The morning after the night before for Alexandre Jankewitz

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I don’t really expect anyone to have the definitive answer but why are there so many more high profile examples of racism on footballers social media nowadays than there was in the past? I honestly can’t remember any club calling out this sort of shit before this season but it seems to be happening at least once a month now.

a) We’ve a much lower tolerance now. Abuse that has always happened is no longer being ignored.
b) It’s more frequent and more extreme than it used to be.

Because if it’s mainly a) then that’s great. Progress in action. Mainly b) would be too depressing for words. We’re regressing as a society.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I don’t really expect anyone to have the definitive answer but why are there so many more high profile examples of racism on footballers social media nowadays than there was in the past? I honestly can’t remember any club calling out this sort of shit before this season but it seems to be happening at least once a month now.

a) We’ve a much lower tolerance now. Abuse that has always happened is no longer being ignored.

Because if it’s mainly a) then that’s great. Progress in action. Mainly b) would be too depressing for words. We’re regressing as a society.
Probably a combination of the two.

Crimson King

I hate to get too political on a football forum, but there is the argument that the success of recent right-wing populist leaders has undone a lot of the progressive social norms we'd all tried to work towards, especially around equality and appropriate speech in public.

When you have Trump spouting out hate against everyone with a different opinion to him, and a UK PM with his 'letterbox' and 'watermelon smile' comments, reaching the highest political position in their respective countries.. neither of them facing any real consequences for it...then it's only going to embolden these sort of people you speak of.

We're all just 'snowflakes' for being disgusted by it, apparently.

Plus, social media is everywhere now and it's so easy to hide anonymously and troll people online.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I hate to get too political on a football forum, but there is the argument that the success of recent right-wing populist leaders has undone a lot of the progressive social norms we'd all tried to work towards, especially around equality and appropriate speech in public.

When you have Trump spouting out hate against everyone with a different opinion to him, and a UK PM with his 'letterbox' and 'watermelon smile' comments, reaching the highest political position in their respective countries.. neither of them facing any real consequences for it...then it's only going to embolden these sort of people you speak of.

We're all just 'snowflakes' for being disgusted by it, apparently.

Plus, social media is everywhere now and it's so easy to hide anonymously and troll people online.
You should check out the Current Events forum!

I think you’re right. That’s the depressing scenario. And it rings very true.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
- Plays 1 minute vs Villa in his PL debut in January
- Puts in a transfer request after that game
- Gets to start the next game at OT of all places, sent off after a minute
- Been rotting on the bench ever since

2 appearances, 2 minutes played, 1 transfer request, 1 red card