The Oasis Draft R1: Physiocrat/Synco vs Indnyc

With players at their career peak, who would win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff

-- TEAM PHYSIOCRAT/SYNCO--------------------------- TEAM INDNYC-------

Physiocrat/Synco

Formation - 433

Defensive Line Balanced

Marking - Zonal

Style - broadly direct, fast transition attacks if possible, with a focus on the wings. However, we are perfectly capable of slowing it down and playing with a more possession orientated style. The front three are hardworking, so they will engage in some counter pressing to allow the rest of the team to reorganise.

The front three will play in a fluid manner: Best was comfortable across the front line, as was Gullit, and Riva began as a left winger. Riva and Best will make it especially difficult for Viv Anderson. Both fullbacks can provide balance, cover and offensive support, just as the situation requires.

Gullit will provide a unique problem for Cole with his pace, power, strength, and dribbling ability. His job is to track Cole when out of possession, and target his side when in attack. Besides counting on Gullit's attacking prowess, we aim to stifle an important offensive factor on the wings for Indnyc.

Best is, well, Best. Besides targeting Anderson in direct duels, he will track him if he goes forward.

Riva is a striker who is criminally underrated in some quarters. The all-time leading Italian national team goalscorer with 35 goals in 42 games, he was a mobile, hardworking, complete striker; testament to his peak powers are his Ballon d'Or placements between 1968 and 1970, where he finished 6th, 2nd and 3rd. Cannavaro and Desailly will have their hands full.

Suarez will create from midfield and join the attack to score and assist, as well as providing defensive work to defend the center. Gascoigne, the man who marked Matthäus out of the game in the Italia '90 WC semis, will keep his eye on (not man mark) Coluna, in addition to unleashing his excellent dribbling and passing skills. Suarez, Gascoigne and De Rossi have the tactical awareness, mobility and workrate to minimise the influence of Platini.

Abidal's experience at CB is well suited to Bene, as the latter was really more of a striker; Abidal is more than comfortable tucking in. To his right, the forwards meet the imperious wall of Tresor and Stam. McGrain will provide a tough test for Keizer. If anyone gets past these, they must pass Bayern legend, IFFS goalkeeper of the year '87, and FIFA All-star keeper Jean-Marie Pfaff.

Indnyc

Tactics - Magic Square of France '84. Platini with a free role with Bene and Keizer playing as wide forwards

Good luck, @Physiocrat @Indnyc

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Indy sets up as expected. There are at least two problems in his system -

1st. Piet Keiser was more of a classic winger than you would want in this inside left position. His inclination would be to go outside rather than inside which is not what you want in this setup.

2nd. Viv Anderson is not the attacking type of full-back you want in a diamond esque system especially when behind Bene who was more of a striker than a right winger.

Viv Anderson is also a problem in that he is up against George Best. This is not going to end well for him.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Keizer has a decent scoring record for Ajax to be fair, something close to 1 in 2. Although he won't be my preferred choice as a left forward.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Keizer has a decent scoring record for Ajax to be fair, something close to 1 in 2. Although he won't be my preferred choice as a left forward.
It's better than I had remembered but he's just not the right type of player for the position. In contrast I think mine and Synco's setup is entirely complementary.

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!
It's better than I had remembered but he's just not the right type of player for the position
From what I have seen, he is pretty fine here IMO. A good hybrid wing forward. I wouldn't call him a classic winger based on my memory of him.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
@Physiocrat which version of Suarez are you playing, the earlier version who played Inside Left or Inter version who played as DLP? The tactics and writeup seem to indicate a combination of both...
We play the Barcelona version. As far as our research went, he didn't act as a pure offensive player then, but already displayed his CM playmaker traits at that time. And, crucially, also defended in CM.

As for positon: We made the miniscule sacrifice to put him on the right (where he operated anyway, as he was very mobile) in order to put Gascoigne's engine against Coluna. We don't think that will impede him in any significant way.

Here's how his position is depicted at Barca. As inside left his position at Barca is relatively deep relative to say how Puskas played the position. He will thrive here creatively and has the freedom to score goals (at Barca he had a 1 in 2 record) - he was a CM who could score goals.

Last edited:

GodShaveTheQueen

On the game, I think if Indnyc had played Desailly at DM and played a half decent CB alongside Cannavaro, my vote would have been done and dusted.

I just don't see the point of Guardiola here. There are already 3 proper playmakers on the pitch. Don't need another playmaker, especially one that is a defensive liability.

This opens up Suarez to show his magic.

For team physynco, Best against Anderson is a very good avenue as well.

Gullit vs Cashley is anyone's call and Riva is well covered by Cannavaro/Desailly, both of whom are great fits against him.

I still think Indy's midfield has way too much to offer and to contain for the opposition but the Guardiola pick just doesn't sit well at all with me.

I will think and decide on voting tomorrow.

Indnyc

On the game, I think if Indnyc had played Desailly at DM and played a half decent CB alongside Cannavaro, my vote would have been done and dusted.

I just don't see the point of Guardiola here. There are already 3 proper playmakers on the pitch. Don't need another playmaker, especially one that is a defensive liability.

This opens up Suarez to show his magic.

For team physynco, Best against Anderson is a very good avenue as well.

Gullit vs Cashley is anyone's call and Riva is well covered by Cannavaro/Desailly, both of whom are great fits against him.

I still think Indy's midfield has way too much to offer and to contain for the opposition but the Guardiola pick just doesn't sit well at all with me.

I will think and decide on voting tomorrow.
Thanks.. My original plan was to play Desailly in Midfield and i couldn't find a decent CB in the last pick ( Del Piero brain fart moment didn't help my drafting)

I am very happy with my midfield other than Guardiola and can definitely see doing well there

Indnyc

Indy sets up as expected. There are at least two problems in his system -

1st. Piet Keiser was more of a classic winger than you would want in this inside left position. His inclination would be to go outside rather than inside which is not what you want in this setup.

2nd. Viv Anderson is not the attacking type of full-back you want in a diamond esque system especially when behind Bene who was more of a striker than a right winger.

Viv Anderson is also a problem in that he is up against George Best. This is not going to end well for him.
Keizer wasn't my first choice but he's still a pretty good fit for Platini.. The key for Platini is having players who can open up spaces for him to score..Both Keizer and Bene are perfect as wide forwards who can score as well as be wide when required

Anderson is a problem but so is De Rossi against Platini.. It isn't perfect but Anderson was part of 2 back to back European cup winning teams (Clean sheets in both finals) so isn't terrible ( I was considering Neville given the lack of options there in the final rounds)

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Best vs Anderson doesn't look good here

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Keizer wasn't my first choice but he's still a pretty good fit for Platini.. The key for Platini is having players who can open up spaces for him to score..Both Keizer and Bene are perfect as wide forwards who can score as well as be wide when required

Anderson is a problem but so is De Rossi against Platini.. It isn't perfect but Anderson was part of 2 back to back European cup winning teams (Clean sheets in both finals) so isn't terrible ( I was considering Neville given the lack of options there in the final rounds)
Best needs to be doubled up on - at his peak he was hard to contain even for two players. So we don't consider Anderson alone to be the problem: for the lack of wing support in a diamond 4-4-2, Best draws a midfielder or CB out of position which is especially problematic in fast transition. That mitigates the advantages of a diamond, as it softens up the centre & creates space for Riva, Gullit (cutting into the box), and Suarez to create danger.

So we will exploit the diamond-specific weakness on the wings with all-time great level players & proficient offensive support from Abidal & McGrain, while at the same time causing trouble in the opposition's strongest area. Beating a diamond shape with a 4-3-3, basically. There was a reason van Gaal moved away from the 442 diamond and it was precisely the defensive solidity (I'm not saying the 442 diamond cannot ever work but rather a 433 is the worst system for it to come up against).

With respect to Platini it's not just De Rossi but the collective effort of the three. Gascoigne kept Matthaus quite in the past and Suarez was a mobile and hardworking CM even at Barca (although he's classed as an inside left upon watching some footage his starting position without the ball is really CM).

This approach was essentially Hamburg's when they beat Platini's Juve in the 1983 European Cup final-

Horst Hrubesch on consulting with Happel over marking Platini:

"Before the European Cup final against Juventus in '83, Happel called us for a stroll on a golf course. Jakobs, Kaltz, Magath and me were present. The question: man-marking for Platini, yes or no? We have weighed the pros and cons. We were of the opinion that it isn't necessary, and he said: 'Fine, let's keep it this way, no man-marking.' Worked out quite well indeed."

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Riva is well covered by Cannavaro/Desailly, both of whom are great fits against him.
Riva is not just a target man. He started his career as a left winger and is a mobile and agile forward at his peak who will link well with Best. They can switch at times in the fluid setup which will not just be a problem for Anderson in that inside left channel but also Cannavaro.

Riva was also a big game player. He scored in both the quarter-finals and semi-finals of the 1970 World Cup in addition to the opening goal in the Euro 1968 final reply. At Cagliari at his peak, he scored 54 goals in 83 games in the miserly Italian league which averaged only 2 goals per game over this period compared with 2.8 goals per game in last seasons EPL. Cannavaro and Desailly are a great pair but Riva is an excellent striker and with chances created from Best, Gullit and Suarez this will be a headache for Indnyc's defence.

GodShaveTheQueen

Riva is not just a target man. He started his career as a left winger and is a mobile and agile forward at his peak who will link well with Best.
I do like Cannavaro there as he defended well out wide too.

GodShaveTheQueen

Obvious I like Indy's team a lot more but going with team physynco here. Guardiola is just a deal breaker.

Indy's team would look amazing after a round of reinforcements if he goes through.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Voted for Physio and Synco, albeit the scoreline's pretty brutal on Indnyc as there is very little in it IMO - one of those where a lot of folk see it as a narrow but similar outcome. Don't see the issue with Guardiola per se, don't think he'll really get exposed here by anyone, and will probably be in his element hooking up with Platini and releasing Bene. Liked indnyc's defence a lot, but the attack lacks a little punch in comparison to what the other side offer.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Howdy @Indnyc

Didn't feature yet, as I was lurking in the shadows of this match thread, but I loved our encounter for my first draft game. Was fun trying to figure out your team & how to cope with your strong midfield. As others have said, this match was much closer than the final scoreline, although I'm naturally happy our team was rated by neutrals.

(Btw, I don't consider Guardiola to be much of a problem; A DLP with two hardworking CMs beside him & and an all time great, mobile central defense behind him is well protected. And even if I don't know Guardiola as a player much, I wouldn't automatically think he'd be useless defensively himself, at least if he doesn't have to cover large spaces alone.)

Indnyc

Howdy @Indnyc

Didn't feature yet, as I was lurking in the shadows of this match thread, but I loved our encounter for my first draft game. Was fun trying to figure out your team & how to cope with your strong midfield. As others have said, this match was much closer than the final scoreline, although I'm naturally happy our team was rated by neutrals.

(Btw, I don't consider Guardiola to be much of a problem; A DLP with two hardworking CMs beside him & and an all time great, mobile central defense behind him is well protected. And even if I don't know Guardiola as a player much, I wouldn't automatically think he'd be useless defensively himself, at least if he doesn't have to cover large spaces alone.)
Cheers.. Hope you stick around more :) Good luck to you and @Physiocrat for the next rounds