The Oasis Draft - R1: Michaelf7 vs Jim Beam

With players at their career peak, who would win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Michaelf7

Jim Beam

Michaelf7 Tactics

My team will play a 1970's Ajax and Netherlands inspired Total Football 4-3-3. My players are all comfortable on the ball. My wingers will alternate between attacking wide and cutting inside. My most obscure player is libero Hans-Jurgen Dorner who was known as the Beckenbauer of the East and was East German footballer of the year 3 times (1977, 1984 and 1985).

Jim Beam Tactics

Tactics: 4-2-3-1 giving the main stage to one of the greatest players of all time in Franz Beckenbauer. A brilliant defender, able to proactively read game situations like few of his peers and reactively win the ball back from even the best forwards when required. And the man who always knew to play the right pass, even under enormous pressure. A homage to 1972, even 1974 tournament if you like which were the undoubted pinnacle of his brilliant career.

Well, how appropriate then is to have a favorite rival on the other side in Johan Cruyff.

Instructions: Defend as a team and be compact at all times. As soon as ball is lost, drop deeper with practically a 4-5-1 where Totti and especially both wingers will help to close any threats. When in possession, force the opponent on the back foot with quick interchanges and Der Keiser pushing in the middle. This team is highly dangerous either through their wingers, either through the middle or through van Nistelrooy kiss of death in the penalty box.

Der Kaiser will be played in a back 4 which will allow him to dictate the game from the back being surrounded with Kohler and Bergomi of all people. On the left-back is highly reliable and balanced fullback in Kenny Sansom, one of Arsenal and England legends. The midfield is equipped with two dynamic CM in Schweinsteiger and Pirri of which 'Fußballgott' will play more of a holding role allowing Pirri to march forward when space opens up.

The front 4 is concluded with Francesco Totti, Zoltan Czibor, Tom Finney and Ruud van Nistelrooy as the fox in a box or a Müller lite in this game.

Michaelf7777777

(∪。∪)。。。zzz
Info on Dorner please @Michaelf7777777
As I mentioned in my write-up, he was known as the Beckenbauer of the East and won the East German footballer of the year 3 times including 2 years in a row. In 1999, he was consistently nominated as one of the best 3 libero's in Germany in the 20th century alongside Becknbauer and Sammer.

As a player, here are two descriptions I have been able to find:

From https://translate.google.co.nz/tran...peoples.ru/sport/football/dorner/&prev=search

Distinctive features of Dörner were excellent vision of the field, delivered blow, good physical readiness. An important advantage was that he read the game perfectly, foresaw the development of the opponent’s attacks, and played at the interception. In a word, Dörner was a very smart footballer. In addition, he possessed outstanding leadership qualities, Dörner was the captain in the Dynamo and in the national team of the GDR. In addition, he was distinguished by the correct game - he rarely received cards. But most importantly, what he made admirers of the fans admire, his game was distinguished by amazing elegance. He acted, literally, with his head held high, he knew how to take the ball away, he could beat several opponents at once, which almost brought the coaches to a heart attack, constantly connected to the attacks, and distributed elegant passes to his partners. Because of his playing style, he was called Beckenbauer from the East, thus comparing him to Franz Beckenbauer himself. Dörner was a favorite of fans and journalists - always open for conversation, sharp on the tongue.
and from http://www.pesmitidelcalcio.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=2615

I saw many great defenders over the years and years, but the only one who impressed me more than Dörner was Gaetano Scirea the best defender in history. Dörner was very versatile player, capable of playing in any position on pitch with fantastic sense of positioning and anticipating. Not very strong physically and pretty short (175 cm) for defender, but his technique was brillant, his passes from the back excellent, speed very good and his dribbling slaloms were legendary. He had also strong shot, was able to score from free kicks, always very calm under pressure, never panic when in ball possession and his vision was outstanding.

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!
Bad draw. Both teams deserve to go through.

Michael's front 6 is so good. Especially the wing forwards who are perfect for the setup. The defense certainly could be better.

Jim's team looks amongst the best teams of the draft even after his Evra feckup.

GodShaveTheQueen

@Jim Beam

Is anyone tracking Cruyff? Kaiser didn't do that in 1974. Is he taking that role here or is it all zonal and no man marking?

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
As I mentioned in my write-up, he was known as the Beckenbauer of the East and won the East German footballer of the year 3 times including 2 years in a row. In 1999, he was consistently nominated as one of the best 3 libero's in Germany in the 20th century alongside Becknbauer and Sammer.

As a player, here are two descriptions I have been able to find:

From https://translate.google.co.nz/tran...peoples.ru/sport/football/dorner/&prev=search

and from http://www.pesmitidelcalcio.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=2615
Thanks mate, interesting read on someone I don't think I've ever seen picked before

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Bad draw. Both teams deserve to go through.

Michael's front 6 is so good. Especially the wing forwards who are perfect for the setup. The defense certainly could be better.

Jim's team looks amongst the best teams of the draft even after his Evra feckup.
It's a fantastic draw, Cruyff vs Beckenbauer.
On a match, I firmly believe (with deepest respect to Michael) that I have more firepower upfront and more ability to hold in the back. To put it simply.

Totti who can be marked, but will drag Voronin around with his style of play, a decoy of sort (at least). Wingers who are team players, but individually fantastic. His midfield who will come at Keiser or be at back foot.

Hamrin vs Samson? Kenny was better then Evra defensively, but weaker going forward. Here he has Czibor in defensive line to help too.

Too subjective? Probably, but most points stand.

GodShaveTheQueen

Hamrin vs Samson? Kenny was better then Evra defensively, but weaker going forward. Here he has Czibor in defensive line to help too.
I haven't watched Samson in particular to be honest, I'll catch some game tomorrow.

On Czibor though, he will be less than useless in the defensive line. I have picked him so many times, watched him multiple times, many times looking for his off the ball game. His usual game was to wait for the ball to be won and then be an outlet for launching attacks (like with Finney who hardly put his foot in or closed down but revelled in the outlet role)

GodShaveTheQueen

Well, we'll have to disagree on that point young man.
That is okay (although I am pretty confident I am right). That wouldn't have any significant impact on the game anyways.

I am more interested in hearing on this. Probably my biggest talking point on the game.
@Jim Beam

Is anyone tracking Cruyff? Kaiser didn't do that in 1974. Is he taking that role here or is it all zonal and no man marking?

Jim Beam

That is okay (although I am pretty confident I am right). That wouldn't have any significant impact on the game anyways.

I am more interested in hearing on this. Probably my biggest talking point on the game.
Like man marking him? No, absolutely not. Woule be suicide. Bergomi follows until the next man steps in.

Bastian upfront, Bergomi on his left side, Keiser and Kohler in the middle. Just no. He can go in that compact congested area every time.

And maybe not so popular opinion. Cruyff would kill Vogts if that game happens today.

GodShaveTheQueen

Like man marking him? No, absolutely not. Woule be suicide. Bergomi follows until the next man steps in.

Bastian upfront, Bergomi on his left side, Keiser and Kohler in the middle. Just no. He can go in that compact congested area every time.

And maybe not so popular opinion. Cruyff would kill Vogts if that game happens today.
Thanks for the explanation.

I'll check up on the game and vote tomorrow.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
This is really close. Both teams setups make sense on their own and the quality even. My thinking it might come down to Czibor vs Ramos and Hamrin vs Samson. They seem the best routes for penetration for both sides

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Overmars on the left?

Jim Beam

This is really close. Both teams setups make sense on their own and the quality even. My thinking it might come down to Czibor vs Ramos and Hamrin vs Samson. They seem the best routes for penetration for both sides
You don't have this record being average

A record 10 times in a row. Now I don't wanna attack Ramos at RB as I rate him high, but if you wondered Kenny who?

Physiocrat

Has No Mates

A record 10 times in a row. Now I don't wanna attack Ramos at RB as I rate hime high, but if you wondered Kenny who?
Have you any vids on Samson? I'm not saying he's average but just a bit of a mismatch.

Overmars on the left?
He played there for Arsenal. He could play both sides.

Jim Beam

Have you any vids on Samson? I'm not saying he's average but just a bit of a mismatch.
A mismatch? He was part of best defensive unit in WC 1982 with 1 goal in 6 matches conceded. One of those against West Germany with Kaltz and Kalle over him.

I don't have a video. He is best English left-back until Ashley Cole came up. I know he is a suspect here, but even if you doubt him I have Koller, Beckenbauer and Bergomi in that back line. He's done better with much worse.

GodShaveTheQueen

A record 10 times in a row. Now I don't wanna attack Ramos at RB as I rate him high, but if you wondered Kenny who?
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/PFA_Team_of_the_Year

The wiki page for PFA TOTY actually has Samson as their display picture. Tell me you didn't do that :lol:

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
A mismatch? He was part of best defensive unit in WC 1982 with 1 goal in 6 matches conceded. One of those against West Germany with Kaltz and Kalle over him.

I don't have a video. He is best English left-back until Ashley Cole came up. I know he is a suspect here, but even if you doubt him I have Koller, Beckenbauer and Bergomi in that back line. He's done better with much worse.
The rest of your defence is incredible. That is a very good record in the '82 World Cup.

@oneniltothearsenal Do you have any other info on Samson?

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Love both teams, extremely hard to tell.

Michael's Total Football setup looks convincing (with Neuer in his element as well), and that in itself is a plus for me. But I can look back and forth between the teams and see areas, matchups, strengths, weaknesses were I prefer one side in some aspects, the other in others.

Btw, Michael legally picking Laudrup (joined Juve in '83) & Tardelli (left Juve in '85) is the No Mates stunt of the tournament for me.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
The rest of your defence is incredible. That is a very good record in the '82 World Cup.

@oneniltothearsenal Do you have any other info on Samson?
Aye @oneniltothearsenal would like to hear your thoughts on Kenny
He came up with Palace, first selected to the PFA Third Div team of the year in 1976-77 then 2nd Div. Team of the Year 1977-78 and 78-79 and 1st Div. Team of the Year for Palace winning their player of the season twice so that is someone showing remarkable ability to claim through the leagues like that, then he transferred to Arsenal and own the left back position for England and team of the year until 1988. That is really a remarkable accomplishment and if he played for Liverpool at that time he'd probably be considered the greatest LB ever from England. He had some massive games for Arsenal like the 1987 Littlewoods Cup final against Liverpool who had been dominating domestic competition with Ian Rush and Jack Charlton called Sansom the Man of the Match. That's pretty much 10 years of him being the top left back in England. I'd take him over Cashley and any other English LB for a match that my life depended on because he was just solid defensively and not a bad overlapper either.

He could certainly handle a winger of Hamrin's quality and potentially shut him out completely in a match like this in a backline with Kohler and Beckenbauer.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Played there regularly, as far as I can tell. Pretty much ambidextrous as well.
Fair enough, I only really knew of post 94 world Cup and Arsenal /Barca period, mostly played on the right then.

GodShaveTheQueen

His best at left was at Ajax.

His link up and chemistry with Bergkamp was also great when he played from left at Arsenal.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Fair enough, I only really knew of post 94 world Cup and Arsenal /Barca period, mostly played on the right then.
There are a few compilations around on youtube, I think he plays on the left in most of them. Well worth watching imo, smart, skilled & versatile winger.