The official transfer comparison thread

decorativeed

Using the Ferdinand transfer as an example, you give a fee of 27.55m yet the source you quote (BBC) gives 29.3 plus and additional 1.5m paid to clear the unpaid installments. That, and the agent fees and the levy, get to the 31.120m that you find in the 2004 or 2005 accounts. So, why the 27.55m?
Missed this at the time, but my reckoning is based on the following from the BBC report:

Manchester United have agreed to give debt-ridden Leeds United a final payment of £1.5m for Rio Ferdinand.

The England defender, who is serving an eight-month ban, moved from Leeds to Old Trafford in July 2002 for £29.3m.

The majority of the fee was paid up front, but United still owed Leeds £3.25m which they agreed would be paid in instalments.

But Leeds have accepted the reduced amount to put towards the £5m they need to save the club from administration.
£29.3m - £3.25m = £26.05m - the sum paid for Ferdinand before the final settlement of £1.5m was agreed.

£26.05m + £1.5m = £27.55m.

Maths.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Tevez was 47.5m pounds.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Because City did it out of desperation? Big name player, coming to play at Eastlands, yet also (in their eyes) "getting" 1 over United.

They were willing to spend that big to signify them getting into the "big league". Initially they had to overpay to get "good" players (Barry, Milner, Lescott, Adebayor etc) to try and make the top 4. The next step, when they could afford UCL football was obviously to get top tier players. Remember that they were dealing with Joorabchian and he would have understood their situation too the tee.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself

decorativeed

Well, I know bumping old threads is frowned upon now, but I doubt any of the contributors to this one will fancy writing all the figures out again four or five years on.

Anyway, I have updated the transfers blog here: http://manchesterunitedtransfers.blogspot.com/ to bring it up to date. This season has seen us spend our largest net amount on transfers (although LVG's splurge a couple of years back is still the highest gross amount - at least until January rolls around) and break the £1bn barrier for gross transfers in the Premier League era.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
Well, I know bumping old threads is frowned upon now, but I doubt any of the contributors to this one will fancy writing all the figures out again four or five years on.

Anyway, I have updated the transfers blog here: http://manchesterunitedtransfers.blogspot.com/ to bring it up to date. This season has seen us spend our largest net amount on transfers (although LVG's splurge a couple of years back is still the highest gross amount - at least until January rolls around) and break the £1bn barrier for gross transfers in the Premier League era.
So, United have now spent £380m net - and £483m gross - on changes to your last title-winning squad (this includes Zaha). There can be no more excuses this time around if you finish outside the top 4 for the 3rd time in four seasons.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
So, United have now spent £380m net - and £483m gross - on changes to your last title-winning squad (this includes Zaha). There can be no more excuses this time around if you finish outside the top 4 for the 3rd time in four seasons.
When you post without context it looks like this post.

decorativeed

I don't recall anyone making excuses for either Moyes or van Gaal in terms of what they achieved with the money they spent and the squads at their disposal. They were abject.