The MMA thread

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Anyone watching Askren Paul fight? Or paying for it ? It’s £17 in uk so not too bad. :nervous:

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
I don’t for a moment think he is lying. But I I was him I wouldn’t be blaming the push. Maybe he is just ill?

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
I don’t for a moment think he is lying. But I I was him I wouldn’t be blaming the push. Maybe he is just ill?
Like I said, he came flying out of his sandals. That was a hard ass push. Like something out of Mortal Kombat.

justboy68

Pretty mediocre card overall tonight so outside of the main event this is the fight I am most looking forward to. Always exciting to see new potential HW talent.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
I turned on the Paul/Askren thing. Currently Frank Mir is boxing someone while Oscar De La Hoya is on commentary and coked out of his brain.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Just saw the "fight" on YouTube.

Ben Askren had the physique of my wife when she was 6 months pregnant.

The man is a joke. Despite being an Olympian and MMA champion, his legacy will be this KO and when Masvidal fed him the MGM Grand Buffet.

Hopefully the money was worth a lifetime as a meme.

Glad Bobby Knuckles won! Love him.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Surely a few years training won’t turn a shit boxer into a good boxer? Akrem was a wrestler who trained in MMA but is there any reason this means he will end up better than someone who has more of the natural attributes needed to be boxer? Surely he only ever used striking as a means to setting up a takedown. Which is completely different to actually trying to out-box an opponent.

I mean, you could take an elite rugby player and train him for years in how to play football and he may never end up any better than a half decent amateur.

redom

Surely a few years training won’t turn a shit boxer into a good boxer? Akrem was a wrestler who trained in MMA but is there any reason this means he will end up better than someone who has more of the natural attributes needed to be boxer? Surely he only ever used striking as a means to setting up a takedown. Which is completely different to actually trying to out-box an opponent.

I mean, you could take an elite rugby player and train him for years in how to play football and he may never end up any better than a half decent amateur.
And that was extremely limited, just watched the Askren vs Maia highlights as I remember his striking being hilariously bad in that and the top comment is "Ben fights like he's In the dark and being pepper sprayed." which gave me a laugh. It was honestly the absolute best match up Jake Paul could've asked for to get a real fighter that he could still look good against. Sooner or later Paul will bite off more than he can chew as there aren't many fighters with the profile he's looking for as an opponent that are also so limited in their striking.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
And that was extremely limited, just watched the Askren vs Maia highlights as I remember his striking being hilariously bad in that and the top comment is "Ben fights like he's In the dark and being pepper sprayed." which gave me a laugh. It was honestly the absolute best match up Jake Paul could've asked for to get a real fighter that he could still look good against. Sooner or later Paul will bite off more than he can chew as there aren't many fighters with the profile he's looking for as an opponent that are also so limited in their striking.
I think he'll call for Dillon Dannis next.

redom

I think he'll call for Dillon Dannis next.
Yeah, seems like he was one of the options before Askren got confirmed seeing the bullshit they pulled with him on Schaubs Food Truck interview. He certainly fits the bill of being willing to take part in the "promo" and not known for his striking, plus I think he'd be quite a bit smaller than Paul too.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Well looks like this is my main sport to watch now. :(
At least it’s a worthy sport.

Carolina Red

Staff

Exactly. Ben was never a good striker in MMA anyway. He used his skills on the mat to win matches.

Heck, for that matter, he wasn’t a great pure wrestler either. He was great in wrestling because of his mind’s ability to think ahead of his opponents and that leading to his uncanny ability to scramble out of bad situations on the mat.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Glad I didn't watch live. What a farce. Seriously, any event with Snoop Dog as the pundit should be avoided.