The murder of Sarah Everard | Couzens sentenced to a whole-life order

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
To be fair, I've seen the same amount of coverage in my social media sphere for both. The Sarah Everard one totally exploded everywhere when it became known that a serving police officer did it.
Exactly. That sort of thing is massive news. What are the figures on people disappearing every year?
Just not true and I fear will be the narrative when people look back on her case.

She was all over the news before the officer was discovered.

langster

Captain Stink mouth, so soppy few pints very wow!
Scout
Sadly, when these end badly they invariably turn out to be suicides. Which are less newsworthy than a kidnap/murder as the public crave scare stories about bogey men. A mental health crisis just doesn’t tick the same boxes.

You're spot on. Sadly I think the Police are just waiting for a body to turn up. The fact his clothes and phone were found in a spot where they spread their mothers ashes says to me it's more likely a suicide. I'm not a detective though.

I was just highlighting how many disappearances there are each week though. And although many may be suicides, there might not be the evidence at first, so they might not be treated as such by the police and media.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Sorry, not entirely following you here.

Are you saying a journo will know if a missing person will be found alive or not and report accordingly?
No one can ever be certain off course.

but some stories, for whatever reason make the cut. I think that some of them already have an edge about them, making a journo investigate. Otherwise why wouldn’t they all make the news or on the flip side none of them?

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Leaving A Breakfast On All Of Your Doorsteps
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
Just not true and I fear will be the narrative when people look back on her case.

She was all over the news before the officer was discovered.
I mean, are you saying that what I'm seeing on my personal feeds is not true? That's all I'm saying here, no judgement or proclamation either way. This is how I'm perceiving it. I saw huge media stories after the police rumours began, but social media shares well before that. Same folks I'm seeing sharing the latest story too.

hubbuh

I mean, are you saying that what I'm seeing on my personal feeds is not true? That's all I'm saying here, no judgement or proclamation either way. This is how I'm perceiving it. I saw huge media stories after the police rumours began, but social media shares well before that. Same folks I'm seeing sharing the latest story too.
Not to discount your personal experience on Facebook but I'd say the vast majority of people had way more exposure to the Sarah Everard story than this one, even when it was in its infancy.

Prophet_of_Doom

Not to discount your personal experience on Facebook but I'd say the vast majority of people had way more exposure to the Sarah Everard story than this one, even when it was in its infancy.
You're right that there's been far less media coverage of the Richard Okorogheye case. A few days after his disappearance, Richard's story was just about spreading across London media. In the same time frame Sarah's disappearance was a major story in every paper around the country (and also small regional papers), from the Sun to the Independent, on all the main news channels, Sky, BBC, ITV etc. And clearly that will have a knock on effect on social media (no one is going to talk about it if they don't know about it). The big question is why the disparity in reporting?

hubbuh

You're right that there's been far less media coverage of the Richard Okorogheye case. A few days after his disappearance, Richard's story was just about spreading across London media. In the same time frame Sarah's disappearance was a major story in every paper around the country (and also small regional papers), from the Sun to the Independent, on all the main news channels, Sky, BBC, ITV etc. And clearly that will have a knock on effect on social media (no one is going to talk about it if they don't know about it). The big question is why the disparity in reporting?
I'm not really clued up but like others have mentioned it seems to be the case that when a man goes missing it tends to be suicide/mental health related which doesn't get as much traction as a women going missing potentially as a result of kidnapping. I guess with women that potential is always there in the event of them going missing (before it was public knowledge that Sarah was kidnapped) whereas for men it's way less likely. Maybe the fact she's young, middle class and white had some influence in getting her story circulating in the press.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
No one can ever be certain off course.

but some stories, for whatever reason make the cut. I think that some of them already have an edge about them, making a journo investigate. Otherwise why wouldn’t they all make the news or on the flip side none of them?
I'm quite cynical about what does / doesn't make it in the media & press. I think we're long gone from objective reporting and it's mainly sensationalist headlines, and click bait stories.

Anyway, a story of a missing white woman is going to make more headlines than a missing black male. I do think 'missing white woman syndrome' is a thing - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missing_white_woman_syndrome

Jericholyte2

As a thought experiment...

All law-abiding men indoors after dark.

All non law-abiding men continue doing whatever they like. Now with even less of a deterrent.

Genius.
So let’s never ever even think about changes that could improve society...

Genius!

hobbers

So let’s never ever even think about changes that could improve society...

Genius!
Interesting take.

So lets come up with as many plainly stupid ideas as possible that would only make matters worse and then stick our thumbs up our arses with one hand and pat ourselves on the back with the other...

Jericholyte2

Interesting take.

So lets come up with as many plainly stupid ideas as possible that would only make matters worse and then stick our thumbs up our arses with one hand and pat ourselves on the back with the other...
But it’s the entire point of a thought experiment. Take something that, whilst not literal, exists in the world, such as an imposed curfew for women (my wife is an example, she won’t even take our dog for a walk around our estate without me as it starts getting dark), turn it on it’s head to make those in a position of privilege think and have some empathy for their plight.

TheReligion

Abusive
BBC News - Sarah Everard vigil: Critics attacked policing 'without knowing facts' - Met chief
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56590789

After the findings of the HMIC review of the action the Met took at the vigil should those who openly spoke out against Cressida Dick now apologise for their comments and forceful attempts to get her to resign?

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
"And, secondly, affect the officers' confidence about volunteering for the same duty in the next instance, if they are actually going to be criticised even when they've done a really good job."

They didn't do a good job, there are multiple videos on youtube demonstrating what utter fecking morons they were. But alas, seems like the Police can get away with anything these days. Sorry TR, i'm sure there are plenty of policemen and branches across the country that do a great job on a daily basis. But the MET are utter thunder cnuts.

TheReligion

Abusive
"And, secondly, affect the officers' confidence about volunteering for the same duty in the next instance, if they are actually going to be criticised even when they've done a really good job."

They didn't do a good job, there are multiple videos on youtube demonstrating what utter fecking morons they were. But alas, seems like the Police can get away with anything these days. Sorry TR, i'm sure there are plenty of policemen and branches across the country that do a great job on a daily basis. But the MET are utter thunder cnuts.
I'm only going off the report which did highlight areas for improvement but stated they didn't act unlawfully in the use of force they used to disperse what was at that point an illegal gathering.

I appreciate the concerns about the Met though given the various scandals over the years.

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
I'm only going off the report which did highlight areas for improvement but stated they didn't act unlawfully in the use of force they used to disperse what was at that point an illegal gathering.

I appreciate the concerns about the Met though given the various scandals over the years.
Just because they didn't act unlawfully it doesn't mean they did a good job.

Something being legal doesn't make it morally right.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Such a waste of a bright life. Have they any lead on what happened? It sounded like he might have been groomed on PSN?

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
Nothing yet, I assume more will come out in the coming days. Haven’t heard the PSN rumours.
I might be wrong, I think his mum said he was playing on his PlayStation a lot and she heard him talking to someone new on there quite a bit.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
I’ve been assuming it was suicide?
Just did a quick google and there does seem to be a bit about him possibly talking to someone on his PlayStation but it doesn’t sound like it’s been identified as an official line of enquiry. Seems maybe more like his mother has raised it as a possible explanation.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
I bet his mum is really glad there's no structural racism in Britain's institutions.

Just did a quick google and there does seem to be a bit about him possibly talking to someone on his PlayStation but it doesn’t sound like it’s been identified as an official line of enquiry. Seems maybe more like his mother has raised it as a possible explanation.
Yeah, friends of his on Twitter said he was just playing COD and talking to teammates - and his Mum didn't really understand the whole thing and assumed the worst.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
I'd say it's more about people being nosey looking at things they shouldn't
This is a murder investigation conducted by the police on a police officer. 30 other police staff trying to access these case files, perhaps on behalf of the suspect (although unlikely) is 100% worthy of a bump.

TheReligion

Abusive
This is a murder investigation conducted by the police on a police officer. 30 other police staff trying to access these case files, perhaps on behalf of the suspect (although unlikely) is 100% worthy of a bump.
Nah. Another thread maybe but as I say it's people being nosey wanting to look at things they shouldn't.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
Nah. Another thread maybe but as I say it's people being nosey wanting to look at things they shouldn't.
With that attitude you're on your way to becoming a detective in no time.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
What else are they looking at that they shouldn’t be?

Also how easy is it to access case files as a Police Officer? I’d have thought there’d have been more safeguards in place to prevent unwarranted access.