The [non] use of Van de Beek - Ole's player?

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
Cant say i have watched much of him at Ajax, but from what i can read online he has played the majority of his games as a an out and out CM, with some cameos as AM and DM. Hes not taking Brunos spot, so that means hes really competing with Fred, McTomminay, Pogba and Matic for those two CM spots.

Nothing wrong with depth, but depth in CM was hardly the most pressing issue we had

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
If he was starting people would be complaining why another player isn't.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Cant say i have watched much of him at Ajax, but from what i can read online he has played the majority of his games as a an out and out CM, with some cameos as AM and DM. Hes not taking Brunos spot, so that means hes really competing with Fred, McTomminay, Pogba and Matic for those two CM spots.

Nothing wrong with depth, but depth in CM was hardly the most pressing issue we had
Hes primarily cover for Bruno, which was quite a pressing need in my opinion. I did think he'd have seen more minutes in CM thus far though I must admit.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
He's better than Fred, McTominay and Pogba in a double pivot IMO and has been deployed in such a role for Ajax numerous times. Below is one example against Chelsea in the UCL game at Stamford bridge last season. He's adept at applying pressure and would be ideal to initiate the wide pressing trap, similar to how Nagelsmann deploys Konrad Laimer at RB Leipzig to win the ball back by swarming the opposition wide receiver in a wolf like press.

I would personally even start him ahead of Bruno due to VdB's superior link up play and movement in the final third which would see us make better use of the ball. He's someone that would help us quicken the tempo and also defend from the front due to his high work rate and intelligence which would see him either trigger the high press or occupy the half space which would cut off passing lanes. He's tactically and technically proficient and would enhance team synergy going forward IMO.

Plays in a double pivot below at Stamford Bridge next to Lisandro Martinez with Ziyech deployed as the most advanced CAM. Promes and Neres occupying the wide roles with Tadic playing as the forward.

VdB v Chelsea in a advanced role for Ajax against Chelsea below in a 4-2-3-1 with Alvarez and Martinez in a double pivot with Tadic through the middle and Promes - Ziyech as the wide attackers.

This is the first time I see him in midfield and think maybe, just maybe, he could do a job next to McTominay. He won't be worse than Pogba I'm sure, but still there are some concerns whether he can cope physically.

From what I've seen before he looks OK in more advanced role. Definitely shouldn't be playing ahead of Bruno. Makes no sense to play him on the wings either if we're playing "conservative" fullbacks.

Not worried about him, he'll get his chances. He seems to be a player very reliable on others making the right move so he would've had zero impact yesterday against Chelsea.

SSSSnake

I feel the same way. VDB can play practically all our attacking positions. I have no issues with not subbing him on given we were going for a win. But he should already have been on the field instead of James. Even if United were playing counterattacking football, I am sure VDB can fit into that system as well given his footballing intelligence.
yeah I’m constantly baffled by Ole. As the manager he should be getting the best out of the players we have. I don’t buy into this s*** comparison with Fabinho. He’s come from the Dutch league not South America. He should be starting over DJ.

Thiagoal

I’m sure there was a very similar thread when Mourinho didn’t play Fred for months- he’s now a key player! Give VDB time; when he gets a proper opportunity I’m sure he’ll take it

zenith

He's a classy player and in time I'm certain that birth him and telles will establish themselves as first 11 players.

Would love to see him Fred play alongside each other in one of the games where we need to push on for a winner.

I really like the class that VDB brings. He'll be an excellent player for us

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
We had Cavani, Greenwood, Pogba and VDB on the bench. Only three could come on (which I personally think was ridiculous in this condensed season where we should have kept five subs like many other leagues have done).

Cavani and Greenwood are more direct goal threats, and Pogba had done very well in his recent sub performances while also bringing a better passing from deep option. So those three got the nod in this game. VDB will get it in another one.

yeah I’m constantly baffled by Ole. As the manager he should be getting the best out of the players we have. I don’t buy into this s*** comparison with Fabinho. He’s come from the Dutch league not South America. He should be starting over DJ.
Err, Fabinho came from the French league and had been in europe for 6 seasons. Whether he should be starting over James depends on how good he is out wide, which from memory transfermarkt says he's only done once in his career.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Jesus Christ mate, we've only played 8 games this season. Ziyech at Chelsea is being given exactly the same treatment and no one is complaining, it's just Sky and co making a big deal out of nothing.
Ziyech had no preseason and came from injury. The 2 situations are a little different

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Ziyech had no preseason and came from injury. The 2 situations are a little different
Yeah, I did get reminded of that and take that point. Still, no one is saying he's not going to get a chance at Chelsea now the team is more settled. Same with us, the team will change and develop over the season.

kouroux

Yeah, I did get reminded of that and take that point. Still, no one is saying he's not going to get a chance at Chelsea now the team is more settled. Same with us, the team will change and develop over the season.
I think asking this premature question about VDB stems from the frustration of seeing Dan James start. Like you said, he will get plenty of playing time and once Martial finishes his suspension and Cavani gets fitter, Dan James will be forgotten for a while.
VDB looked good the few times he played already and the hope was a simple continuation of that. I understand the frustration but the season has barely started

Member 90887

I think that it's just that the type of games we had made Ole chose players and a tactic in which VDB does not have a place (for now).

Nobody is moaning about Pogba and he is having the same problem as VDB lately. Completely fit, but does not suit the system we are playing against our latest opponents. Firmly believe that he will have the chance and take it.

People just have to be patient and not create a problem out of thin air. If it wasn't VDB, we would be talking about another player now.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Jesus Christ mate, we've only played 8 games this season. Ziyech at Chelsea is being given exactly the same treatment and no one is complaining, it's just Sky and co making a big deal out of nothing.
Ziyech hasn't been fit and injured for 6 or 7 of the 8 games tbf.

Ibi Dreams

I’m sure there was a very similar thread when Mourinho didn’t play Fred for months- he’s now a key player! Give VDB time; when he gets a proper opportunity I’m sure he’ll take it
I am positive that Fred went far longer than this without getting played much at all. I think this thing with Van de Beek is such a non story right now, and I'm pretty confident he'll start one of the next few games

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I think asking this premature question about VDB stems from the frustration of seeing Dan James start. Like you said, he will get plenty of playing time and once Martial finishes his suspension and Cavani gets fitter, Dan James will be forgotten for a while.
VDB looked good the few times he played already and the hope was a simple continuation of that. I understand the frustration but the season has barely started
I'm definitely with you and the rest being disappointed he's not been used as much yet, and agree with what you've said. I just think it's overblown to say he will be looking to leave based off how his career has started here.

Ziyech hasn't been fit and injured for 6 or 7 of the 8 games tbf.
I do take that point, I just don't think he'll be looking to leave based off this and he will have plenty of opportunities when we look of what the likes of Pereira and lingard got last season.

kouroux

I'm definitely with you and the rest being disappointed he's not been used as much yet, and agree with what you've said. I just think it's overblown to say he will be looking to leave based off how his career has started here.

I do take that point, I just don't think he'll be looking to leave based off this and he will have plenty of opportunities when we look of what the likes of Pereira and lingard got last season.
He will wanna leave already if he is a weak minded player which I don't think he is. His time will come, he will have to grab these opportunities

Mainoldo

Send him back to Ajax it’s just a waste of everyone’s time. Should have used that money and just got Sancho or Grealish. Atleast we wouldn’t of had to see Dan James yesterday.

Odin

It seems VDB is a rotational option for Bruno (CAM) and Pogba (LAM/CAM). If need be, he'll even be the long term replacement for one of them. When we need to tighten up defensively, two of Fred, Matic and McT make up the double pivot. In such games the CAM position is likely to go to Bruno, Pogba or VDB - in that pecking order.

Mata has earned a shot at playing RAM/RW as an option to Greenwood. VDB might cover for this position as well.
The left belongs to Rashford, and it appears that our managers believe James can cover for him. Many fans complain heavily when players are played out of their position, for a reason...

It looks like the club want to ease in both VDB and Pogba (for different reasons) in their favoured positions this season, rather than chucking them in and see if they float. Maybe they are onto something?

I guess we'll see when we get deeper into the league and CL group stages. I don't buy the narrative that OGS don't want to make use of VDB though. We're only five games into the league, had no pre-season, and there is a lot of stress testing and man management going on.

jesperjaap

Personally, he is a new signing and it is six games, just SIX games into the season. So on one hand it is being blown out of proportion caused partly by the words of his agent which were ridiculous and causing this rift.

If the same situation is happening at Chritmas and into the new year then complain, for now just stfu and buckle down.

On the other hand his main poaistion is AMC....of course Fernandes starts over him. His other postitions are central midfield and the last couple of games we have been playing a defensive duo in there, so that will change. Personally, currently though I would pick him ahead of Pogba who has been poor (and rightly benched) and I would have played him ahead of Fred agains Chelsea to cycle the ball quicker against the CHelsea press.

He has no right to think himself a starter though, at a new club and he has the best player at the club to compete with in one position and several midfielders in the other,

I would go back though to Grealish as the other link who can play Fernandes cover and left wing and even right wing....at this moment would have been better cover as no Dan James or others startign so much, whether that changes when Diallo arrives we shall see, but VDB WAS a squad signing to compete for a starting place and its 6 games in, he wasnt a game changing signing, nobody said that at the time

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
He’s been bought as a depth insurance in case Bruno is tired or injured. He won’t be starting many games aside from that I think. Similar to Telles who will be playing mainly when we decide to go with three at the back but won’t displace Shaw in 433 or 451.

Josep Dowling

I can understand him not starting against Chelsea because you need two holding midfielders against the top teams.

But he has had ample opportunity to start him against weaker opposition, and especially when Pogba was playing so badly. Van de Beek has impressed when he has played, same with Henderson and Tuanzebe. Yet none get to start the next game.

In my mind you should be rewarded for playing well and remove the players that haven’t performed. Ole hasn’t done that with some players.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
He'll feature more as the season progresses and I predict he'll start in midweek.
Still, early days and I have no issue at the moment with our use of him.

Bondi77

Won’t be long before he is the first bench option before Pogba.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Knee jerk Cafe strikes again. He’s a good player and he will get his chances in time. For once Utd actually have a deep squad so it’s normal he’s being rotated to begin with.

Litch

If he was Ole's signing, he plays. I think Ole wanted Grealish instead but the board went with him as sometimes these kind of signings cement your business relationship with the selling clubs. Was a no brainier, probably sell him for the same money if it doesn't work out and we have a workable relationship with Ajax with any other future stars....

Our fans...

Lads he's a new kids on the block, tough epl adjustment etc.

You guys started to blame ed? Or ole doesnt want him?
plastic fans.

Want everything now.

Have no concept of tomorrow, or next week, or next month. It’s now or never.

‘fans’ actually thinking he waits to leave.

seriously, the caf has such a weak mentality. Such a non-resilient mindset.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
plastic fans.

Want everything now.

Have no concept of tomorrow, or next week, or next month. It’s now or never.

‘fans’ actually thinking he waits to leave.

seriously, the caf has such a weak mentality. Such a non-resilient mindset.
As silly as it sounds, you're right. This place loses its marbles so easily and quickly.

Bestietom

Send him back to Ajax it’s just a waste of everyone’s time. Should have used that money and just got Sancho or Grealish. Atleast we wouldn’t of had to see Dan James yesterday.
Sure we might as well send Maguire, Cavani, Ighalo, Telles, Lindelof,James, and Henderson back also. Although I like VdB I don't think he was the most important one we needed. We had enough for the position he plays. A DM or CB would have been more important.

Khalif_20

Always suspected that this deal is unnecessary luxury for rotation. Ed bought VdB because he was easy to buy, that's all there is to it.

For 10 minute cameos and starting appearances in Carabao Cup, we could have used someone younger with much higher ceiling - Hannibal Mejbri.

Should have used those VdB funds to get the Sancho deal done instead.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
He will wanna leave already if he is a weak minded player which I don't think he is. His time will come, he will have to grab these opportunities
Yeah, I don't think he is and I think he's very much the kind that will earn his spot when he's given the opportunity.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Was always an odd signing for me in a position where we are arguably at our strongest.
We have lots of midfielders, but they don't all play the same game. If Bruno gets injured we had nobody, Pogba out we have nobody. Mata has his uses but only sparingly. Pereira has gone, Lingard is injured, Garner and Levitt are out on loan. He obviously sees Matic, Fred and McTominay as playing a certain role. None of them are particularly creative and Fred is a danger if he take a shot. We needed the depth there, it is no Donny's fault if Matt Judge and Co did not get him DM, but to say we didn't need Donny is wrong, we need both. Donny is intelligent, creative and capable of getting goals.

Last edited:

Bestietom

You know what will happen? He will just do what he did last season and play Bruno, then when

We have lots of midfielders, but they don't all play the same game. If Bruno gets injured we had nobody, Pogba out we have nobody. Mata has his uses but only sparingly. Pereira has gone, Lingard is injured, Garner and Levitt are out on loan. He obviously sees Matic, Fred and McTominay as playing a certain role. None of them are particularly creative and Fred is a danger if he take a shot. We needed the depth there, it is no Donny's fault if Matt Judge and Co did not get him DM, but to say we didn't need Donny is wrong, we need both. Donny is intelligent, creative and capable of getting goals.
I like DvB and he can also play Pogba role as well as Bruno role, but in some games we may be able to try play the 3 together instead of Fred and Mctominay as a pivot 2 in front of back 4.
Try Pogba and VdB there with Bruno more forward. VdB has a great engine, very seldom loses the ball, and can get up and down the pitch much better than McTominay.

Tibs

Ole won't use him because it will highlight how he's getting it wrong with him team selection/formations/tactics

GledTheRed

DVB is a great player but the guys he is battling for playtime with are arguably our most talented players.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
DVB is a great player but the guys he is battling for playtime with are arguably our most talented players.
Pogba is talented when he can be bothered. Bruno will likely be used until his performances drop when it matters. McTominay more talented. Give me a break. He plays for United because he came through the ranks. He has nowhere near the technique of VDB neither does Fred. Matic who is better than both of them is not even being picked.