Music The official punk/post-punk/new wave thread

Kylar Stern

Great thread, I've not come across this before, but have just spent a productive half an hour at work checking out the videos - nostalgia overload.

Now that Summer is officially, officially here (That's official BTW) I've finally switched over the CDs in the car to more summery sounds (IE, more horns)

The next few months of commuting will be to the sounds of Rancid, Operation Ivy, Sublime, Catch 22/Streetlight Manifesto, Reel Big Fish, Capdown, Less than Jake, The Specials, Dexys Midnight Runners et al.

Yes, I'm aware this is effectively a 16 year old girls playlist from about 10 years ago, but as I mentioned, Summer and that.

Mojo_

its more fun being a feeder
Best punk band ever

34 minutes of true beauty

Gina11

Supports
Liverpool FC
I could become a bit of a bore here.

San Francisco's Avengers made one kick-ass EP (and a less good album) and are filmed here supporting the Sex Pistols at Winterland. The last ever "real" Sex Pistols show.

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
I could become a bit of a bore here.

San Francisco's Avengers made one kick-ass EP (and a less good album) and are filmed here supporting the Sex Pistols at Winterland. The last ever "real" Sex Pistols show.
I was into all those American bands at the time. Later on The Dicks, Fear, 7 Seconds, Misfits, Circle Jerks. A great mixture.
In England around that time I felt the bands were just copying each other and the peope that were into it were all exactly the same. Me and my mates used to call them BBC punks. I suppose that kind of thing happens in every scene where the best bands get copied until everyone sounds the same.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Marxist bacon-hating kebab-dodging Tinder rascal
Scout
Came across this album last night while looking for a band/song, it's pretty good! It's a compilation of indie bands from the late 70's/early 80's from the South Coast. I recommend checking it out if you like the genres this thread's about.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Scout
This is quite fun.

I'm not sure how to describe it. I saw the phrase dance punk used, and I guess that would fit. It's funky.

I can't find any Youtube or Spotify links for the album, but here's a couple of tracks;

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Dickie Hammond, founding guitarist of Leatherface, sadly passed away yesterday. So, it's only right to listen to one of the best ever UK punk rock records. Since Mush, there's been about 10,000 bands trying to sound like Leatherface. It was just an enormous record. Pretty much shaped what punk rock would sound like thereafter. Everything that came out of Florida in the 90s was pretty much because of Leatherface. It's just been reissued on vinyl. I think I'm going to have to get it.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
This is quite fun.

I'm not sure how to describe it. I saw the phrase dance punk used, and I guess that would fit. It's funky.

I can't find any Youtube or Spotify links for the album, but here's a couple of tracks;

YES ! Their new album is fecking great !

onemanarmy

I really like the supersuckers. Unfortunately they always seem to play only half as fast live as on a record. Their gigs become boring very fast.

I saw Flag in Amsterdam a month ago. Extremely cool show.

Few bands I'm into these days

Night birds (LA punk influences. Think Agent Orange)

California X

Iron Reagan

OFF!

Raketkanon (from Belgium).

Last edited:

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Scout
Just listening to this.

Not listened to it in a while, but it's got some great tracks on it.

I discovered New Model Army the other day. Only listened to the following two albums as of yet, but I like what I've heard so far

Last edited:

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Scout
Can't stop listening to The Sound at the moment, this album is fecking brilliant

Love the way the chorus comes in in New Dark Age :drool:

Last edited:

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Scout
Lowlife are good. I've not listened to any of their albums in full much apart from Diminuendo, but I've just listened to the Eternity Road compilation and it's good. Nice and moody.

onemanarmy

The new Bronx album is a disappointment. One of my favorite bands of the last 10 years, but the new one just isn't very good.

Any other new records worth checking out?