The mythical talents of Antony

Status
Not open for further replies.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
He didn’t do anything. And it was still one of his better games.

Remember the geese

Look at how shit we were at carrying the ball forward when he was subbed off. Zinchenko planted himself on AWB because nothing was going the other way anymore.
He was very good today
I actually think he played pretty well. Particularly first half. I think the frustration comes because people basically want him to play like Garnacho, while at the same time they are unable to see or appreciate the things that he does well.

Newtonius

Yeah idk his performances aren't great but you can give him the benefit of a doubt at such a young age in a new league the real worry is his limitations as a player are becoming more and more obvious with each game.

CloneMC16

This is probably the best Antony has played this season. I still don't think he was good, but he was actually running at his man. I want to see him do that more. His problem was a lack of quality at the end of his runs. Even using his left foot, his crossing has been awful. He also completely ruined a transition when he played a horrible pass to Rashford.

FromTheBench

He holds the width well. Is decent at short passing and some touches.

But man he is poor on counters. Slows it down or makes the wrong pass or just mistimes the pass.

Raiden Shogun

Supports
FC Barca
Harsh thread.

I said in the summer United should of taken the risk on Dembele. Brainless moments aside, he's literally everything the caf wants in a winger; pace, takes on players for fun, no weak foot, assist machine, I think he'd be perfect for PL football actually.

ten Hag clearly values a different type of winger though if we look at his Ajax team. Antony is a system winger and people got suckered into thinking he's something he isn't because he's Brazilian and youtube compilations.

He needs to improve but remember Antony didn't set the price, the guy even did his best to force a move to United, give him time.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
OP needs banned from making threads after losses. You could've just posted that in his performances thread.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
As if there isn't enough talking shit about him in almost every other thread. Like feck we needed another one.

Not every thought that enters your head needs its own thread.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
From what we’ve seen so far, I’d say;

Strengths:
  • Ball retention in close spaces - he’s pretty good under the press;
  • Agility and balance - even though he slips every now and again he’s quite nimble;
  • Decent curled shot on his left foot cutting in;
  • Ball progression — probably more whilst at Ajax but he’s good at carrying the ball from our half into their half (even if he seems hopeless in the final third right now)
  • Defensive work rate and blockings
Weaknesses:
  • Hideously one footed;
  • Not particularly fast;
  • Doesn’t seem to be capable/have the courage to take his man on;
  • Creativity has been extremely low. Very few progressive passes a game, very few that look like actual assist worthy chances created

Chairman Steve

I actually thought he was decent in the first half and faded in the second half.

It’s still too early. He’s still quite young and he’s in a team that’s not the finished article and has a price tag he absolutely didn’t set.

I’ve said it before but it’ll be a worry if no progression has been made a year from now. The guys barely played 100 games in Europe.

Samoerai Jack

My take is that Antony is a "box-to-box" winger. Similar to box-to-box midfielders who excel at the ends of the pitch but not in the middle, Antony does all the secondary things of a winger very well.

Holding the ball, providing a goal threat, keeping shape and closing down the opponent: the qualities of both a striker and a fullback. He lacks the speed and technique of a classic winger however so he's not that great on the wing itself.

Yet he's not in bad company; Thomas Müller is a great example of how valuable such a player can be. Besides that, Antony has the attitude and the character of a United player. He's passionate, brave and headstrong.

Reactions: 711

Dion

Today he gets a massive pass for having to play down the right with McTominay and AWB, he was basically on his own.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
It's a good job players don't read these forums, because of they did no top player would ever want to join us given the shit they would surely get

Status
Not open for further replies.