The natural successor: Has Neymar blown it?

RUCK4444

Why would you say no disrespect, just to throw insults afterward? Assume your opinion.

Personally, I don't like the concentration of talents that we see today, I think that it's the death of football outside of a super league because the top teams in all leagues are far richer than the rest and have far superior teams in quality and depth. There is no more merits to play for Barcelona in a team that is head and shoulders above the rest of the competition in their league, there is no particular merit to join the current version of Liverpool or the record breaking version of City, or Bayern or Juventus. Your achievements" would be as hollow as if you joined PSG, they don't need you to dominate, they have been doing it without you. So the likes of Kane, Griezmann or the players that will join them in the future would in my opinion be better served to stay in their "smaller" clubs and build their legacy in those clubs, that to me has more value, than the logic that every top player should play in a top club, I want to see top players propel clubs to the top, I want to see smaller clubs elevate the level of a league, I don't want to see the rich inexorably get richer and the poor poorer.
Yeah I was joking but you prompted me to be a little more honest in how I feel about it.

I can see your point but when these lads retire they want to be looking at a trophy haul not just a good name with their club. Plus it’s very rare to see one club players nowadays, soon they will be a thing of the past.

I appreciate the league needs to keep its top talents so it needs PSG to do well and keep acquiring these players but ironically it also makes the league even less appealing to see one team dominate so easily.

Really the league needs a few more mega rich owners because right now it’s purely money that brings players the league 1.
There is no shame in that though, a lot of players in the PL I’m sure come for money first, but they also benefit from a credible career.

Take Thiago Silva for instance, he’s been good enough to pretty much take his pick of top teams in Europe. Imagine he had gone to say Bayern Munich instead of PSG, he would have been seen as a club legend by now and have a couple of CL titles under his belt no doubt.

His only allegiance to PSG is monetary and he’s turned down this alternative career path for it, that’s what I don’t like.

It’s like having a Racehorse and pitting it against donkeys rather than seeing what the horse was really capable of.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
The difference is that in other leagues. E.g Spain and England you will get 3/4 teams challenging. In France as you say there is one team that is far richer than every other club. This is not the case in England and Spain because the top team in England is not richer than the 5th team in England.

Atheltico are quite rich too, if you look at the transfer fee and wages.

So there is a merit playing for Barca as they arent heads and shoulders above the teams, have a look at the league table. In England, you say there is no merit in joining a team based on one season, the next season after is still a challenge. City went from record breakers to 20 points of Liverpool. This shows the level of competition in these countries is alot higher.

PSG are winning leagues by being 10-20 points clear season in season out, that is not happening in Spain and England. There are different teams competing for the title.
Your points are exaggerated clichés which from what I gather comes from that one season in 2015-2016, otherwise Ligue 1 is in the norm among the top 5 leagues while the PL is the most competitive league when it comes to title. The league as a whole isn't more competitive than the others including Ligue 1. Here you have an analysis.

Last edited:

romufc

Your points are exaggerated clichés which from what I gather comes from that one season in 2015-2016, otherwise Ligue 1 is in the norm among the top 5 leagues while the PL is the most competitive league when it comes to title the league as a whole isn't more competitive than the others including Ligue 1. Here you have an analysis.
Yes, that is all well and good but we are talking about PSG and since their emergence how many different champions have there been?

If the league is competitive, why are we not seing French teams going further in Europe, not just CL but EL as well?

Even the Saudi league and Australian leagues have had different winners, they are competitive within their own leagues.

PSG hardly have to go out of third gear until it comes to CL.

I am unsure how you are trying to argue that the French league quality is comparable to Spain and England.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Yes, that is all well and good but we are talking about PSG and since their emergence how many different champions have there been?

If the league is competitive, why are we not seing French teams going further in Europe, not just CL but EL as well?

Even the Saudi league and Australian leagues have had different winners, they are competitive within their own leagues.

PSG hardly have to go out of third gear until it comes to CL.

I am unsure how you are trying to argue that the French league quality is comparable to Spain and England.
Since their emergence there have been three champions Montpellier, PSG and Monaco. Which is more than Serie A or Bundesliga and as much as La Liga.

Canagel

ridiculously talented :drool:
Truly one of a kind and one of the last, elegant skilful player who plays football like on the streets, like its supposed to .

Don't care about what some arrogant Premier league/La Liga fans have to say about his (as if he wouldn't be destroying their leagues also) ,when it comes to combining skill with end product there is quite simply none better in the game today

SilentStrike

Supports
Feyenoord
Neymar still plays at an incredible level, but marketing wise he blew it. To be widely considered as the best of your generation for some reason it seems you need the Real Madrid/Barcelona marketing machines backing you.

It's unfair, not only to Neymar but also to players like De Bruyne or Lewandowski, but it's the way it is it seems.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Neymar still plays at an incredible level, but marketing wise he blew it. To be widely considered as the best of your generation for some reason it seems you need the Real Madrid/Barcelona marketing machines backing you.

It's unfair, not only to Neymar but also to players like De Bruyne or Lewandowski, but it's the way it is it seems.
Then Hazard will be considered the best of his generation soon since he made the move Neymar, De Bruyne and Lewandowski failed to?

Neymar's problem isn't marketing or the media stories. His problem is that he spends almost half of the season injured every year and PSG don't make it far in Europe. Similar for De Bruyne and Lewandowski who have both missed key european games through injury, haven't been consistent enough in those games and their teams haven't been to the final.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Then Hazard will be considered the best of his generation soon since he made the move Neymar, De Bruyne and Lewandowski failed to?

Neymar's problem isn't marketing or the media stories. His problem is that he spends almost half of the season injured every year and PSG don't make it far in Europe. Similar for De Bruyne and Lewandowski who have both missed key european games through injury, haven't been consistent enough in those games and their teams haven't been to the final.
Lewandowski has missed “key european games“?

SilentStrike

Supports
Feyenoord
In case he were successful, then the hype would have been on his side, yes.

My comment isn't as weird as you seem to think it is. Had De Bruyne or Lewandowski played for one of the Spanish giants and put in the same incredible level of performances they have been putting in, they would definitely be in the discussion for ballon d'Or. In January Lewandowski wasn't even nominated for FIFA the best, and got 7th place in the Ballon d'Or. Quite ridiculous really.

The reason simply is that playing for the Spanish teams gives you so much more global exposure, as they have become the most popular and wellknown teams worldwide.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
He left to find his own rivalry and ended up accompanied by Mbappé.
If Olympique de Marseille,for example, were mega-rich, with Cris, Mbappé, Sancho, etc. and they could compete for the title week after week, surely playing in a slightly smaller league would not matter so much.
He is still the most entertaining player but he lost too much because of that injury.
Now it seems that he wants to return to what he left: to join Messi in his farewell and supposedly take over the team in the future. All this while still denouncing Barcelona.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
In case he were successful, then the hype would have been on his side, yes.

My comment isn't as weird as you seem to think it is. Had De Bruyne or Lewandowski played for one of the Spanish giants and put in the same incredible level of performances they have been putting in, they would definitely be in the discussion for ballon d'Or. In January Lewandowski wasn't even nominated for FIFA the best, and got 7th place in the Ballon d'Or. Quite ridiculous really.

The reason simply is that playing for the Spanish teams gives you so much more global exposure, as they have become the most popular and wellknown teams worldwide.
Players there get more exposure because those teams won a bunch and they had lots of great performances in the biggest stages, not because of a media conspiracy to favour them.

They’re the most popular teams because they had the best players. Not the other way around.

Lewandowski’s problem has been disappearing too often in the european big games. This season he was looking fantastic in Europe and put in a great performance against Chelsea which has seen him get more recognition already and he would for sure get a higher ranking in the individual awards compared to last year where he did very little.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I remember few years back Neymar was unquestionably top 3 player in the world, with some even suggest he was already better than Ronaldo (which is of course a joke now)

Yes Neymar has kind of blown it ever since he move to PSG, the injuries, and all the playing acting/diving in WC. No one will think he is a top 3 now. But I think he is still a very good player, maybe still easily among top 10.

Righteous Steps

At this point in time there is no doubt he is better than Ronaldo and probably the 2’nd best player in the world.

Righteous Steps

I remember few years back Neymar was unquestionably top 3 player in the world, with some even suggest he was already better than Ronaldo (which is of course a joke now)

Yes Neymar has kind of blown it ever since he move to PSG, the injuries, and all the playing acting/diving in WC. No one will think he is a top 3 now. But I think he is still a very good player, maybe still easily among top 10.
It’s a joke to think Current Ronaldo is better actually.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
I guess not now that I checked... thought he had missed more but it was just against Madrid in 2017
I had to check myself. :wenger:
Lewandowski is (almost) indestructible. He is a cyborg.

SilentStrike

Supports
Feyenoord
Players there get more exposure because those teams won a bunch and they had lots of great performances in the biggest stages, not because of a media conspiracy to favour them.

They’re the most popular teams because they had the best players. Not the other way around.

Lewandowski’s problem has been disappearing too often in the european big games. This season he was looking fantastic in Europe and put in a great performance against Chelsea which has seen him get more recognition already and he would for sure get a higher ranking in the individual awards compared to last year where he did very little.
Don't call what I said a media conspiracy. What I explained is nothing like a consiracy, just a simply cause -> effect. With captains (parttime footballers) of all the tiny pacific nation islands voting you essentially get a popularity vote, which favours the teams with most exposure which are Real and Barca.

And what you write is not true and you know it. Performance is only partially what the individual prizes are based on.

I take a look back at 2012, where despite no Spanish teams being in the CL final, ALL players from world XI were from Barca and Real. Not even Cech with his heroics against Bayern was elected. It was of course Casillas who was pretty shit that season, but played for Real.

Or 2013 where even Barca had more players in the world XI team than the Bayern team that smashed them 7-0.

You're being quite naive really to think that awards that are decided based on non-fixed requirements, are actually delivered without bias.

RooneyLegend

Best player in the world imo sadly seems to miss out on all the important moments in his career. Which is strange because i cant remember him being injured before 2014. Needs to stop amtagonising opposition players so they dont kick him about.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
You can't even stick a broomstick up someone's ass these days without being put in jail.

Lyricist

Regarding the marketing: I think aside of very few people watching Ligue 1, one of his main problems is still, that he appears so incredibly unlikeable. From the way Brazil formed a religious cult around him in their home world cup, to his diving and general antics on the pitch, to his off the pitch stories and scandals. There's just so much about Neymar, that will make the average viewer cringe every time they hear about him or see him on the pitch. Basically whenever he's not pulling off some miracle moves to justify the hype, people are just hoping he'll embarass himself in some form. Now I don't want to judge whether or not that's his own fault, but I generally think the amount of hate he gets is contributing to the general lack of interest in his performances.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Who would you say are the three most hated/criticised players in the PL in the past few years? Pogba, Ozil, and ? Sterling maybe?

If you combine the criticism, vitriol, and double standards all of them have suffered and put that into one, you’ll pretty much end up with the treatment Neymar gets.

United58

Who would you say are the three most hated/criticised players in the PL in the past few years? Pogba, Ozil, and ? Sterling maybe?

If you combine the criticism, vitriol, and double standards all of them have suffered and put that into one, you’ll pretty much end up with the treatment Neymar gets.
What? I've only ever seen Sterling lauded. Ozil's criticized, not hated. Pogba certainly gets both barrels. Lingard would be a good shout too, most of the hatred comes from his own fans though.

Beaucoup

What? I've only ever seen Sterling lauded. Ozil's criticized, not hated. Pogba certainly gets both barrels. Lingard would be a good shout too, most of the hatred comes from his own fans though.
I know plenty of City fans who think Sterling is shite.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I did say last few years. It’s changed a lot now, but Sterling’s media criticism was totally irrational for some time. He literally had to call it out himself for it to calm down a bit.

United58

I know plenty of City fans who think Sterling is shite.
Really? Wow. Is he an Ibrahimovic-type player for them - putting up great numbers while actually being wasteful at times? He does tend to blow hot and cold.

I did say last few years. It’s changed a lot now, but Sterling’s media criticism was totally irrational for some time. He literally had to call it out himself for it to calm down a bit.
I just remember years of Football365 fawning over him - they stuck to their narratives with blinding narrow-mindedness, one of the many reasons I stopped visiting (another being their writing going to utter shite :lol:)

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
People who don't rate Neymar either don't watch him regularly or just don't know football. Simple.

Yes he has it easy in France and PSG rarely get out of 2nd gear but we saw just how good he can be at Barca, and he's not got worse put it that way.

When fully fit and motivated he's top 3 in the world no question.

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
People who don't rate Neymar either don't watch him regularly or just don't know football. Simple.

Yes he has it easy in France and PSG rarely get out of 2nd gear but we saw just how good he can be at Barca, and he's not got worse put it that way.

When fully fit and motivated he's top 3 in the world no question.
Or just hate him for being himself. Neymar gets a haircut he gets criticized, he dribbles get criticised, he is simply a fun loving person but everything he does they find a negative spin to it.

Personally I dont care about footballers off-field life. I don't care if Ronaldo is selfish and only seem to care about himself or if Kante is such a great guy who smiles and never hurt a fly

Its what they do on the field that count for me

Eire Red United

Will never rate him as any better than a crazy talent who didn’t live up to it. Nowhere near the big two and Mbappe, Haaland and hopefully one or two of our lads will overtake him as well.

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
Will never rate him as any better than a crazy talent who didn’t live up to it. Nowhere near the big two and Mbappe, Haaland and hopefully one or two of our lads will overtake him as well.
He is top 3 all-time scorer for Brazil, he is top 10 scorer in the CL (for someone who came to Europe 6yrs ago) and not a central striker

TsuWave

Will never rate him as any better than a crazy talent who didn’t live up to it.
He’s one of the most decorated players around, plus holds a bunch of records for Brazilians playing in Europe. How has he not lived up to it?

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
This post right here, officer.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Still comfortably one of the most uniquely gifted players in the world.