Television The Offer - TV Show on Paramount +

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Anyone else catch this ?

The behind the scenes exploits at Paramount Pictures in getting the Godfather movie made in the early 70s, including pushback from the real mafia in NYC and the high stakes drama among various Paramount execs in how to go about making the film.

A story within a story of sorts. Very watchable, especially for film history and mob history types.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Its fine as a silly soap opera account of a famous film, made by a producer, about how said producer was basically a superhero… It’s complete bullshit though, as pretty much confirmed by every one else involved.

Peter Bart (Vice President under Robert Evans): First, a note about the filmmaking team: The Offer portrays a sort of “buddy’ relationship between the principals. In reality, Al Ruddy and Francis Coppola were not on speaking terms during most of the shooting schedule and Bob Evans looked upon Ruddy with both distrust and disdain. In The Offer, the three hug each other at the end of the shoot and vow to join forces on its sequel. In reality, the contracts for The Godfather Part II specified that Ruddy would have no connection with the project, and that Coppola would not be required to communicate with Evans on any issue..
By all accounts the mafia involvement was largely a paranoiac invention of Ruddy too (or at least the extent of it) and Coppola did an interview recently where he said he couldn’t recall seeing him on set at all.

https://deadline.com/2022/05/the-go...the-offer-storytelling-over-truth-1235023124/

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Its fine as a silly soap opera account of a famous film, made by a producer, about how said producer was basically a superhero… It’s complete bullshit though, as pretty much confirmed by every one else involved.

https://deadline.com/2022/05/the-go...the-offer-storytelling-over-truth-1235023124/
Yes, there were a lot of creative liberties taken. Real mob guys who reviewed the series were apparently annoyed that Columbo was portrayed as a bumbling buffoon (they claim he was a smart guy). It was very well cast and acted I thought.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I thought it was good fun if taken in isolation, yeah, it's clearly not in any way accurate at all, and all the characters are a bit ridiculous.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
It was amusing to see the suave McQueen-esque way they portrayed Ruddy, right down to the achingly cool outfits, only to have to put him in the ridiculously gimpy thing he actually wore to the Oscar’s at the end, for realism’s sake.

lsd

The Oracle
The guy who plays Pacino totally nails it