The Oasis Draft - R1: Moby vs Ecstatic

With players at their career peak, who would win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Moby

Ecstatic

Moby's Tactics

Overall Team:
  • High intensity counter attacking setup.
  • Two Italian rocks as pillars of defense.
  • Two of the most famous man markers (both for marking Cruyff) man the flanks behind.
  • Greatest Defensive midfielder of all time in Rijkaard shielding the defense.
  • The best box-to-box player of all time in Matthaus running the show in midfield.
  • Netto completing the juggernaut midfield with his dynamic engine making it an unbeatable outfit.
  • Two flamboyant wide forwards on either side.
  • Stoichkov and Futre both goal threats from out wide with tremendous dribbling, control and creativity.
  • An all round centre forward in Shevchenko.
Overall Tactics:
  • Relying on the strong defensive foundation and the defensive nous of midfield to keep teams out and play on the counter.
  • Both Camacho and Vogts are incredible man markers and defensive stoppers in defense, making it a watertight unit. We will be defending in a compact backline and expanding when going forward.
  • Great ball players across the park and at the back to launch quick counters.
  • Rijkaard excelled under Sacchi which was one of the best counter attacking outfits, similar to Matthaus at Inter which was as counter attacking as it gets with Netto's two way game suiting this tactic as well. Overall, the midfield is brilliantly suited to this tactic and it will bring the best out of their game.
  • Matthaus and Netto providing goal threats from midfield. Matthaus' late runs into the box and powerful shots will be a huge threat.
  • Wide forwards will be playing with their stronger feet towards goal, hence making the counter attacks more effective and both will be cutting in to score on their individual flanks.
  • Both wide forwards have electric pace and again well suited to a direct counter strategy.
  • Sheva was a brilliant goalscorer in Milan which was another counter attacking team and had searing pace and direct running with quality control, quick link up play and a deadly eye for goal with both feet. He will relish playing up front in this team as the centre forward.

Ecstatic's Tactics

Club - Red Tiger Football Team
Star Player - Eusebio, the Red Tiger

Coach - Red Guardiola
Philosophy - Modernized and revisited Zona Mista taking the best out of the other ecstatic philosophies
Tiger Attack - Sorry, I don't see better duo in this draft. Harmonious duo who speaks the same language
Football IQ Midfield - Vision, ball retention, intelligence, impossible passing skills
Defence - Dream Team flexibility
Location - Milan because Red Guardiola will coach Milan in 2025 after taking some money in Paris and because the Architect Pirlo is based there

HENRY - Pace, Goals, Winner, Killer Instinct -He cannot dream better partners.
Captain EUSEBIO - Legend - the best equivalent of the Brazilian Ronaldo in terms of style of play
GIGGS - 1997/99 version -Dribbling skills and fantastic work-rate and team spirit.
KALTZ - more defensive than Giggs but I rate highly his offensive contribuion.
OVERATH - a kind of offensive play who looks like a creative box-to-box
MODRIC - his 100 facts make this player amazing - Incredible career and evolution at all levels
PIRLO - Inspiring Commander
Left-Back/Centre Back - DE BOER - See Ajax
Right-Back/Centre Back - ANGLOMA - See Milan-Marseille in 93
Sweeper - MORTEN OLSEN - Perfect mindset and skillset in my plan
GK - ZUBIzARETTA - He played with Red Guardiola in a Dream Team

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Not really convinced Pirlo-Overath midfield. Too many playmakers and not really Pirlo peak.

Less convinced about Eusebio-Henry as I'd prefer someone more in the box playing with Henry, but this is more of a personal preference, I admit.

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!
My vote is in the balance right now.

Angloma and De Boer seem good structural fits against Stoichkov and Future, so the aggressive system is not bound for disaster.

But then I don't see the need for Pirlo at all in this setup. Sure he offers playmaking from deep but there is hardly any lack of playmakers in the team.

Rijkaard was an important cog in Van Gaal's Ajax for example and although this is not exactly a replica, you do need a similar figure here instead of Pirlo.

Of course, the lack of a number 10 in the opposition makes it look just about okay, but Matthaus can change that in a matter of seconds.

I would have voted for Ecstatic if there was someone other than Pirlo. Would have voted Moby if the fullbacks were more attacking as that would most likely break Ecstatic's thin defense.

Matthaus still the most likely match winner here but it's close enough for me to call it a draw.

GodShaveTheQueen

- defence protection
- organizational skills
Don't rate Pirlo based on those skills off the ball. My opinion of course, I know people who do rate those attributes too in him.

Why should I need a player similar to Rijkaard while my team is not similar at all to Van Gaal's Ajax from a tactical perspective?
Because any 3 man defense will leak goals without such a figure.

Grande Inter had Bedin, Ajax 1995 had Rijkaard. Both completely different setups but needed the same kind of shield.

Last edited:

GodShaveTheQueen

Are the opposing central defenders the best ones to keep the Tigers under control? Sorry but I dont think so :)
This I agree with. Forgot to mention in my analysis but Matthaus and your front duo cancelled each other out.

Don't agree with Edgar's odd assessment on Henry too. Eusebio Henry is as good as it gets after Ro-Ro

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
I was wondering what the feck @Ecstatic was doing during the drafting when he was stockpiling attackers with no regard for defence but I actually really like the finished product. The front two is exceptional obviously. Giggs is fine in that role as his workrate and tackling is leagues above many of the other great wingers, and his deeper starting position arguably makes for a better fit with Henry than a more orthodox role. The side CBs are good fits for the role too.

I don't like saying it as he invariably ends up as a liability in draft matches but it's Pirlo who looked out of place here. With due respect for Overath and Modric's off the ball abilities, that defence* and the side midfielders just don't look quite good enough to accommodate Pirlo given the quality they're facing. It was hard to look beyond Matthaus deciding the game here.

* I never really liked de Boer, but Angloma was a good and underrated player and Olsen really impressed me when researching him. They're both the type and calibre of player that I expect everyone else to respect when I pick them, yet typically overlook a bit myself when someone else picks them :o

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Ecstatic's side looked like a homage to Van Gaal's late 1990s Barcelona - De Boer in the same role, Pirlo in the Guardiola gig, shoogly defence, tidy midfield, barnstorming attack.