The natural successor: Has Neymar blown it?

Cloud7

I don't think its controversial anymore to say that Messi and Ronaldo are no longer the best in the world. They are good for their ages, but the rest are in their prime.
I don't think it's a controversial opinion either at this point. Lewandowski, Neymar and Mbappe you could all say are better than the big two at this point.

A-man

He's better than both Messi and Ronaldo at this point. I agree with your broader point.
Should note however that Lewandowski is the only player in the five big leagues who has scored more goals than Messi and Ronaldo this season. They are not totally worthless.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
That is literally my point.
This is a terrible take, Neymar's role is far closer to Messi's than Ronaldo's. He's far more creative and almost play as a midfielder, scoring goals is only the tip of the Iceberg, he's a huge playmaker and one of the best passer in the world.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Quality wise he is absolutely one of the best, even if his availability due to injuries and red cards is not so good atm.
His game yesterday, I don't agree at all., but that could of course be a question of how we define quality. An attacking player in a team that score no goals might have been ok/good but not a top quality performance imo. Its like a CB who had a great game, apart from two mistakes that cost two goals.

OK, understand. I meant impact over time, not just one single game in the CL.
I think there are nuances to that. Of course missing multiple easy chances affects the performance negatively. But Neymar hit the post three times, that's bad luck not bad finishing. He had maybe one bad finish all game, the remaining ones were pretty difficult. You counted for example the square pass by Di Maria as a chance for Neymar but realistically he had no chance whatsoever to get at the end of said pass.

Moonwalker

He had one moment all game where you could say that he created something out of nothing, and that was when he hit the bar. Every other involvement of importance that I can remember, was him being on the end of chances that were created for him. All of those chances he missed. You can come up with excuses for why he missed, but even if all those excuses were valid, that would not mean he can suddenly take credit for the chances he missed. If he had a bit more presence of mind he could have scored both the Di Maria cutback and the early chance when the ball ping-ponged between two Bayern defenders.

Best PSG player he might be, but he certainly didn't show it last night.

As for the suggestion that his off field life is coloring perception, I'd have to admit I'm a complete philistine when it comes to knowledge about his off field behavior; don't know the first thing about it. It's his on field antics that make him dislikable enough, whatever else he might do in spare time.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
He had one moment all game where you could say that he created something out of nothing, and that was when he hit the bar. Every other involvement of importance that I can remember, was him being on the end of chances that were created for him. All of those chances he missed. You can come up with excuses for why he missed, but even if all those excuses were valid, that would not mean he can suddenly take credit for the chances he missed. If he had a bit more presence of mind he could have scored both the Di Maria cutback and the early chance when the ball ping-ponged between two Bayern defenders.

As for the suggestion that his off field life is coloring perception, I'd have to admit I'm a complete philistine when it comes to knowledge about his off field behavior; don't know the first thing about it. It's his on field antics that make him dislikable enough, whatever else he might do in spare time.
Seriously, have you watched the whole game? Because this is factually wrong.

gibers

Once he gets his sharpness back and his finishing improves, he will be the closest player to prime Messi.

RooneyLegend

Right so you've gone from Messi can't do anything in big games to Messi can't do everything in all games.

Either way, he also scored a penalty that he helped win in the first leg and set up a couple of chances.

Messi is the only player where he can score in both legs, including a wonder goal and people will come out and say he didn't perform :lol:

Anyway I don't want to derail the thread further
I saw him taking a Sunday stroll while Mbappe was ending the tie. What good is a wonder goal when you're down 5-1? mind you he backed it up with a penalty miss. Forget performances which have been less than ideal, how do his stats look in the biggest games this season? a classico recently passed him by. We're used to it these days, he just isn't making the difference.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.

He was literally the Man of the Match?!?!

What game were you watching?

Moonwalker

He was literally the Man of the Match?!?!

What game were you watching?
I'm constantly flummoxed by how different people's accounts of a game can be. He wasn't even the best PSG player on the night, in a game they've lost, having not scored a single goal.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
What part of it is factually wrong? Waste not a moment, bring out the facts.
Two out the three times he hit the woodwork, he created the shot opportunity for himself. Both goals would've been goal of the season contenders. He also set up one big chance for Mbappe early in the first half.

In the second half, he beat Müller at the half way line, nutmegged Kimmich with the next touch, carried the ball to the box drawing two defenders at him, then nutmegged Süle, too, with a pass to Mbappe who then crossed to Di Maria. Di Maria squared it back to Neymar nutmegging Neuer but he was inches away from getting at the end of it. In the end phase of the game, send Mbappe on a run behind the last line three times. One time it was an offside goal, one time Mbappe messed up and one time he passed it back to Neymar but Neuer intercepted narrowly. And he also send Kean on a similar run around that time.

Those are three chances he created from himself with unreal sequences of play and three or four big chnces he set up for others with great passes.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
Bar his finishing he was unreal. The control the dribbling awareness was fantastic. Deserved a goal.

90 + 5min

Brazilian JayJay Okocha.

Kidding aside. He will never be up there with Messi and Ronaldo. He has lost to much time playing in one - league team. Good player but there are lot of good players out there in various leagues. I also wonder if he have the same drive or mentality as Ronaldo and Messi to become best in the world. I doubt it.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
I'm constantly flummoxed by how different people's accounts of a game can be. He wasn't even the best PSG player on the night, in a game they've lost, having not scored a single goal.
You can play exceptionally well without scoring. That’s pretty standard in football. Well it used to be, before everyone became obsessed with goals and goal stats and dismissed every single other aspect of play as unimportant.

fck

Supports
Bayern
You can play exceptionally well without scoring. That’s pretty standard in football. Well it used to be, before everyone became obsessed with goals and goal stats and dismissed every single other aspect of play as unimportant.
correct.
You can also score a goal and still have a sh*t game. I mean it's sad that this even needs to be pointed out because it's pretty obvious.

Moonwalker

Two out the three times he hit the woodwork, he created the shot opportunity for himself. Both goals would've been goal of the season contenders. He also set up one big chance for Mbappe early in the first half.

In the second half, he beat Müller at the half way line, nutmegged Kimmich with the next touch, carried the ball to the box drawing two defenders at him, then nutmegged Süle, too, with a pass to Mbappe who then crossed to Di Maria. Di Maria squared it back to Neymar nutmegging Neuer but he was inches away from getting at the end of it. In the end phase of the game, send Mbappe on a run behind the last line three times. One time it was an offside goal, one time Mbappe messed up and one time he passed it back to Neymar but Neuer intercepted narrowly. And he also send Kean on a similar run around that time.

Those are three chances he created from himself with unreal sequences of play and three or four big chnces he set up for others with great passes.
I've forgotten about that one other time he hit the post, which he did create himself. Hitting the bar I have already mentioned. That's two. The second time he hit the post was laid down for him by Mbappe, as was the chance in the 9th minute that I've already mentioned, as was the one on one with Neuer (27th minute) which he fluffed. Then he was late to a great cutback by Di Maria towards the end of the game and that's it. That's all she wrote. I count six good chances there, only two of which he fashioned for himself, and the rest was him fluffing chances someone else created.

The rest of your post is trying to sell prosaic moments that are hardly worth a mention as important. The chance he almost had, but the keeper intercepted it. The pass he almost made, but it was offside, the cutback he almost reached, but he was 'inches away from it'. Then he also sent someone on a run.

It really wasn't a great performance by any stretch of the imagination.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
I've forgotten about that one other time he hit the post, which he did create himself. Hitting the bar I have already mentioned. That's two. The second time he hit the post was laid down for him by Mbappe, as was the chance in the 9th minute that I've already mentioned, as was the one on one with Neuer (27th minute) which he fluffed. Then he was late to a great cutback by Di Maria towards the end of the game and that's it. That's all she wrote. I count six good chances there, only two of which he fashioned for himself, and the rest was him fluffing chances someone else created.

The rest of your post is trying to sell prosaic moments that are hardly worth a mention as important. The chance he almost had, but the keeper intercepted it. The pass he almost made, but it was offside, the cutback he almost reached, but he was 'inches away from it'. Then he also sent someone on a run.

I don’t think you actually like football

If you don’t think this is a great performance then I think you need to choose another sport to get into.

CF Comps (@CF_Comps) Tweeted: Neymar vs. Bayern Munich

https://t.co/a4jiIRnacU

Ladron de redcafe

Brazilian JayJay Okocha.

Kidding aside. He will never be up there with Messi and Ronaldo. He has lost to much time playing in one - league team. Good player but there are lot of good players out there in various leagues. I also wonder if he have the same drive or mentality as Ronaldo and Messi to become best in the world. I doubt it.
In terms of overall legacy, you're right. But he is arguably the best player on the planet at this moment in time. I would say top 3 at worst but you'll see plenty of people in this thread who will argue that Neymar, when fit and on form, is the best in the world already.

Moonwalker

If you don’t think this is a great performance then I think you need to choose another sport to get into.

Sport is fine. Some people you get into a conversation about it though are cretins, as you've just reminded me and I keep forgetting.

MalcolmTucker

What am I reading? :houllier:

It was a great performance with some bad finishing

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
Sport is fine. Some people you get into a conversation about it though are cretins, as you've just reminded me and I keep forgetting.
It’s ok to be wrong. Just leave the insults aside, it’s not very edifying on your part.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen

That's simply not true. You said it was a great cutback by Di Maria but the whole sequence of play only came to be because Neymar took four opponent players out of the game dribbling from the halfway line to the box. If that doesn't count as creating a chance for himself then nobody has ever created a chance for himself in the history of football.

I mean, I can even show you the events:

Through ball for Mbappe chance (0:53)
Missed "chance" after deflected cutback (1:58)
Missed chance in 1 on 1 against Neuer (3:27)
First post after step overs (4:05)
Crossbar after dribbling Coman (4:20)
Second post after initiating the attack by outplaying three players (4:40)
Missed chance after high through ball (5:33)
Missed Di Maria cutback after initiating the attack by outplaying 5 (!) players (5:55)
Setting up Kean run (7:25)
Setting up Mbappe offside goal (7:36)
Setting up Mbappe run (7:48)
Setting up Mbappe run who cuts it back but Neuer intercepts (8:10)

Those are four chances he created for himself and three he created for others. You're in the wrong mate.

90 + 5min

In terms of overall legacy, you're right. But he is arguably the best player on the planet at this moment in time. I would say top 3 at worst but you'll see plenty of people in this thread who will argue that Neymar, when fit and on form, is the best in the world already.
I have to disagree. I don't think he is. He is good player, but there are good players in lot of places. He might be "fun" to watch but is being fun how when consider someone being best player? Why would he be better player then lets say Kane or deBruyne? Messi or Lewandowski? Salah or Ronaldo? And so on.

When he is fit and on form he can be devestating in certain games. But you could say that with pretty much lot of players at high level.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Hernadez blocked the pass through to Mbappe with excellent positional defending. Neymar was clearly looking for that pass and even his attempted dribble was only to make room for the pass I think. That’s all.
A player of Neymar's talent can easily make the pass, he just wanted to get his goal after all of his misses. Hernandez didn't block the passing lane to Mbappe if you watch the replay. Water under the bridge though, all that matters is Bayern is out and PSG go through. I think given Neymar's serious lack of match fitness, he did very well, but a mistake like that would have been extremely costly had Bayern scored a second.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Brazilian JayJay Okocha.

His problem is/was injuries, not playing in France. Neymar has been in Paris for the same amount of years as he was at Barca but the minutes at Barcelona are around 15,000~ whilst at PSG he’s down at 9,000~.

A-man

I think there are nuances to that. Of course missing multiple easy chances affects the performance negatively. But Neymar hit the post three times, that's bad luck not bad finishing. He had maybe one bad finish all game, the remaining ones were pretty difficult. You counted for example the square pass by Di Maria as a chance for Neymar but realistically he had no chance whatsoever to get at the end of said pass.

Also about PSG with Neymar has not lost any play offs games except the final. They are not useless without him. They beat Barca away 1-4 without him. It’s just that he’s been unavailable a lot.
The shot in the bar was a fantastic move that he created out of nothing. With some luck it’s a goal, with some poor luck it’s not. But he also hit the post when he easily should have scored. He has a history of missing chances in the CL playoffs. This is well known.
He did a lot of great things but still an offensive player who loses a game by 1-0... There are other players who don’t participate at all but then score 3 goals in a match with so many opportunities.
This obsession of goals is not something new. That’s how matches have been won since the 19th century. I have enjoyed a lot of players for their amazing entertainment value (Neymar, Zlatan, Ronaldinho, Marcelo), but when I watch my own team play I prefer goals and victories over nice football art. I want the technical skills of attacking players to transfer in to goals. But we all have different reasons why we watch football and different passions, can’t say anything is right or wrong.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
but when I watch my own team play I prefer goals and victories over nice football art
Goals do not come out of thin air. The art of creating a goal involves the work of multiple creative players before the final touch ends up in the back of the net. A player like Neymar significantly increases the goal output of PSG even if he is not the one who has the final touch before the ball flies in the back of the net.

Neymar for PSG is a significantly better player than Ronaldo for Juventus, even if the latter has scored more goals for his club.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
And again — Neymar’s stats are still very, very good. He’s not quite peak Messi/Ronaldo freak levels, but he’s consistently fantastic wherever he goes.
But the mental thing is he passes the stat test as well as the aesthetics one. He’s one of the few players who truly does both.

35 goals and 24 assists in 59 CL appearances.
61 goals and 41 assists in 101 appearances for the Brazilian NT.

70 goals and 41 assists in 84 appearances for PSG.
105 goals and 77 assists in 186 appearances for Barcelona.

Even 70 goals and 35 assists in 135 games for Santos FC.

No matter where he goes, no matter the competition, he gets goals and assists. And it’s never at the cost of overall performance in a way some players lessen certain parts of their overall play to streamline their G/A’s.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
I have to disagree. I don't think he is. He is good player, but there are good players in lot of places. He might be "fun" to watch but is being fun how when consider someone being best player? Why would he be better player then lets say Kane or deBruyne? Messi or Lewandowski? Salah or Ronaldo? And so on.

When he is fit and on form he can be devestating in certain games. But you could say that with pretty much lot of players at high level.
Neymar is a far more versatile players than most you mention. He's an amazing passer, can dribble an entire team and is a good finisher (bar last night). His football IQ is also very high and he sees things most players don't on the pitch even at the highest level. Salah and '21 Ronaldo are just not even remotely in the conversation.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
Goals do not come out of thin air. The art of creating a goal involves the work of multiple creative players before the final touch ends up in the back of the net. A player like Neymar significantly increases the goal output of PSG even if he is not the one who has the final touch before the ball flies in the back of the net.

Neymar for PSG is a significantly better player than Ronaldo for Juventus, even if the latter has scored more goals for his club.
I mean this seems like elementary stuff to me (articulately put, nevertheless), but it’s baffling how so many people in this thread don’t seem to understand it. Very troubling.......

I’m gonna leave alone the comparison bit because I don’t want to go there, haha. Peeps get awfully sensitive.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
A player of Neymar's talent can easily make the pass, he just wanted to get his goal after all of his misses. Hernandez didn't block the passing lane to Mbappe if you watch the replay. Water under the bridge though, all that matters is Bayern is out and PSG go through. I think given Neymar's serious lack of match fitness, he did very well, but a mistake like that would have been extremely costly had Bayern scored a second.
I honestly don’t think Neymar was thinking about going for goal. I’m not his biggest fan but I think that was more an instance of a split second decision gone wrong. The pass may have been on but it would certainly not have been an easy pass. You could argue he should have gone for it anyway but that’s hindsight. If he skipped round Hernadez and squared it across to Mbappe he would have been hailed a wizard, fine margins. The worst thing he did was miss that chance that hit the post, that was a glorious opportunity and a poor first touch let him down.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City

Still a 0-1 loss at home, with him missing a hatful of chances.

Good player, but we're supposed to accept him as the best player in the world now that Messi and Ronaldo are past their primes?

Bayern were chasing the game and needed two goals. It was a given that him, Di Maria and Mbappe would have spaces to operate in to show their class. They didn't even score one goal.

I thought it was a poor game to be honest. By both teams. PSG for wasting their chances, Bayern for not being incisive enough.

paraguayo

Supports
neutral

Salah better than Neymar? Ok..:rolleyes:

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
The shot in the bar was a fantastic move that he created out of nothing. With some luck it’s a goal, with some poor luck it’s not. But he also hit the post when he easily should have scored. He has a history of missing chances in the CL playoffs. This is well known.
He did a lot of great things but still an offensive player who loses a game by 1-0... There are other players who don’t participate at all but then score 3 goals in a match with so many opportunities.

This obsession of goals is not something new. That’s how matches have been won since the 19th century. I have enjoyed a lot of players for their amazing entertainment value (Neymar, Zlatan, Ronaldinho, Marcelo), but when I watch my own team play I prefer goals and victories over nice football art. I want the technical skills of attacking players to transfer in to goals. But we all have different reasons why we watch football and different passions, can’t say anything is right or wrong.
Yes, if you only look at the last touch before the ball passes the line, that's a valid way of looking at things. Following that logic the mailman who's delivering my Amazon orders has to be a great retailer, producer and product designer ;)

Ladron de redcafe

Do you actually believe that Kane and Salah are better than Neymar? I don't think they're even within 2 tiers of him. I personally believe there's an enormous gap between someone like him and those two.

It has nothing to do with being "fun" to watch. I struggle to see what argument current Ronaldo has over Neymar.