The MNF question: 10 minutes left in a game, pick anyone in history to win for you coming off the bench.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Bierhoff is not a bad shout.

I am thinking fat Ronaldo or Suarez.

Suarez because I'd want someone to come in with loads of energy, involvement, unpredictability and balls and quality to try something the others haven't and he's all about that.

Fat Ronaldo because his individual quality and goalscoring nous is unparalleled.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
Surpsired no one has said fat Ronaldo. In his prime, ive never seen a more complete striker!

90 + 5min

Lot of great players but my choice would be Van Nistelrooy if we are talking Manchester United.

Dante

Average bang
I haven't checked the stats, but I think Giroud scores in the 92nd of every single match he's ever played.

Infra-red

Gerd Müller.

Reading about his exploits in the last few weeks since his death - the man was an absolute goal machine. One of the most lethal finishers ever.

Sylar

I don’t know what this was supposed to say but if it’s bashing Messi I agree. Some of the rest of you need to check where your loyalties lie. Ronaldo is Utd through and through.
Oh, when Neville put a graphic up to compare Messi and Ronaldo, it said that Messi had 0 international trophies and only 3 CL trophies. I dont know how Sky managed to do that.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
To avoid the messi or Ronaldo thing i'll go with R9.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
My answer is of course the man with the long 99 treble toe.

But a outsider pick: Miroslav Klose

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
Question Gary was posed and he went with C.Ronaldo.

Perhaps a contrivance, or maybe what he genuinely thinks, who knows… other than it being MNF’s segway into another Messi vs. Ronaldo eternal conflict.

Who would you go with if posed the same question from anyone who has ever played the game? Before anyone asks, no further context was given than given in the header, so I guess it’s open to interpretation what type of team or service this player will get.
The question that Neville asked is not how you should determine who is the greatest player of all time. But the correct answer is ……..Pele.

Why?

A) He could score any type of goal. Left foot, right foot, off the dribble, outside the box, inside the box, after intricate one-twos, headers etc.

B) His goal record in big games and finals is unmatched. He still to this day holds the record for goals scored in a World Cup final (jointly with Zidane and Hurst, but Hurst scored all his in one final on home soil and one of Zidane’s was a penalty). Plus his 3 goals in two WC finals (12 years apart) show his range: one was a brilliant piece of ball juggling that took out 2 defenders, one was a towering header and one was a poacher’s finish. In the biggest game of all.

C) He has literally scored more goals than anyone else in history, though his ‘official’ record has been broken (by a player that’s played over 300 more ‘official’ games).

D) He can create goals as well, with dribbling and passing/playmaking. His football IQ was off the scale. Winning the game is not just about scoring: maybe an easy chance can be created for someone else to score. That’s why I wouldn’t pick someone like Gerd Muller.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I don't think the question is about who starts or doesn't start.
You want a player you need a big moment from.
If you're not picking Ronaldo, you need your head checked as far as I am concerned.
I am still in the Messi camp for GOAT but the number of times Ronaldo saved Madrid in the CL was ridiculous, especially in games they were very poor.
I would often joke with myself saying to Ronaldo "let's see you get them out of this jam", then he would pop up with a goal.

Last edited:

youngrell

It would be RVN for me. I would count on him putting the ball in the net from any position within the box, no matter how the ball was delivered to him.

0le

Ronaldinho.

Skills, goals and a smile to top it off.

It's not just somebody who can score but somebody who will scare opponents with relentless running, with strength and speed to bully their way through if skill doesn't work. Grind the defenders down until they make a mistake.

That has to be fat Ronaldo, at his peak the most unstoppable player I have ever seen.

marktan

Maradonna as you might have a shit team and so a goal scorer would be of no use. Diego can create and score.

Maybe Suarez too, he had that weird ability to do something completely unexpected. Scored a lot of wtf type goals.

Prime Cristiano you ideally want to have over a full 90, he'd try a lot of things at defenders but not all of it would come off. You ideally want to give him more than 10 minutes.

ThehatchetMan

Plz look at Me! Pay attention to Me!
Supports
Crusaders FC
A more recent suggestion would be Luis Muriel at Atlanta. The modern day OGS

Spoony

The People's President
Last ten mins? probably Ronaldo(Brazilian). Maradona is the best player I've been, but coming off the bench my gut feeling feeling is it has to be R9.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
It's not just somebody who can score but somebody who will scare opponents with relentless running, with strength and speed to bully their way through if skill doesn't work. Grind the defenders down until they make a mistake.

That has to be fat Ronaldo, at his peak the most unstoppable player I have ever seen.
The description could match drogba too. I won t want any one other than him if situation is desperate and he will buy goal. Pure big game player.

I am Luis Ronaldo fan myself.

yipthatman

Peak Rooney would get you a goal in the last 10 mins against anyone, no problem or Shearer.

ThatDutchPerson

Supports
FC Groningen
If I had to pick one:

-Inzaghi.

The guy just had this magic about him that seemed to bend the universe to his will and grant him at least 1-2 good chances in clutch time. I don’t care who you were as an opposing team or supporter, if Inzaghi came on you’d be nervous for the last ten minutes. You *knew* he’d do something.

If allowed to pick a top three, I’d probably add:

- Giroud. Can’t stand the guy but he is smart money.

- Solskjaer, for obvious reasons.

Matt007a

I seem to recall Drogba scoring every time Chelsea got to a final or played a big game. If you want a clutch player to come on at the end, he’d be up there for me. Similarly Ole would always come on and score when needed. Scored the biggest goal in the clubs history.

Obviously if you’ve got a Messi, CR7 or an R9 on the bench you’d have one of them because they’re the best 3 attackers of the last 30 years.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
Giroud. He is proven at coming off the bench and changing games.

Ronaldo could struggle he's never really been in that position. He might need time to get upto match speed.