The natural successor: Has Neymar blown it?

Maureen-yo

Hes a more skillful version of ozil..but with a greedy streak. A least ozil was a team player with regards to passing and creating chances
Neymar has an average of 20 assists (God knows how many chances he created were missed) and goals in each of the last 5 seasons, your post is simply stupid.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Some of these guys are delusional. "Hes a more skillful version of ozil" shocking man.
It's amazing how disliking a player can really make one oblivious as to how silly they sound talking about said player.

ti vu

I don't think Neymar had a good performance. Just being decisive with the first goal, and staying at the right place and right time for his second.

Neymar was ill disciplined for huge part of the game. Not pressing. Not tracking back. Blind dribbling. Questionable decision making with his passing, and movement.

He's a tryer though, but among them this game, Rashford was the best if we judge on overall performance.

RedDevil@84

He had a decent performance. Got kicked around somewhat and got stamped too. His game was usual. He always has his moments. And he took them well when he got the chance.
That's how good players do even on a bad day.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
I don't think Neymar had a good performance. Just being decisive with the first goal, and staying at the right place and right time for his second.

Neymar was ill disciplined for huge part of the game. Not pressing. Not tracking back. Blind dribbling. Questionable decision making with his passing, and movement.

He's a tryer though, but among them this game, Rashford was the best if we judge on overall performance.
I agree with you about the fact that Neymar's overall performance isn't amazing.

But come on, on his second goal "staying at the right place"?? He's the one taking the ball, dribbling 3 players, bringing the ball forward, passing and then he ends up in the box. This goal is like 80% Neymar.

Last edited:

Obiorahking_

Neymar simply played well. No harm in admitting arguably the most talented player in the world caused your team some issues after managing to silence him in the previous round. If he wasn't such a pansy and could stomach England weather, I'd welcome him here with open arms. Better off here than at PSG tbh.

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich

With 3 DMs (Danilo, Paredes, Verrati/Gueye) behind him, why does he need to track back. At the end, it was just him and Mbappe upfront

ti vu

With 3 DMs (Danilo, Paredes, Verrati/Gueye) behind him, why does he need to track back. At the end, it was just him and Mbappe upfront
It's at the end. Before that, PSG was wide open. Our bad for not taking our chances, or it would be a very different game, and Neymar wouldn't get away with such lack of contribution. It's a team game. Even us who got the upper hand for huge part of the game having our attackers contribute to defensive game plan when not in possession.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots

He had 9 dribbles (5 successful - which is excellent numbers) today - for a so called lazy player he puts in a shift with the ball at his feet. I think he’s magical - gets far too much stick... yes he’s a cnut but undeniably a superb world class footballer.

ti vu

I agree with you about the fact that Neymar's overall performance isn't amazing.

But come on, on his second goal "staying at the right place"?? He's the one taking the ball, dribbling 3 players, bringing the ball forward, passing and then he ends up in the box. This goal is like 80% Neymar.

Telles lost possession. The only player that was closest to challenge was MaGuire who was not the best of tackler/defender. Bruno position mean he had more chance foul than touch the ball (he should have fouled Neymar there if being better coached). VDB was no where close to be involved in that phase.

The next 2 players played as crucial role in the goal. All game we saw players messing up that part, either trying to go for goal themselves, safe pass or bad execution of the pass.

432JuanMata

Great player going to the French league did him no favours as most here don’t watch him and he is in a league that PSG walk anyway. Overall he is class

ti vu

He had 9 dribbles (5 successful - which is excellent numbers) today - for a so called lazy player he puts in a shift with the ball at his feet. I think he’s magical - gets far too much stick... yes he’s a cnut but undeniably a superb world class footballer.
Quite few of those dribbling went no where. See my point re blind dribbling, tryer, and ill disciplined. Lazy? I am not being that general when making my point

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
Telles lost possession. The only player that was closest to challenge was MaGuire who was not the best of tackler/defender. Bruno position mean he had more chance foul than touch the ball (he should have fouled Neymar there if being better coached). VDB was no where close to be involved in that phase.

The next 2 players played as crucial role in the goal. All game we saw players messing up that part, either trying to go for goal themselves, safe pass or bad execution of the pass.
Oh yeah so it was an easy one, he just happened to be there. Gotcha.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
It baffles me seeing the mental gymnastics people do to downplay Neymar. He's a prick, we all know this but he's bloody fantastic at football. The third goal was all him

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
It baffles me seeing the mental gymnastics people do to downplay Neymar. He's a prick, we all know this but he's bloody fantastic at football. The third goal was all him
He took the ball, dribbled past two players, played Mbappe in, and finished the move but he was...
Just being decisive with the first goal, and staying at the right place and right time for his second.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
It was good play against 10 men in the last minute.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
It was good play against 10 men in the last minute.
This. He was culpable for 2/3 decent counters because he’s a lazy cnut. Shame we didn’t score.

He’s the reason watching Brazil these days, I want them to lose

bsCallout

To me he seems to be less selfish now, he's class. Perhaps a similar trajectory to Ronaldo who was selfish early on with all the tricks but then added that ability to play with the team when required.

Seems to be applying himself more.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
I like him. One of the best players around right now. Genius footballer.

dal

I thought he was unbelievable in all honesty. Ball sticks to him like glue all game and created and finished the third.

Him and Mbappe gave me shivers all night.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
To me he seems to be less selfish now, he's class. Perhaps a similar trajectory to Ronaldo who was selfish early on with all the tricks but then added that ability to play with the team when required.

Neymar has never been selfish, I don't really get where that idea comes from.

El Zoido

I don’t want to take anything away from him, but we were down to 10 and were completely shot, physically. He did good but we were all at sea by that point.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum

Ronaldo only had his selfish streak until about 23, which is normal for a young player, Neymar will be 29 in 2 months.

The difference yesterday was us being down to 10 men, not him, when we were 11 v 11 I wasn't that worried about him, he just doesn't strike me with fear the way Messi or Ronaldo did when we played Barca/Real.

Shame as his talent means he should be scaring the hell put of his opponents - his career would still be considered good, but he could have achieved so much more.

mshnsh

Neymar simply played well. No harm in admitting arguably the most talented player in the world caused your team some issues after managing to silence him in the previous round. If he wasn't such a pansy and could stomach England weather, I'd welcome him here with open arms. Better off here than at PSG tbh.
Messi is easily more talented. No question

mshnsh

Ronaldo only had his selfish streak until about 23, which is normal for a young player, Neymar will be 29 in 2 months.

The difference yesterday was us being down to 10 men, not him, when we were 11 v 11 I wasn't that worried about him, he just doesn't strike me with fear the way Messi or Ronaldo did when we played Barca/Real.

Shame as his talent means he should be scaring the hell put of his opponents - his career would still be considered good, but he could have achieved so much more.
Ronaldo was not good at all when we played Real or Juventus recently. Despite scoring.

bsCallout

I agree all in all.

bsCallout

You could also help me understand your point of view and what you mean by selfish.
Without telling you to go watch all his old games it's pointless.

Throughout his career he has been described as selfish, just type it on google.

In the past few years he seems to have added the ability in his game to rely on others not just his own brilliance.

His decision making wasn't great when he was younger, doing too much on his own and at times it made plenty of people question his value to a team despite his obvious talent.

Matthew84!

I thought neymar after scoring the first had a terrible game, kept falling over trying to get our players booked, we went down to 10 men then took off bissaka he showed some skill in the last 10 minutes when we were throwing everyone forward and loads of space,

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
Ronaldo was not good at all when we played Real or Juventus recently. Despite scoring.
I was talking about that fear factor, I personally don't really have that with Neymar (was more afraid of Mbappe).

It's all just opinions at the end of the day.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Neymar has never been selfish, I don't really get where that idea comes from.
His problem is that in arguably the two biggest games of his career - the World Cup quarter-final against Belgium in 2018 and the Champions League Final in August - he has hung on to the ball too long and tried to do too much by himself. As often the perceptions of players are defined by these small samples of big games, I can see why he gets the 'selfish' tag, even though the vast majority of the time he's a completely unselfish player who repeatedly serves up opportunities for his teammates.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Without telling you to go watch all his old games it's pointless.

Throughout his career he has been described as selfish, just type it on google.

In the past few years he seems to have added the ability in his game to rely on others not just his own brilliance.

His decision making wasn't great when he was younger, doing too much on his own and at times it made plenty of people question his value to a team despite his obvious talent.
Neymar wasn't selfish for Barcelona and has never been selfish for PSG. Also google isn't a reference in terms of truth, you will find people describing people wrongly all over internet.