The Modern / Current Players Draft

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
OK, here is the next edition of the ever popular fantasy draft games.

The Modern Current Players Draft:

Theme: 16 managers fight for title in a snake draft.

Player Pool:
P1 - All players born on or after 01-Jan-1980 are available for picking with the exception of Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi (who are blocked for this draft) .

General Draft Rules:
G1 - All matches will be for 24 hrs
G2 - All draft picks will be on 8 hr intervals. More time can be granted on Boss's sole discretion (in case of quick picks).
G3 - No Assistant Managers. It wastes more time. But non-playing members can act as a 'scout' recommending players. Manager have the only say in teams. Scouts cannot vote for manager's games.
G4 - Playing managers vote count twice. Please honour the code and avoid tactical voting.
G5 - Once posted, the pick stands. No changing. Take care before you post.
G6 - Initial drafting will be for 12 players.

Team (Playing 11) Rules:
T1 - Teams must have at least 1 youth player (born on or after 01-Jan-1990).
T2 - Maximum of 2 players from same country (by birth).

Reinforcement Rules:
R1 - Team limit is fixed at 12 players.
R2 - Maximum of 2 reinforcements per round.
R3 - Reinforcement will be on pick one, drop one basis. You may choose to 'pass' on reinforcement round. Dropped players will be available for picking by managers down the order.

Playing Managers
  1. NM
  2. VivaJ
  3. Physiocrat
  4. Stobz
  5. Raees
  6. MJJ
  7. Skizzo
  8. Snow
  9. Pat_Mustard
  10. BorisDeLeFora
  11. Crappycraperson
  12. The Red Viper
  13. No Pace
  14. Isotope
  15. Barney
  16. Theon

Clarifications:
C1 - Voting is based on career peak, not current form.
C2 - Reinforcement pool will be all eliminated teams. Not round specific.
C3 - Rule T2 applies to birth country, not NT played for. (Eg. Evra is under Senegal, Pepe under Brazil, Bale under Wales etc).

Mod Announcement:

Injury Rules:
Due to lukewarm response the injury rules have been scrapped.
General Draft Rules:
G6 has been amended to 12 players (from original of 13 players)​

Reinforcement Rules:
R1 has been amended to 12 players (from original of 13 players)​

OP will be updated.
Mod Announcement:

You play whom you pick. There'll be no exchanges, trades, swaps etc considered. Just to be clear, there can be no agreements between managers arranging for mutually acceptable picks.

Please respect the spirit of the game.

Last edited:

Skizzo

So my understanding is that the "scout" is basically someone to bounce ideas off, without them being able to actually post the picks, or pick the teams etc.

If that's the case...if anyone would like to be my scout to bounce some ideas off..shoot me a PM :)

please have high attributes for judging CA and PA

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
So my understanding is that the "scout" is basically someone to bounce ideas off, without them being able to actually post the picks, or pick the teams etc.

If that's the case...if anyone would like to be my scout to bounce some ideas off..shoot me a PM :)

please have high attributes for judging CA and PA
:lol:

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Don't have an Excel sheet ready or anything. Guess it will be football and this tomorrow sprinkled in around a couple hours work.

To be certain. Where are those around be situated. I want to be sure how aware I need to be with picks. I'm in Iceland which is GMT +0 hours. Same time as the UK during the winter. That 8 hour window takes into account the Oceania, East Asia and Americas right?

Also to be sure, this is the format where managers vote a certain name out of each round or what? I haven't taken part in any of those drafts yet.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Don't have an Excel sheet ready or anything. Guess it will be football and this tomorrow sprinkled in around a couple hours work.

To be certain. Where are those around be situated. I want to be sure how aware I need to be with picks. I'm in Iceland which is GMT +0 hours. Same time as the UK during the winter. That 8 hour window takes into account the Oceania, East Asia and Americas right?

Also to be sure, this is the format where managers vote a certain name out of each round or what? I haven't taken part in any of those drafts yet.
Think we have the nearly the whole spectrum of time zones. Pakistan to Israel to UK to US.

There si no voting. This will be a normal snake draft. If Injury rules stays on, I'll randomize the teams and one player gets 'injured' and unable to participate in that round. Rest is as usual.

Snow

Think we have the nearly the whole spectrum of time zones. Pakistan to Israel to UK to US.

There si no voting. This will be a normal snake draft. If Injury rules stays on, I'll randomize the teams and one player gets 'injured' and unable to participate in that round. Rest is as usual.
So it's like I didn't miss anything and all the fantasy drafts between now and last time I participated were fillers. Got it.

Barney

"We're going to smash them (Crystal Palace)"
Supports
Liverpool

Snow

Brilliant, thanks!
If you haven't followed the old drafts, here's a friendly tip. There will be an unavoidable bias that differs between each people. Someone will get pissed off about it (I have once in the past but other instances are a lot more know/remembered) so a "team you support dearly" themed team, no matter how fun it will be for you to construct, will probably not be highly rated.

@Edgar Allan Pillow : I do like the first team rules. To be sure, if I only pick one youth player and he is randomly injured, does that mean I'm fecked? Shouldn't there be a minimum of two youths?

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Sure, I'm in.
We already know your world-class striker pick :lol:

On a more serious note it's probably even more important to have some non-United supporters managing teams in this draft, the discussions will be more biased than usual.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I do like the first team rules. To be sure, if I only pick one youth player and he is randomly injured, does that mean I'm fecked? Shouldn't there be a minimum of two youths?
You always have pick(s) after the injury is announced.

Snow

You always have pick(s) after the injury is announced.
Read it again. Even says so. Random injury occurs before the draft is half way through. My bad.

Another question then. Will there be a pause after Theon's 5th pick so that no one will make their 6th pick before the injury is declared?

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Mod Announcement:

Injury Rules:
General Draft Rules:

Reinforcement Rules:

OP will be updated.

Last edited:

NM

FFS 16th? Don't even have Theon to bounce ideas off. He can probably read my mind now!

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Mod Announcement:

Injury Rules:
General Draft Rules:

Reinforcement Rules:

OP will be updated.
Thank god, hated injury rules.