The Non-League Teams Thread - including FCUoM etc

Luke1995

What is Beckham's role at Salford ? Found it weird that he has joined them while being busy with his own MLS team.

Chipper

Adulterer.
What is Beckham's role at Salford ? Found it weird that he has joined them while being busy with his own MLS team.
Don't think he does much.

He's actually sold his interest in Miami as of a day or two ago although he's still going be the face of the club for publicity etc.

Luke1995

Don't think he does much.

He's actually sold his interest in Miami as of a day or two ago although he's still going be the face of the club for publicity etc.
And do you knows anything about what is Salford's project nowadays ? It's quite hard to watch non-league games on TV, so although i'm interested in finding out more about that team, haven't had much sucess

Chipper

Adulterer.
And do you knows anything about what is Salford's project nowadays ? It's quite hard to watch non-league games on TV, so although i'm interested in finding out more about that team, haven't had much sucess
Only the basic stuff.

They had lots of money compared to the other teams around them because of the owners Peter Lim + the ex-united players. Their big headline signing last season was Adam Rooney from Aberdeen in the Scottish Premier League and it was said he'd be earning more at Salford in the 5th tier than in the top division in Scotland. They've fully redeveloped their stadium in recent years.

They've had a few promotions in a row and now go into League 2 for the first time in their history this upcoming season. The fixtures were announced today and they will play Stevenage in their first match. The Carabao Cup draw was this evening, another first appearance for them in that competition and they've got Leeds United at home which is almost guaranteed to be on tv.

They've already signed 4 or 5 new players for the new campaign.

Not sure what their aims are for this season or where they ultimately see themselves going. Burton Albion reached the Championship in recent seasons and they have a similar small stadium of 6-700 people so maybe they could look to emulate them one day and reach that league. With the money they have it could be possible.

Luke1995

Only the basic stuff.

They had lots of money compared to the other teams around them because of the owners Peter Lim + the ex-united players. Their big headline signing last season was Adam Rooney from Aberdeen in the Scottish Premier League and it was said he'd be earning more at Salford in the 5th tier than in the top division in Scotland. They've fully redeveloped their stadium in recent years.

They've had a few promotions in a row and now go into League 2 for the first time in their history this upcoming season. The fixtures were announced today and they will play Stevenage in their first match. The Carabao Cup draw was this evening, another first appearance for them in that competition and they've got Leeds United at home which is almost guaranteed to be on tv.

Not sure what their aims are for this season or where they ultimately see themselves going. Burton Albion reached the Championship in recent seasons and they have a similar small stadium of 6-700 people so maybe they could look to emulate them one day and reach that league. With the money they have it could be possible.
Big thanks for the insight. With the way things are going, in a few seasons they will be better than Sunderland. Netflix should definitely do a documentary on Salford.

It's a bit weird for a player to leave Scottish league to join them but the more they go up the more likely it is more of those will be going there right ?

Chipper

Adulterer.
Big thanks for the insight. With the way things are going, in a few seasons they will be better than Sunderland. Netflix should definitely do a documentary on Salford.

It's a bit weird for a player to leave Scottish league to join them but the more they go up the more likely it is more of those will be going there right ?
Yes, with their ambition there's no reason why it won't/can't happen again. I think some of the better players in League One/League Two probably are Scottish Premier League standard anyway. Rangers just bought someone from Oldham for example. What was really unusual was the amount of money Salford could pay Adam Rooney considering they were a league lower than League Two as Aberdeen obviously have much higher attendances up in Scotland.

Not sure they've signed anyone quite as big/famous so far this summer yet, although these two, particularly the first one do have some experience in the Championship:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richie_Towell
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oscar_Threlkeld

They look like solid signings on the face of it.

Luke1995

Yes, with their ambition there's no reason why it won't/can't happen again. I think some of the better players in League One/League Two probably are Scottish Premier League standard anyway. Rangers just bought someone from Oldham for example. What was really unusual was the amount of money Salford could pay Adam Rooney considering they were a league lower than League Two as Aberdeen obviously have much higher attendances up in Scotland.

Not sure they've signed anyone quite as big/famous so far this summer yet, although these two, particularly the first one do have some experience in the Championship:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richie_Towell
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oscar_Threlkeld

They look like solid signings on the face of it.
They definitely don't buy just for the sake of it. Some of the clubs in the lower leagues, even traditional clubs like Bolton and Portsmouth, they have had such a big fall from grace due to no clear plan, you can tell that Salford currently is being well run. IMO the main thing outside of the premier league is being very creative with the signings, get the good players of certain parts of the world and mix them up together. In short, have a great scouting system.

Robbo's Shoulder

Supports
United and Barrow AFC
BT have the rights for the conference and normally show 1 game a week, they also a highlights package so coverage isn't too bad for that level. Certainly more games on tv than League 2 i'd guess.

manc exile

Supports
City
Only the basic stuff.

Not sure what their aims are for this season or where they ultimately see themselves going. Burton Albion reached the Championship in recent seasons and they have a similar small stadium of 6-700 people so maybe they could look to emulate them one day and reach that league. With the money they have it could be possible.[/QUOTE]

is that a typo? burtons stadium holds nearly 7000

Chipper

Adulterer.
is that a typo? burtons stadium holds nearly 7000
Yeah typo, missed a '0' off the end. Was trying to say Burton's is 6-7000, which isn't that much different to Salford's. I didn't know the exact figures at the time of posting. Burton's is 6912, Salford's 5106.

Alright, Burton's capacity is actually 35% bigger, but both are rather small and I don't believe Burton had the same potential level of financial backing that Salford do. Burton don't even fill that anyway, and the season they went up to the Championship from League One were averaging 4089 fans at their games.

Fleetwood have almost made it too, missing out in the play-offs to get into the Championship when they finished 4th in League One in 2016/17. Their ground holds 5327 and they averaged 3272 that season.

So Salford's ground could in theory be big enough get them into the Championship one day in my opinion. Still a long way off of course, and if they did get there it's a whole other level. To stay up for a while or be successful in that league they'd almost certainly need a larger stadium and fan base. Increasing the fan base would be a hard task.

Last edited:

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Yeah typo, missed a '0' off the end. Was trying to say Burton's is 6-7000, which isn't that much different to Salford's. I didn't know the exact figures at the time of posting. Burton's is 6912, Salford's 5106.

Alright, Burton's capacity is actually 35% bigger, but both are rather small and I don't believe Burton had the same potential level of financial backing that Salford do. Burton don't even fill that anyway, and the season they went up to the Championship from League One were averaging 4089 fans at their games.

Fleetwood have almost made it too, missing out in the play-offs to get into the Championship when they finished 4th in League One in 2016/17. Their ground holds 5327 and they averaged 3272 that season.

So Salford's ground could in theory be big enough get them into the Championship one day in my opinion. Still a long way off of course, and if they did get there it's a whole other level. To stay up for a while or be successful in that league they'd almost certainly need a larger stadium and fan base. Increasing the fan base would be a hard task.
From going to salfords ground once, it seems a totally limited setup.

5,000 capacity at most, the ground is right on a main road so no scope to increase it, and not even a proper carpark. Just a tiny area for players and scholesy to rock in ten min before kick off.

They'd have to move for certain.

Frasbul

everclear is a cool band. yeah they still exist.
I'll be in Manchester from October 14th to October 16th. Sadly, it's during the international break. Now I saw that FcUoM ist playing on October 15th. Is it easy to get a ticket? Also, is it worth it? How is the crowd? And will I be lynched for wearing a United shirt? So many questions.

decorativeed

I'll be in Manchester from October 14th to October 16th. Sadly, it's during the international break. Now I saw that FcUoM ist playing on October 15th. Is it easy to get a ticket? Also, is it worth it? How is the crowd? And will I be lynched for wearing a United shirt? So many questions.
Yes, it's easy to get a ticket. I doubt anyone will give you a second glance wearing a United shirt, especially if it is a pre-Glaser one. The crowd depends on all kinds of things, weather being the main one!

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United

Pay on the door mate. £12 for adults and £3 for kids.

It’s definitely worth it, I know loads of United fans that still have season tickets at Old Trafford that turn up at FC and always have a great day.

You’ll be made more than welcome with a United shirt.

Drop me a message nearer the time if you have any other questions. Happy to meet for a beer in the ground. We’re allowed to drink on the terraces!:)

Robbo's Shoulder

Supports
United and Barrow AFC
Where has this come from? It always seemed that they would score and then you just knew they would concede goals.
The quality was always there but it seemed they just lacked a bit of belief. They play and have played some really good football since Evatt came in and now seem to have the belief that a few good results can bring. My only worry is if Evatt gets a offer he can't refuse, he's been fantastic and we also now have a board of local people who only wants what best for the club.
It would be wonderful for the town if this current bunch could get BAFC back to the football league.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
The quality was always there but it seemed they just lacked a bit of belief. They play and have played some really good football since Evatt came in and now seem to have the belief that a few good results can bring. My only worry is if Evatt gets a offer he can't refuse, he's been fantastic and we also now have a board of local people who only wants what best for the club.
It would be wonderful for the town if this current bunch could get BAFC back to the football league.
Hope it happens. We should never have been kicked out in the first place.

Robbo's Shoulder

Supports
United and Barrow AFC
Hope it happens. We should never have been kicked out in the first place.
No we shouldn't have but chopping off the corners to accommodate the speedway track and replacing them with wooden boards covered in sods of grass on match day didn't help.
I want to smash the telly in every time the BBC show that Ronnie Radford goal :lol:

DomesticTadpole

No we shouldn't have but chopping off the corners to accommodate the speedway track and replacing them with wooden boards covered in sods of grass on match day didn't help.
I want to smash the telly in every time the BBC show that Ronnie Radford goal :lol:
Look where Hereford are now. Would Holker Street be up to standard or would it need a lot of work doing?

Robbo's Shoulder

Supports
United and Barrow AFC
Look where Hereford are now. Would Holker Street be up to standard or would it need a lot of work doing?
It would need work doing but the club would be eligible for football league grants and have 3 years (I think?) to do any improvements necessary.
It's no worse a ground than Accrington and the likes of FGR and does meet the seating criteria of 1,000.

DomesticTadpole

It would need work doing but the club would be eligible for football league grants and have 3 years (I think?) to do any improvements necessary.
It's no worse a ground than Accrington and the likes of FGR and does meet the seating criteria of 1,000.
That's good. We're getting carried away here.:lol: Just shows we are not used to Barrow doing so well in the league. As you say they have a good manager in Evatt and we need to keep hold of him.

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United
Barrow fan...

Are you going on Saturday (should you win tonight?)

We’ve got 4 coaches booked, loads going on the train. Could be a good day!

Robbo's Shoulder

Supports
United and Barrow AFC
Barrow fan...

Are you going on Saturday (should you win tonight?)

We’ve got 4 coaches booked, loads going on the train. Could be a good day!
Working unfortunately mate. Not too fussed with the trophy this year tbh, we only have a small squad so I'd much rather concentrate on the League.
That's not meant to sound Billy big bollocks as the trophy has been our only source of success in our non league years and is regarded fondly by Barrow fans, just the reality of a small squad and maybe (hopefully, fingers crossed, please please please) this being the 1 year we have a realistic chance of gaining back football league status. I have heard Evatt is playing a near full strength side though so should be a decent game.

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United
Working unfortunately mate. Not too fussed with the trophy this year tbh, we only have a small squad so I'd much rather concentrate on the League.
That's not meant to sound Billy big bollocks as the trophy has been our only source of success in our non league years and is regarded fondly by Barrow fans, just the reality of a small squad and maybe (hopefully, fingers crossed, please please please) this being the 1 year we have a realistic chance of gaining back football league status. I have heard Evatt is playing a near full strength side though so should be a decent game.
Fair enough. Reccomend any decent boozers?

Our lot are all buzzing for it. We're playing great football at the moment.

Fond memories of beating you in the Fa Cup a few years ago aswell

Robbo's Shoulder

Supports
United and Barrow AFC
Fair enough. Reccomend any decent boozers?

Our lot are all buzzing for it. We're playing great football at the moment.

Fond memories of beating you in the Fa Cup a few years ago aswell
Apologies, only just seen this.
How was your day mate? Looks like FC were just a little outclassed. Good team this Barrow side this season and that's the 2nd 7-0 win in 3 games.

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United
Apologies, only just seen this.
How was your day mate? Looks like FC were just a little outclassed. Good team this Barrow side this season and that's the 2nd 7-0 win in 3 games.
It was great actually. We went drinking in Ulverston pre match which is a nice area.

We had our chances at 0-0 and 1-0 but you dominated us at times. You'll do well in League 2 next season if you get promoted.

Robbo's Shoulder

Supports
United and Barrow AFC
It was great actually. We went drinking in Ulverston pre match which is a nice area.

We had our chances at 0-0 and 1-0 but you dominated us at times. You'll do well in League 2 next season if you get promoted.
Aye Ulverston's spot on for a decent session.
We'll need to strengthen the squad numbers wise but the 1st 11 should compete well in League 2 although Platt and White are loanee's who will be back at their parent club.
Surprised Rooney isn't already playing in the League tbf. Just goes to show football is a meritocracy as I'm sure his slightly famous brother would have helped him along otherwise.

Robbo's Shoulder

Supports
United and Barrow AFC
Bluebirds now 7pts clear with a game in hand.
Interesting fact someone posted on the forum is that Barrow were demoted from the football league the year the UK joined the common market, so promotion would make good symmetry.

Robbo's Shoulder

Supports
United and Barrow AFC
So confirmation just in that after a 48 year period of non league football. Barrow AFC have been promoted back to the football league as champions on a points per game basis.
I can't honestly believe it

CHAMPIONS!

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United
So confirmation just in that after a 48 year period of non league football. Barrow AFC have been promoted back to the football league as champions on a points per game basis.
I can't honestly believe it

CHAMPIONS!
Nice one mate! Had a great trip to your place for the Trophy game, result aside.

Still gutted our season ended like it did...

Robbo's Shoulder

Supports
United and Barrow AFC
Nice one mate! Had a great trip to your place for the Trophy game, result aside.

Still gutted our season ended like it did...
It's been a long old road mate, shame we can't celebrate properly as sharing the good days alongside fellow fans is so important in sport but promotion is the main thing.
Good luck for you lot going forward, always had a soft spot FCUM for obvious reasons.