The natural successor: Has Neymar blown it?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Yeah but he isn’t
No one that actually watch PSG and both players will conclude that Mbappé is currently the better player. Neymar is the technical leader and the one making things happen, Mbappé is a great player and it's a lot easier when they are both on the field but Neymar absence is a lot more problematic.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Unless Mbappe’s career takes a turn for the worse, he will not be playing for PSG at his peak.

It was a stupid transfer from Neymar, probably fueled by his desire to be the man. Nothing against PSG, but the league isn’t the place for the very best in the world. Too few competitive games and no massive occasions for him to do what he did tonight.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
This guy is one of the most gifted players ever with the ball at his feet.

Ludicrously good

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Without him, Barcelona never have a remontada. He's always a big game player and rarely disappoints if he's fit, which isn't always the case unfortunately for football.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
No one that actually watch PSG and both players will conclude that Mbappé is currently the better player. Neymar is the technical leader and the one making things happen, Mbappé is a great player and it's a lot easier when they are both on the field but Neymar absence is a lot more problematic.
Mbappe’s absence looked pretty problematic tonight. Game was won after he came on, no?

Womp

idiot
Mbappe is not better than Neymar. Neymar is the more technical, the better dribbler and just as good, if not a better finisher. Mbappe is still very young though. Both players are amongst the best forwards in the game though, having both is unfair.

KeanoMagicHat

Neymar is the last of the great Brazilian players in more ways than one, that was old samba soccer at its best, the style that made people love the game. There isn't enough purposeful dribbling and free-flowing brilliance anymore but Neymar was something right out of Pele, Garrincha, Ronaldinho heritage.

Womp

idiot
Mbappe’s absence looked pretty problematic tonight. Game was won after he came on, no?
Won by two goals that Neymar was largely influential in. It's not as simple as that. Of course the team is going to perform better with better players on the pitch.

JPRouve

Scout
One thing I absolutely love about Neymar is he never ever hides in these games. He’s actually underperformed a few times but no one could accuse him of hiding.
It's actually mesmerizing because he does it with all his teams, he has done it with Santos, Barcelona, Brazil and PSG. You just know that he will put the team on his back and an other thing is that he seems to genuinely like playing with his teammates, on the field he isn't self-centered.

JPRouve

Scout
Because Sarabia and Icardi are useless half of the time, it's even worse when you swap Neymar for Mbappé. Mbappé and Neymar play well together, Neymar can impose himself on a game without Mbappé but Mbappé and Icardi don't click at all, same issue with Cavani.

432JuanMata

It’s the typical PL fan that call the French league a farmers(it is too be fair) that they discredit any top player that plays there, so then they only watch the likes of Neymar in the CL and realise how good he is.
Don’t get me wrong I do the same. Neymar is easily top 3-4 in the world and has been for a while he just plays in the league that people disregard even hat tricks from him because the standard is lower. It was bold decision to move to PSG(also good for his bank account) but he really needs that CL there to prove it was the right decision.

mshnsh

Closest player to Messi and Ronaldo in the past decade.

Forget about De Bruyne or Lewandowski, he's clear of both.
Honestly, in terms of play outside the box, he is and always has been far superior to Cristiano. Take tonights game, Neymar does pretty much everything in a fantastic performance that, Cristiano, in his entire career has never really produced. But, if Cristano was playing tonight he would have been scoring the 2 goals exactly how they were scored and run away with all the credit. He has been doing this for most of his career and by playing for 3 of the biggest clubs in the world plus ALOT of marketin/PR means that he is super popular which inturn means exaggeration of how good he is.

So, i would say closest to Messi in the last decade but far superior to Cristiano interms of allround play but inferior to both interms of goalscoring. I'd also say the most talented since Messi.

wr8_utd

:'(
I love the way he'll just grab hold of a game and drag his team to a win or try to. Today was similar to the 6-1 vs PSG where he was just on a single-minded mission to win the game. Apart from the poor finishing today, ofcourse.

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
This is fact and one the reasons why people don’t like saying he’s that good. Also the fact that with his antics he’s hard to like unless he plays for your team
That's the problem with him.
He loves to show off, against low sides, when he's winning.
He's like a kid who thinks he's just better than everyone.

Oh look, we scored against Costa Rica in the dying minutes, gonna pull out the rainbow flicks... Look at me
Same with Athletic Bilbao

Utter bellend

RooneyLegend

He was unlucky had he to play with those 2 in the first half. He ragdolled the defence and they were never there to credit from his hard work. I think that's where Mbappe is different, he'll always be making great runs in behind for him to find him. Neymar's finishing was hopeless though, he'll have to do better than that if they're to win the title.

432JuanMata

Oh look, we scored against Costa Rica in the dying minutes, gonna pull out the rainbow flicks... Look at me

Utter bellend
Absolutely agree. It was fine when he came on the scene as he was a kid even into his early 20’s but he 27 he should be a experienced player and have a more mature mentality. It’s just my opinion though

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout

Utter bellend
Not 'thinks' though, is it? It's more 'knows', but the funny thing is, if Ronaldinho did the same things you're describing, and he did, frequently, it's a joy and joga bonito and a blessing for football. Neymar does it, and he's <insert expletive>

It does frame the obstacles he faces for being what he is quite seamlessly.

Never known a player so talented to be so despised.

Womp

idiot
Not 'thinks' though, is it? It's more 'knows', but the funny thing is, if Ronaldinho did the same things you're describing, and he did, frequently, it's a joy and joga bonito and a blessing for football. Neymar does it, and he's <insert expletive>

Absolutely agree. People just don't like Neymar, simple as. We should be encouraging technical skill like that. It's what gets people off their seats and excites fans.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
nice to see a few people wake up to what talent Neymar really has :lol:

strangely enough he had zero play acting in this match also. Just go on with it and took it to them. Shame he didn’t score as that performance deserved it, but anybody who knows football can see what a performance that was. Goals don’t make it good or bad.

Womp

idiot

strangely enough he had zero play acting in this match also. Just go on with it and took it to them. Shame he didn’t score as that performance deserved it, but anybody who knows football can see what a performance that was. Goals don’t make it good or bad.
I'd like to think people stopped doubting his ability some time ago. Just seems that people don't like him.

TrustInOle

Utter bellend
What absolute crap! Football is an entertainment and there arn't many more entertaining on a pitch than neymar.

Can you imagine the hate Ronaldinho would receive from fans these days. :houllier:

Eddy_JukeZ

Utter bellend
So you felt the same way about Ronaldinho then?

JPRouve

Scout

The play acting part is exaggerated, in Spain and Brazil he was routinely clattered because it's the easiest way to stop him and it took him a while to understand that he needs to go down otherwise referees seem to not care about fouls. There are games where he anticipates too much but people need to realize that the alternative is that he gets assaulted.

VivaObertan

Transfer Voyeur

Pretty much this.

One of the top 5 players in the world for over 4 seasons now.

KeanoMagicHat

Utter bellend
I'd like to see more rainbow flicks and tricks, it's entertainment, it gets fans on their edge of their seats. If you can do, why not?

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
why is he so disrespected & underrated by so many? Is it the injuries? The man is levels above anyone in the premier league & clearly the 2nd most gifted player in world football after Messi.

Utter bellend
If you got it, flaunt it. The obsession with graft & grit over flair & entertainment has always bothered me. It’s so weird. Football is supposed to be fun!

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
Ronaldinho did it every game, no matter the score.
That was part of his game.

Neymar does it to taunt the opposition.
As the saying goes, Kicking a man when he's down.

The Costa Rica game is the perfect example. Massively up against it. Gave it their all for 90minutes, conceding near the end, then having somebody flicking it over their heads to add insult to injury.

Neymar is an exceptional player, I've not said he isn't, but what he does, when he does it is unnecessary.
Sure, if after 20mins, 2-0 down he wants to beat a man with a rainbow flick, then do it, but does he? No... Wonder why

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
The play acting part is exaggerated, in Spain and Brazil he was routinely clattered because it's the easiest way to stop him and it took him a while to understand that he needs to go down otherwise referees seem to not care about fouls. There are games where he anticipates too much but people need to realize that the alternative is that he gets assaulted.
Oh absolutely it’s a self defence mechanism, but sometimes I’ve seen him go down with little contact, sometimes he’s been absolutely smashed.

he was fouled plenty tonight but he didn’t make a big deal out of it, just got up and demanded the ball again and again.

I absolutely love that about him, doesn’t matter if he’s having a bad shooting game or his dribbles/passes are working he still keeps going.

I think this is also why I like pogba so much.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton

You'll all get to see him a lot more next season so don't worry lads.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
If you got it, flaunt it. The obsession with graft & grit over flair & entertainment has always bothered me. It’s so weird. Football is supposed to be fun!
Feels like that's more of a UK thing from an older generation, but they have some youth players with plenty of flair and it might change some minds if it comes with results.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
You don't have to like him to realise he's almost impossible to deal with. He did one dive early on that was a bit pathetic, but he was fouled almost every time he got the ball. His set piece delivery was excellent, his passing and movement was top notch, his finishing was completely off.

Along with de Bruyne the player who has reached the highest levels in recent years, behind Ronnie and Messi.

Suedesi

Honestly, in terms of play outside the box, he is and always has been far superior to Cristiano. Take tonights game, Neymar does pretty much everything in a fantastic performance that, Cristiano, in his entire career has never really produced. But, if Cristano was playing tonight he would have been scoring the 2 goals exactly how they were scored and run away with all the credit. He has been doing this for most of his career and by playing for 3 of the biggest clubs in the world plus ALOT of marketin/PR means that he is super popular which inturn means exaggeration of how good he is.

So, i would say closest to Messi in the last decade but far superior to Cristiano interms of allround play but inferior to both interms of goalscoring. I'd also say the most talented since Messi.
Spot on

Revan

Assumptionman

Or he would have scored those 2-3 one on one chances that Neymar managed to not even shoot in the target, and give his team an easy victory. You know, like he has been doing in his entire career.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
I love the way he'll just grab hold of a game and drag his team to a win or try to. Today was similar to the 6-1 vs PSG where he was just on a single-minded mission to win the game. Apart from the poor finishing today, ofcourse.
I only saw the YouTube BT sports highlights (6 mins) and those 2 misses look very bad. Am assuming he was magnificent for the remainder of the game?

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
I only saw the YouTube BT sports highlights (6 mins) and those 2 misses look very bad. Am assuming he was magnificent for the remainder of the game?
You would be correct.

His shear ability on the ball is out of this world.

He makes football look like a joke sometimes.