The murder of Sarah Everard | Couzens sentenced to a whole-life order

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Those in London or with friends there will have probably seen the posts being shared about her recently, and it's been hitting the news the last few days. There's been a rather large and disturbing development today, with a Met Police officer being arrested. Don't think there's any further news but it can't be looking good now.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56342465

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Yeah I originally thought this was one of those missing person cases where the person has deliberately not wanted to be found for various reasons but it seems she was abducted. Doesn't seem to happen as often these days but it doesn't look good. I hope she's ok. Messed up that it was possibly a police officer.

RonaldoVII

Same feeling as with the student in Sheffield who disappeared returning home from a night out and her killer was jailed last month. Hopefully not the same scenario here but doesn't look good given she's not been seen at all for over a week and an arrest has been made.

Did they ever find the RAF officer who went missing a few years ago? Harder and harder for somebody to just disappear nowadays.

Brophs

The One and Only
Did they ever find the RAF officer who went missing a few years ago? Harder and harder for somebody to just disappear nowadays.
Wasn’t it basically accepted that he’d ended up in a bin lorry and wasn’t likely to be found as he would have been buried in landfill?

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Highly unlikely that she's alive, hope I'm wrong. I wonder what their motive was.
I'm so inured to the idea of men randomly attacking women that I didn't even consider there would need to be a motive beyond him being a man who wanted to randomly attack a woman.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Yeah it’s horrible that they have to worry about things like that and the amount of victim blaming I’ve seen is disgusting. She wore a bright jacket, called her boyfriend on the phone and was walking through a well lit area. Even without that women should be allowed to walk anywhere they want at night without fear of something happening to them.

I’ve been in situations where I’ve been walking behind a girl at night or in a quiet area. It makes me feel uncomfortable because I imagine they’re on high alert. I’ll often slow down to give room or cross the road. If I do pass I give a wide berth.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
I've been following the news on this woman's disappearance for the last week - my first thought was "why would she walk home alone in the dark?" It's something women have to consider every day of their lives and always has been.

The police officer has also been charged with indecent exposure involving another woman. He's been named by neighbours now, if you want to know who he is the tabloids are showing pics of him.

Last edited:

Sara125

He’ll get away with a slap on the wrist just like every other officer charged with anything ever.

Balljy

Yeah it’s horrible that they have to worry about things like that and the amount of victim blaming I’ve seen is disgusting. She wore a bright jacket, called her boyfriend on the phone and was walking through a well lit area. Even without that women should be allowed to walk anywhere they want at night without fear of something happening to them.

I’ve been in situations where I’ve been walking behind a girl at night or in a quiet area. It makes me feel uncomfortable because I imagine they’re on high alert. I’ll often slow down to give room or cross the road. If I do pass I give a wide berth.
I had a friend phone me once who was pretty close to my house saying she was being followed by somebody who was keeping a constant 2 metres behind her. She had even looped back on herself making sure she was staying in well lit areas. I went out in my car to pick her up and as soon as I stopped he ran for it and jumped over a garden wall.

She was shaken for weeks, who knows what he was attempting to do.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
He’ll get away with a slap on the wrist just like every other officer charged with anything ever.
This is extremely different to the police ‘brutality’ cases. He was off-duty and straight up abducted and murdered someone.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I had a friend phone me once who was pretty close to my house saying she was being followed by somebody who was keeping a constant 2 metres behind her. She had even looped back on herself making sure she was staying in well lit areas. I went out in my car to pick her up and as soon as I stopped he ran for it and jumped over a garden wall.

Yeah I always worry about it with my gf. Often I will walk to meet her before she leaves where she is. Sometimes it means I have to change out of my comfies and walk a 40-50 min round trip in the cold but I will do it every single time just to make sure. The WhatsApp location share is quite good as well and you can set it to share for the next 15 mins, hour or 24 hours.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.

I've probably told this story before but one night, while driving home in the rain after 2am, a woman hailed me at a stop sign and just got into my car. I assume she thought I was someone else because once she closed the door her demeanour went from boisterous to quietly terrified. Having done something similar myself when I was younger, I played it cool and asked her the way. She gave me directions to her nearby house and I drove there, dropped her off and bid her good night. :lol:

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Yeah I always worry about it with my gf. Often I will walk to meet her before she leaves where she is. Sometimes it means I have to change out of my comfies and walk 25 mins in the cold but I will do it every single time just to make sure. The WhatsApp location share is quite good as well and you can set it to share for the next 15 mins, hour or 24 hours.
Sounds great for abusive/controlling boyfriends too :nervous:

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
my first thought was "why would she walk home alone in the dark?" It's something women have to consider every day of their lives and always has been.
What the alternative? It's not like women are particularly safe getting taxis on their own either and it's pretty extreme to never go out after dark without a chaperone.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Sounds great for abusive/controlling boyfriends too :nervous:
Yeah possibly could be abused but it’s pretty helpful especially when we’re meeting up. We used it a lot when we first moved to Bristol and also when she went for a walk after sunset the other day. Can see the exact way we’re both walking.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
He's a copper, not Prince Andrew. I'm sure he'll get a punishment that fits the crime, if guilty.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
What the alternative? It's not like women are particularly safe getting taxis on their own either and it's pretty extreme to never go out after dark without a chaperone.
I've never done it, DOTA. All my life I've never made a long walk on my own at night. I'd go for a taxi, I think there should be more of these women-only companies with women drivers.

hubbuh

Human remains found.

Sounds like the wife might be involved, too? They have kids! Looks like a nasty business.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Horrible story. RIP.

Can’t imagine the stress women go through walking alone late at night. Whenever I walk back from a night out I hate walking behind a woman on her own cause it’s just awkward & I feel like she’s gonna think I’m following her.

stepic

Horrible news.

You wonder how they were able to find the suspect so quickly, did he turn himself in?

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
What a tragedy, may she rest in peace. Her poor family and her boyfriend, you can't imagine the desperation.
It’s just awful to think of her final moments. Must have been terrifying and as you say now her family begins the lifelong process of dealing with the grief.

One of those news stories that has genuinely made me emotional.