The Oasis Draft - R1: EAP vs BIG DUNK

With players at their career peak, who would win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
EAP

BIG DUNK

EAP Tactics

Formation: 4-3-2-1

Tactics: Compact defence, easy and quick transitions to attack.

A solid defensive line with two versatile and balanced fullbacks. Three dynamic midfielders who will contribute both in offensive and defensive phases. A lethal attacking trio comfortable both inside and outside to keep defences guessing.

BIG DUNK Tactics

Allow no space or penetration on the LEFT FLANK: the great Antonio Cabrini supported by enforcer Dave Mackay and covered by the hard-tackling Roberto Rosato.
RIGHT FLANK: the complete Manuel Amoros plays alongside Rolls-Royce defender Ciro Ferrara, supported with highly competitive Patrick Vieira in midfield.
CENTRE: Ciro Ferrara and Roberto Rosato can take up the hardest man-marking duties if needed. Both comfortable in the air, wide or on the ball. Their masterful positioning, tackling and reading of the game, combined with Matthias Sammer’s covering, defensive leadership and control in the sweeper role makes the backline water-tight. Gordon Banks stands between the sticks, possessing supernatural reflexes and is a calming presence.

CENTRAL DOMINANCE in midfield: Dave Mackay and Patrick Vieira will ensure I win the mental and physical battle in midfield. Both are fine passers, adding tenacity and aggression to a defensively solid platform. Their complete game is combined with the playmaking genius of Günter Netzer. Their passing and long ball distribution added to their defensive game will help keep us in control in both the attacking and defensive phase. Sammer will join the midfield to create endless passing triangles, further defensive quality and direct vertical movement. Mackay will provide excellent covering when Sammer/our wingback push forward/are high.

SAMMER AND NETZER combining: this will be art. Their movement and passing will break any defensive line and will be hard to contain and mark. Ronaldo and Rummenigge will create space for Sammer - and even the wingbacks can underlap my forwards if they play wide.

FEED RONALDO and RUMMENIGGE: crosses (both low driven, lofted and high) will be delivered by our wingbacks, Cabrini and Amoros. Günter Netzer will be able to find the wingbacks and front two all day, delivering an array of perfectly weighted passes, whipped crosses and accurate through-balls.

MIXED TEMPO: We can play a patient possession game, dictated by the Magic Square of Sammer-Mackay-Vieira-Netzer, with Amoros and Cabrini attacking down the flanks OR prove deadly on the counter: our wingbacks, box-to-box Vieira, Netzer, Rummenigge and Ronaldo will be deadly on the fast counter / direct passing vertical transition.

DANGEROUS on flanks: Amoros will overlap Rummenigge and Cabrini will overlap Ronaldo. The Amoros-Rummenigge and Cabrini-Ronaldo combinations will overwhelm the opponent’s fullbacks.

Moreover, both Cristiano Ronaldo and Karl-Heinz Rummenigge, complete forwards, will have the freedom to move wide, cut in from the wing, play central, drive through the middle or play off / create chances for eachother.

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!
Didn't realize the monster big dunk was building in the drafting phase, but wow, that is a couple of reinforcements away from dominating the draft.

Edgar with his usual gig of unusual formations and this one is definitely beautiful. Puskas and Mazzola are perfect choices for those roles in the Christmas tree. Probably can have a more attacking right back than Bossis.

Dunk still aces this game though in my eyes purely on average players quality. Wins my vote.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
@BIG DUNK
Really good team, that back three is very, very well designed. Ferrara is a wonderful player, we have seriously considered picking him. I think he might still be underrated, especially his abilities on the ball.

The one element I'm not really sold on is Netzer as the third highest player - but at the same time that's a crucial piece of your construct. Can you elaborate a bit on what he's supposed to do, how & where he will operate?

-----
@Edgar Allan Pillow has built the most christmas-treey christmas tree formation I've ever seen.

BIG DUNK

Tank
@BIG DUNKThe one element I'm not really sold on is Netzer as the third highest player - but at the same time that's a crucial piece of your construct. Can you elaborate a bit on what he's supposed to do, how & where he will operate?
Yes, in no way would this be Netzer’s ‘most average position’ on the pitch (Sammer’s position perhaps misleading too!). As the playmaker he will conduct from the middle, also combining/dovetailing with M.Sammer (one of the most effective sweepers/liberos of modern football).

Netzer is our ‘attacking midfielder’ of the trio in the middle though - prime Vieira more box to box and Mackay the complete defensive midfielder. Perhaps I need more arrows!

With Vieira-Sammer-Mackay behind him, Netzer has the tactical freedom/licence to: play from deep, drive forward with the ball in advanced positions, have a lower defensive workrate and stay higher than my other central/defensive midfielders. His vision is very special, so I’m sure he will supply Ronaldo and Rummenigge perfect delivery, and maximise my wingback’s offensive potential with his distributions outwide.

Netzer, Sammer, Ronaldo and Rummenigge will be incredibly hard to stop/mark/contain as they are not limited to one area of the pitch.

However, the defensive square of Rosato-Ferrara-Mackay-Vieira is more structured/disciplined in shape (flanked by my two complete wingbacks). What ever attacker(s) find themselves in that square of death are mince meat.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
@BIG DUNK

Netzer (as I understand him) would need to have a looong arrow backwards on the team sheet, to an area that's already packed with teammates. Perhaps he would have been ideal in Vieira's place, with a more offensive #10 in front. The way it is, I feel all midfielders (plus Sammer) like to start from deep and push up, rather than receive the ball in the final third. But such a natural final third presence might have been valuable as a link between buildup & the forwards, and between Ronaldo & Rummenigge themselves.

It's really the only concern I have with a beautifully drafted team, albeit not a small one.

BIG DUNK

Tank
@BIG DUNK which version of Ronaldo is this? Early Madrid or late Madrid
The older Ronaldo with less defensive workrate, playing more central, perfect finishing, more deadly in air, improved crossing, elite positioning and refined movement, slower (but still rapid) and ultimately the full culmination of his unbreakable mentalities, experience and match-winning intangibles.

Moby

Dick
The older Ronaldo with less defensive workrate, playing more central, perfect finishing, more deadly in air, improved crossing, elite positioning and refined movement, slower (but still rapid) and ultimately the full culmination of his unbreakable mentalities, experience and match-winning intangibles.
I think @Peyroteo would ask you to marry him after reading that.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Netzer (as I understand him) would need to have a looong arrow backwards on the team sheet, to an area that's already packed with teammates. Perhaps he would have been ideal in Vieira's place, with a more offensive #10 in front.
Come on, he also scored more than 10 goals in 6 of his BL season, reaching 17 goals twice. Yes, he was a number 10 that regularly dropped deeper, but he was very much a number 10 and the idea of having another number 10 in front of him is (well, in my opinion) simply ludicrous.

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!
Come on, he also scored more than 10 goals in 6 of his BL season, reaching 17 goals twice. Yes, he was a number 10 that regularly dropped deeper, but he was very much a number 10 and the idea of having another number 10 in front of him is (well, in my opinion) simply ludicrous.
I don't think 3-5-2 is the best setup for him to be honest. Would rather have someone more expansive with a wider final third range rather than a midfield range. I don't mind him as well in the hole but in a 4-2-3-1

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
#10 not in terms of player type, just of that particular position in this 3-4-1-2. I simply think a third forward type of player would have been better in the mix, as my impression of Netzer is that he likes to start out attacks with the game well in front of him. And that he'd benefit from a bit more final third presence ahead of him.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
wow what a result, it was close as feck IMO and if dunk used an earlier version of madrids Ronaldo id voted for edgar

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
13:0 is a surprising result, personally I struggled to separate the teams.