The obsession with dropping Mason Greenwood to the bench

meamth

Why the feck you want to put a 19 year old at CF and be targeted by big center backs? Stupid!

Let him develop at RW or LW first. Typical football management, basic.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Exactly. Mason looks a real talent. If he’s good enough his quality will get him into the squad and team regardless of other players.

I’m guessing a lot of these fans that didn’t want Sancho would have been demanding Fergie sell Sheringham and Solskjaer to give and Nevland and Healy a chance in 1999!
If I remember correctly people who didn’t want Sancho because it might have been bad for Greenwood’s development were in the minority.
And anyone who thought we should be relying on a 19 year old kid to deliver week in week out - even more so in this extraordinary season - was being completely unrealistic.
We have a huge gap especially on the right wing and needed solutions. And I don’t think many were against buying Sancho.
But buying him for 120 mil € plus around 250 k € / week in wages + agent fees during a pandemic was which was putting people off.
We should have decided at one point that we give up on Sancho and get an alternative. It’s good that we bought 2 young wingers, but we needed someone ready to step in now (and obviously someone cheaper than Sancho).

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Up until Solksjaer stated that Greenwood was ill, there was no evidence of any reason why he would be out.

I wasn't "peddling" anything, just stating my opinion on the likelihood of why a key player wouldn't be in the squad. And as I said, until the manager comes out and states why a key player wasn't included them the most likely reason is surely the one that has been hanging around him like a cloud.

No evidence for Greenwood's disciplinary issues? Was he not excluded from an England squad recently for something other than injury or illness?

Or am I being 'negative'.
There's no evidence for disciplinary issues at United, correct. You jumped the gun, that's what happened. Rather than admit you were wrong you've got yourself all worked up for nothing.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
I think he’s a bit immature. Nothing I’ve heard, just my gut feeling. I think Ole is taking him out of the spotlight for his own good.

Not all teenagers can have the maturity & temperament Rashford did at that age unfortunately.
I think he is very naturally mature, calm and honest boy. All of a sudden people think he is incredibly cool, have the looks and the skills and demand things from his behaviour that fits their image of him. Even if he doesn't want those things, that is what he is getting. Then you have sponsorship agents trying to reinforce those perspectives and develop him as a brand. The boy has a lot on his plate outside of the pitch and it's not necessarily as easy as turning off a switch. Hopefully he'll find his own path and manage to remain focused on what matters the most which is his love for football.

Gabagoo

https://www.manutd.com/en/news/deta...wood-missed-everton-1-man-utd-2-on-7-nov-2020

See? Utter nonsense. No doubt the next time he isnt playing fans will vaguely use this scenario and his drinking nonsense to compound the next lie.
All of which isnt true
You've provided the evidence I was looking I stated that I was waiting for, so fine, he was ill.

I'm glad! Do you think I want our best talent to potentially have disciplinary issues?

If he's focused and happy then I'm happy for him and happy with our prospects.

Gabagoo

There's no evidence for disciplinary issues at United, correct. You jumped the gun, that's what happened. Rather than admit you were wrong you've got yourself all worked up for nothing.
Well, I didn't jump the gun and I wasn't wrong.

I said to the effect of "until we get confirmation that he's injured, the logical solution to him being left out would be disciplinary" and now we've got confirmation that he was ill (which counts as injured to me).

I'm perfectly fine to move on and take Ole's word for it. As I mentioned above, it's in my interest as a United fan for the kid to stay strong and focused, so I'm happy at the news.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Concerns over Greenwood remain:

I got this from reddit:

Some stuff the article says [paraphrasing]

- Concerns over whether he's getting enough sleep

- As a consequence concerns over immune system & concentration levels

- His response to the Iceland incident has not been impressive

- Had a lethargic display in training after returning from Turkey

- Questions about outside activities

- Ole wanted Southgate to let him stay at Carrington this intl break

If it's true then he needs to be more professional and focus on his career. He is a professional footballer with professional contract now and he should act more professional instead of focusing on playing playstation or other things that disturb his job. I hope his parent also give him some advice, his issue seems to be something can be solved easily.

Rio Ferdinand should give Greenwood story about Ronaldo hiring 15 personal trainers & fitness advisor to make him better player which shows example how best player in the world achieve his dream and reach his potential.

GueRed

Exactly. Mason looks a real talent. If he’s good enough his quality will get him into the squad and team regardless of other players.

I’m guessing a lot of these fans that didn’t want Sancho would have been demanding Fergie sell Sheringham and Solskjaer to give and Nevland and Healy a chance in 1999!
wow blasts from the past

add Alex Notman in there too

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
I got this from reddit:

If it's true then he needs to be more professional and focus on his career. He is a professional footballer with professional contract now and he should act more professional instead of focusing on playing playstation or other things that disturb his job. I hope his parent also give him some advice, his issue seems to be something can be solved easily.

Rio Ferdinand should give Greenwood story about Ronaldo hiring 15 personal trainers & fitness advisor to make him better player which shows example how best player in the world achieve his dream and reach his potential.
Ronaldo probably hired 15 stunning women

Mainoldo

I got this from reddit:

He’s not CR7. He’s Mason Greenwood and he’s also in a surreal Quarantine situation, where life is a bit different.

Marcus

I hope he didn't have to do with a possible falling out with Ole over his exlusion from the England squad. I heard from a pre-match pundits that Southgate agreed with Ole that it would be best not to select Mason for England?

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
He’s not CR7. He’s Mason Greenwood and he’s also in a surreal Quarantine situation, where life is a bit different.
You are missing the point. I can use different athlete who put their dedication fully to reach their potential. Im just using Ronaldo as I heard it from Rio himself talking to others.

Bestietom

Hope he gets back on track, and don't waste that great chance he has of becoming one of the best.

It's a good thing to keep him out of the squad for a bit. He was getting more attention and hype than was good for him, remove him from the limelight and let him get his focus back on track.

VivaObertan

Transfer Voyeur
He played a lot of minutes last season (1,000 more than Phil Foden, who is a year and a half older) and has just turned 19... if he's out of the squad for a few weeks it can only be good for him.

Cloud7

He played a lot of minutes last season (1,000 more than Phil Foden, who is a year and a half older) and has just turned 19... if he's out of the squad for a few weeks it can only be good for him.
We can only hope that he feels the same way and doesn't take this as a bad thing. Greenwood is one of the most exciting young players I've seen come through our ranks.

romufc

Him not being involved for England will be a good thing. Ole needs to work with the players that do not go to international duty.

Hopefully AWB and Greenwood can get some chemistry going on the pitch.

RUCK4444

Something smells off on this one. Called in sick is a bit random, hopefully true, just hope this kid isn’t wasting his unreal talent.

neilv93

Praying he doesn't turn out to be another James Wilson, wasting talent. If there are off-field issues, they must be stemming from outside interference - I find it hard to believe he can't model professionalism and whatnot from the likes of Rashford, Bruno, Mata etc.

Bestietom

Something smells off on this one. Called in sick is a bit random, hopefully true, just hope this kid isn’t wasting his unreal talent.
Read where they are worried about him not getting enough sleep, and so not giving it all in training.

Jonno

Praying he doesn't turn out to be another James Wilson, wasting talent. If there are off-field issues, they must be stemming from outside interference - I find it hard to believe he can't model professionalism and whatnot from the likes of Rashford, Bruno, Mata etc.
James Wilson? Greenwood scored 19 goals last season in the United first team :lol:, Strange comparison to player who was simply not good enough at the elite level.

Mainoldo

You are missing the point. I can use different athlete who put their dedication fully to reach their potential. Im just using Ronaldo as I heard it from Rio himself talking to others.
You don’t know his dedication you just heard he has trouble sleeping.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
This was always going to be a interesting 2nd season for Greenwood off the back of last seasons performances and hype. How he would cope with the new attention and how United would protect him.
I expected a harder season ahead for him and ,at this early time, its starting to look that way.

Abit of a reality check needed for everyone really to some extent. Still can go either way for him.

SATA

Well, give him sleeping pills if he is having trouble sleeping. Actually more like staying up playing console games with his mates and probably with a few drinks as well

Mainoldo

The post you replied listed more than just trouble sleeping.
Yeah but we can read between the lines. He had a crap training session. He was probably asked and said he’s not feel great. Ole took a bald decision and told him to stay at home. I don’t blame him his job is on the line and he can’t rely on anyone who isn’t looking fully committed.

I don’t believe it’s an attitude problem or anything along those lines. Just youth and development.

L1nk

People dismissing all of this or acting like its no big deal, not sure where your head is at? You've seen how quickly players with unreal talent can let it all slip away for other reasons, true the media likes to sensationalise things, but there's no smoke without fire and weird stuff has been going on with Greenwood for a while now it seems, somebody needs to have a word with him.

People will say he's just young and all young lads will behave like this, the issue is he isn't afforded the luxury of acting how he wants if he wants to become the player everybody knows he can be, because he chose to become a professional footballer, that's the harsh reality. The issue IS that he's young, and young people are more prone to making stupid decisions, he doesn't have the forsight of experience.

Mainoldo

Don't know for sure if it is trouble sleeping or not enough sleep. Maybe hitting the sack too late, when early rise.
I would say that. But we’ve all been kids. It’s life lessons you can’t be turning up to work late (assumption from sleeping late and waking up late).

Bestietom

Yeah but we can read between the lines. He had a crap training session. He was probably asked and said he’s not feel great. Ole took a bald decision and told him to stay at home. I don’t blame him his job is on the line and he can’t rely on anyone who isn’t looking fully committed.

I don’t believe it’s an attitude problem or anything along those lines. Just youth and development.
We hope it's just youth development.

Mainoldo

People dismissing all of this or acting like its no big deal, not sure where your head is at? You've seen how quickly players with unreal talent can let it all slip away for other reasons, true the media likes to sensationalise things, but there's no smoke without fire and weird stuff has been going on with Greenwood for a while now it seems, somebody needs to have a word with him.

People will say he's just young and all young lads will behave like this, the issue is he isn't afforded the luxury of acting how he wants because he chose to become a professional footballer, that's the harsh reality. The issue IS that he's young, and young people are more prone to making stupid decisions, he doesn't have the forsight of experience.
Mate your over exaggerating. Your living in a social media world making social media accusations. What you need to do is probably watch a couple football player interviews when they review their careers. I say this as you’ll get an understanding that they are just normal human beings doing normal human being things.

Romario one of my favourite players asked to leave el Classico early to go to a flipping Brazilian carnival. Part of management is being able to manage all these different levels of professionalism.

neilv93

James Wilson? Greenwood scored 19 goals last season in the United first team :lol:, Strange comparison to player who was simply not good enough at the elite level.
Hahaha yeah I just meant someone the academy and fans had high hopes for. Absolutely not expecting Mason to be churning it out for Aberdeen or Salford anytime in the next five years!!!

Champagne Football

I hope Ole's personality is strong enough to get him in check if he's losing focus. Under Wenger you had highly talented kids, the likes of Ox-Chamberlain not giving 100%, possibly through lack of authoritarian figure in charge, so hopefully that won't happen here.

It's not good when you get murmurs of a super talent not adapting themselves correctly. We had it with Memphis Depay not too long ago. Hopefully Greenwood can mature quickly.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag

Professional who is getting paid and has professional contract should act like professional. Like I said before (if you didn't read the last sentence), his issue isn't big deal because it can be solved easily. But it's still issue that need to be sorted out.

Mainoldo

Professional who is getting paid and has professional contract should act like professional. Like I said before (if you didn't read the last sentence), his issue isn't big deal because it can be solved easily. But it's still issue that need to be sorted out.
Again. He’s not a robot. I wish my son didn’t think it was cool to through all his breakfast on the table. But he’s a baby and does baby things. I’m sure if a paid him 40k a week he’s still do the same crap.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Again. He’s not a robot. I wish my son didn’t think it was cool to through all his breakfast on the table. But he’s a baby and does baby things. I’m sure if a paid him 40k a week he’s still do the same crap.
Your son isn't professional employee. There is a reason why company hasn't give your son a professional contract.

On the other hand, Greenwood got his professional contract because the club believe he is ready to be professional and he needs to start act to be one. It's a not good example for other academy players if the club will let Greenwood to act the way he is acting.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Hope he learns he may not be guarantee success here, he should work really hard for his career, otherwise he could end up to become next Januzaj - from most hyped wonderkid to nothing player.