Television The Office, US Version

Wittmann45

I was watching Gervais' monologue from the Golden Globes a couple days ago. He talked about how some people thought the Office had 'jumped the shark'. I thought his little routine with Carrel was funny, but I didn't really think that the show had gone that far done hill.

I don't know if anyone is watching the show right now, but my god, it is a feckin' clip show! How can a mockumentary type show even have a clip show!

Some of the clips are funny (obviously), but I'm beginning to agree with Ricky. Alas, all good things much come to an end

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Not seen the last season but all the previous ones and really loved it. In fact I never enjoyed the British one that much but it's probably due to the fact that I had seen about 40 episode of US Office before I gave the UK one a chance and couldn't convert to the new characters.

Alex

It's Jim who has become an unfunny asshole.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
This season has been poor. I think it has run its course.The whole Andy-Aaron romance thing is not like Jim-Pam but another not too dissimilar either.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
The US version was never really that funny in my opinion. A decent sit-com but pretty much stripped of the original version's genius.

El B

It has never had the nail-biting, painful cringe worthy moments that made the english version so good. I could never get into the US version because of that. Its just the soul destroying moments of truth where you realise you know someone like one of the characters (well a caricature of someone like that). The original show was genius.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
It has never had the nail-biting, painful cringe worthy moments that made the english version so good. I could never get into the US version because of that. Its just the soul destroying moments of truth where you realise you know someone like one of the characters (well a caricature of someone like that). The original show was genius.
It does actually (this season had a cracker...'Scotts tots') but isn't such a one trick pony in that the comedy comes more from the characters rather than Gervais/Brent makes an arse out of himself again.

That said, this season has certainly seen a dip in quality. I'll agree with that.

People writing the whole series off as inferior to the English version are wrong IMO and pretty much everyone I've personally turned on to this has stuck with it and loved it.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
People saying it is inferior to UK version are spot on because it is.

People writing it off are wrong because it has held its own since S2. Was superb from S2-4.

olesmyhero

Emmy Moses
I think they were smart in not trying to be exactly like the original show. The first half of season one was pretty much the exact same as the original, and it never really worked. Once it branched off and did its own thing, it got good.

El B

It does actually (this season had a cracker...'Scotts tots') but isn't such a one trick pony in that the comedy comes more from the characters rather than Gervais/Brent makes an arse out of himself again.

That said, this season has certainly seen a dip in quality. I'll agree with that.

People writing the whole series off as inferior to the English version are wrong IMO and pretty much everyone I've personally turned on to this has stuck with it and loved it.
I think they were smart in not trying to be exactly like the original show. The first half of season one was pretty much the exact same as the original, and it never really worked. Once it branched off and did its own thing, it got good.
I just loved the original for what it was. The us version though has had its share of funny moments, i maybe haven't watched it regularly enough. I wouldn't go out of my to watch it, but i wouldn't turn it off if it came on mostly because i think Steve Carrell is pretty good.
I agree though, it probably is a good thing that it wasn't a completely faithful remake. Its better than a lot of dodgy US versions of UK shows, the pilot for the american version of Spaced is atrocious (its on the internet somewhere, can't remember exactly now as im in work).

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Steve Carell's Michael Scott isn't the best character in the US version imo, I think Dwight, Jim and later Andy are all funnier. Carell is still good though don't get me wrong, I just think the others are better.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
People saying it is inferior to UK version are spot on because it is.

People writing it off are wrong because it has held its own since S2. Was superb from S2-4.
not inferior, just different.

I've stopped watching it of late too and hadn't even bothered to wonder why so it must've gone stale on me.

Wonder Pigeon

'Shelbourne FC Supporter'
Supports
Shelbourne
Steve Carell's Michael Scott isn't the best character in the US version imo, I think Dwight, Jim and later Andy are all funnier. Carell is still good though don't get me wrong, I just think the others are better.
Jim was one of the funniest characters on the show, but since they stopped his pranks and stuff he's a lot less funny. Why the writers decided to have
Jim promoted to co-manager
I have no idea.

Cina

Bloody hell, the newest episode is a clip episode, they're really running out of ideas with this now. Although, it was the most I've laughed during an episode in ages. The section devoted to Creed helped.

nimic

something nice
Scout
I think people are going a bit over the top here. Yes, this season hasn't been quite as good as some of the previous ones, but it's still had some very funny moments. It's still a show I very much enjoy.

Hectic

Supports
30fps
Still love it to be honest, Jim has declined a little, but thats because he isn't constantly messing around with Dwight.

Everyone else is still good, I think after so many series though it was bound to lose a little of the laughs.

I still very much enjoy it, although I would say that it's easier to call It's Always Sunny and Trailer Park Boys far superior now, then it was after I'd only watched a few seasons of The Office.

The UK version is not worth comparing, at least for me.

Wittmann45

Still love it to be honest, Jim has declined a little, but thats because he isn't constantly messing around with Dwight.

Everyone else is still good, I think after so many series though it was bound to lose a little of the laughs.

I still very much enjoy it, although I would say that it's easier to call It's Always Sunny and Trailer Park Boys far superior now, then it was after I'd only watched a few seasons of The Office.

The UK version is not worth comparing, at least for me.
Where are you from, UK?

Don't hear too much about that show outside Canada...brilliant, isn't it? Just might be our greatest culture contribution to the world

Wonder Pigeon

'Shelbourne FC Supporter'
Supports
Shelbourne

I haven't found season 6 to be that bad, in fact I really enjoyed the wedding episode and the Chrismas one. I can't believe they did a fecking clip show though, I mean come on.

olesmyhero

Emmy Moses
I think people are going a bit over the top here. Yes, this season hasn't been quite as good as some of the previous ones, but it's still had some very funny moments. It's still a show I very much enjoy.
No doubt it still has some funny as feck moments. My opinion is that the good majority of those moments are Andy and Dwight.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
Where are you from, UK?

Don't hear too much about that show outside Canada...brilliant, isn't it? Just might be our greatest culture contribution to the world
What about Neil Young or Pam's nunga-nungas?

SharkyMcShark

Horrified
Using location as a tagline: because I'm just not
Right so now I've seen every episode of the US office I have four points to make.

1. It's decent, and one thing I like compared to the real Office is that all of the side characters get more time (the accountants etc).

2. Kevin is a fecking annoying spastic. Being slow and sleazy was funny for about a season and a half, and now he just infuriates the shit out of me. Stupid cnut.

3. Season 6 and the end of season 5 are a bit gash. There was a turning point reached where everyone in the Scranton branch just decided to be massive cnuts to one another for no reason - see the reaction of the workers in the employee of the month episode where Jim accidentally wins it and is apologising while the rest of the dickheads are still shouting at him. Similarly, see the pay rise episode.

4. The two old cows in the office, Phyllis and Meredith, also annoy the living shit out of me. Surely the writers can bring them some more character development beyond "I'm old and a judgemental cow" (and also a whore).

5. Why does The Office now get referred to as "The Office UK", and the American version just as "The Office"? How does that make any sense?

6. Why is everyone so mean to Toby :(

I'm aware that ended up being 6, not 4.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
I haven't built up interest in the show. For American sitcoms it's not as funny as Big Bang Theory or Two and a Half Men, even lacking in gag reel moments like How I Met Your Mother. Granted it can be an entertaining show I just haven't found the genius in it yet.

I haven't seen the English version. I have heard the Gervais earns 50k for every American episode produced.

I_live_cement

Cat freak
I haven't built up interest in the show. For American sitcoms it's not as funny as Big Bang Theory or Two and a Half Men, even lacking in gag reel moments like How I Met Your Mother. Granted it can be an entertaining show I just haven't found the genius in it yet.

I haven't seen the English version. I have heard the Gervais earns 50k for every American episode produced.
Are you kidding me?

The very fact that those two shows are currently America's most popular sitcoms is just baffling.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
It shits all over two and a half men to be frank. I've not seen enough of big bang theory to really comment on that one.