The monumental effort of rebuilding

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Seriously, Anyone thought about it? We need a whole new midfield and couple of attacking midfielders ,a GK and a Left back.

That's at least 6 signings with very less money available .
With all the top 8 teams catching up, do we really have any hope in getting this right ?

Any prospective buyers?

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Seriously, Anyone thought about it? We need a whole new midfield and couple of attacking midfielders ,a GK and a Left back.

With all the top 8 teams catching up, do we really have any hope in getting this right ?

Any prospective buyers?
What I was thinking as deadline day grew closer

lsd

The Oracle
We have been rebuilding for the past six years . At the end of the day we dont have a divine right to win anything and chances are we will never get back to where we are .

No amount of money is going to change that

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
We have been rebuilding for the past six years . At the end of the day we dont have a divine right to win anything and chances are we will never get back to where we are .

Are you really happy to accept that?

That's only because we are being run into the ground by businessmen who have zero interest in football.

If they were forced out, or forced to take the football team more seriously, then maybe we would have a chance again.

Pogba & De Gea off next summer, after everything we've seen, do you really expect them to be replaced properly?... As it stands, this 'rebuild' is just an illusion to begin with.

The question is, is everyone happy to just accept that? That we are now a walking advertisement, for them to milk the lemmings for everything they're worth?

Sir Scott McToMinay

That’s a bit too much, we’re filthy rich, with the right people making the right decisions, we should be comfortably up there as one of the best team in Europe.
Problem is we need a clear out of the failing suits and there’s no one who can do that.

Dennis_Law

Supports
Aberdeen
What I'm going to say now is a bit controversial, but hear me out. On here I see many discussions about the players, the manager, the owners etc... one thing I rarely read is stuff about the ground...

It is archaic. Should United not do a Tottenham? This is probably the right time: spend a billion on a state of the art modern stadium befitting one of the most famous football teams in the world.

P.S. I would suggest not naming any parts of the new stadium after previous players or managers: have a fresh start, a reboot if you will.

ICHM

Do you really trust Woodward with £600M to spend? We'd end up with Neymar as he sells shirts.

Falcow

All it takes is two or three great signings I.e. if we had van dyke, aguero and de bruyne or say fernandinho we would have a good chance of winning the league this year. And likewise if you take Salah, van dyke and alison out of pool and replace them with jones, lingard and mignolet they will struggle for top 4. Also with city, take out aguero, sterling and fernandinho and city would not have won the league last season or maybe even the season before(not unreasonable to assume that they would have finished on only 80 points that season). Those type of players lift all those around them.

On that subject it is going to be interesting to see how city replace aguero in the next couple of years, he is probably their greatest ever player and they will need a huge slice of luck to replace him successfully for what they usually spend on players I.e. approx 65m.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
That’s a bit too much, we’re filthy rich, with the right people making the right decisions, we should be comfortably up there as one of the best team in Europe.
Problem is we need a clear out of the failing suits and there’s no one who can do that.
Filthy rich is bit of an overstatement though. No club in epl is poor and the difference in the earnings are coming down as well.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Filthy rich in what is now an exceptionally inflated market unfortunately.

We've picked the wrong few years to realise our squad is criminally weak.

red thru&thru

The rebuild doesn't just go for the team, the build is more to do with the whole club. Rebuild is bigger than what most understand it to be.

Rob Bowman

Any prospective buyers?
This was my problem with our summer window. The transfer business is an endless process... it absolutely becomes overwhelming if you fall behind.

We were so close. We all knew we needed one or two more signings this summer before Lukaku and Sanchez left. Now we are short and some players want off... leaving us with even more holes than when we started.

But Woodward has this all covered. What could go wrong... ?

sparx99

This was my problem with our summer window. The transfer business is an endless process... it absolutely becomes overwhelming if you fall behind.

We were so close. We all knew we needed one or two more signings this summer before Lukaku and Sanchez left. Now we are short and some players want off... leaving us with even more holes than when we started.

But Woodward has this all covered. What could go wrong... ?
This is the the problem. By only getting three in this past summer we probably need to sign 8 now next year.

Let’s say De Gea, Pogba and Matic goes on a free we will need at least

1x GK
1x LB
3x CM
1x RW
1x CAM
1x ST

That’s almost a team!

Now maybe the club is hoping to fill 2-3 positions with youth players but even then we would likely need 5.

Even so our squad is likely to look something like next summer

Romero
Henderson
Pereira

Wan-Bissaka
Dalot
Young

Lindelof
Maguire
Bailly (could leave)
Tuanzebe
Jones (could leave)
Fosu-Mensah (probably gone)

Shaw
Williams

Garner
McTominay
Fred (could leave)
Pogba (probably gone)
Pereira

James
Lingard

Mata
Gomes

Rashford
Chong

Martial
Greenwood

That midfield area is so desperate!

RooneyLegend

Our rebuild sadly hasnt started as we dont have the right manager in place. The rebuild only really starts then. Then you see which players fit, which ones dont and take it from there. Right now we aren't building much.

Gandalf

A few simple rules for the rebuild

1. Clear out the deadwood
  2. Only sign players who are 100% committed and have room to improve
  3. Blood your youth prospects to see if they can grow to fill any of the gaps in your squad
  4. Don't sign players just to fill a gap, be prepared to wait through a few windows to get the right players
So far we are doing all 4 of these so I am happy. Nonsense to say we don't have the right manager in place as we don't yet have anything close to a finished squad. Ole could very easily be the right man when all is said and done but anybody claiming that he is or isn't is just guessing right now.

Sir Scott McToMinay

Filthy rich is bit of an overstatement though. No club in epl is poor and the difference in the earnings are coming down as well.
Filthy rich in what is now an exceptionally inflated market unfortunately.

We've picked the wrong few years to realise our squad is criminally weak.
We’re literally richer than 99.9% of football clubs on the planet.

C'est Moi Cantona

This again, haven't we been here before?

Just an idea, but lets get a top notch DOF in before spend another penny, rather than let the same guy who has overseen six years of abject failure just continue on regardless, would seem like a good place to start.

NoLogo

That would be tragic and testament to the total incompetence of those in charge of the club.

lsd

The Oracle
That would be tragic and testament to the total incompetence of those in charge of the club.

No it would be life . Why do you think we have a right to win anything ? If it happens it happens but we dont deserve any more than any other team

Lee565

I dont know why we are making such hard work of it, most of the players that need(ed) moving on and replacing aren't/weren't exactly nailed on highly valued 1st team players, where as Atletico Madrid, a club who's current standards is to challenge for the la Liga title and at least reach the quarters of the champions league lost practically the spine of their team but managed to do a good great job of rebuilding their squad in just one summer without having to spend stupid on players with the exception of felix who is looking like good long term buy even at 120 million and will probably easily recoup the money if another team come snooping around.

Juventus also made quite a lot of changes and their expectations is to win their league title and win the champions league.

What was our expectations this season, bloody top 6 and we just had to find upgrades on the likes of matic, lingard, mata, young, Jones, smalling, lukaku, fellaini and herrera, that shouldnt have been too difficult to have done this summer but the club is not clever with how they spend the money, a lot of Atletico's signings this summer would have been laughed off by our fans and probably wouldnt have even been on our club's radar, we spunked 120 million on a defensive fullback and a good but not world class defender, Atletico brought a new right back, 2 central defenders, left back, defensive midfielder and a box-to box midfielder all for 110 million. I also dont know why we didn't buy another attacker before selling lukaku, you didn't see inter having to worry about moving on Icardi before signing lukaku.

Vanya

We need to be smart in the transfer market and we need to emulate teams like Juve. Eriksen, Raphael Gurreiro, Hudson-Odoi, Ryan Fraser are available on a free in 2020. Promising young players like Upmecano and Tonali will be in the last year of their contracts too. Apart from making big deals we need also need to sign such players and at the same time get rid of non performing assets like Rojo Bailly and older players like Matic and Mata

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
This malarky about needing 4-5 windows is like draining a leaking boat with a small bucket while out on the water. You can't attract better players whilst not showing serious progress, let alone if you regress. It's not having no patience, it's about convincing good players there's a valid sporting reason to join the club.

ExecutionerWasp001

We don't need much to be competing again. People think we are way off due to the league being won with 100 pts & lost in the high 90's. The league in general is of a poor standard at the moment though. You then have a City team who have spent heavily for a decade & are now peaking. Liverpool have finally hired a decent manager & are improving. City & Liverpool will both regress when Pep & Klopp leave though. The rest of the league should also improve making it much more contested.

royboy16

The moon gave me flowers for funerals to come.

Any prospective buyers?
A good start would be having a good captain and leader.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
A few simple rules for the rebuild

1. Clear out the deadwood
  2. Only sign players who are 100% committed and have room to improve
  3. Blood your youth prospects to see if they can grow to fill any of the gaps in your squad
  4. Don't sign players just to fill a gap, be prepared to wait through a few windows to get the right players
So far we are doing all 4 of these so I am happy. Nonsense to say we don't have the right manager in place as we don't yet have anything close to a finished squad. Ole could very easily be the right man when all is said and done but anybody claiming that he is or isn't is just guessing right now.
Highly educated guess based on his CV

NoLogo

No it would be life . Why do you think we have a right to win anything ? If it happens it happens but we dont deserve any more than any other team
What is it with people on this forum talking about "the right to win anything". Where does this come from? No one is saying "OMG why aren't we winning anything, we are Man United, it's our god given right to win the PL and triumph in the CL, how dare these other teams interfere with that?" Seriously what kind of narrative is this? No one on this board is saying that.

What most of us are saying though is that we are doing a shitty job at trying to get back to the top and that Woodward and his team doesn't seem up to the task, so we want to see a change in the leadership of this club. I don't think that's an unreasonable demand to make unless you have an attitude of "Things are going shitty for me, but well what can I do, that's life, no use in even trying to change anything. Sigh."

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
If we stick to the 3-4 signings per year then it won't be a rebuild but more of a managed decline. Our CM, RW and forward line is not existent. Meanwhile, Pogba, Matic, DDG and Young would probably not be here next season.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
You are all just starting to think this while Ole has been working on this for the last 9 months. Its not by coincidence our squad is down to bare bones yet Redcafe has blown their top over a lack of signings. It's beyond clear that the club has taken massive steps to laying a base foundation to build upon. That's not a world class team yet and the fans need to accept that.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
We are so far off competing comfortably. Not only do we need those mentioned in the op but we desperately need a RW and could do with competition for the left, plus another good CB. The bench is weak as feck too.

Seems almost impossible at this stage.

TRUERED89

What I'm going to say now is a bit controversial, but hear me out. On here I see many discussions about the players, the manager, the owners etc... one thing I rarely read is stuff about the ground...

It is archaic. Should United not do a Tottenham? This is probably the right time: spend a billion on a state of the art modern stadium befitting one of the most famous football teams in the world.

P.S. I would suggest not naming any parts of the new stadium after previous players or managers: have a fresh start, a reboot if you will.
Old Trafford is historical, I don’t want to see us anywhere else. But a nice refurbishment wouldn’t go a miss!

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Realistically, to challenge City and Liverpool consistently, we need a new left back, new centre back, 3 new midfielders (one DM, one CM one AM) a new RW and a new CF (for depth)

That's 7 signings, all of first team eleven quality, all of whom to be hits. It's going to take a long time unfortunately. Hopefully Greenwood and Gomes can take 2 of those spots but that would be a bonus.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Realistically, to challenge City and Liverpool consistently, we need a new left back, new centre back, 3 new midfielders (one DM, one CM one AM) a new RW and a new CF (for depth)

That's 7 signings, all of first team eleven quality, all of whom to be hits. It's going to take a long time unfortunately. Hopefully Greenwood and Gomes can take 2 of those spots but that would be a bonus.
You forgot new manager and even then that manager needs to be of the highest quality

Ekeke

Any prospective buyers?
With Woodward and Ole? No I dont think so.

I can see more turnover of players but staying around the 6th mark

Will Singh

We’ve got nothing to build on, the 1 player who we could build around will probably leave next year and that’s Pogba.

We’ve been doing the same thing for the last six years and it hasn’t worked.

The rebuild should be to get rid of Ed and build our structure as we’ve still got Moyes scouts working for us and LVG scouts from what I read somewhere.

dabeast

We will never win the league again with the Glazers as owners. No amount of rebuilding, better play, better managing, will change this.

Ekeke

We’ve got nothing to build on, the 1 player who we could build around will probably leave next year and that’s Pogba.

We’ve been doing the same thing for the last six years and it hasn’t worked.

The rebuild should be to get rid of Ed and build our structure as we’ve still got Moyes scouts working for us and LVG scouts from what I read somewhere.
Regardless of them, with Mourinho we had the largest scouting network in europe. Not that it did us any good

United58

The problem is we don't seem to have a long term plan. Each manager has had completely different ideas about the squad (bar Moyes, who had no ideas at all). Ole seems to be implementing a mid/long term plan - it remains to be seen whether the next manager will build on that, or go his own way as we fall further and further into obscurity.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham

No you haven't, you have been appointing and firing managers with no real idea of where you want to be, it was exactly the same as us pre Martin Jol.