The MMA thread

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I’m not saying he’s on par with professional boxers but he’d beat Paul or rather someone of Paul’s ability in his weight class. I’m under no illusions in the gap between good boxers with good amateur record (yan) to elite boxers with incredible amateur record (Loma).

I didn’t read the conversation to be honest so it’s my fault. Thought I’d offer my two pence on whom was good at boxing in UFC and I was judging only by mma standards and not by professional boxing.
The problem for me is that I see Yan as Paul in his weight class and I don't think that Paul would do well in his own weight class against pro boxers.

Abraxas

A bit of an embarrassment for the MMA that a somewhat credible name like this gets done in by a YouTuber, albeit one that's committed. Surely these guys should have better boxing ability than that even if they have to be well rounded. I don't think any MMA guy would do that well in boxing. It depends how you define well, but I don't see them operating at a world class level.

I still don't think he'd have any chance against a good boxer. He's been matched very cleverly. Whether Tommy Fury is an actual top boxer remains to be seen. He's very inexperienced himself as an amateur and professional. He can only really talk about sparring experience as a key advantage.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
The problem for me is that I see Yan as Paul in his weight class and I don't think that Paul would do well in his own weight class against pro boxers.
I think you’re not giving Yan enough credit. I mean he’s very good at boxing. He’s shown plenty of times; - his movement, his offence and defence in the cage. Paul, undoubtedly has something, in regards to boxing, but I don’t think he’s been anywhere near under the same pressure that Yan has been under.

I realise that this comparison is flawed, but I’m just using my eye test and some sort of logic - I think? Haha. Anyhoo, until we see Yan (at present, ie somewhere near his prime with boxing gloves on) in the boxing ring, we cannot really compare them.

Again, I think Yan is the most rounder boxer in UFC. Whilst I believe this, I don’t think he’s good enough to challenge someone like Lopez or Loma or even guys on the peripheral level whom Loma took the piss out of. All I’m saying is that Yan is a good boxer for MMA and if a middleweight had the same boxing prowess as Yan - I don’t think Paul would be calling that guy out.

Paxi

A bit of an embarrassment for the MMA that a somewhat credible name like this gets done in by a YouTuber, albeit one that's committed. Surely these guys should have better boxing ability than that even if they have to be well rounded. I don't think any MMA guy would do that well in boxing. It depends how you define well, but I don't see them operating at a world class level.

I still don't think he'd have any chance against a good boxer. He's been matched very cleverly. Whether Tommy Fury is an actual top boxer remains to be seen. He's very inexperienced himself as an amateur and professional. He can only really talk about sparring experience as a key advantage.
I don’t think it’s an embarrassment for anyone whom truly likes the sport. All it has shown us that MMA is exactly what it says on the tin and that grappling reigns supreme over striking in MMA. Or else how on earth did Woodley become champ?

Paxi

I was never that much of a boxing fan but I was fecking done after GGG was robbed vs Canelo.

Abraxas

I don’t think it’s an embarrassment for anyone whom truly likes the sport. All it has shown us that MMA is exactly what it says on the tin and that grappling reigns supreme over striking in MMA. Or else how on earth did Woodley become champ?
The times I've seen Woodley he's done just as much boxing as grappling. Mainly moving around and throwing haymakers with some wrestling thrown in, so it is reasonable to think that he trained both extensively. It at the very least suggests the standards of boxing are pretty poor if he is knocking people out over there.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
He actually became champ by sparking Lawler though you could argue it was the threat of the takedown that allowed him to land that clean KO.

Paxi

The times I've seen Woodley he's done just as much boxing as grappling. Mainly moving around and throwing haymakers with some wrestling thrown in, so it is reasonable to think that he trained both extensively. It at the very least suggests the standards of boxing are pretty poor if he is knocking people out over there.
He actually became champ by sparking Lawler though you could argue it was the threat of the takedown that allowed him to land that clean KO.
I think his striking is alright. It’s not great and not as bad Ben Askrens. I think, myself included, (wink and a nod @JPRouve ) use boxing very loosely.

JPRouve

Scout
I think you’re not giving Yan enough credit. I mean he’s very good at boxing. He’s shown plenty of times; - his movement, his offence and defence in the cage. Paul, undoubtedly has something, in regards to boxing, but I don’t think he’s been anywhere near under the same pressure that Yan has been under.

I realise that this comparison is flawed, but I’m just using my eye test and some sort of logic - I think? Haha. Anyhoo, until we see Yan (at present, ie somewhere near his prime with boxing gloves on) in the boxing ring, we cannot really compare them.

Again, I think Yan is the most rounder boxer in UFC. Whilst I believe this, I don’t think he’s good enough to challenge someone like Lopez or Loma or even guys on the peripheral level whom Loma took the piss out of. All I’m saying is that Yan is a good boxer for MMA and if a middleweight had the same boxing prowess as Yan - I don’t think Paul would be calling that guy out.
Not among boxers. Compare him to lower ranked featherweights and tell me that you don't see the difference. The thing about Paul is that he is a cruiserweight, like heavyweights they don't move as well and are generally aesthetically not as nice to watch than lighter divisions, Paul flaws are obvious but you actually see similar professional boxers in lower ranks.

If I'm not mistaken Yan didn't make the national team in boxing as a teenager, now think about the fact that most of the people making those national teams end up not being not very good boxers, some of them fail to become professionals. Now there is a lot of bs in boxing and knowing the right promoter can make the difference but we are still talking about the best of the best among the best.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
But in MMA his striking worked because of the threat of the takedown. When it's pure boxing, Woodley is clearly a dear in the headlights.

Paxi

Not among boxers. Compare him to lower ranked featherweights and tell me that you don't see the difference. The thing about Paul is that he is a cruiserweight, like heavyweights they don't move as well and are generally aesthetically not as nice to watch than lighter divisions, Paul flaws are obvious but you actually see similar professional boxers in lower ranks.

If I'm not mistaken Yan didn't make the national team in boxing as a teenager, now think about the fact that most of the people making those national teams end up not being not very good boxers, some of them fail to become professionals. Now there is a lot of bs in boxing and knowing the right promoter can make the difference but we are still talking about the best of the best among the best.
I think we agree? I mean I keep saying that Yan is one of the best in UFC? Or do you disagree?

JPRouve

Scout
I think we agree? I mean I keep saying that Yan is one of the best in UFC? Or do you disagree?
I didn't realize that it was your point. Yes Yan is arguably the best, I don't even know if it's arguable.

Paxi

I didn't realize that it was your point. Yes Yan is arguably the best, I don't even know if it's arguable.
Yeah that was my point all along mate. I’m certainly the biggest Yan fan on the caf cause he literally lives down the road from me but even I wouldn’t have him challenging Lopez and Loma etc.

redom

Don't think it reflects badly on MMA, imagine it the other way around and Jake Paul was challenging a bunch of over the hill boxers to MMA after he'd been doing serious training, he'd kick their legs out from under them or choke them out within minutes because they're different art forms. I'm not sure how much straight up boxing Woodley has ever done, MMA striking is so different I don't think it would've been beneficial to train boxing so unless an MMA guy has a background in amateur boxing then apart from having combat experience they're complete newcomers to the sport so their timing, footwork etc etc is very different. If anything you could say it's a disadvantage as their years of MMA will have ingrained habits that actively harm them when crossing over to boxing.

Anyway, with UFC done for the year who's everyone keeping an eye on for 2022? the Islam and Chimaev title runs could be fun, Adesanyas nemesis Pereira could get fast tracked too. Joel Alvarez will be a handful at lightweight if he can actually make weight and I think Aspinall will keep his slow and steady progression going. I wish the UFC had a Christmas schedule like the PL, I'd love to watch some stacked cards on boxing day and New Years :D

Gordon S

I´m not sure what the point is of talking about how good (or bad) boxers MMA fighters are? It is clearly a completely different sport no?

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
I´m not sure what the point is of talking about how good (or bad) boxers MMA fighters are? It is clearly a completely different sport no?
But there is boxing involved in MMA, were just trying to see who would do the best in a boxing ring considering so many UFC fighters want to box and get that pay day.

JP77

Paul hasn’t fought a single boxer yet. It’s brilliant marketing to build his profile and continue to rake in money and fame. They’ve done a brilliant marketing job so much so that some people actually believed even Askren stood a chance against him. Paul is a young athletic guy that’s clearly taking it seriously and training well, they’re picking the absolute perfect fights for him though and Woodley was ideal, a guy with some name value that was a world champion in MMA that they could really make people believe was a legit threat and quality opponent.

Nobody is convincing me that Jake Paul will not look like a deer in the headlights when he eventually fights a legit boxer, if that actually ever happens. Fury even with limited experience would take him apart, the only way I see that not happening is if he lets the occasion get the better of him and bottles it, personally don’t see that happening though. Paul would absolutely love Masvidal or Diaz to fight him, another huge pay day against two guys who he stands a genuinely good chance of beating in a boxing ring. Hopefully he fights Fury next in a few months time though.

Paxi

I’m so dumb - I’m just re-watching Yan vs Sterling and Yan adopted such a Muay Thai stance.

Just shows you how much of an amateur hour that’s going on inside my head.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Dana won’t except obviously, but I’m surprised the long term health care isn’t being considered, if only from a PR perspective

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
Paul is pandering to the MMA fans because boxing fans have already sailed ship from his boring crappy fights.

feck him. Anyone thinking this guy legit cares about fighters would be quite gullible. This guy is all about himself.

Same as Dana. Dana will keep him around for the laughs and for the chance to bring over some of the Paul's diminishing fanbase into the UFC.

ps. Can you retire from boxing without even fighting a boxer first?

Evans999

Cannot wait for Yan to destroy Aljamain. He talks so much rubbish for who's never won a title fight.

redom

Can't say I'm that excited for the Holloway vs Volkanovski trilogy but I get it as Max deserves another shot and there's no other clear contender at the moment, similar to Moreno vs Figueiredo 3 I suppose.

Ladron de redcafe

Cannot wait for Yan to destroy Aljamain. He talks so much rubbish for who's never won a title fight.
I think that he was trying to play a heel (if people think you exaggerated the effects of the knee and don't deserve your title, then what better way to get people to react than play obnoxious bellend in the aftermath).

Having said that, he is rubbish, and I think Yan will pick up right where he left off and destroy him. Sterling's 15 minutes of fame are about to come to an end.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Can't say I'm that excited for the Holloway vs Volkanovski trilogy but I get it as Max deserves another shot and there's no other clear contender at the moment, similar to Moreno vs Figueiredo 3 I suppose.
I’m assuming Volko could move up at some stage, don’t think I’ve ever heard anything about it though

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
I think that he was trying to play a heel (if people think you exaggerated the effects of the knee and don't deserve your title, then what better way to get people to react than play obnoxious bellend in the aftermath).

Having said that, he is rubbish, and I think Yan will pick up right where he left off and destroy him. Sterling's 15 minutes of fame are about to come to an end.
The issues is Aljo first tried to play it off straight, refusing the belt etc...

If I were him, I would wait for Dana to put the belt on, then instantly start breakdancing and laughing at Yan's face. Get some proper Ric Flair heat that way :lol: