The MMA thread

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Conor is not the same fighter he once was due to a few factors

First, simply because when he was coming up through the ranks and had to literally earn contender matchups and title shots, he had the hunger to ''become somebody'' in the mma world.

Unless the person is absolutely obsessed with the sport like GSP was or has a seemingly unbreakable mindset like Jon Jones, it's very hard to win win and win without losing here and there.

Second, because of the inactivity. He himself mentioned that as a reason for this loss. Getting the activity back is very important.

But lastly, and this is the most important one for me, his fighting style simply was perfect for the featherweight division. He can do very well at lightweight and even at welterweight under the right set of circumstances, but maybe not to the extent where he was doing at featherweight. At lightweight guys have either the same speed as him or the same knockout power as him, so it can be harder to take shots or to maintain a high pace for long. At FW he was often the bigger, stronger man.

Mcgregor is a fast starter who used to end fights early, a little bit like Rumble Johnson.
Agree with most of this. Although the inactivity doesn't affect all fighters. Cruz was out for hella long and came back to beat that steroid abusing TJ. With that said, I doubt Cruz was spending his time off coked out of his head.

Luke1995

Agree with most of this. Although the inactivity doesn't affect all fighters. Cruz was out for hella long and came back to beat that steroid abusing TJ. With that said, I doubt Cruz was spending his time off coked out of his head.
Cruz looked very affected by the inactivity against Cejudo, who in theory should have been a easier matchup for Cruz than TJ...

But yeah, he looked very good against TJ. By the way, the cheater is about to come back. IMO TJ should have to go through Rob Font who is ''on fire'' right now, but probably will get a title shot.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Cruz looked very affected by the inactivity against Cejudo, who in theory should have been a easier matchup for Cruz than TJ...

But yeah, he looked very good against TJ. By the way, the cheater is about to come back. IMO TJ should have to go through Rob Font who is ''on fire'' right now, but probably will get a title shot.
If they reward that cheating snake with a title shot then I'll be so disappointed.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Yeah, it appears the years of booze, drugs and not fighting as well as age is catching up with him.

Luke1995

If they reward that cheating snake with a title shot then I'll be so disappointed.
They kinda did it with Jon Jones after he was stripped of his title in 2017. He came back in 2018 and beat Gus.

Since TJ never lost his belt in the cage aswell, I can see that happening

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Everyone's humble when they get their ass handed to them.
I don't understand why the UFC keep pushing this narrative that he's so humble in defeat? He still makes up excuses why he lost, just like any fighter. He lost to Nate because he didn't use his energy efficiently. In his mind, he beat Khabib in the "fight" and that his foot was a balloon. He lost to Poirier because he was inactive and Poirier invented this new unheard of technique where you kick the opponent in the calf.

I'm not having a go at McGregor as this is what nearly all fighters do. They give a reason as to why they lost (although O'Malley just says he won even though he lost). Maybe because McGregor is such a troll in the lead ups that they mention his "humbleness" in defeat?

The most humble interview after a defeat I've seen was Cruz after he got beat by Garbrandt... But then he lost to Cejudo and started calling the ref a chain smoking alcoholic :lol:

Oggmonster

I don't understand why the UFC keep pushing this narrative that he's so humble in defeat? He still makes up excuses why he lost, just like any fighter. He lost to Nate because he didn't use his energy efficiently. In his mind, he beat Khabib in the "fight" and that his foot was a balloon. He lost to Poirier because he was inactive and Poirier invented this new unheard of technique where you kick the opponent in the calf.

I'm not having a go at McGregor as this is what nearly all fighters do. They give a reason as to why they lost (although O'Malley just says he won even though he lost). Maybe because McGregor is such a troll in the lead ups that they mention his "humbleness" in defeat?

The most humble interview after a defeat I've seen was Cruz after he got beat by Garbrandt... But then he lost to Cejudo and started calling the ref a chain smoking alcoholic :lol:

Yeah I'd probably say it's cos in the Diaz fight he wascocky and loud in the build up and pretty quiet post fight. I don't know if humble is the right word he's just a bit more down to earth. It's pretty hard to analyse really cos he's only lost 3 times on the massive stage. Once he said he wasn't losing the fight (Khabib) and the other 2 he gave reasons/excuses for losing like every other fighter does. I'd say in the Diaz fight and the weekends fight he handles defeat well more than he's dead humble about it.

bsCallout

Poirier had some trouble with his accuracy in the first round, but that's about it. Conor looked like he usually does, but without the heart. He was looking at the clock as soon as Dustin took him down. He came in expecting a quick work like last time, not a war.

Not buying the leg excuse either. He didn't lose because his leg gave out, he lost because he was getting destroyed in the stand up just like the first Nate fight, only he couldn't panic wrestle his way out of a KO into a sub this time.
Pretty sure he was not looking at the clock, he was looking at his positioning on the big screen.

Leg excuse? Have you ever been kicked there? His leg was gone. Dan Hardy said it would happen, commentary said it was happening. Once Poirier knew he was there for the taking there is no stopping him.

Last edited:

bsCallout

It's not excuses, he's evaluating his own game and saying where he was weak and not good enough. Big difference.

bsCallout

Conor looked OK. Hurt Poirier a couple of times but ultimately the Poirier game plan worked to a T.

Conor seems to be doing too much boxing and funnily enough looks 'stiff as a board', like he used to criticise other for. He's let go of one of his best attributes, his movement, which helped him get out of trouble too. In the boxing stance, he's looking to trade and tough it out, it's predictable and he's not got an iron chin.

You can tell he's done too much sparring and not enough fighting too, the stance, the lack of respect for the leg kicks(thanks to pads) and trying to ride and block shots like he has headgear and 12oz gloves on.

He'll no doubt come back better and win some big bouts, if he stays active. But there are some beasts at 155 now.

Really think it has to be Oliviera and Poirier for the belt, it would be wrong to give Chandler a shot yet, even though he looks really dangerous.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
It's not excuses, he's evaluating his own game and saying where he was weak and not good enough. Big difference.
Excuse. Reason. Whatever. If you read my post, my point is that he gives his "reasons" for his losses. This is the same as most other fighters. So why do people say he's some example to the yoofs on how to take a defeat? As I said, this is not a knock on him, I just don't understand that line of thinking. Sure, he's not a sore loser like Ronda but he takes his losses like the rest of them.

In the boxing stance, he's looking to trade and tough it out, it's predictable and he's not got an iron chin.

You can tell he's done too much sparring and not enough fighting too, the stance, the lack of respect for the leg kicks(thanks to pads) and trying to ride and block shots like he has headgear and 12oz gloves on.
To the first point here, to be fair to him, he has never been TKOd before and only wobbled once or twice before. His chin isn't bad as far as we know. I think it's more to do with stamina and heart. When he gets tired, it feels like he can't really dig deep within himself to keep going.

As for the second point, as far as I can tell, he was checking some of those shots, just that his technique or something was off as the kicks were still doing damage. Calf kicks are so important in MMA so not sure how the great messiah Coach Kavanagh didn't formulate a better plan to deal with this...

Oggmonster

Excuse. Reason. Whatever. If you read my post, my point is that he gives his "reasons" for his losses. This is the same as most other fighters. So why do people say he's some example to the yoofs on how to take a defeat? As I said, this is not a knock on him, I just don't understand that line of thinking. Sure, he's not a sore loser like Ronda but he takes his losses like the rest of them.

To the first point here, to be fair to him, he has never been TKOd before and only wobbled once or twice before. His chin isn't bad as far as we know. I think it's more to do with stamina and heart. When he gets tired, it feels like he can't really dig deep within himself to keep going.

As for the second point, as far as I can tell, he was checking some of those shots, just that his technique or something was off as the kicks were still doing damage. Calf kicks are so important in MMA so not sure how the great messiah Coach Kavanagh didn't formulate a better plan to deal with this...

I completely agree with what you're saying.

Re the bolded bits

Point 1 I'd imagine cos he is the most popular fighter, especially with the younger demographic. People even copy what he does (how he dresses/acts/haircuts etc) so for him to take a loss well it's probably seen good in that way, he shouldn't be praised anymore than any other fighter cos most of them take a loss pretty well...except Ronda and the Diaz bros who have apparently never lost a fight. He also has far more eyes on him so it's good to see him react to that, a lot of people who are fans of him probably don't care about most other fights. The comparison you made with Cruz before for example, I doubt many Conor fans even saw that!

Point 2, apparently Conor pretty much runs his own camps now and Kavanagh is basically a yes man, he brought in loads of old boxing coaches for this one and it shown with his tactics for that fight I feel.

I think he'd be better off moving camps to be honest, he has the skill set still but Kavanagh just does what he's told which isn't really helping anyone.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
The idea that the leg was just an excuse is silly. You could see it swelling up even in the Octagon:

And saying "the leg wasn't the problem, he got destroyed in the stand up" doesn't make sense either given that legs are rather important when it comes to the stand up (as the term suggests, really).

Those calf kicks are nasty. Which is why you'd expect a fighter to at least be vaguely aware of how to deal with them, rather than wandering around afterwards telling people about them like it's some novel idea they might not know about.

bsCallout

To your first point - The difference is the props he gives his opponents, staying behind to give interviews and evaluating what went wrong rather than using excuses like injuries, training camps, weight cuts or not giving the opponent the acknowledgement for their skill.

Whilst he's never been KO'd, that is because he's given up his back but more importantly as to my other point, his movement gets him out of trouble, he was stationary, looking to block like he has 8oz gloves on.

He partially checked a few kicks, but again due to his lack of movement they were always there. I'm not sure how much of this has to do with Coach and how much is Conor wanted to box more and being too used to having shin guards on.

Poirier nailed it when he said his game plan was to use wrestling, boxing and kicking right from the off, to mix it up and use his MMA skill. Conor didn't and admitted as much in his post fight press conference. He's right that his inactivity has hampered him because unlike sparring he doesn't set the rules of engagement i.e. boxing focused.

TrustInOle

Just seen the viral video, but what the fxck happened between Dana and Eminem? :lol:

Edit. 3:19
I was trolled, as were many reporters. It's was a set up for his video 'Higher' which just so happened to be promoting the event with alot of the big names appearing in the video. Smells like a promotional stunt.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
I completely agree with what you're saying.

Re the bolded bits

Point 1 I'd imagine cos he is the most popular fighter, especially with the younger demographic. People even copy what he does (how he dresses/acts/haircuts etc) so for him to take a loss well it's probably seen good in that way, he shouldn't be praised anymore than any other fighter cos most of them take a loss pretty well...except Ronda and the Diaz bros who have apparently never lost a fight. He also has far more eyes on him so it's good to see him react to that, a lot of people who are fans of him probably don't care about most other fights. The comparison you made with Cruz before for example, I doubt many Conor fans even saw that!

Point 2, apparently Conor pretty much runs his own camps now and Kavanagh is basically a yes man, he brought in loads of old boxing coaches for this one and it shown with his tactics for that fight I feel.

I think he'd be better off moving camps to be honest, he has the skill set still but Kavanagh just does what he's told which isn't really helping anyone.
Very good points thank you. Shame Kavanagh has become a yes man. But McGregor talked so much about loyalty that he probably won't get the help that can catapult him to the next level. Not that he really cares considering he's on the back end of his career. Plus, changing coaches will mean Garbrandt will come around his house and start throwing down leather.

The idea that the leg was just an excuse is silly. You could see it swelling up even in the Octagon:

And saying "the leg wasn't the problem, he got destroyed in the stand up" doesn't make sense either given that legs are rather important when it comes to the stand up (as the term suggests, really).

Those calf kicks are nasty. Which is why you'd expect a fighter to at least be vaguely aware of how to deal with them, rather than wandering around afterwards telling people about them like it's some novel idea they might not know about.
This :lol: . It reminds me of Thiago Santos. There was a fight when he got jabbed and he wobbled with his face looking completely shocked. I think he even glanced at his corner when it happened. It really felt like he'd never heard of a jab in his life. I could imagine Him in the corner between rounds:

"Coach! Did you see that sorcery?!? How did he do that? What the hell even was that?"

To your first point - The difference is the props he gives his opponents, staying behind to give interviews and evaluating what went wrong rather than using excuses like injuries, training camps, weight cuts or not giving the opponent the acknowledgement for their skill.

Whilst he's never been KO'd, that is because he's given up his back but more importantly as to my other point, his movement gets him out of trouble, he was stationary, looking to block like he has 8oz gloves on.

He partially checked a few kicks, but again due to his lack of movement they were always there. I'm not sure how much of this has to do with Coach and how much is Conor wanted to box more and being too used to having shin guards on.

Poirier nailed it when he said his game plan was to use wrestling, boxing and kicking right from the off, to mix it up and use his MMA skill. Conor didn't and admitted as much in his post fight press conference. He's right that his inactivity has hampered him because unlike sparring he doesn't set the rules of engagement i.e. boxing focused.
I dunno. I feel most fighters give props after they are soundly beaten. Gaethje (against Khabib), DC (after the Stipe trilogy), Cruz (Garbs), Woodley (Usman), Askren (after he ate the MGM grand buffet) etc.

Although O'Malley, the Diaz Bros and Ferguson (and McGregor after Khabib) act like they won the fights they lost :lol:

Even the UFC do the above. Giving Aldo a title shot after he lost to Marlon :lol:

TrustInOle

That looks nasty! There was a video of him barely managing to walk to his car after the fight, and he still opened the door for his wife on the opposite side. Champ!

bsCallout

Very good points thank you. Shame Kavanagh has become a yes man. But McGregor talked so much about loyalty that he probably won't get the help that can catapult him to the next level. Not that he really cares considering he's on the back end of his career. Plus, changing coaches will mean Garbrandt will come around his house and start throwing down leather.

This :lol: . It reminds me of Thiago Santos. There was a fight when he got jabbed and he wobbled with his face looking completely shocked. I think he even glanced at his corner when it happened. It really felt like he'd never heard of a jab in his life. I could imagine Him in the corner between rounds:

"Coach! Did you see that sorcery?!? How did he do that? What the hell even was that?"

I dunno. I feel most fighters give props after they are soundly beaten. Gaethje (against Khabib), DC (after the Stipe trilogy), Cruz (Garbs), Woodley (Usman), Askren (after he ate the MGM grand buffet) etc.

Although O'Malley, the Diaz Bros and Ferguson (and McGregor after Khabib) act like they won the fights they lost :lol:

Even the UFC do the above. Giving Aldo a title shot after he lost to Marlon :lol:
I think it's just a case of his profile, confidence/arrogance, and prefight talk is so big that it's refreshing the respect he gives post fight. There are plenty of fighters that are sore losers though.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
I think it's just a case of his profile, confidence/arrogance, and prefight talk is so big that it's refreshing the respect he gives post fight. There are plenty of fighters that are sore losers though.
Yep:

Sean O'Malley after being stopped: "yo dwag, you only won 'cos you injured my leg. I won that fight!"

Diaz bros after every fight: "yo yo hol up hol up, I slapped him. I punked him You tell me who won. Sheeeet."

Ferguson after losing literally every second of his fight with Oilviera: "I was in his head. He was scared. I got to him"

:lol:

bsCallout

Yep:

Sean O'Malley after being stopped: "yo dwag, you only won 'cos you injured my leg. I won that fight!"

Diaz bros after every fight: "yo yo hol up hol up, I slapped him. I punked him You tell me who won. Sheeeet."

Ferguson after losing literally every second of his fight with Oilviera: "I was in his head. He was scared. I got to him"

:lol:
I think you kind of would expect that from McGregor based on his prefight talk, such as 'I'll finish him in 60'

Oliviera played with Ferguson so bad, he's my tip for next champ.

Oggmonster

:lol: He really shot himself in the foot with that comment and making such a big deal of loyalty etc and being disloyal if you switch teams. I'm sure he wouldn't do it anyway as he does seem close to them all but I really do think it would help having a change of scenery.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
:lol: He really shot himself in the foot with that comment and making such a big deal of loyalty etc and being disloyal if you switch teams. I'm sure he wouldn't do it anyway as he does seem close to them all but I really do think it would help having a change of scenery.
I bet TJ on the phone to him right now saying "do it... Do it..."

Why that fight was scrapped anyway ? They were scheduled to go at it once.
I can't remember. Maybe Lentz got injured or something... I'm sure it was him that dropped out as opposed to BJ. I could be wrong though. Maybe you can Google it and respond here in the form of a Limerick.

Champagne Football

McGregor has lost that aura he had and I think it's gone for good. Earned too much money and partied too much to ever have it back. He's already gone through his 'street fighter suddenly turned out of control wealthy party animal faze',.... that dark period many great fighters go through like Tyson Fury, Ricky Hatton, Mike Tyson, De La Hoya etc, and he's definitely lost his edge permanently but finally looks like he's maturing as a man.

Will be interesting to see who becomes the 155 pound king. Probably Dustin as he seems to improve with every fight.

Luke1995

@Dirty Schwein Apparently Dana White cut BJ from the UFC after another trouble with the law. So they gave Lentz a new opponent at that time.

By the way, I just saw an article today that BJ was arrested... hopefully he isn't thinking about fighting again as that can be bad for the body and the mind.

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
Any word on Dan Hooker yet? He took his gloves off and threw them into the octagon after the KO loss.

Lentz might not be the only fighter retired during last weekend. :nervous:

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
@Dirty Schwein Apparently Dana White cut BJ from the UFC after another trouble with the law. So they gave Lentz a new opponent at that time.

By the way, I just saw an article today that BJ was arrested... hopefully he isn't thinking about fighting again as that can be bad for the body and the mind.
Really? I swear BJ fight Ryan Hall and someone else after the fight with Lentz got called off?

Any word on Dan Hooker yet? He took his gloves off and threw them into the octagon after the KO loss.

Lentz might not be the only fighter retired during last weekend. :nervous:
Oh yeah forgot about that. Well he finally got some traction, then after that "performance", he's back to being a journeyman most likely so maybe he thought enough is enough. But I never take decisions made in the heat of the moment seriously.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
That looks nasty! There was a video of him barely managing to walk to his car after the fight, and he still opened the door for his wife on the opposite side. Champ!
Yeah he's a proper gentlemen.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
I'm liking this guy more and more...

Always thought the same. I know if I was knocked out in a pro fight I wouldn't want that shit. No hard feelings, sure, but I don't want hugs from a dude who just put my lights out! The fighter's team is there to pick them up and dust them off.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
I'm liking this guy more and more...

Always thought the same. I know if I was knocked out in a pro fight I wouldn't want that shit. No hard feelings, sure, but I don't want hugs from a dude who just put my lights out! The fighter's team is there to pick them up and dust them off.
Remember when Romero practically forced his tongue down Rockhold's throat after knocking him out :lol:

Oggmonster

Remember when Romero practically forced his tongue down Rockhold's throat after knocking him out :lol:
That was weird as feck and on that occasion I think he knew what he was doing, part of the long list of stuff that makes him a huge cnut (he gets a pass for some reason though, think cos he's such a freakish looking guy it's almost novelty.)

A lot of the time the hugging etc seems a cultural thing. Maybe I'm completely wrong here but it seems to be done by a lot of the South American fighters as soon as the KO happens (albeit I know Romero isn't South American for example.) European/North American fighters tend to celebrate with their teams and then go over once the fighter has recovered slightly...like Chandler did vs. Hooker or Dustin vs. Conor this past weekend.

bsCallout

McGregor has lost that aura he had and I think it's gone for good. Earned too much money and partied too much to ever have it back. He's already gone through his 'street fighter suddenly turned out of control wealthy party animal faze',.... that dark period many great fighters go through like Tyson Fury, Ricky Hatton, Mike Tyson, De La Hoya etc, and he's definitely lost his edge permanently but finally looks like he's maturing as a man.

Will be interesting to see who becomes the 155 pound king. Probably Dustin as he seems to improve with every fight.
Oliveira if he gets the shot. Beast.

Name Changed

weso26
But you cant dismiss winning the title in a dominating fashion as not a quality win.
I worry about 155 without Conor and Khabib, a lot of the star power and interest is gone without them
It's still stacked. Poirier, Gaethje, Chandler, Hooker, Felder and the likes of Islam coming through. And everyone seems to be forgetting about Oliveira. It should be Poirier v Oliveira.

Name Changed

weso26

While everyone else was training and improving over the last few years, Conor has been doing other things and putting god knows what into his body. You cannot be world champion unless most of your focus is into training and fighting. MMA is secondary to him at best. He should just retire. Love him or hate him he did a lot for the sport, especially when it comes to fighter pay. He could still be a top fighter but I doubt he will, his hunger is clearly gone.