The murder of Sarah Everard | Couzens sentenced to a whole-life order

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
you wonder how a woman would now feel if they’re being arrested by a lone policeman.
They should have the right to refuse to go anywhere until a second officer arrives on the scene.

oates

No one is a match for his two masters degrees
Scout
Supports
Arsenal
To imagine this is his first serious crime is also very naive though, imo.

To graduate from indecent exposure to a crime as surreally heinous as this is very unlikely and I’m very surprised there hasn’t been more talk of what the possibilities might be of his previous. Given his age and position of authority it’s almost impossible to consider there aren’t other things out there.

It’s good that he has received whole life order, and hopefully that goes some small way to beginning to rebuild public trust, but there’s a lot of work to be done and many questions left unanswered regarding this case imo.
It's worth considering however for a policeman with perhaps some evidentiary and detection knowledge although not a detective you might think he has to be pretty inept in evading being discovered relatively quickly and if that is his standard then hopefully he was just starting out.

Mihai

Where does she imply each and every one of them are exactly like him? Her statement doesn't imply a specific amount.
The details of the crime are sickening. OAN it pissed me off when that ex met officer on Sky news said something along the lines of “Wayne Couzens is not a police officer. The other police officers don’t view him as one he doesn’t share the same values of them, he is a dangerous individual.” No, he is exactly like the rest of them- corrupt bastards who harass innocent people and abuse their powers to do so.
The way I read it, "the rest of them" means the rest of police officers. Is it not?

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
They should have the right to refuse to go anywhere until a second officer arrives on the scene.
Saw this comment on twitter and can't argue with that. Even with a second officer you can't feel 100% safe. After all, with Couzens he wiped his phone 30 minutes before being arrested which suggests he got the heads up from someone

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Horrific report. Links to the impact statements by her mother, father and sister which are troubling to read. I really hope one day they are able find peace - but I’m not sure how you ever process something like this happening to your child/sibling.

He’s expected to be sentenced tomorrow.

https://news.sky.com/story/sarah-ev...ts-before-he-abducted-her-court-told-12421032
Absolutely bone-chilling reading all that. There's so much to be done in terms of changing the power dynamics involved between society and the police, not to mention how we deal as a society with ruins of human beings such as Couzens. Certainly we should redouble efforts to ensure they're nowhere near positions of authority of any kind, not that that's very easy at the best of times let alone with the generational, institutional malfunctioning of organisations like the Met.

Life must be torture for that family now, the whole thing really is beyond appalling.

MadMike

He is now free to rot in his cell for the rest of his life. What a revolting, inhumane piece of shit.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
It's worth considering however for a policeman with perhaps some evidentiary and detection knowledge although not a detective you might think he has to be pretty inept in evading being discovered relatively quickly and if that is his standard then hopefully he was just starting out.
It’s very unlikely he was that inept to be given the positions he was though…

It’s worth remembering that many, if not all serial offenders tend to become more and more brazen as their crimes increase. It’s what often leads to them getting caught.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff

The Guardian have stuck to posting pictures of Sarah, with a little picture of Couzens at the bottom of the article but Mail Online, The Sun, The Mirror all have photos with both side by side.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
The killer of Sabina Nessa is just a courtroom away too I believe.

Sickening to read some of the stuff that has come out the last few days. I wouldn’t trust a sole officer again if I was a woman.

oates

Scout
Supports
Arsenal
It’s very unlikely he was that inept to be given the positions he was though…

It’s worth remembering that many, if not all serial offenders tend to become more and more brazen as their crimes increase. It’s what often leads to them getting caught.
I'm sure you know more about the topic than I do but he exposed himself at some stage, no doubt there were other offences such as voyeurism but at some point he escalated and this may have been it, but the Met would be the duffers we fully expect if they haven't taken a look at him for any unsolved cases wouldn't they?

edit. as for inept being a policeman I'm not convinced. He was caught, I felt quickly, body discovered just as quickly and personally I know a constable in the City of London Force who you wouldn't be able to tell the difference from if two planks showed up for work one day.

Wilt

I mean yeah, not like they've ever been found to be institutionally corrupt or racist by an independent panel before...

https://www.statewatch.org/news/202...-by-inquiry-into-murder-of-private-detective/

http://miris.eurac.edu/mugs2/do/blob.pdf?type=pdf&serial=1017225511163

Just the one bad apple huh?
Well obviously of course not just the one bad apple.

There’s evil and corruption in all walks of life where people would least expect it, Doctors, teachers, lawyers, military, Church…

What I find offensive is when @Sara125 liken the whole of the MET to that p.o.s Couzens.

It’s certain there are several police on this forum ….are they all institutionally corrupt, evil feckers as well?

Mihai

Saw this comment on twitter and can't argue with that. Even with a second officer you can't feel 100% safe. After all, with Couzens he wiped his phone 30 minutes before being arrested which suggests he got the heads up from someone
I took them 2 hours from attendance to when they actually visited his house. Either they were just parked outside or someone had given him the heads up. Which needs to be looked into in any case, imo.

Police attended his house at about 5.45pm on 9 March but did not approach the property. Shortly after 7pm, Couzens had re-set his mobile phone to factory settings.

Two detectives then visited the house at 7.45pm and Couzens was arrested on suspicion of Ms Everard's kidnap, the court hears.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
To imagine this is his first serious crime is also very naive though, imo.

To graduate from indecent exposure to a crime as surreally heinous as this is very unlikely and I’m very surprised there hasn’t more talk of what the possibilities might be of his previous.

It’s good that he has received whole life order, and hopefully that goes some small way to beginning to rebuild public trust, but there’s a lot of work to be done and many questions left unanswered regarding this case imo.
I would certainly imagine he has committed serious crimes before (I'm guessing the large majority of people who commit this sort of pre-meditated sexual assault & murder have committed sexual assault before, for example) but would we not have heard at this point if he was suspected of other murders? Typically that narrative emerges relatively quickly following incidents like this, if not from the police then from media linking him to other possible victims.

Plus my impression from what I've read in this case is that it wasn't exactly the best thought-through crime in the world, pre-meditated though it was. Aside from witnesses actually seeing him "arrest" Everard, he had booked the rental car using his own personal information and credit card details, the entire process of the abduction (including the transfer to his own car) was tracked throughout on multiple CCTV cameras that showed both car registration plates, both his and her mobile phones tracked their movements throughout as well, her body was dumped on land he actually owned and upon being arrested he launched into a far-fetched story about being blackmailed into kidnapping her for an Eastern European gang.

Not sure this was the hardest case to crack, or a template for getting away with other murders before now.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
There’s evil and corruption in all walks of life where people would least expect it, Doctors, teachers, lawyers, military, Church…
Those are the places I would most expect it.

Rhyme Animal

I'm sure you know more about the topic than I do but he exposed himself at some stage, no doubt there were other offences such as voyeurism but at some point he escalated and this may have been it, but the Met would be the duffers we fully expect if they haven't taken a look at him for any unsolved cases wouldn't they?
I hope you’re right. But it’s very unlikely he went from indecent exposure straight to the utterly brazen nature of that murder. Especially given his position.

It’s also very concerning that he knew to wipe his phone straight before he was arrested.

oates

Scout
Supports
Arsenal
I hope you’re right. But it’s very unlikely he went from indecent exposure straight to the utterly brazen nature of that murder. Especially given his position.

It’s also very concerning that he knew to wipe his phone straight before he was arrested.
Just out of interest what sort of sexualised behaviour/crimes do you think come between exposure and first instance of Rape and then Murder? I've obviously not given it much thought myself.

Rhyme Animal

Just out of interest what sort of sexualised behaviour/crimes do you think come between exposure and first instance of Rape and then Murder? I've obviously not given it much thought myself.
I think given his position and age and the severity and brazenness of that case, it’s quite possible he would have other victims of some sort.

But maybe, and hopefully you’re right and he was caught first serious offence.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff

The Guardian have stuck to posting pictures of Sarah, with a little picture of Couzens at the bottom of the article but Mail Online, The Sun, The Mirror all have photos with both side by side.
This is something I’ve always hated about murders like this. The last thing her family will want is to have her face synonymous with his. Every time you google her you’ll see his face too. It shouldn’t be that way.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Not sure if anyone has watched this. I was reading The Guardian this morning about the case and this video was on there. It's a short clip of when he was being interviewed at his home about the disappearance of Sarah. He concocts some wild story about him being threatened by some Romanian gang, who said he had to kidnap this woman for them or his family would be in danger, etc.

Absolute fecking psychopath. Here it is if anyone wants to see it. It's only a short vid.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days

What I find offensive is when @Sara125 liken the whole of the MET to that p.o.s Couzens.

It’s certain there are several police on this forum ….are they all institutionally corrupt, evil feckers as well?
I always find it bizarre when people spend their energy and outrage on arguments like this rather than what is clearly the real issue here.

It’s an emotive subject, people make broad sweeping statements. Get over it and stop crying about technicalities and specificities of other peoples complaints.

Let's not overreact now. You can't have a situation where a police officer has to wait to arrest somebody, and once they're in handcuffs any would be kidnapper would take them away whatever the rules are.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
Let's not overreact now. You can't have a situation where a police officer has to wait to arrest somebody, and once they're in handcuffs any would be kidnapper would take them away whatever the rules are.
Let’s not overreact to half the population now having zero trust in the motives of a lone policeman trying trying to detain them?

Are you suggesting we should dismiss those fears and carry on regardless without offering some sort of solution?

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history

@Pexbo beat me to it but I think your outrage might better be directed at the Met Police. This statement below is not in any way acceptable for starters

He was a police officer. He was able to do what he did precisely because he was a police officer. But worst of all it seems he built up to doing this because the institution around him turned a blind eye to crimes he'd committed previously.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I haven’t read it properly but wasn’t his nickname “the rapist” amongst his colleagues?

Let’s not overreact to half the population now having zero trust in the motives of a lone policeman trying trying to detain them?

Are you suggesting we should dismiss those fears and carry on regardless without offering some sort of solution?
Should we have told everybody they should second guess their GP because of Harold Shipman? Of course not.

It's on the government to restore trust in its police forces but that does not extend to working even more fear into the public by suggesting all police officers might be about to kidnap them. This was one man in 135,000. Some context is needed.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year

Last edited:

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
Should we have told everybody they should second guess their GP because of Harold Shipman? Of course not.

It's on the government to restore trust in its police forces but that does not extend to working even more fear into the public by suggesting all police officers might be about to kidnap them. This was one man in 135,000. Some context is needed.
As all the guests both left and right agreed on politics live this morning, the government and police force cannot regain public trust through PR this time, there needs to be structural and procedural change for women (and men) to feel safe and protected again. That trust has been broken.

So I’m interested in what structural or/and procedural changes you would suggest which can regain this confidence?

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Not sure if anyone has watched this. I was reading The Guardian this morning about the case and this video was on there. It's a short clip of when he was being interviewed at his home about the disappearance of Sarah. He concocts some wild story about him being threatened by some Romanian gang, who said he had to kidnap this woman for them or his family would be in danger, etc.

Absolute fecking psychopath. Here it is if anyone wants to see it. It's only a short vid.

Dunno, he looks like he’s actually bricking it there, and scrambling for a story like a little kid… reminded me more of Alan Partridge and the traffic cone than a psychopathic monster… which is scarier if anything