Music The official Grime/UK Rap thread!

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho

I didn't rate Wileys first send, but this one is much better in my opinion.

I rated disappointed despite the fact it wasn't a grime beat and wa too short. The actual lyrics and flow in the tune were nice.

Member 39557

Possibly, but I wouldn't write Wiley off that quickly. Where does Stormzy go from here, whereas Wiley still has several levels he can take his insults up to.
What happened anyway, from what I could make out in the first video was wiley drunk and saying shit about stormzy's mum?

P-Nut

What happened anyway, from what I could make out in the first video was wiley drunk and saying shit about stormzy's mum?
Wiley has been building it up for a while on twitter. He doesn't like the fact Stormzy teamed up with Ed Sheeran as he sees it as using grime which he built up.

Then he made the first send and its just rolled from there.

In reality though its a massive pr stunt (they are trending 1 & 2 on YouTube) , but one that takes grime back to the early days, when clashes like this happened more frequently and brought some of the best grime artists to the fore.

EDIT: There are 4 in total if you haven't heard them all

mancan92

Possibly, but I wouldn't write Wiley off that quickly. Where does Stormzy go from here, whereas Wiley still has several levels he can take his insults up to.
I guess but honestly that was such a killer blow. Unless wiley has some actual information or secrets about stormzy then it's over. Otherwise any simple doss won't do anything.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Gather round it's just the pre-drinks. Stormzys got this in the bag.

In other news.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Its a beef that suits them both. Makes Wiley more famous and gives him world wide validation, suits Stormzy as it shows he has genuine skills and is still "real".

They'll both sell more music and become more famous. Whether the beef is truly real or not only they know, but Wiley does seem to be very envious of Stormzy.

Silas

Cadell caught a few strays on Disappointed, so this was always coming. Wonder if Wiley will give it a push.

Silas

Why is Dot Rotten involved?
He started it. After the issue with Jay1, he sent shots for a bunch of people inclduing BBK and basically called out the scene, daring someone to come for him. Think Wiley called BBK out for not replying so went at Dot himself. Jaykae sent for Dot and Wiley soon after and Wiley said something about Jaykae being with Ed (Sheeran) and Stormzy in response, then started ranting on twitter about it again. Led to Stormzy and him having a back and forth online, which led to what's happening now.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
The fact the only thing people can say in Wiley’s favour is that “Stormzy wasn’t technically grime enough” just shows how thoroughly Stormzy won this. ... In a battle you can rap over fecking Toxic by Brittany Spears if you like as long as the bars are hard enough. Wiley’s bars were weak enough to require excuses.

Last edited:

Oo0AahCantona

Still disappointed is one of the hardest diss tracks since devlins on wiley in my irrelevant point of view.

P-Nut

Best one yet imo
Yeah he nails the beatand flow completely on that. Also has quite a few actual diss lyrics which is essential for me seen as how you're actual meant to be clashing.

I'm expecting Stormzys reply to be over a proper old school grime beat though, so it could push new levels yet again.

P-Nut

Have you heard Dot Rottens on Jaykae in this current run of tracks by the way. Its seriously good and has flown a bit under the radar due to the amount he's released lately.

Bubz27

That's Wiley's best track but not as good as Still Disappointed.

P-Nut

This is quite disappointing though, pun fully intended

Edit: Especially when you check Wileys and see hehas performed, writeten and produced his.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year

Though if Wiley’s producing his, then that’s a notch in his column, for sure. But again, if this is a battle, the beat is significantly less important than the lyrics. The lyrics are the point.

iammemphis

iwillnotaskforanamechangeagain
How can you compete in a battle and have someone else do your lyrics and production?

Tesco value wet tissue. Instant loss.
Stormzy would have written the lyrics and had the other three producing the tune. Wiley has always been a great producer and writer which largely accounts for how big he got; he doesn’t have to share any of the royalties with anyone but himself so can keep reinvesting in his brand. Wiley has always had a sick flow but he’s extremely bitter at the fact he’s not top of the game anymore in a genre he spearheaded, along with Dizzy. He should really be humble with what he’s achieved and revel in the history all these grime artists constantly reference to, but he just can’t do it. Makes good entertainment though. Still Disappointed was :eek::houllier: though:lol:.

Neo_Mufc

Not sure how I feel about this "beef" - feels very pre-mediated at a time where albums & tours are out n about.

If what's coming out of Wiley's mouth is genuine then he needs to stop and have a look at some of the songs he made in the past. He hasn't always been "pure" grime.

Stormzy is the biggest homegrown urban artist in the UK at the moment. Same for Ed in his respective genre (also he's tipped into the Global sphere). So it makes sense to make a song.

Wiley can call it drill/UK rap/trap but I think he's just bitter that other mc's have been able to build upon their skills and capitalise at a time where mc-ing whether its over something much slower than 140bpm is selling like hot cakes to the youth of the UK.

The purists might give a shit but music moves on.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Stormzy using the Drake playbook.

- Be the more popular artist
- Make shit up
- Make better songs

Wiley IS Grime. He’s also right in his critique of Stormzy, albeit while being a little petty. No chance of him being seen as ‘winning’ this little spat though.

P-Nut

Though if Wiley’s producing his, then that’s a notch in his column, for sure. But again, if this is a battle, the beat is significantly less important than the lyrics. The lyrics are the point.
Stormzy is talking bollocks, they've got a separate produced by section which also has a separate name on it.

Dan_F

Stormzy using the Drake playbook.

- Be the more popular artist
- Make shit up
- Make better songs

Wiley IS Grime. He’s also right in his critique of Stormzy, albeit while being a little petty. No chance of him being seen as ‘winning’ this little spat though.
Wiley’s biggest songs were more pop than anything Stormzy has put out. I have a lot of time for Wiley’s back catalogue, but he did exactly the same thing. Only difference being he was never big enough for global artists to work with him. He would have 100% jumped at the chance to do that back in 2010 ish.

P-Nut

Wiley’s biggest songs were more pop than anything Stormzy has put out. I have a lot of time for Wiley’s back catalogue, but he did exactly the same thing. Only difference being he was never big enough for global artists to work with him. He would have 100% jumped at the chance to do that back in 2010 ish.
Yeah he went fully pop around that time, he's just lucky enough that his back catalogue was completely grime and it was a long time before he actually went pop.

Sweet Square

.Stormzy is clearly too nice for diss tracks.

.Wiley is mental.

. I Luv U reference on the Wiley diss track :lol:

.The instrumental on Disappointed was utter shite.

.Grime is the mainstream of British music, which is made to think about as everyone was saying it was dead 10 years ago.

Last edited:

Bubz27

.Stormzy is clearly too nice for diss tracks.

.Wiley is mental.

. I Luv U reference on the Wiley diss track :lol:

.The instrumental on Disappointed was utter shite.

.Grime is the mainstream of British music, which is made to think about as everyone was saying it was dead 10 years ago.
Was shit. Yeah we already know Stormzy is about 15 years younger than you. So what?

UnrelatedPsuedo

You just agreed with me. I said Wiley is correct, but far too petty and precious.

My main point was that Stormzy is trying to ‘win’ through making pop disses with production value, relying on fan numbers to declare he won. As Drake has done for his whole career; Despite him being lyrically skewered in multiple beefs.

Rasendori

Man Of Culture
I saw a Gofundme campaign to get Wiley's Mum back into the UK. £10 raised so far, and was wondering what it was all about.
Now that I've heard the songs, I'm wondering if it'll go beyond criticism of family

UnrelatedPsuedo

Hashtag authentic grime
Massive difference. Anytime Wiley steps out of Grime he doesn’t claim it as such.

I used to think that Grime was silly. It’s not. Wiley is the Godfather of it, and God within it. That’s not even up for debate. he’s basically made a whole genre of music, resolutely holding onto it, ring fencing it from becoming a sub-genre of Hip-Hip or a Rap derivative. In that sense it’s closer to being an analog of Punk.

Wiley is a boss. He’s a far better MC than Stormzy.

Having said that.... Heavy is the Head is far and away better than any album Wiley has ever made.

Easy to see why Wiley is calling him out. Easy to back him. Easy to also acknowledge that Stormzy is a better recording artist.

The Stormzy diss tracks are basically the equivalent of modern EDM. Everything is centred around the drop.

Everything on his diss tracks is about Freakishly good punchlines that are predicated on spitting lies rather than facts. : The ‘Terminal 4’ line was phenomenal for example. No truth to it, but it’s so damn funny. Nowhere near as lyrically good as the double hit same line of “You got all this Adidas stuff but (n)(m)ike(y) make it look crap”. That’s other worldly. But has almost zero impact to most.

P-Nut

I saw a Gofundme campaign to get Wiley's Mum back into the UK. £10 raised so far, and was wondering what it was all about.
Now that I've heard the songs, I'm wondering if it'll go beyond criticism of family
I don't think Stormzy will reply to be honest, which will be annoying

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
Got recommended this vid on YouTube. Blast from the past :lol: