The MMA thread

Oldyella

I would love to see that Jon Jones again, I wanted to buy a Bones shirt back in those days, such an artist.

Now he's the most boring fighter I can think of.
He just decided that whenever he would fight he would match up with his opponent. Impressive but made for boring fights. The Jon that walked through all those big names was really exciting.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
He just decided that whenever he would fight he would match up with his opponent. Impressive but made for boring fights. The Jon that walked through all those big names was really exciting.
Meaning he would kick the knee evade and counter only?

It made sense for the Cormier fights to stay conservative on the outside. I can't say he showed much in the fight against Texeiera, and his wins after that, OSP, Gustafsson 2, Anthony Smith, Thiago Santos and Dominick Reyes were all boring (he did finish Gus though the guy looked horrible).

It's smart to fight that way, it's to his strengths, but it's not entertaining.

Charlie Foley

expect Colby to win but I’m looking forward to this. The trash talk should get pretty heated and I’m hoping they knock seven shades of shite out of each other.

Ladron de redcafe

It's an interesting fight in a division that seems stagnant. But I'm not sure what a win does for either, here. Let's say Colby wins. Does that warrant a (3rd) title fight against Usman? it's the same situation with Masvidal.

On the other hand, whoever loses has his stock drop a bit.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
It's an interesting fight in a division that seems stagnant. But I'm not sure what a win does for either, here. Let's say Colby wins. Does that warrant a (3rd) title fight against Usman? it's the same situation with Masvidal.

On the other hand, whoever loses has his stock drop a bit.
I think Usman has to fight Edwards at some point soon. That may give the UFC enough time to figure out what to do with Chimaev. If he beats his next opponent they will start to shop him around for a #1 contender fight.

Ladron de redcafe

I think Usman has to fight Edwards at some point soon. That may give the UFC enough time to figure out what to do with Chimaev. If he beats his next opponent they will start to shop him around for a #1 contender fight.
That sounds like a solution. They can't just give Chimaev a title fight right away. Doing it your way, Edwards gets his shot, and Chimaev gets at least one or two more wins against ranked guys so that it's more palatable when he's given the title shot.

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
Chimaev is probably fighting Usman if he beats Burns on a one sided manner. That fight is in the works for april 9.

Poor Leon will have to rematch Belal I think, both on big win streaks. We'll see.

ps. If Kamaru has any say on this, he will probably push for the easier route (Leon), and maybe even retire after that. No money on that fight though, but he made a lot on the Masvidal/Covington ones.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Chimaev is probably fighting Usman if he beats Burns on a one sided manner. That fight is in the works for april 9.

Poor Leon will have to rematch Belal I think, both on big win streaks. We'll see.
I didn't know Chimaev is fighting Burns. Is that definite or just a rumor ?

George Owen

I didn't know Chimaev is fighting Burns. Is that definite or just a rumor ?
Chimaev was gonna fight Belal, but Burns called him out, so Chimaev said feck you to Belal, and took the higher ranked option.

For now is in the works, but should be official soon hopefully.

Red Rash

Should be a good fight but expect Colby to win this pretty comfortably especially if he utilises his wrestling early.

If Colby wins it will be difficult to know what to do with him. In my opinion I'd love to see another fight with Usman because both fights were great and close contests.

George Owen

Should be a good fight but expect Colby to win this pretty comfortably especially if he utilises his wrestling early.

If Colby wins it will be difficult to know what to do with him. In my opinion I'd love to see another fight with Usman because both fights were great and close contests.
Yeah, might end up being similar to Usman vs Masvidal 1.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Uriah is an absolute legend. Wouldn't mind a Faber vs Swanson fight. 20 years in the fight game is no joke

Luke1995

Thoughts on Katter vs Chikadze?
If peak Kattar shows up, he has the ability to pick Chikadze apart. However, you has to wonder how much the Holloway fight took out of him.

I think Chikadze has a higher possibility to finish the fight in explosive bursts of pace. Kattar is a more calculated fighter.

Expect this to be very competitive until either Chikadze finds a finish or he fades in the later rounds and Kattar takes over.

Luke1995

Any other fights on this card that are worth checking out ? It looks like a card designed just to fill out these ESPN spots, without a proper look at quality of matchups.

George Owen

Any other fights on this card that are worth checking out ? It looks like a card designed just to fill out these ESPN spots, without a proper look at quality of matchups.
This shitty cards on paper, usually deliver good fun. Personally, looking forward to the Royval/Bontorin fight.

I too think that Giga should take over soon and he will be looking for the finish. Kattar has never been finished or knocked down, so it's gonna be a tough ask for Giga, although Max worked that chin a lot so he might be ripe. Definitely can see Kattar coming back to take over on the later rounds if Giga can't find the finish.

I'm hoping for the KO though. Giga striking is just on another level. Expect Kattar to try to wrestle early on to avoid getting pieced up.