The natural successor: Has Neymar blown it?

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
The gap is huge... come on dude.

Ronaldinho did not have anything like the same talent around him that Messi has had.
It’s v difficult to compare players - Ronaldinho, for a start was a proper no 10 if anything an attacking midfielder ... then we have rivaldo who was sensational. Neither had Busquets, xavi, Iniesta, or anything like the strikers that have partnered up in the 11 alongside the Messi

Messi is able to do many things and what has allowed him to stand out is his ability to create play as well as get on the end of it With pace as well as beating a man but not just through skill but pace

Maradona took the ball from the goal keeper and it ended up in the net - with average players around him

you compare - but you don’t bring up many other players - best - who drank 10 pints and shagged miss world on the way to old Trafford

Messi is an athlete who learned how to dance aged 4 and has been fed god knows what on his way to becoming an uninjured player season after season

brilliant yes - but comparable to the natural great talents of the past - tough to say

very tough to say - and that’s putting it politely

by the way RonaldoS - top players but simply out and out strikers not on the same level as footballers as any of the above - anyone who says Cristiano is even on the same level as Messi doesn’t know football

that does not mean Messi is as gifted or better than maradona or best or Ronaldinho or rivaldo Or a few others. He just has just been more effective given his team mates. The proof is
His record with Argentina.

maradona pissed on the planet - twice -
Proper one man team
Best was pissed all the time and pissed on everyone - personality - no substitute mate
Maradonna only has 2 european cup goals and a rather limited club trophy cabinet for a goat because he was too unprofessional to play for the biggest clubs(like Barcelona where they had to sell him because he picked fights with everyone and finished his last match with a brawl).

Also Maradonna didn't score goals like his goal of the century all the time. Players often become more mythical after they have retired. Not disputing Maradonna's greatness but players lack of professionalism and discpline isn't in favour of their greatness.

yan man utd

Maradonna only has 2 european cup goals and a rather limited club trophy cabinet for a goat because he was too unprofessional to play for the biggest clubs(like Barcelona where they had to sell him because he picked fights with everyone and finished his last match with a brawl).

Also Maradonna didn't score goals like his goal of the century all the time. Players often become more mythical after they have retired. Not disputing Maradonna's greatness but players lack of professionalism and discpline isn't in favour of their greatness.
Interesting point bro but a couple of other things need to be pointed out
First Maradona was not afforded the same quality of teammates either at club or international level
Now surely you would agree that the World Cup is the highest stage and Maradona dominated world cups
And im not sure what professional has to do with natural ability - he was blessed enough to be able to do what he did through pure natural ability. He was basically a one man team with Barca, Napoli and Argentina - simple as that
(In my opinion!)

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir

“The only regret I have is for not being in the face of this asshole”

:nervous:

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
The accusation is that the opponent called him a monkey, correct?

lsd

The Oracle
Hmmm not sure but something makes me think this is rubbish.

Yeah I'm not buying it . If it was a racial comment and he was that upset about ut he would have punched him properly and not the cowardly tap behind his back on the back of his head .

Then again Neymar is prone to being sneaky and childish so that may well be how he reacts when really provoked

snowkarl

Yeah apparently it’s caught on camera and neymar goes over the fourth official to complain about it ( saw the video on twitter)
Honestly irrelevant in regards to his suspension.

Can't hit someone because they said something mean to you.

Not to mention Neymar and Alvaro were going back and forth all game long. And... Di Maria spit at him! Like Jeesus.

lsd

The Oracle

“The only regret I have is for not being in the face of this asshole”

:nervous:

Its not like he couldn't have done that instead of that pathetic back tap . It is unreal that even in the event that he was racially abused if proven , i still despise him for reacting in such a cowardly way instead of just knocking the guy out .

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Yeah apparently it’s caught on camera and neymar goes over the fourth official to complain about it ( saw the video on twitter)
Is calling someone a monkey a „normal“ slur in French? In German it would be, but if the recipient is not white the connotation obviously changes.

Grande

You really shouldn’t express such self assured opinions about things you know so little about, and probably not try to pass off ‘truths’ about players many people watched countless times and whose name you cannot even spell.

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
I know some will still find a way to blame Neymar for this

RashyForPM

The solution is simple: if Neymar was racially abused, a season ban* for the Marseille defender and a million euro fine with Neymar’s red card rescinded. Otherwise, Neymar’s a twat and a coward with that frankly useless reaction which was detrimental solely to himself.

*Yes, a season. Racism must be kicked out from our game right now.

lsd

The Oracle
The solution is simple: if Neymar was racially abused, a season ban* for the Marseille defender and a million euro fine with Neymar’s red card rescinded. Otherwise, Neymar’s a twat and a coward with that frankly useless reaction which was detrimental solely to himself.

If it was racism then i think it should be life

Mr.Ridiculous__

The name says it all
The gap is huge... come on dude.

Ronaldinho did not have anything like the same talent around him that Messi has had.
It’s v difficult to compare players - Ronaldinho, for a start was a proper no 10 if anything an attacking midfielder ... then we have rivaldo who was sensational. Neither had Busquets, xavi, Iniesta, or anything like the strikers that have partnered up in the 11 alongside the Messi

Messi is able to do many things and what has allowed him to stand out is his ability to create play as well as get on the end of it With pace as well as beating a man but not just through skill but pace

Maradona took the ball from the goal keeper and it ended up in the net - with average players around him

you compare - but you don’t bring up many other players - best - who drank 10 pints and shagged miss world on the way to old Trafford

Messi is an athlete who learned how to dance aged 4 and has been fed god knows what on his way to becoming an uninjured player season after season

brilliant yes - but comparable to the natural great talents of the past - tough to say

very tough to say - and that’s putting it politely

by the way RonaldoS - top players but simply out and out strikers not on the same level as footballers as any of the above - anyone who says Cristiano is even on the same level as Messi doesn’t know football

that does not mean Messi is as gifted or better than maradona or best or Ronaldinho or rivaldo Or a few others. He just has just been more effective given his team mates. The proof is
His record with Argentina.

maradona pissed on the planet - twice -
Proper one man team
Best was pissed all the time and pissed on everyone - personality - no substitute mate
Poor outdated opinion.

Maureen-yo

Is calling someone a monkey a „normal“ slur in French? In German it would be, but if the recipient is not white the connotation obviously changes.
I’m not sure, I call my son a, “little monkey” all the time but I’m pretty sure if I said, “shut The monkey up” to my Ghanaian friend, I’d be punched.

Maureen-yo

Honestly irrelevant in regards to his suspension.

Can't hit someone because they said something mean to you.

Not to mention Neymar and Alvaro were going back and forth all game long. And... Di Maria spit at him! Like Jeesus.
I disagree and if it is proven that he was being racist throughout even after the officials were made aware and Neymar was reacting to that, then I think the ban will be rescinded.
Also, I’m not sure what ADM spitting at Alvaro has to do with Alvaro directing racist remarks at Neymar.

AbusementPark

Operates the Unfairest Wheel
Agree gonzalez to be banned for the rest of the season, without wages. Neymar having his red card rescinded is not an option, why strike the player at all, deal with the matter in a professional manner.

One thing I would add though, PSG are a hard team to like and this has cemented that view further. Not the racism, just the way the team conducts themselves.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
If it was racism then i think it should be life
Unless you’ve killed someone, the punishment should be focused on re-education – what’s the point in a life-long ban if all you’ll get from that is an angry life-long racist who feels (weirdly enough, justifiably) like he was done wrong?

A long ban (if he had said that) should be enough for him to think about it and, hopefully, reevaluate his stance on the matter.

Sylar

Is this the equivalent of, I cant be racist, I have black friends, heres proof...

snowkarl

I disagree and if it is proven that he was being racist throughout even after the officials were made aware and Neymar was reacting to that, then I think the ban will be rescinded.
Also, I’m not sure what ADM spitting at Alvaro has to do with Alvaro directing racist remarks at Neymar.
You're not allowed to punch someone even if they are racist. That's not how it works.

Especially not an hour later when he isn't looking.

Pavl3n

This whole racism is somewhat funny to me.
White guy calls a white guy monkey - it's an insult, but not a racial one. It's more of an insut towards the attitude.
Non white guy calls a non white guy monkey - it's an insult, but not a racial one. It's more of an insut towards the attitude.
Non white guy calls a white guy monkey - it's an insult, but not a racial one. It's more of an insut towards the attitude.

White guy calls a non white guy monkey - Hell has been raised.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
White guy calls a white guy monkey - it's an insult, but not a racial one. It's more of an insut towards the attitude.
Non white guy calls a non white guy monkey - it's an insult, but not a racial one. It's more of an insut towards the attitude.
Non white guy calls a white guy monkey - it's an insult, but not a racial one. It's more of an insut towards the attitude.

It's all about context. Some insults have history if they are directed towards certain people by certain people. And sometimes this history is so dark that there's always the immediate association if they're used in a similar constellation - especially if people use it like that purposefully. Or do you think Alvaro just used "monkey" coincidentally because it's his favourite slur?

mancan92

Yeah imagine context and history matters when calling making fun of someone......... That history and context is literally what makes something racist. So I don't see anything weird or funny about it.

lsd

The Oracle

It is clearly racist . There is no way to describe calling a black person a monkey other than being racist .

RedDevil@84

It is all about the history and the place where you are in. The word monkey has been associated with racist slurs in history, especially in Europe and America and hence people need to be sensitive about it. Where I come from, monkey and donkey is pretty much the same kind of insult, without any racist tag to it.

Pavl3n

It's all about context. Some insults have history if they are directed towards certain people by certain people. And sometimes this history is so dark that there's always the immediate association if they're used in a similar constellation - especially if people use it like that purposefully. Or do you think Alvaro just used "monkey" coincidentally because it's his favourite slur?
Well, who knows? But in today's world, I suppose even if that's the case, you should be very careful what you say to people, who are from a different race than you.
It is all about the history and the place where you are in. The word monkey has been associated with racist slurs in history, especially in Europe and America and hence people need to be sensitive about it. Where I come from, monkey and donkey is pretty much the same kind of insult, without any racist tag to it.
Where I come from is kind of the same. Calling someone monkey is pretty much calling him a varmint (I think that's the most accurate translation of what I try to imply).

Anyhow, I switched off the game 10-15 minutes before it ended, so I didn't see the whole brawl. Nor I want to take anyone's side.
The only conclusion I have is - be very careful what you say to people as everything could be interpeted differently and you could find yourself in trouble for no reason.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
You may have missed, some areas are in lockdown again in the UK with no travelling out of area allowed. Covid gone nowhere here yet
Well, who knows? But in today's world, I suppose even if that's the case, you should be very careful what you say to people, who are from a different race than you.

Where I come from is kind of the same. Calling someone monkey is pretty much calling him a varmint (I think that's the most accurate translation of what I try to imply).

Anyhow, I switched off the game 10-15 minutes before it ended, so I didn't see the whole brawl. Nor I want to take anyone's side.
The only conclusion I have is - be very careful what you say to people as everything could be interpeted differently and you could find yourself in trouble for no reason.
Sorry man, but that's bullshit. If you're not living behind the moon you know fully well wich associations are triggered by calling a black man/woman "monkey". This meaning of the slur in that context has been built up for centuries. No need to pretend you have to watch your mouth when talking to someone who belongs to a different race than yours.

Listening to your reasoning it sounds as if you could accidentally insult black people any minute without knowing. It also implies they're over-sensitive. Neither is the case.

RedDevil@84

If you're not living behind the moon you know fully well wich associations are triggered by calling a black man/woman "monkey".
World is too big a place to make such sweeping statements. Not every country is extremely multi cultured, and exposed to the same number of black people like Europe and Americas.
Other countries have their own set of sensitive words, based on the history and culture there.

Its not so difficult to understand that.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
World is too big a place to make such sweeping statements. Not every country is extremely multi cultured, and exposed to the same number of black people like Europe and Americas.
Other countries have their own set of sensitive words, based on the history and culture there.

Its not so difficult to understand that.
Come on. The user spoke from his perspective and implied that he himself had to be careful with his wordings when speaking to a black person. We were clearly not speaking of a small isolated village somewhere in Siberia or another remote place in the world. And given that he's posting on a football forum and all the reports of obviously racist monkey chants in European football stadiums in the past decade, suggesting he didn't know the meaning of the slur "monkey" in this context is ridiculous. Can't believe I actually have to argue this.

RedDevil@84

Come on. The user spoke from his perspective and implied that he himself had to be careful with his wordings when speaking to a black person. We were clearly not speaking of a small isolated village somewhere in Siberia or another remote place in the world. And given that he's posting on a football forum and all the reports of obviously racist monkey chants in European football stadiums in the past decade, suggesting he didn't know the meaning of the slur "monkey" in this context is ridiculous. Can't believe I actually have to argue this.
I was speaking in general terms. There is so much population in the world that do not view the word "monkey" as a racist thing.
But I agree that a poster posting here would probably know that it is a racist slur.

The two incidents are separate. Of course action should be taken against anyone who uses racist language towards another player.

However, that does not excuse Neymar, you can’t rescind a card in these circumstances. You simply cannot go round punching players, even if provoked, he clearly needs to be punished.