The next priority - GK, CM, CF

CloneMC16

It really can't be understated how much losing Greenwood hurt this squad. He'd be leading the line right now in this system and bagging for fun
Can't agree more. We've lost a £100m asset overnight. With him, we would be in a lot better position upfront. I loved watching him play as well.

If we're looking at starters, we need a new GK, ST, and CM.

GK would be my main priority. If we have to spend a large portion of the budget on one, it should be done. We can't play the way ETH wants without a GK with better distribution. We also need someone that is willing to sweep on a consistent basis. Someone who commands their box and is very vocal would also be a huge positive. I'd definitely take someone who has a lower save percentage if they're very good in those other areas.

ST is next, because we probably can't count on Martial, and Rashford is not a #9. I would love a #9 with a similar profile to Martial. Someone with better work rate and a better finisher would be nice, though. Realistically, this will be our most expensive signing.

CM would be my third. As good as Eriksen has been, if he isn't playing, our performances are going to drop off a cliff. It's understandable why ETH wanted FDJ so badly. We need someone that is comfortable receiving the ball with their back to the opposition and beating the press. They need to play be able to play progressive passes from deep. Being a ball carrier on top that would be great. I would like this to be a younger player. A couple of our other midfielders are 30 or near to it.

RB depends on Dalot. I wasn't a fan of his, but he's started this season very well. If he can continue to play like this, the spot is his.

hodgey123

It has to be GK for me. The difference in our build-up play with a keeper even competent with the ball at his feet would be huge. It is so frustrating seeing DDG constantly hoof the ball long (or out), particularly now when we have the ability to play from the back with Martinez and we have Rashford up front pretending to jump to contest for the long kick.

The need for a GK is even more pressing when you consider his actual goalkeeping these days, in terms of sweeping, coming off his line, claiming crosses, one-on-ones etc. where I feel he is probably in the bottom half of the league at least in each department. His shot-stopping remains his strength but does not make up for the other deficiencies in his game which cost us a lot more than he saves us now.

RkkMan

Would also add a RB but I`d be happy for us to scout cheaper options there as well as CM for young options of the correct profile(CM especially has to be a DLP) that can allow Dalot and Eriksen to rest and offer good competition too
GK and CF HAVE to be starting quality players not young budget players or stop gap budget players but long term starting quality players even if it means paying over the odds. CF and GK are imperative positions to have players of the right long term profile to implement a high press and possession based style

EtH

Should have signed Vlahovic last January on Ralf’s recommendation. We would be so much better off right now if so. Thank feck most of those scouts are gone.

Early days but I still say we need a CF and another versatile forward. Along with another CM (soon to be two considering Eriksen and Casemiro are getting on), a new GK and a first choice RB.

We should also be looking at yet another CB soon considering Varane’s fitness issues. So there is still a lot to be done.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
A top class striker is the biggest priority. You don’t win games unless you score and it’s my biggest concern for this season.

izec

All 3 positions need to be our main priority. That is where most of our budget should go to for next season, no compromises.

The rest to be seen, depending on sales etc.

Someone argued with me last week that RB should be our priority, the guy is living in cuckoo land. RB addition would be nice, but nowhere near close to the 3 positions in the title/OP.

r0663664

Worships Man City
If there is limited funds, I will get a striker and CM. I can live with De Gea for 1 more year but cannot trust our striker. Ronald is done, I think he will move go MLS for his last hurray. Martial is injury prone and Rashford is just inconsistent.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I think first priority should be STK. We need someone whose able to score goals regularly. Second Priority is DLP. We can't rely on Eriksen week in week out. Third priority should be RB

However we also need to have a serious look at the squad as a whole. We've got too many serial underachievers. Those are incredibly dangerous as they suck alot of money out of the club and they create an aura of complacency within the squad. The likes of Maguire, Shaw, AWB, Jones and Martial must leave the club.

m1tch

Striker and goalkeeper are the critical ones I'd say. Providing we get the right players in for those two positions then other areas that need strengthening RB, LB, CB, CM become nice to haves with potential to strengthen some from promoting youth.

davidmichael

I think it’s very clear that our four areas to massively upgrade in are in goal, right back, a progressive deep lying playmaker and a striker and I don’t think any are more a priority than the others as they’re all THE priority in my opinion.

We are literally those four positions and the squad adapting to ETH’s methods away from challenging for trophies BUT not until ALL FOUR positions have been massively upgraded and I think ETH himself knows that next summer those are where we strengthen the squad.

Personally I’d be happy to move De Gea, Dalot, AWB, Tuanzebe, Jones, Telles, VDB and Ronaldo all on for good next summer then promote Laird and then look at either Sanchez or Raya in goal, a positionally sound but attacking right back, either go all out for De Jong or go for Bennacer and a forward who can link up play but fluid enough to interchange with the rest of the frontline.

eire-red

I agree on the positions, but I don't know who the right profile of player is.

I've liked the look of Osimhen ever since Leicester played Napoli in the EL and he bagged a brace. One of those rare strikers perfectly capable of leading the line solo and occupying two defenders.

GK and CM I honestly have no idea. FDJ ship has sailed I feel, and I don't know any ready made top GK's. Meslier from Leeds and Bruno Guimaraes spring to mind. Those 3 players would cost a fortune though in one window.

croadyman

I think it’s very clear that our four areas to massively upgrade in are in goal, right back, a progressive deep lying playmaker and a striker and I don’t think any are more a priority than the others as they’re all THE priority in my opinion.

We are literally those four positions and the squad adapting to ETH’s methods away from challenging for trophies BUT not until ALL FOUR positions have been massively upgraded and I think ETH himself knows that next summer those are where we strengthen the squad.

Personally I’d be happy to move De Gea, Dalot, AWB, Tuanzebe, Jones, Telles, VDB and Ronaldo all on for good next summer then promote Laird and then look at either Sanchez or Raya in goal, a positionally sound but attacking right back, either go all out for De Jong or go for Bennacer and a forward who can link up play but fluid enough to interchange with the rest of the frontline.
Yeah not expecting to see us play Erik's style of Football until those players are in place

RkkMan

You'd sell a 23yr old in form Portuguese International RB to keep Laird who's nowhere close to being an England International or PL Level RB? He's not done much out on loan either outside a few good months at Swansea ffs this obsession with academy players :rolleyes:
We do need a RB but Dalot absolutely has to play a part in this team if he keeps up his form

MrSingh2002

Starting GK and ST to Replace De Gea and Ronaldo.

Starting CM or Eriksen backup to replace Fred in the squad.

Replace Maguire and Shaw in the squad to compete with the other CB's and Malacia.

Replace AWB to compete with Dalot.

I'm glad it's clear to see we can improve in areas like GK, CM and ST for starters, and the areas we can strengthen the squad but not necessarily the Starting lineup at LB, CB and RB.

Ideal squad after summer 2023.

Sell and replace de Gea, Maguire, Shaw, AWB, Fred and Ronaldo so we can have a good 22 man squad like Chelsea and City.

GK
Dubravka

Dalot Varane Martinez Malacia
RB Lindelof LCB LB

Eriksen Casemiro
CM McTominay

Antony Fernandes Sancho
Elanga VdB Rashford

ST
Greenwood

Two starters and 4 squad players to compete should be doable. With the best talented youngsters filling out the rest of the squad, Fernandez LB, Mengi, Savage, Iqbal, Shoretire, Garnacho and McNeill.

The good thing about being brave and making these moves would be that if we sell and buy right we could get reasonable resale value for De Gea, Shaw, Maguire, AWB and Fred. Ronaldo being the exception as we can't give him away.

Last edited:

HairyBack23

Funny how a lot of people here are talking about Dalot when he's shown more overall quality than Malacia, who while good defensively, has been shown to be much more limited on the ball/offensively.

If the roles were reversed and Dalot was the new signing, everyone would be talking about Malacia.

davidmichael

You'd sell a 23yr old in form Portuguese International RB to keep Laird who's nowhere close to being an England International or PL Level RB? He's not done much out on loan either outside a few good months at Swansea ffs this obsession with academy players :rolleyes:
We do need a RB but Dalot absolutely has to play a part in this team if he keeps up his form
I’d move Dalot on because I don’t think he’s good enough as a starting right back but I didn’t say Laird should be first choice, Laird as back up to a new starting right back as I think Laird would be far happier as back up than Dalot would be.

RkkMan

I’d move Dalot on because I don’t think he’s good enough as a starting right back but I didn’t say Laird should be first choice, Laird as back up to a new starting right back as I think Laird would be far happier as back up than Dalot would be.
Dalot has never complained about being a back up though even when Fosu Mensah was chosen over him.He may not prove to be good enough to be a starter(though that`s up for debate as I think he is still young to improve and has the attributes of a starting level RB) but he won`t have an issue being a back up either as long as he`s actually being picked when necessary. Would also ensure there isn`t a massive drop off in quality between back ups and starters
Being an academy player shouldn`t guarantee a first team place. If Laird doesn`t have a very good loan spell like Reece James we should do what we did with Garner and sell him instead and keep Dalot who`s a far better and proven player

Neil_Buchanan

Cock'd
We need all three but striker should be the priority given the importance of the position and the shortage of options in the market.

Boondog

Striker is our top need due to Martial being untrustworthy and Ronaldo looking like he aged 10 years this offseason.

Midfield needs a ball carrier. Ericksen is making up for the fact he's not ideal there with his ability to distribute the ball, but if we lose him for any time this team will be hideous.

Keeper is going to be tough. Everyone wants a top sweeper and there's not enough great ones out there. I'd like to see them leave no stone unturned with this position, meaning look hard at the young options and try to find a gem, at least take a shot on one. So worst case we'd have Henderson, Dubravka, and a good young up and comer.

croadyman

It has to be GK for me. The difference in our build-up play with a keeper even competent with the ball at his feet would be huge. It is so frustrating seeing DDG constantly hoof the ball long (or out), particularly now when we have the ability to play from the back with Martinez and we have Rashford up front pretending to jump to contest for the long kick.

The need for a GK is even more pressing when you consider his actual goalkeeping these days, in terms of sweeping, coming off his line, claiming crosses, one-on-ones etc. where I feel he is probably in the bottom half of the league at least in each department. His shot-stopping remains his strength but does not make up for the other deficiencies in his game which cost us a lot more than he saves us now.
Convinced we can find a keeper that may not have DDG stopping ability but better in all other areas particularly commanding area and distribution

OmarUnited4ever

we need a top class striker, or a striker capable of maintain a decent goal scoring record plus being able to function in Ten Hag's system, I would argue we should bring the new striker in January.

Next summer, a technical CM similar to Modric or De Jong should be a priority, and then a new GK.

RedOrange

we need a top class striker, or a striker capable of maintain a decent goal scoring record plus being able to function in Ten Hag's system, I would argue we should bring the new striker in January.

Next summer, a technical CM similar to Modric or De Jong should be a priority, and then a new GK.
I am of the opposite mind. The Real Sociedad match showed we can't move the ball up the middle at all without Eriksen there and he probably won't be able to play in 50 matches. Martial and Rashford leave a lot to be desired , but I'd rather deal with that all year than a midfield pivot with 2 ball winners who can only pass sideways.

OmarUnited4ever

I am of the opposite mind. The Real Sociedad match showed we can't move the ball up the middle at all without Eriksen there and he probably won't be able to play in 50 matches. Martial and Rashford leave a lot to be desired , but I'd rather deal with that all year than a midfield pivot with 2 ball winners who can only pass sideways.
I think a striker who can drop deep and help in the buildup will complement a team that tries to build and move the ball, Rashford can't do that as well as someone like Martial, a striker in the mold of someone like Benzema or Suarez will help in that regard

I also think Casemiro can move the ball with his quick and accurate passing (though he is now off the pace and needs some time to adjust), and when he plays alongside McTominay or Fred for example, he might not have Eriksen's vision, but he can certainly move the ball properly to our attackers/attacking mids or switch it to the other flank, but buildup play is not on the Midfield alone, in the game against Sociedad, Eriksen & Dalot's departure, plus Fred's terrible performance contributed to the issues of buildup play and ball movement, which was exasperated by Ronaldo's non existent holdup play and Maguire+Lindelof low intensity passing (Martinez improved the team with his quick passing).

Mcking

GK should be the priority comfortably. Replacing De Gea with a better keeper would completely transform this team. From our ability to keep the ball, build attacks effectively, and impose ourselves defensively, he is pretty much a huge part of most of the team's limitations. Diogo Costa looks a talent, but I'd love to see us break the bank for Mike Maignan.

CM and CF are two positions we lack in numbers. We could do with another midfielder considering we somehow still have McTominay starting, and unless Martial has a mad season, then we should be looking to spend big on a CF. Ivan Toney is the complete striker, and if we are looking for a first choice starting striker, then he should be comfortably top of the list imo. Don't see him flopping in any team with his all-round game.

RB and LB depends on Shaw and Wan-Bissaka. Dalot looks good enough to be invested on as a starter, but not sure about Malacia yet. Could see Shaw taking back the position but fingers crossed. Jury's still out on other positions as well.

Lentwood

The goalkeeper is first on my list. I would be 100% letting DDG leave on a free at the end of the season.

He was world-class between 2013-2018 but he's now unsuited to be used in any role, either first-choice or backup, and should be let go

justsomebloke

What do we think should be the next priority in terms of recruitment when it comes to January and next summer?

Goalkeeper - It’s clear De Gea can’t play the sweeping ball playing role that Ten Hag requires. Currently we are having to adapt to accommodate him which in turn means we concede more possession from his kicking than we should be doing.

Ball playing midfielder - Currently using Eriksen in the role to good effect but clear Ten Hag fancied De Jong due to the fact he could also progress the ball by carrying it forward and not just by picking a pass.

Centre forward - With Ronaldo leaving next year, and his clear inability to play the system, the importance of a more modern, mobile centre forward looks key. Martial and Rashford both appear capable but question marks about reliability remain with only Martial showing real competence at hold up and link up play.
I think it's too early to say really.

It's not a foregone conclusion that De Gea won't work, although I agree the question marks are big and obvious. Also, surely Henderson might be an option here?

We will need a CF for sure, but it will matter to priorities how well Martial (and maybe Rashford) does in that role.

I agree we're not done in CM, but again performances will matter.

Same with RB - Dalot is obviously being given the chance, and we don't yet know if he'll take it (pessimistic though I am about that).

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
I’d say we need a clinical striker but one that can link up play and bring others around him into play. Similar to martial… someone with a bit of pace aswell so then it gives us different options to score. We definitely need to add more goals into the team.

Infra-red

There is a lot of scope to improve the first XI with a new goalkeeper, ball carrying midfielder and a striker. They should be the three top priorities in my view.

January has not traditionally been a great window for getting good business done, but this one will be unique in that it falls directly after what most top payers will consider the peak of the season, the World Cup. I think it's possible that we will therefore see a larger number of high quality players willing to move mid-season than we ordinarily might expect.

croadyman

There is a lot of scope to improve the first XI with a new goalkeeper, ball carrying midfielder and a striker. They should be the three top priorities in my view.

January has not traditionally been a great window for getting good business done, but this one will be unique in that it falls directly after what most top payers will consider the peak of the season, the World Cup. I think it's possible that we will therefore see a larger number of high quality players willing to move mid-season than we ordinarily might expect.
Those are definitely the top priorities but still not entirely sure on the order of them

Lentwood

Can we get a poll in this thread? It would be interesting to see which position the caf thinks should be priority #1

Don't know who adds polls or who to ask...

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
Id go for a striker first. Right now our best option is Martial and he hasn't been consistent, or consistently healthy, in years.

After that GK is a must, a ball carrying midfielder too.

largelyworried

GK and CF are the priorities as things stand. Both are crippling our ability to play a possession game. Our keeper is having to play it safety first all the time, which makes it harder to draw opponents out and find space to pass in. The lack of a CF that can hold up the ball and bring others in means we lose the ball whenever it reaches attacking central areas. Combined, it means we're outnumbered any time we face a team that is trying to retain possession too.

Midfield will depend on how the current lot maintain their form, but assuming that the obvious choices maintain fair form and avoid injury, I would prefer to prioritise GK and CF and wait til the following season to get a MF.

redcucumber

This time next summer De Gea and Ronaldo will both be out of contract. Two major positions which you'd imagine the club are already drafting up replacements for. Maignan, Diogo Costa, Sanchez - there are good options out there for GK. For the forward position, the names circulating appear to be Toney and Osimhen. I'd love to see us get Vlahovic from Juve but you'd imagine it would depend on whether or not they get CL qualification (as well as us!). Exciting times, though. We feel so much closer to where we need to be after the summer we've just had with ten Hag at the helm.

croadyman

This time next summer De Gea and Ronaldo will both be out of contract. Two major positions which you'd imagine the club are already drafting up replacements for. Maignan, Diogo Costa, Sanchez - there are good options out there for GK. For the forward position, the names circulating appear to be Toney and Osimhen. I'd love to see us get Vlahovic from Juve but you'd imagine it would depend on whether or not they get CL qualification (as well as us!). Exciting times, though. We feel so much closer to where we need to be after the summer we've just had with ten Hag at the helm.
So if you had to choose out of

Maignan & Toney
Costa & Osimhen

wangyu

I'm not even sure we are set for years on the LB, LW, RW, DM and CB positions. So I expect the team to still look very different compared to what it is now.

Primex

Tier 1
Sanchez
Frenkie de jong
Oshimen
Tier 2
Costa
Caquaret
lautaro Martinez
Dream tier (long term)
Bazunu
Camavinga