The MMA thread

Ladron de redcafe

Kamaru Usman is teasing retiring after beating Masvidal:

“Being a realist, and I’m honest with myself, and I know that I can’t do this forever, and I don’t want to do this forever,” Usman said, per Clyde Aidoo of MMA News. “Like I said, we’re on a track right now, and I’m just so far ahead of these guys that I’m coming back around and I’m lapping them now.”

Dana White had promised Covington a rematch and Usman doesn't seem keen to be fighting the same people again.

It's worth noting that he's 34 and has had multiple knee issues. If he does "retire" here, he's wasting the last 2 years of his prime. He isn't GSP, Cruz etc. He isn't going to come back a few years from now and win the championship again.

In any case, who has Usman winning on Sunday, and who thinks Masvidal has a good chance?

Ladron de redcafe

This is a rematch. An undeserved one at that
It is, and Usman rationalised it by saying that he's granting this one because he doesn't want excuses (Masvidal had been chalking off the previous loss due to not having a full camp).

I agree that it isn't deserved and I think the only reason Kamaru chose Masvidal here is because it's the biggest money fight with the least risk. Nothing about the first fight suggested that Masvidal deserves a rematch.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Kamaru Usman is teasing retiring after beating Masvidal:

“Being a realist, and I’m honest with myself, and I know that I can’t do this forever, and I don’t want to do this forever,” Usman said, per Clyde Aidoo of MMA News. “Like I said, we’re on a track right now, and I’m just so far ahead of these guys that I’m coming back around and I’m lapping them now.”

Dana White had promised Covington a rematch and Usman doesn't seem keen to be fighting the same people again.

It's worth noting that he's 34 and has had multiple knee issues. If he does "retire" here, he's wasting the last 2 years of his prime. He isn't GSP, Cruz etc. He isn't going to come back a few years from now and win the championship again.

In any case, who has Usman winning on Sunday, and who thinks Masvidal has a good chance?
I think Masvidal has a great chance of winning. The excuses of taking fight 1 on short notice during COVID are pretty legit, as no fighter would've been able to beat a reigning champ under those conditions.

Ladron de redcafe

I think Masvidal has a great chance of winning. The excuses of taking fight 1 on short notice during COVID are pretty legit, as no fighter would've been able to beat a reigning champ under those conditions.
It remains to be seen. I think Usman manhandles him again because Masvidal simply isn't an elite fighter in my opinion. He's always been a glorified gatekeeper and while his Tony Montana shtick might make him interesting to some, it doesn't make him a great fighter.

Regarding the excuse he keeps harping about, Dustin Poirier pointed out that Masvidal was training well in advance for Usman in case the fight materialised. It was Usman who wasn't ready for a fight with Masvidal and had to change his game plan and cater it to Masvidal on 6 days. He then promptly walked in and won in 3rd gear.

I'd love to be wrong simply because I don't want to see another fighter retire with a win, but I don't think Masvidal has even a miniscule chance. I think it will be an easy one again.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
I dont see anyway for Masvidal to win.

As mentiioned above, he was simply a gatekeeper for years with plenty of losses on his record, I think Usman wins again comfortably by decision

But MMA can through up surprises quite often, so I am covering myself too :angel:

Raoul

Admin
Staff
It remains to be seen. I think Usman manhandles him again because Masvidal simply isn't an elite fighter in my opinion. He's always been a glorified gatekeeper and while his Tony Montana shtick might make him interesting to some, it doesn't make him a great fighter.

Regarding the excuse he keeps harping about, Dustin Poirier pointed out that Masvidal was training well in advance for Usman in case the fight materialised. It was Usman who wasn't ready for a fight with Masvidal and had to change his game plan and cater it to Masvidal on 6 days. He then promptly walked in and won in 3rd gear.

I'd love to be wrong simply because I don't want to see another fighter retire with a win, but I don't think Masvidal has even a miniscule chance. I think it will be an easy one again.
Yes, I do agree that Usman had to make some adjustments as well, but all things considered, the idea that a fighter takes his training as seriously when he doesn't have a fight locked in compared with when he does is a bit hard to believe. Usman could very well win this fight, but I have sneaking suspicion that Masvidal has been working on the deficiencies from fight one and will be better prepared this time.

Last edited:

MarylandMUFan

With Trevor Whitman in his corner, I don't see Usman losing (he has shown he can take blows so I just don't see Masvidal catching him with a lucky punch. Stranger things than that have happened but I think the betting line reflects the odds in this case.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Can't wait until tomorrow now. Good appetiser tonight in Bellator. :drool:

Oggmonster

Dana really fecked up not signing Loughnane when he had the chance. When it comes around again he's gonna get a much better deal.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
Is this one of the late starting ones, or can i watch before i go to bed if i don't play to sit up till 7 in the morning?

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
It's a late one.
Oh well... then i'll do the usual plan to go to bed early, end up going to bed a bit late, but not late enough to watch the main event, be stupid and check results tomorrow when i wake up, which makes me not want to watch the fights knowing the result :lol:

sizzling sausages

Thinks TBP is a soft tagline whore
Scout
Oh well... then i'll do the usual plan to go to bed early, end up going to bed a bit late, but not late enough to watch the main event, be stupid and check results tomorrow when i wake up, which makes me not want to watch the fights knowing the result :lol:
The co-main event is the only "unmissable" one for me. The other fights I wouldn't care all that much if I didn't manage to see them.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
On a side note. Not digging these designs on the Venum gear.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
Not sure about that. But either way what a fecking warrior to not tap out at the end

DrRodo

Honest worker, never posts
Foot drop, caused by peroneal nerve injury, is what most probably happened

The same happened to sean omalley in his fight with chito vera