The New low (I.) Q. Republicans and Ted Cruz

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
https://www.businessinsider.com/gosar-aide-tried-catch-plane-rumored-fake-votes-court-docs-2021-12
Paul Gosar's chief of staff tried to intercept a plane rumored to be full of fake votes for Biden: court docs

The chief of staff for Rep. Paul Gosar of Arizona tried to catch a plane rumored to be full of fake votes, according to a recent court document.

The episode is one of the most outlandish in the fruitless search by allies of former president Donald Trump for proof that the 2020 election was stolen.

Gosar's aide, Tom Van Flein, hunted for a plane from South Korea that conspiracy theorists identified as a source of what they thought would be election-changing levels of fraud, per documents cited by The New York Times on Thursday.

They found a Korean Air plane, but no proof of fraudulent ballots.

Article continues inside spoiler.
Gosar himself, a Republican and close ally of Trump, has long pushed conspiracy theories about a stolen election.

The incident with Van Flein was described in a Supreme Court lawsuit filed in March by voter Staci Burk challenging Arizona's election result, which found Joe Biden had won the state.

The lawsuit's documents said that Van Flein was among a group of people who traveled on November 7, 2020, to an airplane parking lot near Phoenix after rumors circulated that a plane filled with fake ballots had landed.

According to the documents, the expedition was prompted by a tip sent to independent journalist Ryan Hartwig that a plane from South Korea loaded with fake votes had landed in Sky Harbor Airport on Election Night, and was about to depart.

Van Flein is also mentioned as a participant in an account of the trip on Hartwig's website.

Hartwig and Van Flein were accompanied by GOP congressional candidate Josh Barrett, activist Marko Triskovitts, and others on the expedition, according to the documents.

They recorded grainy video footage of the exterior of plane belonging to Korean Air, the national carrier of South Korea, which was then uploaded onto Hartwig's website. The lawsuit said that a member of the group called the local sheriff urging him to investigate. No proof of fake ballots ever emerged.

Insider contacted Gosar's office, and all of those named in the documents, for comment.

Gosar closely embraced Trump's election-fraud conspiracy theories, and spent months hyping an audit of votes in Maricopa County.

In October, the audit wound up having found that Biden had indeed won the election there, by slightly more votes than in the official count.

The belief that votes were being shipped in from abroad was one of the many conspiracy theories pushed by Trump allies as they sought to undermine Biden's win.

The audit in Maricopa was conducted by a firm run by a Trump supporter, Cyber Ninjas.

At one point auditors were looking for traces of bamboo on ballots, hoping to prove a baseless theory that they had their origins in Asia.

Trump's former chief of staff, Mark Meadows, reportedly pressed FBI officials to investigate the conspiracy theory that China had managed to hack voting machines using thermostats.

The election fraud "Big Lie" remains at the center of Trump's speeches and public statements as he stirs rumors of another bid for the presidency in 2024, and continues to be eagerly promoted by his close allies in the GOP.

Last edited:

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
https://www.businessinsider.com/gosar-aide-tried-catch-plane-rumored-fake-votes-court-docs-2021-12
Paul Gosar's chief of staff tried to intercept a plane rumored to be full of fake votes for Biden: court docs

The chief of staff for Rep. Paul Gosar of Arizona tried to catch a plane rumored to be full of fake votes, according to a recent court document.

The episode is one of the most outlandish in the fruitless search by allies of former president Donald Trump for proof that the 2020 election was stolen.

Gosar's aide, Tom Van Flein, hunted for a plane from South Korea that conspiracy theorists identified as a source of what they thought would be election-changing levels of fraud, per documents cited by The New York Times on Thursday.

They found a Korean Air plane, but no proof of fraudulent ballots.

Article continues inside spoiler.
Gosar himself, a Republican and close ally of Trump, has long pushed conspiracy theories about a stolen election.

The incident with Van Flein was described in a Supreme Court lawsuit filed in March by voter Staci Burk challenging Arizona's election result, which found Joe Biden had won the state.

The lawsuit's documents said that Van Flein was among a group of people who traveled on November 7, 2020, to an airplane parking lot near Phoenix after rumors circulated that a plane filled with fake ballots had landed.

According to the documents, the expedition was prompted by a tip sent to independent journalist Ryan Hartwig that a plane from South Korea loaded with fake votes had landed in Sky Harbor Airport on Election Night, and was about to depart.

Van Flein is also mentioned as a participant in an account of the trip on Hartwig's website.

Hartwig and Van Flein were accompanied by GOP congressional candidate Josh Barrett, activist Marko Triskovitts, and others on the expedition, according to the documents.

They recorded grainy video footage of the exterior of plane belonging to Korean Air, the national carrier of South Korea, which was then uploaded onto Hartwig's website. The lawsuit said that a member of the group called the local sheriff urging him to investigate. No proof of fake ballots ever emerged.

Insider contacted Gosar's office, and all of those named in the documents, for comment.

Gosar closely embraced Trump's election-fraud conspiracy theories, and spent months hyping an audit of votes in Maricopa County.

In October, the audit wound up having found that Biden had indeed won the election there, by slightly more votes than in the official count.

The belief that votes were being shipped in from abroad was one of the many conspiracy theories pushed by Trump allies as they sought to undermine Biden's win.

The audit in Maricopa was conducted by a firm run by a Trump supporter, Cyber Ninjas.

At one point auditors were looking for traces of bamboo on ballots, hoping to prove a baseless theory that they had their origins in Asia.

Trump's former chief of staff, Mark Meadows, reportedly pressed FBI officials to investigate the conspiracy theory that China had managed to hack voting machines using thermostats.

The election fraud "Big Lie" remains at the center of Trump's speeches and public statements as he stirs rumors of another bid for the presidency in 2024, and continues to be eagerly promoted by his close allies in the GOP.
$130K / year government salary for that cnut.

langster

Captain Stink mouth, so soppy few pints very wow!
Scout

I saw someone post about the amount of school shootings and when someone from the UK posted a Dunblane meme saying that after the UK banned guns we have had 0 school shootings..

Someone followed up in reply with a 'fact' that countless more school shootings and mass shootings are prevented by good guys with guns.

Obviously tumbleweeds and crickets when asked to post stats backing these facts up, but it made me wonder, as that is often their go to argument, how many shootings are stopped or prevented because of good guys with guns?

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
I saw someone post about the amount of school shootings and when someone from the UK posted a Dunblane meme saying that after the UK banned guns we have had 0 school shootings..

Someone followed up in reply with a 'fact' that countless more school shootings and mass shootings are prevented by good guys with guns.

Obviously tumbleweeds and crickets when asked to post stats backing these facts up, but it made me wonder, as that is often their go to argument, how many shootings are stopped or prevented because of good guys with guns?
There legitimately have been some shootings thwarted by 'good guys' with guns, but very few. The notion that they are constantly out there pew pew pewing the bad guys away all the time is farcical.

Multitudes more shootings are stopped through intervention before the shootings even take place, especially through observant teachers & citizenry.

nimic

something nice
Scout
I remember when the Charlie Hebdo attack happened, some American gun group organized and ran simulations, to see what would happen if someone had been armed. They were doing it to prove that armed civilians could have helped. I think their conclusion was that it didn't make any difference at all.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United

To be fair that person likely is Boebert level intelligence. I mean...wouldn't it be impossible to stop more that all potential shootings?

Beans

Supports
Neutral
I remember when the Charlie Hebdo attack happened, some American gun group organized and ran simulations, to see what would happen if someone had been armed. They were doing it to prove that armed civilians could have helped. I think their conclusion was that it didn't make any difference at all.
Since you've gone and mentioned something without being able to recall what happened I went and looked it up for you.

It looks like they only looked at arming 1 person in the exercise, they don't explain it in detail in the links I found. Because there were 2 armed opponents, it didn't go well. I imagine if all the hostages were armed it would go pretty well. Can't say this reeks of scientific proof either way, just some small group creating an exercise.

The group who created the exercise have switched to attacking the NRA since 2018 according to Wikipedia, so they may not be a raging right wing source anymore.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Truth_About_Guns

https://www.texasmonthly.com/the-da...a-re-enactment-of-the-charlie-hebdo-shooting/

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/jan/15/texas-gun-group-charlie-hebdo-paintball

https://www.vice.com/en/article/438...o-gun-group-reenacting-charlie-hebdo-massacre

WPMUFC

I can only image how much traction this thread will get with full GOP control in 2022 and all the investigations launched into Biden by the lunatics essentially ending all policy debate until 2024.

WPMUFC

The fashy self-paralyzer is quite the tough guy...

You always wonder how, historically, countries didn't see it coming. Yet this is just example 50,999 of what they want and it's just dismissed as "talking to their base" or "it's all talk, you lot as so hysterical". Meanwhile they just amp and amp up the rhetoric until it spills over into action.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
You always wonder how, historically, countries didn't see it coming. Yet this is just example 50,999 of what they want and it's just dismissed as "talking to their base" or "it's all talk, you lot as so hysterical". Meanwhile they just amp and amp up the rhetoric until it spills over into action.
Frog in the pot.

WPMUFC

Frog in the pot.
Storming the Capitol is now an "antifa BLM plot against the country". People are running for office based on a policy of not certifying democratic wins should they occur. Elected members flirt with the murder of politicians and members of society for not following their political ideology.

But hey..... we're the weird ones for questioning what their motives are. :lol:

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
@Dr. Dwayne

Yes. Although he starts off with decent form while shooting one handed there's lots wrong after that. Firstly, going two-fisted is generally frowned upon. It takes a certain type, shall we say?

Also he's canted the pistols a little bit which is likely to reduce his accuracy once recoil starts impacting things.

Finally, he's holding the pistols too high. Maybe it's a technique he's developed because of his wheelchair but usually you want the recoil to drive straight back into your shoulder not slightly downward.

Oh and mounting the light/laser things at the shooting range also marks you out as a bit of a clown, just like double fisting your pistols does.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Yes. Although he starts off with decent form while shooting one handed there's lots wrong after that. Firstly, going two-fisted is generally frowned upon. It takes a certain type, shall we say?

Also he's canted the pistols a little bit which is likely to reduce his accuracy once recoil starts impacting things.

Finally, he's holding the pistols too high. Maybe it's a technique he's developed because of his wheelchair but usually you want the recoil to drive straight back into your shoulder not slightly downward.

Oh and mounting the light/laser things at the shooting range also marks you out as a bit of a clown, just like double fisting your pistols does.
Plus the smile at the end is creepy as feck.