The natural successor: Has Neymar blown it?

city-puma

Neymar is a real clown over two legs of semifinal, especially today. He is a perfect match to psg.

Eternitiy

I loved watching him since he was at Santos, but I think he made a mistake leaving Barcelona so soon. He did as much today as anyone could have for PSG. Manchester City were just too good for them.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Hope the money for the move to PSG was worth it, because from a footballing POV it was a big career mistake.

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )
He has the talent but talent alone does not make a player. He needs to humble himself and stop being so selfish. I don't think it'll be easy for him to change because it's a culture thing too isn't it ?

Brophs

The One and Only
Poor Neymar looked like his sister had just broken up with him.

Classical Mechanic

I remember watching him when we beat them earlier in the season. He did zero defending and was one of the reasons we got in so often. That was under a Tuchel who is a demanding coach. He has too much power at PSG. They’re an awful club so it’s a marriage made in hell.

city-puma

He has the talent but talent alone does not make a player. He needs to humble himself and stop being so selfish. I don't think it'll be easy for him to change because it's a culture thing too isn't it ?
I don’t think psg is wise to tie him down to another long term contract. The last 30 mins today, I watched psg team was split to two, one still wanted to fight and the other, Neymar alone basically gave up, and wasted the time, space, and the teammates’ effort. Why do they want to play such a clown?

Bennz McCarthey17

Supports
Africa
This is the guy who's a better footballer than prime Cristiano, according to the geniuses on this forum. I know it's opinions and we're supposed to respect other people's views, but got damn.

pcaming

United are an embarrassment.
Should never ever have left Barca. He would have won so much and been paid extremely handsomely as Barca seem to not care about finances.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Did he agree to that extension?

Once Mbappe bails, I wonder if he'll follow suit or just be happy collecting loads of $$$.
No serious team would accept his demands of missing crucial games every season just so he can fulfill his desires with his sister.

kingwaynerooney

Supports
United
He has a weak mentality. I've never seen him have a good game. If he's worth 200 million then Andy Cole would of been worth 400 million in today's market.
Neymar has had plently of great games though. He usually used to step it up in big games when I used to see him at barca.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
The most over-hyped and overrated player I've seen in many years. I have yet to see it with him at all.

Thiagoal

I’ve never bought into the Neymar myth. It just makes me laugh how commentators eulogise over him (I think Jenas was at it tonight) yet his performances are usually average at best. Lightweight show pony- I wouldn’t even put him in the top 50 players in the world.

Shiva87

He was so poor today. Tried to run through 3-4 players himself when he had better passing options available. Not having Mbappe in the team made his decision making look gobshite. The run where Icardi was practically free in a good shooting position, but Neymar ran the ball from the left to the right side of the goal would have been so frustrating to watch for any PSG fan.

Poor mentality (but less so than Di Maria :lol: )

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
In fairness, I think Neymar showed effort and tried to make things happen but it just didn't work out against City.

gibers

What was Neymar supposed to do? You can't play hero ball in this day and age. No one to stretch the pitch so he couldn't even pass and dribble. Even Messi has done nothing in the last few years against great teams. Mbappe was sorely missed tonight. Icardi was woeful. PSG's squad building is appalling.

MattofManchester

At Barca he was the real deal. I haven't seen it since he left.
Surely, given what he was brought in for, the signing has been an abysmal failure.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
His fans think it’s all a coincidence.

In 2020 he somehow resisted the temptation but he paid a hefty price for that cardinal sin. Football was stopped on her birthday and he didn't play again until August.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
No serious team would accept his demands of missing crucial games every season just so he can fulfill his desires with his sister.
I just pictured the hotel scene in 'Bad Blood' series where the male twin is rubbing his sister twin's legs as they're on top of his legs. And they later recruit a random stranger to their hotel room and yeah.

marktan

People are being overly harsh, he was basically playing with no team today. The second half PSG couldn't even string 2 passes together. Take out Neymar and Mbappe and there's really nothing in that team.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
He used to be electric, he’s still got great technical abilities but it’s so lethargic now.

Dominos

That performance really was a disgrace. He slowed down every attack by hogging the ball, trying to dribble past 2 or 3 players every time, trying to dribble when completely surrounded, ignoring team mates who were in a good position. It was like he thought he was the only decent player in his team and no one else was capable of doing anything so he may as well do everything himself. It was like watching a kid play an under 12s game who refuses to pass the ball.

Dominos

People are being overly harsh, he was basically playing with no team today. The second half PSG couldn't even string 2 passes together. Take out Neymar and Mbappe and there's really nothing in that team.
He had no team because he refused to pass to them. He gave the ball away every time he got it because he refused to release the ball and play the easy pass to keep the attack going. Countless times his team mates were in decent space and positions to receive the ball and he ignored them in favour of showing off his dribbling and inevitably got tackled.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I loved watching him since he was at Santos, but I think he made a mistake leaving Barcelona so soon. He did as much today as anyone could have for PSG. Manchester City were just too good for them.
Not "so soon", more like "ever". He shouldn't have left them at all, lose-lose for everyone involved except all those who dislike him and Barca.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
The amount of times he vainly held on the ball for too long maybe plays a part in that.

But I kind of agree. He was up against an excellent team while PSG were just some guys put together to pass the ball to Neymar.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
This seems like a great time to revisit the he's a poor man's Robben argument.

Bennz McCarthey17

Supports
Africa
That performance really was a disgrace. He slowed down every attack by hogging the ball, trying to dribble past 2 or 3 players every time, trying to dribble when completely surrounded, ignoring team mates who were in a good position. It was like he thought he was the only decent player in his team and no one else was capable of doing anything so he may as well do everything himself. It was like watching a kid play an under 12s game who refuses to pass the ball.
This and more this.

Like literally in a CL semifinal you're holding on to the ball unecessarily, not even Young Messi and Young Cristiano, or even Dinho held on to the ball this much. At this age he should basically be intelligent enough to know that. You can't take on teams on your own.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
It looked like PSG had no real idea how to move the ball in final third, that's why he slowed the game so often. City defensive organization is top class.

gibers

This and more this.

Like literally in a CL semifinal you're holding on to the ball unecessarily, not even Young Messi and Young Cristiano, or even Dinho held on to the ball this much. At this age he should basically be intelligent enough to know that. You can't take on teams on your own.
Who exactly was he going to pass to? Most of the time when he released the ball his teammates lost the ball almost immediately! CR literally ball hogged and was criticised for it heavily :lol: PSG's team where simply awful. Neymar did no worse than Messi in the last few years bar the first leg against Pool. The era of hero ball is long gone.

Dominos

Who exactly was he going to pass to? Most of the time when he released the ball his teammates lost the ball almost immediately! CR literally ball hogged and was criticised for it heavily :lol: PSG's team where simply awful. Neymar did no worse than Messi in the last few years bar the first leg against Pool. The era of hero ball is long gone.
He could pass to his team mates who were in space and in better positions.

You're basically condoning the attitude he had which was "well he's not as good as me so he'll probably lose it, therefore I will try dribble past 3 players every time I get the ball".

You can be forgiven for having a poor game, if his final pass and shot was off then it's just one of those things, as long as he's playing with the right idea. To go into a CL semi final and refuse to pass the ball is just beyond disgraceful.