The natural successor: Has Neymar blown it?

mshnsh

The ability level is pretty much the same though. Sometimes, winning is just as much about luck on a certain day as it is about talent
Honestly, his ability is beyond Cristiano but not as good as Messi at his peak. The later's ability to beat the last man/men and score as well as to create chances is unparalleled especially in his prime in addition to the ability to make the right decisions in the final third.

mshnsh

He’s one of the greats still in my book.
It’s was criminal him doing his selfish act in the second half as other have stated but PSG never got anyone around him in the centre of the pitch to support.

Based on pure talent he’s up there with Ronaldo 9 and Ronaldinho. Nothing much between all 3 and he might be the most well rounded of the bunch attacking wise.

He made some bad life choices though so will never get the respect of the other two even if he scored 5 last night.
On pure talent;

Messi, than R9 than Ronaldinho. Neymar sits below that bunch.

TheLord

Neymar Covid-19 positive
Even though footballers are very fit, they are extremely likely to get the virus as they literally have to remain in the close proximity of others for hours at a stretch without the facemask.

They're more susceptible to contracting the virus than many of us in other professions. That's one more reason to have a good squad depth this season, apart from the inevitable injuries.

Deery

Dreary
Neymar Covid-19 positive
Even though footballers are very fit, they are extremely likely to get the virus as they literally have to remain in the close proximity of others for hours at a stretch without the facemask.

They're more susceptible to contracting the virus than many of us in other professions. That's one more reason to have a good squad depth this season, apart from the inevitable injuries.
He got it in Ibiza

mshnsh

On talent I would have Ronaldinho, Messi. Ronaldinho had an amazing talent but money destroyed his future.
Ronaldinho was more entertaining but at the fundamental aspects of the game, messi trumps him in every single way.

First, Messi's dribbling is better than Ronaldinho's was and definitely more effective and efficient. Whereas Ronaldinho would use a step over or a trick, Messi would just use a drop of his shoulder and be away from his marker. Result, less time wasted and more productivity. The end result is that Messi's dribbling is much more likely to lead to a goal directly or via an assist. You can apply the same when comparing to Neymar or to a lesser extent R9.

Second, Ronaldinho had great vision no question and probably equal in that regard to Messi but I terms of execution of the final pass, Messi trumps him. The result is that Messi's passing is more likely to result in an assist or open up a defence. In this regard, only Michael Laudrup compares.

Third, the gap in terms of goal scoring is huge. And keep in mind that Messi isn't just some goal poacher but rather a scorer of great goals.

These same comparison could be applied when comparing Messi to Neymar or Brazilian Ronaldo. And are the reason why Messi is the most talented footballer I have ever seen and by far. I understand the nostalgia around Ronaldinho and Ronaldo given how they played and personally they are amongst my favourite ever footballers.

Last edited:

yan man utd

The gap is huge... come on dude.

Ronaldinho did not have anything like the same talent around him that Messi has had.
It’s v difficult to compare players - Ronaldinho, for a start was a proper no 10 if anything an attacking midfielder ... then we have rivaldo who was sensational. Neither had Busquets, xavi, Iniesta, or anything like the strikers that have partnered up in the 11 alongside the Messi

Messi is able to do many things and what has allowed him to stand out is his ability to create play as well as get on the end of it With pace as well as beating a man but not just through skill but pace

Maradona took the ball from the goal keeper and it ended up in the net - with average players around him

you compare - but you don’t bring up many other players - best - who drank 10 pints and shagged miss world on the way to old Trafford

Messi is an athlete who learned how to dance aged 4 and has been fed god knows what on his way to becoming an uninjured player season after season

brilliant yes - but comparable to the natural great talents of the past - tough to say

very tough to say - and that’s putting it politely

by the way RonaldoS - top players but simply out and out strikers not on the same level as footballers as any of the above - anyone who says Cristiano is even on the same level as Messi doesn’t know football

that does not mean Messi is as gifted or better than maradona or best or Ronaldinho or rivaldo Or a few others. He just has just been more effective given his team mates. The proof is
His record with Argentina.

maradona pissed on the planet - twice -
Proper one man team
Best was pissed all the time and pissed on everyone - personality - no substitute mate

Last edited:

TheLord

He got it in Ibiza
All the recently reported ones in France and England have been linked to partying in Spain or Greece. But, I was raising a general point about how footballers are at an increased risk of contracting Covid-19.

Renegade

The gap is huge... come on dude.

Ronaldinho did not have anything like the same talent around him that Messi has had.
It’s v difficult to compare players - Ronaldinho, for a start was a proper no 10 if anything an attacking midfielder ... then we have rivaldo who was sensational. Neither had Busquets, xavi, Iniesta, or anything like the strikers that have partnered up in the 11 alongside the Messi

Messi is able to do many things and what has allowed him to stand out is his ability to create play as well as get on the end of it With pace as well as beating a man but not just through skill but pace

Maradona took the ball from the goal keeper and it ended up in the net - with average players around him

you compare - but you don’t bring up many other players - best - who drank 10 pints and shagged miss world on the way to old Trafford

Messi is an athlete who learned how to dance aged 4 and has been fed god knows what on his way to becoming an uninjured player season after season

brilliant yes - but comparable to the natural great talents of the past - tough to say

very tough to say - and that’s putting it politely

by the way RonaldoS - top players but simply out and out strikers not on the same level as footballers as any of the above - anyone who says Cristiano is even on the same level as Messi doesn’t know football

that does not mean Messi is as gifted or better than maradona or best or Ronaldinho or rivaldo Or a few others. He just has just been more effective given his team mates. The proof is
His record with Argentina.

maradona pissed on the planet - twice -
Proper one man team
Best was pissed all the time and pissed on everyone - personality - no substitute mate
When did that happen?

PedroMendez

Acolyte
I don't think that the has blown anything, but at the beginning of his career his potential seemed to be almost unlimited. Especially his performances for the national team were truly special and due to injuries, bad luck and bad choices, he hasn't quite lived up to it.

He was injured at the worst time: the 2014 WC against Germany, which "should" have been his path to greatness and in some of the crucial games in the CL for PSG. He had some special CL games for Barca, but wasn't great in the final against Bayern. The biggest disappointment of his career has to be the 2018 WC. He totally lost the plot and showed a terrible attitude. A year later, Brazil won the copa 2019 without him. There is a good chance, that he'll end up as all-time top scorer for Brazil and some of his performances for the national team have been outstanding. Still, in the end its all about winning the WC and thats how his legacy is going to be decided.

jdotman

Ronaldinho was more entertaining but at the fundamental aspects of the game, messi trumps him in every single way.

First, Messi's dribbling is better than Ronaldinho's was and definitely more effective and efficient. Whereas Ronaldinho would use a step over or a trick, Messi would just use a drop of his shoulder and be away from his marker. Result, less time wasted and more productivity. The end result is that Messi's dribbling is much more likely to lead to a goal directly or via an assist. You can apply the same to Neymar or to a lesser extent R9.

Second, Ronaldinho had great vision no question and probably equal in that regard to Messi but I terms of execution of the final pass, Messi trumps him. The result is that Messi's passing is more likely to result in an assist or open up a defence. In this regard, only Michael Laudrup compares.

Third, the gap in terms of goal scoring is huge. And keep in mind that Messi isn't just some goal poacher but rather a scorer of great goals.

These same comparison could be applied when comparing Messi to Neymar or Brazilian Ronaldo. And are the reason why Messi is the most talented footballer I have ever seen and by far. I understand the nostalgia around Ronaldinho and Ronaldo given how they played.
Ronaldinhos vision was far superior to messis, im sure he would even tell you that himself

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
2 questions. Is that his mother he's dryhumping?
And does the man have a painting of himself as half Joker in his living room?
Yes on the 1st question. It looks like it to the 2nd question.

mshnsh

Ronaldinhos vision was far superior to messis, im sure he would even tell you that himself
No. The only thing Ronaldinho was better at was tricks and flicks. Interms of vision, if you watched Barcelona back in the day and now, there is nothing to choose between the 2 players. But Ronaldinho had many more passes not reaching the target compared to Messi.

jdotman

No. The only thing Ronaldinho was better at was tricks and flicks. Interms of vision, if you watched Barcelona back in the day and now, there is nothing to choose between the 2 players. But Ronaldinho had many more passes not reaching the target compared to Messi.
His vision was superior. He could see and make passes that messi cant, messi is a better playmaker in general and is more efficient in making goals, but Ronaldinho would do passes that nobody else on the pitch could see. Even a lot of the time his teammate wouldnt start moving until the ball comes into their path

Luke1995

Honestly, his ability is beyond Cristiano but not as good as Messi at his peak. The later's ability to beat the last man/men and score as well as to create chances is unparalleled especially in his prime in addition to the ability to make the right decisions in the final third.
I think Cristiano maximizes his talents in a way that Neymar couldn't do yet. Neymar never scores 50 goals per season...

mshnsh

Tha
His vision was superior. He could see and make passes that messi cant, messi is a better playmaker in general and is more efficient in making goals, but Ronaldinho would do passes that nobody else on the pitch could see. Even a lot of the time his teammate wouldnt start moving until the ball comes into their path
That simply isn't true. Messi makes passes that even spectators can't see until he has actually executed it.

mshnsh

I think Cristiano maximizes his talents in a way that Neymar couldn't do yet. Neymar never scores 50 goals per season...
I agree. Goalscoring wasn't what Cristiano was about when he came to Man Utd but he has become one of the greatest goalscorers ever. However, his play outside of that simply pales in comparison to Neymar.

Luke1995

I agree. Goalscoring wasn't what Cristiano was about when he came to Man Utd but he has become one of the greatest goalscorers ever. However, his play outside of that simply pales in comparison to Neymar.
Yeah because he's 35. When he was 28 like Neymar is now, he did basically the same things Neymar has been doing.

jdotman

Tha

That simply isn't true. Messi makes passes that even spectators can't see until he has actually executed it.
They both have videos on youtube called 'The Art of Passing' you should watch. Messi has amazing vision that is up there with the best but if you watch half of the video is the same ball over to the left back or left winger. More like something that is worked on in training, not really instinctive vision on the pitch. Ronaldinho could unlock the defence from any position on the pitch and you can see the difference in vision from these two videos

pav1790

Neymar had the chance. He’s blown it. World has moved on. There are new challengers who will be better than him in a year or two. Messi and Ronaldo remained at the summit for good decade before potential challengers even emerged on the horizon.

Eddy_JukeZ

I prefer watching Neymar play than Messi
Might be better than Messi now outright(depends on how the following season goes).

Messi looked really poor since the restart for his standards and I thought he had his worst season since 2013-2014 easily.

Pretty sure most of Messi's goals this past season in La Liga came vs the bottom 10 teams.

DarkLord

Or else...
I never understand this. This is so weird on such a level that I can't comprehend. Snuggling with your sister your biological sister?! Is this normal in South American's culture? I know they are very family oriented and have an extremely close and tight bond with their family but surely this is taking things a bit too far.

Son

On pure talent;

Messi, than R9 than Ronaldinho. Neymar sits below that bunch.
Yeah I’d agree with that. Messi is by far the best player in my opinion. He’s a different level to anyone else who has played the game. His vision and football has never really been matched. He’s also the most effective player in the world too.

Zidane was probably the second best I’ve ever seen in the game when he was on top form based on pure ability maybe not effectiveness. Just was ridiculously good.

Neymar is still a legend but never really shone as bright as he maybe could have. He’s still been one of the finest footballers I have personally seen.

MADReaLJL

Yeah because he's 35. When he was 28 like Neymar is now, he did basically the same things Neymar has been doing.
I think a lot of people forgotten how good Ronaldo was when he was younger. I remember he dancing around players while still scoring 50 goals each season.

Perhaps after 2013 he started to slow down his dribbling and flair.

Too bad Messi was producing ridiculous output and Barcelona winning a lot at the similar time overshadowed his overall play.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
While Cristiano was a great dribbler until around 2013, he was never as good at it or as technically gifted as Neymar. He also stopped dribbling and running the game much earlier than he needed to. His highest scoring seasons for example weren't comparable to Neymar's contribution. He already was a goal scorer first and foremost back then.

When we're talking about Cristiano during his United days and during his first Madrid seasons, it's a different story. Still, Neymar is an even better dribbler and creator than even this version of CR7 used to be. Therefore, Ronaldo's output and consistency is far superior.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
I never understand this. This is so weird on such a level that I can't comprehend. Snuggling with your sister your biological sister?! Is this normal in South American's culture? I know they are very family oriented and have an extremely close and tight bond with their family but surely this is taking things a bit too far.
It's not my thing but i have friends that do that in Europe with their brothers/sisters/mothers, there's nothing wrong about it. It's his mother btw.

Luke1995

I think a lot of people forgotten how good Ronaldo was when he was younger. I remember he dancing around players while still scoring 50 goals each season.

Perhaps after 2013 he started to slow down his dribbling and flair.

Too bad Messi was producing ridiculous output and Barcelona winning a lot at the similar time overshadowed his overall play.
I think 2011-2012 was his physical and technical peak.