The Mourinho Thread: Should he stay or go? | Sacked

Is Mourinho’s time as United manager up?

• Yes

Votes: 2,296 77.1%
  • No

Votes: 293 9.8%
  • Not yet - needs more time to see if he can turn it around

Votes: 388 13.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

MouChou

Just like with players who try to be controversial and drama queens so that they get more attention and likely sponsors/$$$ ,. It seems to be now that managers like that tend to give their clubs the same 'benefits'. I think our club is making huge profit from all the drama Jose is causing here and that ultimately fans have fallen for the cheap pleasure of all this mess and the escape it gives when you can moan non-stop about it.

That's why I think Jose wont be sacked until the later stages of the season.

Neal Johnson

How can you say Ed Woodward is the problem here ? SAF “chose” Moyes, remember ? “The Chosen One”. Everybody backed it, why wouldn’t you trust the judgment of SAF ?

Moyes was bulleted relatively quickly and LVG was appointed and not many people argued with it. We’ve spunked £650m since SAF left and ultimately he landed Mourinho, most people were shooting in their pants at this point and the big money signings continued.

The problem with our club is that for so long the expectation has been so high, expecting to win the league every year and trounce everyone. It’s not happening again, not for a while unless 1 of 2 things happen. 1. Back Mourinho and give him money and time to turn it around (most unlikely) or 2. Appoint a young coach with a long term plan (5 years) and invest in the squad with a no compromise recruitment strategy. Like Klopp at Liverpool, he waits until the players he wants can arrive and spends what it takes to get them, but over a longer period.

We have to accept that fighting for top 4 might just be us for the next few years, it’s happened to both Arsenal and Liverpool

Last edited:

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
Everton finished 8th last season and sacked their manager.
There’s a difference to finishing 8th and being 8th right now.

Anyway, I understand your point. In essence, a truly elite club would have sacked their manager by now if they were in the same position as us. I just don’t think it really applies to the likes of Everton and Watford at this stage in the season, that’s all.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
The situation is completely hopeless. This club has no direction, no leadership, and a completely toxic element.

I have given up. No elite club would still have Mourinho in charge, and no elite club would let Woodward manage football operations.

An absolute joke of a situation. Mourinho and Woodward are an embarrassment to the badge and the club's great history.

UnRational

The situation is completely hopeless. This club has no direction, no leadership, and a completely toxic element.

I have given up. No elite club would still have Mourinho in charge, and no elite club would let Woodward manage football operations.

An absolute joke of a situation. Mourinho and Woodward are an embarrassment to the badge and the club's great history.
Couldn't agree more.

redtony

100%

Followed United for a very long time, and been to hundreds of games. United feel like an irritating habit/addiction that i can't get out of and just don't enjoy. Its a chore to watch them!

The whole set-up is embarrassing and Mourinho and last 2 managers have killed all joy from the sport i love.

And the saddest part is, the board don't give a damn about entertainment or even results on the pitch. Depressing

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: SteveJ

Rolaholic

Now this is quality man management

Jose would have slated him on camera and held him out of the squad until February

Canagel

Jose would have slated him on camera and held him out of the squad until February
Already posted it in his thread. I wish Jose had already left in the summer and he was appointed our manager. Either him or Sarri. We never always get the right timing with new managers

Cloud7

The thing is, this isn’t even difficult to do. Managers say ridiculous things all the time to try and defend their team (Ashley Williams could have killed RVP etc), far more for saying something genuinely nice like this. It really isn’t difficult. Most managers at the top clubs do it without much difficulty.

There’s only one top manager around who seems to really struggle with this concept nowadays, and prefers to throw the players under the bus instead.

On the other hand I dont think many of our players would react to the way Sead does though.
Which is another in a long line of issues at the club.

Jose has always been complimentary over players who've put in a shift and ones who,after a bad game,clearly show disappointment.Look at his praise for Rashford,Rojo and Bailly only recently.
I believe Jose biggest issue is he clearly feels he doesn't see enough of players being affected by a poor showing.That's bad for him and its bad for us.

Last edited:

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
Just watched the documentary about Bobby Robson on Netflix in which Mourinho features a lot since he worked with him for many years and at different clubs. It's quite staggering how different they are as people and as managers, you'd think he would have learned something from such a warm and humble man, sadly not.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Just watched the documentary about Bobby Robson on Netflix in which Mourinho features a lot since he worked with him for many years and at different clubs. It's quite staggering how different they are as people and as managers, you'd think he would have learned something from such a warm and humble man, sadly not.
Mourinho also seem to have changed. He was never humble of course. But his personality worked for him big time once upon a time. Even people who played with him in the past have stated that he's changed a lot.

VJ1762

Saw this tweet. Perfectly captured Mourinho's inability to find his best XI and play them consistently. And he has been paid approximately 35 million euros to get us a couple of mickey mouse trophies and leave us in 8th place.

Suedesi

Mourinho is world class at self promotion. Gotta give it to the guy how he produces so much shit week in week out for three fecking years, and still finds someone other than himself to direct the blame to. fecking world class operator.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
100%

Followed United for a very long time, and been to hundreds of games. United feel like an irritating habit/addiction that i can't get out of and just don't enjoy. Its a chore to watch them!

The whole set-up is embarrassing and Mourinho and last 2 managers have killed all joy from the sport i love.

And the saddest part is, the board don't give a damn about entertainment or even results on the pitch. Depressing
Why should the board care when the fans don’t?

Greck

Neil Ashton has said that Our board have decided Pochetino is the only candidate to follow from Mourinho but will wait until the summer.
If true I'm content to let things drag out till the end of the season. Same as the DoF situation. That top 4 clause better go into buying out his contract

Last edited:

cheeky_backheel

Neil Ashton has said that Our board have decided Pochetino is the only candidate to follow from Mourinho but will wait until the summer.
Probably means we are stuck with Mourinho indefinitely cos I dont see why poch would leave a resume builder for a potential career killer.

The notion that he is the 'only' candidate is just silly and (if true) would be more evidence of the clueless nature of the board.

klsv

Ah nice, the only option we managed to identify. We'll end up with Dick Advocaat.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
We are closer in points to 14th than 5th.

Vadim

It is very worrying that its this "only candidate" talk again, swear it was the same when we hired Mourinho? Is our board that narrow minded?
Let’s not freak out over one journo’s tweet or whatever it was. They know it will create clicks.

We will have fallback options. Steve Bruce and Mark Hughes.

Cloud7

If this is true then I’m more than happy to sit quietly and cheer Mourinho on until the summer.

Cheer is a strong word, maybe quietly encourage.

Cloud7

Let’s not freak out over one journo’s tweet or whatever it was. They know it will create clicks.

We will have fallback options. Steve Bruce and Mark Hughes.
Bring both of them in with Keano and create the ultimate ex United managerial triumvirate.

Cloud7

Could you imagine the style of football?! :nervous:
It would be offset by us finally getting to see what would happen “If Roy Keane was in that dressing room” as our fans so love to talk about :lol:

Vadim

Who the journo writes for has barely any impact on how reliable they are. Surprised that still needs to be said in 2018.
He still needs to create hype for his paper and bring clicks in.

I’m not saying he’s lying - but it’s possible. English journos are the worst.

Ainu

Surprised that some would be willing to let Mourinho destroy our club further until the Summer if we'd get Pochettino in. I absolutely wouldn't. Even if we had someone lined-up for the Summer (which I doubt is true), I'd still want Mourinho out as soon as fecking possible and appoint pretty much anyone as interim really. The man is a complete, toxic train-wreck. I don't even want to imagine how much further damage he could do if he remains here until the summer. He's dragging the entire club down with him.

Minimalist

It would be nice to believe we've considered numerous candidates (at least three) and decided on Poch. However I worry this is literally just Woodward looking over his coffee at the other board members muttering, "so...we'll get that lad at Spurs next then? Yes? Apparently Madrid are after him so he must be suitable."

Last edited:

dove

Doesn't matter who we get in the summer, Pochettino, Zidane or Jesus himself. Question is, why are we the only club in the world not even trying to save the season by sacking the manager? Why do we just give up? Surely it cannot be just about the money as we literally wrote off Schweinsteiger's salary freezing him in the reserves. Is it because Ed doesn't want to admit his yet another failure? Is it because every time Jose is on the brink to be sacked and then we manage to get a "great" result (according to our clueless board) like against Chelsea, Arsenal and they give him more time?

Not only we have pretty much 0% chance of getting Poch unless we throw some crazy money at him, we can't even be arsed to TRY and save our season. Just give it to McKenna til the end of the season, at least the fans will be UNITED for once, fully supporting the team and who knows what can happen. Current situation is just shambles.

Status
Not open for further replies.