The New Official Republic of Ireland Football Thread

BerryBerryShrew

So instead of a loan, they’ve just terminated his contract?

How long did he have left?
I think his contract was up in the summer. But BBC Sport also said the following on their livetext:

If you're wondering why Spurs released Matt Doherty so he could join Atletico Madrid instead of loaning him to the Spanish club as planned, there is a very good reason.

Newish Fifa rules only allow clubs to send out eight players on loan in a season.

And Harry Winks, Tanguy Ndombele, Bryan Gil, Joe Rodon, Sergio Reguilon, Giovani lo Celso, Destiny Udogie and Djed Spence have already left Spurs on a temporary basis.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
So instead of a loan, they’ve just terminated his contract?

How long did he have left?
Doherty's departure was initially set to be temporary, but that would have taken Tottenham up to nine players out on loan and FIFA's limit is eight.

AM gonna get a shock when they realise he’s no trippier

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
That new crest/badge is very sexy.

Champ

"Ireland
Football
"

The wording is odd. Design is nice though.
Didn't really notice that, but yeah it is a tad odd, but I just the classical simplicity of it.

Hoping Castore can produce a decent shirt, they usually are pretty decent.

Nick7

Green Rangers kit. Wonder if Castore's quality control has gotten any better.

edgecutter

Just a reminder to everyone excited about buying the new kit. Don't. Castore's quality control is awful, you would be better with a knock off.

Zebs

Clare Baldings Daughter plays too much Wordscapes
Have only just noticed that Nathan Collins hasn't been starting for Wolves for a good few weeks now. What happened there? I remember Wolves saying he was their only positive in the first half of the season. He seems to have been replaced by an aging Craig Dawson too. Odd.

Champ

This was doing the rounds a few weeks ago - https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMY6tJeXt/

Followed by this around a week later -

Thoughts fellow Irishers?
Glad Smallbone got a mention in those.

He has really impressed me this season when I have seen him play, looks like the player I thought he would become before his injury.

padzilla

Hipster
Important question is Castore pronounced as Castor or Castori?

Fingers crossed Ferguson is the real deal for us as we've missed a top notch striker since Robbie Keane, that said it's an avalanche of pressure on the young lad before he even plays. Look at Aaron Connolly who was also going to be the next big thing for us.

next_number_seven

This was doing the rounds a few weeks ago - https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMY6tJeXt/

Followed by this around a week later -

Thoughts fellow Irishers?
It's not complete hyperbole.

We're probably sorted for keepers and CBs for a decade.
Josh Cullen is solid and hopefully Smallbone, Hodge, Knight, Molumby can fill other midfield roles.

We're lacking in wide areas unfortunately.

A lot of the hype is just potential and we all know it can lead to nothing.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Important question is Castore pronounced as Castor or Castori?

Fingers crossed Ferguson is the real deal for us as we've missed a top notch striker since Robbie Keane, that said it's an avalanche of pressure on the young lad before he even plays. Look at Aaron Connolly who was also going to be the next big thing for us.
Castor-ay, surely?

Pirlo'sBeard

The new shirt is hideous.

It's basically the Rangers shirt in green and Castore are notorious for shit quality.

O'Neills are creating Ireland jersey's of much higher quality.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Anyone going on about the ‘Rebab-lack of Oireland’ already lost me. I remember Jack Charlton many years ago saying at a public event ‘It’s Ireland, son’.

BerryBerryShrew

Anyone going on about the ‘Rebab-lack of Oireland’ already lost me. I remember Jack Charlton many years ago saying at a public event ‘It’s Ireland, son’.
While I quite like the crest, I think it would better if the writing was "as Gaeilge". If in English, I'd personally prefer to see "Republic of Ireland" rather than just "Ireland" because it seems slightly disrespectful to Northern Ireland.

padzilla

Hipster
While I quite like the crest, I think it would better if the writing was "as Gaeilge". If in English, I'd personally prefer to see "Republic of Ireland" rather than just "Ireland" because it seems slightly disrespectful to Northern Ireland.
Definitely not opening a can of worms there with the being disrespectful to Northern Ireland comment!

You can say the north is being disrespectful with its governing body calling itself the Irish Football Association competing in the Irish League and Irish Cup.

Of course that would be a bit daft as it's the oldest FA on the island but you see my point.

kidbob

And he's off!! Brilliant by Obafemi to keep it in. The football we have played under Kenny is a huge improvement. We are actually capable of playing this level of team off the park now. I really hope the FAI don't make a stupid decision and sack him if we don't qualify from a very tough group.

Wayne's World

Looking really good, been massively impressed with Smallbone

We have so many top youths to come into this side, the future has never been brighter for the Irish team

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Matt Doherty is the epitome of a nothing player.
Offers absolutely zero.
Every time he gets the ball he slides it sideways and trots forward a bit.

I'm here at the game and watching him.
Same every game

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
And he's off!! Brilliant by Obafemi to keep it in. The football we have played under Kenny is a huge improvement. We are actually capable of playing this level of team off the park now. I really hope the FAI don't make a stupid decision and sack him if we don't qualify from a very tough group.
Steady on. We've passed them sideways to death but lack that penetrative move time and again kills us and has always been Kennys problem

kidbob

Steady on. We've passed them sideways to death but lack that penetrative move time and again kills us and has always been Kennys problem
For me it beats long balling them to death. But yeah creativity certainly remains a problem. We really lack that one great creative player.