The murder of Sarah Everard | Couzens sentenced to a whole-life order

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Either the paper have massively misquoted her and potentially put their own bits and pieces in or it’s a ‘creative’ story.
Because it doesn’t make any sense as it reads knowing the mechanics of not just tinder but most dating apps. Either way there’s some abysmal journalism there. Do your fecking research or you know just ‘know stuff’…

You literally cannot be contacted by people who purely swiped right on you, without you swiping right back on them too. You also can’t seek people out by their name via any dating app except POF and even then itd have to be on the off chance you were using your real name. It’s all based on location and randomness.

In order for that article to be factually true, There’d have to be 50 police officers on tinder, who all happen to be within her live location radius. They’d also all have to have either have been in uniform or have police listed on their profile. She’d have to have swiped right and matched on all 50 of them. Only then could they then be in a position to send her messages.
Just on this, they didn't send her messages. "Contacting her" meant liking her profile and she could see who did so without matching with them because she had tinder gold.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
How has this taken until now to happen? I mean better late than never but you simply can't say stuff like that and also be the chief of the police.
Even today he had to be pushed into it by a vote of no confidence.

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
Either the paper have massively misquoted her and potentially put their own bits and pieces in or it’s a ‘creative’ story.
Because it doesn’t make any sense as it reads knowing the mechanics of not just tinder but most dating apps. Either way there’s some abysmal journalism there. Do your fecking research or you know just ‘know stuff’…

You literally cannot be contacted by people who purely swiped right on you, without you swiping right back on them too. You also can’t seek people out by their name via any dating app except POF and even then itd have to be on the off chance you were using your real name. It’s all based on location and randomness.

In order for that article to be factually true, There’d have to be 50 police officers on tinder, who all happen to be within her live location radius. They’d also all have to have either have been in uniform or have police listed on their profile. She’d have to have swiped right and matched on all 50 of them. Only then could they then be in a position to send her messages.
Haven't read the article, but that is factually incorrect. You can send messages without matching first (by subscribing).

Also, as @sullydnl days, if you have Tinder gold, you can see who swipes on you.

All it's needed was for one cop to find her profile and to share it with his buddies (yep, you can share profiles).

Ludens the Red

Maybe she is just a lying fecking idiot.
It’s possible… even with the below being doable it still isn’t realistic on the scale suggested in the article.
Just on this, they didn't send her messages. "Contacting her" meant liking her profile and she could see who did so without matching with them because she had tinder gold.
The language used in the article suggests they messaged her. The words contacted and approach suggest a little more than a swipe don’t you think?
Haven't read the article, but that is factually incorrect. You can send messages without matching first (by subscribing).

Also, as @sullydnl days, if you have Tinder gold, you can see who swipes on you.

All it's needed was for one cop to find her profile and to share it with his buddies (yep, you can share profiles).
You’re right, I stand corrected. Brought in last year, so the messaging is easy enough if you’re a platinum member that is. Although the profile sharing seems a little more tricky.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
It’s possible… even with the below being doable it still isn’t realistic on the scale suggested in the article.

The language used in the article suggests they messaged her. The words contacted and approach suggest a little more than a swipe don’t you think?

You’re right, I stand corrected. Brought in last year, so the messaging is easy enough if you’re a platinum member that is. Although the profile sharing seems a little more tricky.
Yep, I thought so too. But she said on twitter that they didn't message her. And technically liking her profile is making contact with her and approaching her online, though the article could have made the nature of that contact clearer if it really wanted to.

Though in effect the point it's making still stands. If a load of police officers deliberately liked her profile at the same time after she had been arrested then that's obviously extremely inappropriate behaviour, especially given the context.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Yep, I thought so too. But she said on twitter that they didn't message her. And technically liking her profile is making contact with her and approaching her online, though the article could have made the nature of that contact clearer if it really wanted to.

Though in effect the point it's making still stands. If a load of police officers deliberately liked her profile at the same time after she had been arrested then that's obviously extremely inappropriate behaviour, especially given the context.
How would they have done this given that tinder throws up people to match with or like at random? They all sat there swiping for weeks just so she would come up?

It just seems like completely obvious bullshit to me. To the point that I don't understand why anyone would have any reaction other than to just call her a liar.

She's a massive idiot. Taking an important issue and trying to use it to peddle nonsense that is only going to succeed in trivialising it.

Santos J

How would they have done this given that tinder throws up people to match with or like at random? They all sat there swiping for weeks just so she would come up?

It just seems like completely obvious bullshit to me. To the point that I don't understand why anyone would have any reaction other than to just call her a liar.

She's a massive idiot. Taking an important issue and trying to use it to peddle nonsense that is only going to succeed in trivialising it.
You can share a link to someones profile which is probably the implication of what happened

noodlehair

"It's like..."
You can share a link to someones profile which is probably the implication of what happened
But then her quotes make very little sense. I mean I can easily imagine people being stupid enough for it, but it's extremely farfetched to believe this happened. The next most reasonable explanation to her either massively exaggerating or making it up would be one person setting up loads of fake police officer profiles on tinder just to keep liking her photo.

I can far more easily believe idiots would send her death threats. I have a friend who was at the vigil and she gets all kinds of shit from men on her social media just for posting an opinion. One yesterday trying to claim women deserve all they get because they make false rape allegations :houllier:

Although she also said the police left her and most others alone at the vigil and it was only the people intent on clashing with them who got into any bother. Also worth remembering this was during a lockdown and at a time when there was pressure on the police in London to clamp down on people insisting on protesting en masse literally every day.

I'm not pro police and there's a lot of concerning stuff around this case. Particularly as it seems like there were multiple warning signs, but I wouldn't tar every police officer with the same brush as that's just going to end with creating the monster in order to spite it.

Last edited:

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Perhaps should have it's own thread but as it's directly echoing the discussion around women's safety that followed Everard's death, the topic has arisen again in Ireland after a 22 year old was beaten to death in an apparently random attack while out jogging in the afternoon:

Good to see the below sorts of discussions taking place on a sports show with a predominantly male listenership:

But it opens up the conversation again as to what more concrete measures can be taken to help ensure the safety of women in public. And also the conversations and self-reckoning men should be having to help rather than exacerbate those fears.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Perhaps should have it's own thread but as it's directly echoing the discussion around women's safety that followed Everard's death, the topic has arisen again in Ireland after a 22 year old was beaten to death in an apparently random attack while out jogging in the afternoon:

Good to see the below sorts of discussions taking place on a sports show with a predominantly male listenership:

But it opens up the conversation again as to what more concrete measures can be taken to help ensure the safety of women in public. And also the conversations and self-reckoning men should be having to help rather than exacerbate those fears.
Jesus Christ. Frightening that.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff

Terrifying. In the middle of the day too. Poor girl :(

Deery

Dreary

Terrible that it happened the poor girl but it was apparently done by a Romania national, maybe we should start double checking who’s let into the country, if they’re carrying previous convictions or not. Just seems to me if I hear a domestic murder or serious assault nowadays I seem to think foreign National because it usually turns out to be right.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
The fact that it happened at 4pm in a busy jogging route makes it particularly scary, never in a million years would it occur to me to feel unsafe in those sort of circumstances.

But maybe women don't have that luxury:

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Terrible that it happened the poor girl but it was apparently done by a Romania national, maybe we should start double checking who’s let into the country, if they’re carrying previous convictions or not. Just seems to me if I hear a domestic murder or serious assault nowadays I seem to think foreign National because it usually turns out to be right.
Maybe we need to start treating foreign nationals like human beings and investing in mental health services.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Like Wayne Couzens

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Just seems to me if I hear a domestic murder or serious assault nowadays I seem to think foreign National because it usually turns out to be right.
You missed the two recent cases in Ballyfermot?

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
That's absolute horseshit. Aside from the fact that more Irish men kill Irish women than all other nationalities combined, just last week two Irish men were released on €200 bail after attacking a 17 year old girl and leaving her with serious facial injuries. Rather than trying to blame foreigners for the sort of attacks committed overwhelmingly by men in every country, maybe you should shift focus where it belongs.

Deery

Dreary
That's absolute horseshit. Aside from the fact that more Irish men kill Irish women than all other nationalities combined, just last week two Irish men were released on €200 bail after attacking a 17 year old girl and leaving her with serious facial injuries. Rather than trying to blame foreigners for the sort of attacks committed overwhelmingly by men in every country, maybe you should shift focus where it belongs.
It’s no horseshit and you very well know it, doesn’t seem to be a week passes without hearing of some sort of violent crime committed.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
This one shook me. Ireland prides itself on being a safe country yet a young woman going for a jog in the middle of the day, on a busy walk way can somehow get beaten to death by a random guy she had never even spoken to. No motive, nothing. Just so horrific.

Well put. One of the biggest problems in this country is a justice system that fails to dish out proper sentences because our prisons have no space.

Deery

Dreary
What are you on about? Are you saying most of those crimes are by foreign nationals?
I’m saying there seems to be a growing trend of violent assaults and domestic murders coming from people no originally from here. I just wonder do other countries get rid of some of there violent offenders by putting them out the country or do they flea prison to be here..

diarm

It’s no horseshit and you very well know it, doesn’t seem to be a week passes without hearing of some sort of violent crime committed.
Do you have figures to back up this idea that a growing majority of violent crimes in Ireland are committed by foreign nationals?

Or is it just bog standard Daily Mail racism level pseudoscience?

Massive Spanner

I’m saying there seems to be a growing trend of violent assaults and domestic murders coming from people no originally from here. I just wonder do other countries get rid of some of there violent offenders by putting them out the country or do they flea prison to be here..
I’d love to see some stats to back that claim up?

Pickle85

Any stats to back this up or just a feeling you have? I'm not really sure why the perp's nationality is relevant - all comments like this do is move attention from what should be the central conversation around violence against women towards immigration scare stories.

Deery

Dreary
Do you have figures to back up this idea that a growing majority of violent crimes in Ireland are committed by foreign nationals?

Surely can’t say anything thing or your racist or you have 6/7 PC guys telling you your racist, dead on.

Deery

Dreary

And did I say majority?

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
The fact that it happened at 4pm in a busy jogging route makes it particularly scary, never in a million years would it occur to me to feel unsafe in those sort of circumstances.

But maybe women don't have that luxury:

That tweets strikes a chord. Never thought of my safety like that.

NotThatSoph

Do you have any reason to believe that? A quick google didn't get me anything for Ireland, and most data from Britain is on ethnicity rather than nationality, but I did find this from 2013: No absolute numbers, but neither increased asylum migrants or immigration from A8 countries had a relation with increased violent crime. If Britain and Ireland are different here, surely you'd expect Britain to be "worse". Speaking as a Norwegian it's not even close to true here, it's more like 20 %. I'm not aware of any country in the world where it's over 50 %, or even close to it.

Your thinking seems crazy to me, but if you have some actual numbers to back it up then I guess Ireland is weird. The foreign born population in Ireland is around 13 %.

Last edited:

Massive Spanner

Surely can’t say anything thing or your racist or you have 6/7 PC guys telling you your racist, dead on.
I think it’s sad that something as horrible as this happens and your first thought is to hone in on the suspects nationality and make baseless claims with no proof about foreign nationals in general. You don’t exactly need to look far to find plenty of examples of Irish men committing heinous crimes against women.

Massive Spanner

Do you have any reason to believe that? A quick google didn't get me anything for Ireland, and most data from Britain is on ethnicity rather than nationality, but I did find [this](https://migrationobservatory.ox.ac.uk/resources/briefings/immigration-and-crime-evidence-for-the-uk-and-other-countries/) from 2013: No absolute numbers, but neither increased asylum migrants or immigration from A8 countries had a relation with increased violent crime. If Britain and Ireland are different here, surely you'd expect Britain to be "worse". Speaking as a Norwegian it's not even close to true here, it's more like 20 %. I'm not aware of any country in the world where it's over 50 %, or even close to it.

Your thinking seems crazy to me, but if you have some actual numbers to back it up then I guess Ireland is weird. The foreign born population in Ireland is around 13 %.
He’s talking complete shit.

NotThatSoph

And did I say majority?
Obviously you did say majority. People are either foreign born or they're not, that's two alternatives. If it's usually one category, then it's usually not the other category. You think it's usually people that are foreign born, so you have to believe that it's usually not people born in Ireland. It's incoherent to believe that the offender is usually an immigrant but more often than not someone born in Ireland.

He’s talking complete shit.
Figured I'd try being polite for once, new year and all.