Sócrates

• Medical doctor
  • Leader of Democracia Cortinthians
  • Drank beer in between med school and footy practice
  • Captain of 82 Brazil
  • Master of the back heel pass

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
Phil Jones is quite unique, mostly for the wrong reasons.

Cloud7

I don’t like to speak on players that I’ve never watched, but for me it’s Messi. For a player to simultaneously be such an amazing goal scorer, as well as the most creative player in world football, I’ve never seen anything like that.

As if his dribbling and finishing weren’t enough, his vision and passing is unparalleled for me.

meninred

There are many. some are

Lampard - record holder for deflected goals
richard dunn..record holder for own goals
filipo inzagi - great scorer of sitters
Taibi..record holder for conceding many goals in few matches.

fps

A bit like another pretty unique one: Thomas Müller. Guy looks awkward, runs funny, and frankly doesn't even look like a footballer. For years he was one of the best in the world but you could hardly explain him other than putting it down to movement and finding/creating space. So much so that when he was rumoured as a target most cafites didn't want him because he didn't fit the job description.
Müller is a good choice. As you say, I struggle to explain why he was so good, and found him fascinating to watch, with no idea why.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Riquelme. The way he play football is quite unique, when everything play through him, its truly beautiful to watch. But otherwise, he is the laziest footballer I've ever seen.

Denis79

Higuita, very unique. Not because of his skills but he sure had flair.

UpWithRivers

Le Tissier. There has never been a player like him. He was like some fat lad up front hardly moving, then bam he would score a wonder goal. First attacking midfield to reach 100 prem league goals. All for a a very average team.
XavI said he could dribble past 8 players without speed. And he could. He was slow but he was a genius and could dribble with the best of them.

Last edited:

Schneckerl

Garrincha: Unique playstyle even for his time and a special character
John Charles: Played as a CB/Striker, won the Serie A and First Division scoring title. Pretty much the first British player who had major success both overseas and at home

SATA

It's Paul Pogba and he's ours. Not even sure why half of our fanbase want to drive him out of the club. It's utter ridiculous

gr3yham3

Funny no one mentioned Fellaini. Inspiration to trees everywhere who want to play football. (need to get that upper trunk/chest control right though)

r3idy

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
A few unique players for me

Batistuta. Ok on the face of it just a Centre Forward. For me arguably the best number 9 in the 90's. Unique in that he could finish left foot right foot with equal measure. What makes him unique is the way in which he hit every single goal with such venom and fury. 2 feet out, ten feet out, 30 feet out he tried to burst the ball with every shot.

Zidane: Poise and balance of a ballet dancer. Unique maybe the wrong word but he had such grace moving with the ball.

Messi: Prob been said many times but this guy plays the game at a completely different pace than anyone else I have ever seen. Pace as in how he sees the game in his head. It's like something out of the Matrix. I think experts refer to it as Flow, he is a classic Apex Predator and knows every strength and weakness of the opposition, he knows how to exploit it.

Celoti23-81

Ronaldinho, the only footballer that could play Futsal on a full size pitch at the highest level!

Red Stone

Jorge Campos without a shadow of a doubt. He earned 130 caps for Mexico in the 90's and early 00's playing between the sticks. Nothing out of the ordinary there, you say? Well, for starters he was only 168cm (5'6") tall. For a top level goalkeeper that's a huge anomaly on it's own, but that's not all that's unique about Campos. At his first club Pumas, he also filled in as a striker despite primarily being a goalkeeper, and over the course of his career managed to rack up 34 league goals for them. Just to add to the legend, he chose his own style of jerseys most of the time, and they're something else to say the least. A single image does not do him justice, so I'd advise anyone to do a little image search over on the ol' Google. There are some proper monstrosities there.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Arturo Vidal was effective as a #10, a box to box midfielder, a DM in a double pivot, an anchor and even as a CB. Was one of the best tacklers in the world while also being one of the best penalty takers.

Yaya Toure a player of his height should not have the pace, agility and dribbling ability he had.

Marouane Fellaini did not have the technical ability to be a real Target Man and often struggled in his natural midfield position so he was most effective in a weird in between role.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Jorge Campos without a shadow of a doubt. He earned 130 caps for Mexico in the 90's and early 00's playing between the sticks. Nothing out of the ordinary there, you say? Well, for starters he was only 168cm (5'6") tall. For a top level goalkeeper that's a huge anomaly on it's own, but that's not all that's unique about Campos. At his first club Pumas, he also filled in as a striker despite primarily being a goalkeeper, and over the course of his career managed to rack up 34 league goals for them. Just to add to the legend, he chose his own style of jerseys most of the time, and they're something else to say the least. A single image does not do him justice, so I'd advise anyone to do a little image search over on the ol' Google. There are some proper monstrosities there.
I didn't know he was that short. Good stuff Red Stone

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Arturo Vidal was effective as a #10, a box to box midfielder, a DM in a double pivot, an anchor and even as a CB. Was one of the best tacklers in the world while also being one of the best penalty takers.
He's really nothing special compared to the likes of Matthäus or Rijkaard, who did everything that he did on a higher level.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Messi!

Pogba can be classified as unique if he fulfills his potential. Technically briliiant, physically a beast, good goalscorer, fine passer and watching him can be a treat when he's on song

Fox outside the box

Always thought Rooney was unique. He could be up on the end of something in the penalty box and next bit he could suddenly be the last man making a passionate last ditch tackle in defence or vice versa. I reckon he could have played anywhere in his prime and put in a shift.

This is the perfect example even though not in a united shirt! Could you imagine a Messi, Ronaldo, Aguero and the likes doing the same?

I do love that clip. Not only for the ridiculous work rate and ball into the box but that it was in the 96th minute of a game they were drawing. It's like something from a cheesy, mighty duck style film, sort of thing that if it happened in a film, you would scoff at it being unrealistic.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Last season - season before!
Nope...never a guaranteed starter. 21 EPL starts last year and 20 the year before. There are 38 games in a season. If that makes him a "guaranteed starter" in your world then I don't know what to say. For me, that sounds more like a squad player and rightfully so...

Luke1995

Ozil is quite unique. Never seen anybody as hot and cold as him. Can dominate games and disappear from them at the same rate

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Dirk Kuyt.

Possessed none of the required skills to play professional football and yet played a CL and world cup final.