The Oasis Draft - SF: Pat_Mustard vs Jim Beam

With players at their career peak, who would win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Pat_Mustard

Jim Beam

Pat_Mustard Tactics

Formation: Zona Mista

Tactical Summary: Moderately deep defensive line with a predominantly counter-attacking style.

- An all-time great ball-playing CB (with 2 assists in a World Cup final to his name) Bobby Moore in the sweeper role, flanked by two quick and physically powerful foils to mitigate against his relative weaknesses.

- Thuram, Facchetti and Bruno Conti are all arguably the historical gold standards in those niche RB/RCB, LWB and one-man flank RW roles in the Zona Mista.

- Baggio will be in his element as our creative fulcrum, and has played some of his best football in similar setups for Juventus.

- Revamped attack. Whether it's actually a holistic improvement on Keegan/Charles is open to debate, but Robben and Kocsis were the pairing I wanted when I decided on the Zona Mista early in the drafting so YOLO. Kocisis, without question, is one of the greatest goalscorers ever, which is quite useful. Robben reprises his role for the Netherlands in WC 2014 where he played as a roaming second striker, and provides 1) electric pace 2) top-class dribbling and 3) a natural left-footer to provide that bit more balance to the attack.

Jim Beam Tactics

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
My best tactis so far. :drool:

It's Spaletti Roma. It's from the previous round.

Zona mista was break through mobile and unpredictible attack btw. :angel:

Jim Beam

Jesus, that feckin defence :lol:

Yeah, it was done by mobility and players interchanging or everyone was in awe of total football that came after.

Btw. Finney as on outside left is not an option. It was 36 years old Finney feeding of his attackin partner and without so much pace. I need Finney to take and occupy Facchetti on that side. Young Finney that is.

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!
Do you mind to explain?
Both great teams, but I am way too tilted towards one. I don't see the discussions changing my perception of the game or result.

Good news is no cnutage from me this game for either manager :lol:

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
That defence is bullet proof from Pat_Mustard but Jim's midfield is incredible too.

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Looks like Jim Beam has captain America in goal

Last edited:

Jim Beam

Not that I smoked, mind you.

@Pat_Mustard I expected Baggio in a false 9 role with Keegan and Robben from each side. Koscis is great, but Kohler and Bergomi is good in an air as it gets. Do expect Robben to make troubles, mind you.

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
:lol: aye

But, that feckin picture of Bergomi. If I was sitting in a class with him I would be probably stoned all the time.

"Dad?
Feck off..."
:lol: reminds me of Escobar in that Netflix series for some reason

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
Not that I smoked, mind you.

@Pat_Mustard I expected Baggio in a false 9 role with Keegan and Robben from each side. Koscis is great, but Kohler and Bergomi is good in an air as it gets. Do expect Robben to make troubles, mind you.
I probably should have played Keegan with the instruction of pressuring the feck out of Beckenbauer when he's in possession, but I really wanted to play Robben, and I also really wanted to play Kocsis, so I bottled it :D

Jim Beam

I probably should have played Keegan with the instruction of pressuring the feck out of Beckenbauer when he's in possession, but I really wanted to play Robben, and I also really wanted to play Kocsis, so I bottled it :D

It was Keegan draft. Should have gone for Elkjaer too and let all hell loose.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
leaning towards mustard though its impossible to go against the beatles

Jim Beam

Hey Jules,
Don't make me sad,
Take a bad club and make it better.
Remember to keep Fred out of your squad,
Then you can start, to make it better, better, better, better, better, better, oh!
Na, na, na, na, na, na, na,
na, na, na, na,
Nagelsmann.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
@Jim Beam Why do you have Bastian at LCM and Robbo at RCM? Wouldn't it be better to have the left footed Robbo at LCM and the right footed Bastian at RCM?

Jim Beam

@Jim Beam Why do you have Bastian at LCM and Robbo at RCM? Wouldn't it be better to have the left footed Robbo at LCM and the right footed Bastian at RCM?
Bastian played many times on left wing in early parts of his career or until Van Gaal placed him in the middle (he even played as a left back at the very start). He was many times deployed as a left sided midfielder in Bayern too when he played in a double pivot.

Also, the formation pic is a bit deceptive as in defence Bastian makes pretty much a double pivot with Beckenbauer while Robson is situated more centrally or in line with Totti. Also, the formation highlights the importance of Beckenbauer while in possession as the main organisator and playmaker from the deep in attacking phase. If the space opens up and he goes forward (as the main point of the tactic is that danger can come from all over the place and it basically attacks you with 6 players despite sitting relatively deep) Bastian covers for him.

Lastly, I personally don't think with players of Bastian and Robson quality it is any problem from which side they are coming in. Robson played all over the pitch and many of his goals came coming from the right.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
@Jim Beam Thanks for explanation. I wasn't too concerned about it just wondered especially as Bastian started as a right winger. As a double pivot with Der Kaiser makes sense though as the latter pretty much always one the right

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I'm probably going to abstain from this one as well, even though I actively try to vote in every game lately. I like Totti very much, he was a very unique and obviously brilliant player, but I'd vote for Jim the second he got him upgraded. For all his unquestionable talent, Totti failed to make the final step up to join the likes of Baggio, for example.

I'm sure that Jim doesn't plan to bench him though as his team is beautifully crafted around him now, with Stoichkov coming in for Czibor.

Jim Beam

I'm probably going to abstain from this one as well, even though I actively try to vote in every game lately. I like Totti very much, he was a very unique and obviously brilliant player, but I'd vote for Jim the second he got him upgraded. For all his unquestionable talent, Totti failed to make the final step up to join the likes of Baggio, for example.

I'm sure that Jim doesn't plan to bench him though as his team is beautifully crafted around him now, with Stoichkov coming in for Czibor.
It started naturally to be built around Beckenbauer. He still is very much the star of the team, despite going in a bit different direction after 1st round.

Understand your reasoning, think I would do the same. This draft was extremely tough to judge in most games for me. I must say that I preffered Pat's Keegan version. Baggio, Robben is great and individually looking Robben is a clear upgrade, but that off ball running or unselfishness, fast passing from Keegan was a perfect foil for Baggio imo. It still clearly is a fantastic team, no doubt.

As for Totti, yeah, very hard to pull him off now, although I know he puts some voters off. Watched a few Roma games from that period and the system was great when in full flow as was Totti and you can't help to ask what if he had a bit better team around him.

Funny fact, I extremely disliked Totti while he was playing. Both him and Roma. No particular reason, it is just the way with some teams and players.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Funny fact, I extremely disliked Totti while he was playing. Both him and Roma. No particular reason, it is just the way with some teams and players.
Yeah, he grew on me retrospectively as well, never liked him while he was playing. He's a bit of a cnut to be honest.

Jim Beam

Yeah, he grew on me retrospectively as well, never liked him while he was playing. He's a bit of a cnut to be honest.
With the awareness that in such a close game everything can affect people's vote I present Totti being at his most cnutest.

I mean, first you try to "sell" panenka to a keeper, end up looking daft and your answer is to push him in the end? :lol:

His Roma story and loyalty was beutiful, no doubt, as he really could have picked any team saying no to Madrid among others.

Shame he did have moments like those during games.

Am off, not sure how much I can write later. If not, best of luck Pat.

Last edited:

Pat_Mustard

Good luck to you too Jim!

I'll make a few posts/spam a few videos when I'm back on the laptop, but suffice to say there's nothing much I disagree with. I'm with you both on Totti. Disliked and underrated him for much of his career, and firmly preferred Del Piero, but he really grew on me towards the end of his career.

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!
Bastian was so much better as a LCM in a attacking B2B role. A completely different player from the left.

As a deep lying player or in a double pivot, I don't mind him either side, but in a 4-3-3, he has to be on the left.

Pat_Mustard

I must say that I preffered Pat's Keegan version. Baggio, Robben is great and individually looking Robben is a clear upgrade, but that off ball running or unselfishness, fast passing from Keegan was a perfect foil for Baggio imo. It still clearly is a fantastic team, no doubt.
Aye, said as much in my write-up that I was undecided as to whether the changes improved my team, but Robben was always in my mind for that SS slot as well. I thought he was incredible there for the Netherlands in WC 2014. I'm sure it should be fresh enough in the memory for most of us but video spam time anyway:

Pat_Mustard

Also, one of my favourite Baggio goals, by happy coincidence against Bergomi's Inter:

This is as close as I'll come to a hard sell as Beam's team is great and sober, man flu-stricken Mustard has little appetite for the fight, but I do feel I've got a slight edge comparing our respective attacks, with Baggio being the best creator/playmaker of the bunch and Kocsis the outstanding goalscorer in the pitch. No arguing against the quality and coherence of Jim's trio either though.