The [non] use of Van de Beek - Ole's player?

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Bit weird how he's not really getting a sniff given the tactical flexibility he provides.

Why's he not getting playing time?

Acclimatization issues? Not impressing in training? Long term plan to slot him in? Rotation option?

There was some talk on here of the player being a Woodward signing and not an Ole one. Nothing to think much of from the outset, I'd say, but the games are coming thick and fast now and Van de Beek is proving to be our last option, which is a surprise, or is it?

El Zoido

We’re not even in November yet, it’s a long season. He’ll work his way in to the team I’m sure.

Skills

Snitch
We need to stop this shit about X, Y and Z being the managers player or not. Quite frankly, it doesn't matter at any other fecking club.

They need to get the feck on with their job and make best use of the resources at his hand.

PoTMS

Some bullshit excuse for why he's not got more than 40 minutes in total this season and yet James has had more than that in this game alone.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Fred’s good but McTominay should not be starting ahead of VdB

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Many said when he was signed that he was brought in to offer depth, and its looking like just that at the moment. He'll end the season with plenty games im sure.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Cemetery different kind of player. McT plays because he offers a lot defensively in midfield.

Castia

Something isn’t right

you don’t pay £40m then not use him. I’ve wondered if this was Ed’s signing and Ole didn’t need/want him.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I think he was signed mostly because fan uproar was at the highest; we hadn’t signed a single player and the league was about 3-4 weeks away, and Ajax were extremely easy to work with — player wanted the move, Ajax had a fee in mind, both clubs have a good relationship with each other.

Whether he was an “Ole player” or not, eh. I’m sure he was on the list and I doubt Ole was going to say ‘nah, not him’ when it looked very possible to do the deal.

He’s a good player though, and should definitely be playing more than what he has done.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
It's fine. We are not in the relegation zone yet. Keep supporting the club, be a top red, etc.,etc.

AshRK

Some bullshit excuse for why he's not got more than 40 minutes in total this season and yet James has had more than that in this game alone.
James and vdb play in different positions ffs

izec

Ole wanted Grealish, and then we landed with him. He is not better than Bruno/Pogba, and that is the position we want to use him in.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
Don't know, it was a lot of money to spend on a player when transfer budget was so slim.

I think all the signings made this summer, none of them were Oles' first choice (or even 2nd/3rd). Think, it's more our Scouts suggestion and players availability which made us sign certain players.

reelworld

I don't see anything that James can offer that VDB can't. James isn't even playing as a winger staying wide, he's coming in as well. Might as well put a much more superior passer in VDB

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
We're four league games into the season. He's competing with Bruno for the attacking midfield spot. Possibly also for a deeper midfield slot, but we're currently playing Fred and McTominay to give us some defensive solidarity after a horror defensive start to the season.

He'll get opportunities as the season progresses, and it'll be up to him to impress enough to then push for more.

Erics_Collar

It's clear Ole sees him as a rotation option for Bruno and no one else. If Bruno plays, Donny doesn't. Simple.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Well James is playing because Martial/Greenwood absence provides him opportunity.
We are stacked in mf so VdB will have to be patient. He has 5 years to make his mark

MZX7

@Vato @Varun @moses @Hectic @Solius
He should be started next league game alongside Fred or Matic.

spiriticon

VdB plays in Bruno's position doesn't he?

He's not going to displace Bruno.

neilv93

Neville was moaning about it on the Sky Sports commentary but I don't get it. It's a squad game. It was 0-0 and we were going for the win - why would we bring on VDB instead of Greenwood, or even Cavani or Pogba?

It's a long old season, Donny will get his chances. At the very least, it's refreshing to have a player of his quality sitting on the bench rather than the likes of Pereira or Lingard.

SER19

Hell play 30 plus times this season. Very early days

Zoo

It’s not weird at all. Look at the 3 players that actually came on and you’ll see why. We have competition for places.

Pepe, Fabinho, Naby Keita and more were all integrated gradually. Gary Neville as usual was trying to create drama when there is none.

lex talionis

Ludicrous decision by Ole to freeze out Donny this long. He’ll get his chance soon, but time is being wasted.

Dinghy

He competes with Pogba and Fernandes and they're both better than him. Pointless transfer, unless there's an injury crisis.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Been saying it for a few weeks now. I don't think all is well behind the scenes with Ole n Woodward. Don't think Ole wanted Donny at all.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Relax. Most of you have played football manager. You know how this goes with a deep squad.

AFC NimbleThumb

Will be fed to us as the Pogba replacement next season when they pocket the pennies on the pound we get for him.

From what I saw at Ajax a good player but a truly unnecessary purchase given other areas.

Woodenlung

Not so sure about Pogba being better than VDB on current form. The former had half an hour to influence the game today and did feck all.

tjb

Fred isn't good, he can't get the ball out of his feet quick enough for his role and he is poor when tasked with being the defensive midfielder. VDB and Fred would be a disaster. VDB and Mctominay may work, but it required VDB to adapt to premier league midfields

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Fred, McTominay and Mata deserved a chance as backups ahead of him and they've taken it. Bruno's too productive to drop, Pogba has too much potential to not have on the pitch one way or the other, and we need pace to complement the others. He was never going to slot straight into the first team because he was never that good. If we wanted a first team player in his position it would've been Grealish for twice the price. Not much to see really. None of the signings are Ole's players.

Tiber

He actually looks good when he does get on the pitch

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
I think he was signed mostly because fan uproar was at the highest; we hadn’t signed a single player and the league was about 3-4 weeks away, and Ajax were extremely easy to work with — player wanted the move, Ajax had a fee in mind, both clubs have a good relationship with each other.

Whether he was an “Ole player” or not, eh. I’m sure he was on the list and I doubt Ole was going to say ‘nah, not him’ when it looked very possible to do the deal.

He’s a good player though, and should definitely be playing more than what he has done.
We also needed the depth. You've seen the difference Bruno has made. If Bruno gets injured then what? VDB wil get his games but when Bruno is playing he won't be playing against a side like Chelsea when the squad is at good health.