The online civil war in our fanbase

stw2022

Opinions are fine but it is those who will act as shocked as Mary Whitehouse thrown in a pool full of dildos if you criticise one player yet are perfectly fine being in other threads slagging others.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
See, I used to be like that, too but as I'm getting older, it's changing for me. These days technical mistakes, miscontrols, poor touches, misplaced passes annoy me far more than perceived lack of effort. 'Working hard' is several levels below technical excellence in my list of priorities for a footballer. I massively prefer Pogba and Martial to McTominay and James.

I'm not sure why this has changed for me. I blame Tévez, the shift probably started with him.
The thing I’ve been saying all season Pogba/Mct (and since after Xmas with James/Rashford) is that if you don’t at least work as hard as the other team they are going to find it far too easy to stop you. They might not beat us but they can majory frustrate us and we are always vulnerable on the counter as most teams have players who can hurt you these days. If you at least match the other team for work the cream will eventually rise to the top. Pogba letting runners go and Rashford walking up and down the wing have been two weaknesses in our team from that standpoint. In our team last year there were only a few players putting in major shifts of selfless teamwork and fans seem to prefer the class over the work rate. They would rather a team full of names that in reality would probably get walked through

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Hahaha of the all the posters to start this thread. The thing is he does have a point, I don’t full agree with it but he has a point.

Main reason for the “civil war” is we tell everyone we are a big club. We spent a lot. We don’t win anything. Deliver a league or a CL and most the idiots will shut up about player x or y or Ole. People just need convenient scapegoats for their frustration in the meantime.

I like and always stand up for all our players who work hardest on the pitch. I can take or leave Martial Pogba and the Rashford of last season for that reason. That’s it.
It’s an absolute nonsense that Pogba didn’t work hard last season. If you didn’t like him last season you just don’t like him and it isn’t workrate.

OL29

I have a feeling my name will come up at some point here regarding Mr Pogba. However I will always stand by what I say about him. He's definitely a real natural talent and anyone who says he isn't is wrong....However I just want to see him perform consistently in a red shirt which I don't believe he has done or ever will do no matter what we do. I also want all the off the field circus and flirting with other clubs to go away too.

I don't dislike the bloke. I don't dislike any player who puts our shirt on. I want Manchester United to be successful whoever is the coach and whoever is in the team and will always cheer them on and I'm sure everyone else does too.
Everyone’s entitled to an opinion, as we all have our preferences but shitting on certain players while claiming that anyone who criticises the players you don’t like isn’t a real fan is what makes the fanbase so polarised.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
Yup. I called it that Telles would be nowhere near Shaws level.

People were saying we would see the benefit of having an ‘actual attacking’ FB
In a way we did see the benefit. Signing Telles put a rocket up Shaws arse making him the player we see today so due credit to the club. My player of the tournament at the Euros and POTY at United. Now we need to do the same with AWB (Not that I'm saying he had a bad season)

Ali Dia

It’s an absolute nonsense that Pogba didn’t work hard last season. If you didn’t like him last season you just don’t like him and it isn’t workrate.
Did you think Rashford worked hard?

Pogba played about half a season less than McT or Fred but the same stuff happened when he played in the middle in a 2. It’s just the kind of player he is. He doesn’t fit in a 2 because he switches off. He was better on the left. No complaints from me about his workrate on the left and if he switches off he doesn’t cost us. he was a breath of fresh air compared to Rashford by March because he was tackling and trying to assist instead of running straight for goal every time

Red Star One

Sancho7 FC
Prince Andrew, Nigel Farage, Ravel Morrison

Sancho7 out
Gigi Donnarumma, Gareth Southgate, people from countries “smelling shittier than England”

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I’ve noticed this for a while but the euros seemed to amplify it. There seems to be 2 sides who all love/hate the same players

Bruno FC / Ole In
Bruno, Rashford, Maguire, Shaw, McTominay

Pogba FC / Ole out
Pogba, Martial, Fred, van de Beek, Bailly

has anyone else noticed this? Twitter is infested with it. I literally saw “United fans” wishing the worst for players like Bruno & Maguire at the euros, of course with the obligatory Pogba profile pic. What’s weird to me is they all parrot the exact same opinions as each other, particularly the Pogba side, they all hate Rashford & Bruno, they all think Maguire is a fridge & Shaw is fat, Bailly & Telles are better etc. If someone reps Pogba you can guarantee they love Martial and think Rashford/Bruno are shit. The other side are slightly less toxic but still unbearable, particularly with scrutinising every move Paul Pogba makes & making deluded claims about McTominay’s ceiling.
One of the LUHG lot accidentally outed themselves as a Liverpool fan by tweeting from the wrong account the other day. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot more are similar cases.

I don't really get why these people get so much attention. A lot of them are likely children or adults on the spectrum that just want attention or to fit in. If you ignore them they'll lose their audience. Same as everything else in that vein.

Ali Dia

I’m ole in and I really like fred and James. I find McT frustrating but appreciate his aggression and spirit even if he isn’t a good tackler or passer.

Pogba and Martial just don’t work hard enough for me. For me it feels like the hangover from LVG and Jose but we are slowly sorting it out, they are the biggest names left. From now on I’m giving Rashford a pass because he was injured and he needs surgery and probably put it off for a year instead of missing 1/3 of a season when we needed him. I wish the manager had just played Pogba or James out there from March on though and given Donny Mcts place a bit more often. Apart from that who else really was there?

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Everyone’s entitled to an opinion, as we all have our preferences but shitting on certain players while claiming that anyone who criticises the players you don’t like isn’t a real fan is what makes the fanbase so polarised.
In my defence I don't have a go at people for saying Pogba is a natural talent because I agree with that. He clearly is. I have a go at people who grossly exaggerate how good he's been for us. His level of performance over the last 5 years isn't what I'd hoped it would be. I expected a world beater and we didn't get one. That's not to say he's a poor player because he clearly isn't. I just think all the baggage he comes with just isn't worth it anymore.

I think most of the SKY, BT pundits are fair on him personally. They all agree there's a top player in there somewhere when you strip back all the circus stuff that comes along with him.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
I’ve noticed this for a while but the euros seemed to amplify it. There seems to be 2 sides who all love/hate the same players

Bruno FC / Ole In

Pogba FC / Ole out

has anyone else noticed this? Twitter is infested with it. I literally saw “United fans” wishing the worst for players like Bruno & Maguire at the euros, of course with the obligatory Pogba profile pic. What’s weird to me is they all parrot the exact same opinions as each other, particularly the Pogba side, they all hate Rashford & Bruno, they all think Maguire is a fridge & Shaw is fat, Bailly & Telles are better etc. If someone reps Pogba you can guarantee they love Martial and think Rashford/Bruno are shit. The other side are slightly less toxic but still unbearable, particularly with scrutinising every move Paul Pogba makes & making deluded claims about McTominay’s ceiling.
Hmm, I'm definitely Bruno FC/Ole in but I love Eric Bailly and am critical of Maguire (though he's improving). This is confusing.

Siorac

The thing I’ve been saying all season Pogba/Mct (and since after Xmas with James/Rashford) is that if you don’t at least work as hard as the other team they are going to find it far too easy to stop you. They might not beat us but they can majory frustrate us and we are always vulnerable on the counter as most teams have players who can hurt you these days. If you at least match the other team for work the cream will eventually rise to the top. Pogba letting runners go and Rashford walking up and down the wing have been two weaknesses in our team from that standpoint. In our team last year there were only a few players putting in major shifts of selfless teamwork and fans seem to prefer the class over the work rate. They would rather a team full of names that in reality would probably get walked through
If you pack a team with workhorses it's still going to be shite though. Liverpool fans used to sing that they want a team of Carraghers but let's face it, that would have been awful. Well, for them. I would have found it hilarious. But anyway.

Matching the other teams' workrate is still useless if your players simply aren't very good at football. And in the modern game, very few, if any, of the top teams employ a player who isn't too hot at the whole football thing but at least runs around a lot. Pogba might be a luxury player but in a sense, so is McTominay (yeah, bear with me, I know 'luxury' isn't a word you'd associate with him): someone who can't play football very well needs to be carried by his more talented colleagues the same way others have to do the grunt work for Pogba. In an era where collective organisation rules supreme, you can't afford passengers in either sense.

tomaldinho1

Definitely more than two camps.

I think most though are generally in agreement on players (Pogba can be amazing but is infuriating, Bruno is amazing but was run into the ground, Shaw is class, AWB needs to improve offensively, Henderson has question marks next to his name as No1, Fred is important for us but makes errors, McT probably isn’t good enough right now etc.) and the big divide is simply those who think we can challenge under Ole versus those who don’t.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

Bruno FC / Ole In

Pogba FC / Ole out

Another one of your legendary threads.

I think the bigger issue is the absolute knee jerk nature of views (you'll understand that).

Take Martial. Great season 2019/20, and then a bad last one. Seemingly everyone has now decided he's useless and needs shipping!

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
Another debate about "Toxic Fandoms" *yawn*

But then personally I think the constant demand from football fanbases for more and more money to be spent on transfers is very toxic, so maybe I'm being hypocritical.

RUCK4444

In a way we did see the benefit. Signing Telles put a rocket up Shaws arse making him the player we see today so due credit to the club. My player of the tournament at the Euros and POTY at United. Now we need to do the same with AWB (Not that I'm saying he had a bad season)
Yeah it may have helped from that aspect, however Shaw is a player who's form usually has an upward trajectory when he's fit and playing. Great player, such a shame he broke his leg when he did as his form was something like it is now at that time.

Ali Dia

If you pack a team with workhorses it's still going to be shite though. Liverpool fans used to sing that they want a team of Carraghers but let's face it, that would have been awful. Well, for them. I would have found it hilarious. But anyway.

Matching the other teams' workrate is still useless if your players simply aren't very good at football. And in the modern game, very few, if any, of the top teams employ a player who isn't too hot at the whole football thing but at least runs around a lot. Pogba might be a luxury player but in a sense, so is McTominay (yeah, bear with me, I know 'luxury' isn't a word you'd associate with him): someone who can't play football very well needs to be carried by his more talented colleagues the same way others have to do the grunt work for Pogba. In an era where collective organisation rules supreme, you can't afford passengers in either sense.
point taken but in a team that already has or had Pogba before Bruno came in, Rashford Greenwood and Martial before Cavani came in then you need to strike a counter balance behind them. You can’t have a passive midfield that’s easy to turn over (I include Bruno in this) if your wingers don’t track back and you also want your full backs to bomb on and take chances and occasionally your central midfielders too. You can’t dwell on the ball and give it away in central midfield and not track back while everyone is bombing on as per instructions and then blame your teammates. That’s totally basic stuff that shouldn’t keep happening. We do need another controller in the engine room no doubt about it and I’m also hoping for a decent level of intensity off the ball from our wingers this year once they are up to speed.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Did you think Rashford worked hard?

Pogba played about half a season less than McT or Fred but the same stuff happened when he played in the middle in a 2. It’s just the kind of player he is. He doesn’t fit in a 2 because he switches off. He was better on the left. No complaints from me about his workrate on the left and if he switches off he doesn’t cost us. he was a breath of fresh air compared to Rashford by March because he was tackling and trying to assist instead of running straight for goal every time
I think what you’re talking about is a type of player….not workrate. A defensive midfielder I would expect to track runs better than an offensive player. Similarly I expect offensive players to spot runs and play incisive passes better than defensive players. Beyond that everything is a sliding scale. We have defensive players who track runs better than Pogba but don’t do their actual job better on a scale than Pogba does his.

I look at Sancho and worry what some of our fans will expect and what they will make of him. From the games Ive watched he really isn’t great defensively. He seems to mark an area of the pitch but doesn’t go with runners.

That isn’t the be all and end all of football in any case. Sancho is a superb footballer. Someone who if you surround him with like minded and technically similar players will ensure you don’t need to be chasing the ball and runners (close your eyes) Pogba, Martial, Rashford and possibly VDB would link superbly with him in my opinion. They are technically fantastic (VDB maybe less so) and play combination football.

England lost the Euros because the manager is obsessed with runners and tracking. Italy didn’t outrun or out track England. They played them off the pitch technically.

There’s more to football than tracking runners.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
I’m ole in and I really like fred and James. I find McT frustrating but appreciate his aggression and spirit even if he isn’t a good tackler or passer.

Pogba and Martial just don’t work hard enough for me. For me it feels like the hangover from LVG and Jose but we are slowly sorting it out, they are the biggest names left. From now on I’m giving Rashford a pass because he was injured and he needs surgery and probably put it off for a year instead of missing 1/3 of a season when we needed him. I wish the manager had just played Pogba or James out there from March on though and given Donny Mcts place a bit more often. Apart from that who else really was there?
To be honest me and you are never going to agree, we like completely different types of players :lol::D

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Definitely more than two camps.

I think most though are generally in agreement on players (Pogba can be amazing but is infuriating, Bruno is amazing but was run into the ground, Shaw is class, AWB needs to improve offensively, Henderson has question marks next to his name as No1, Fred is important for us but makes errors, McT probably isn’t good enough right now etc.) and the big divide is simply those who think we can challenge under Ole versus those who don’t.
Bruno is infuriating, it’s not that he was run into the ground….it’s how he plays

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Fans will always have preference as to the football they enjoy. To me, it is the most basic form of football enjoyment to watch ‘beautiful football’, so I always have a preference for our most talented players.

But then I’ve seen a number of people on here, over the last couple of years, refer to Scott McTominay as their ‘favourite player’. Different tastes. For me personally, I cannot see how any grown up who was raised loving football can decide that of all the football players in the world, Scott McTominay is their favourite. He’s amongst the last players I’d expect to be anyone’s favourite, no disrespect to him. Appreciate his value and usefulness by all means, but anyone who watches football to see Scott McTominay play it seems strange to me. Personally.

48 hours

Our online fan base are angels compared to England fans.
Well the England fans contain Millwall, Stoke, Stockport and other awful fan groups who get to act like Billy Bigballs when England play due to the slight chance they may win something

Ali Dia

I think what you’re talking about is a type of player….not workrate. A defensive midfielder I would expect to track runs better than an offensive player. Similarly I expect offensive players to spot runs and play incisive passes better than defensive players. Beyond that everything is a sliding scale. We have defensive players who track runs better than Pogba but don’t do their actual job better on a scale than Pogba does his.

I look at Sancho and worry what some of our fans will expect and what they will make of him. From the games Ive watched he really isn’t great defensively. He seems to mark an area of the pitch but doesn’t go with runners.

That isn’t the be all and end all of football in any case. Sancho is a superb footballer. Someone who if you surround him with like minded and technically similar players will ensure you don’t need to be chasing the ball and runners (close your eyes) Pogba, Martial, Rashford and possibly VDB would link superbly with him in my opinion. They are technically fantastic (VDB maybe less so) and play combination football.

England lost the Euros because the manager is obsessed with runners and tracking. Italy didn’t outrun or out track England. They played them off the pitch technically.

There’s more to football than tracking runners.
So Pogba as an attacker getting around 10 g/a and out for half a season did a better job than our ever present players who actually got us to second through the whole season? I just don’t buy that. AWB Maguire Shaw Fred Bruno and Rashford were all more important over more games.

In most end of season ratings. Pogba is in the top of the middle of the squad for the more neutral observers. Pogba is about level with Greenwood and Cavan for me but he is currently a squad player and our second highest paid player. He doesn’t have a set position in the team anymore. I get it that you like him. I also like him on the ball but I’ve make my peace with the fact that he’s at his best as an attacking midfielder but Bruno is just a much better fit for us.

Bruno is better for PL football in general. He runs and he keeps his intensity up popping up all over the place. He’s also more productive and vocal on the pitch. We wouldn’t have had to sign Bruno if Pogba actually was what you think he is (#1 attacking midfielder) At this stage he’s a luxury that is giving the manager a major decision to make. For 400k the manager and fans should automatically know they are getting serious value for money and i just don’t see that anymore. I see injuries, agent and second best in his best position.

Last edited:

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
Yeah it may have helped from that aspect, however Shaw is a player who's form usually has an upward trajectory when he's fit and playing. Great player, such a shame he broke his leg when he did as his form was something like it is now at that time.
Definitely was a tragedy that leg break as he was in fantastic form. It could of been a lot worse for him after having a couple of blood clots where he almost lost his leg. Thankfully that's all in the past and we're once again seeing the player we all thought we signed which potentially was one of the best LBs in the world.

He'sRaldo

Main reason for the “civil war” is we tell everyone we are a big club. We spent a lot. We don’t win anything. Deliver a league or a CL and most the idiots will shut up about player x or y or Ole. People just need convenient scapegoats for their frustration in the meantime.
Definitely, though judging by your posts you would do well to remember that yourself.

If we win, most of the players' will have positive opinions of them, while if we lose everything will be nitpicked. The only true divide is whether or not the manager can win stuff.

There have been some shocking players rated highly by other teams' fans simply because the manager won stuff with them. Once we start winning, the crying about different players will significantly reduce.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
One of the LUHG lot accidentally outed themselves as a Liverpool fan by tweeting from the wrong account the other day. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot more are similar cases.

I don't really get why these people get so much attention. A lot of them are likely children or adults on the spectrum that just want attention or to fit in. If you ignore them they'll lose their audience. Same as everything else in that vein.
Was it that Mike fella? I remember him talking about Rashford doing his charity & school meal work solely for PR. Pure scum bag.

Schneiderman

Bruno FC all the way. McTominay will be the GOAT.

Pogba FC are obviously all English hating racists.
White text

PSV

Someone once told me your hate becomes diluted if you flaunt it. Spending it on footballers would be silly when you could concentrate it elsewhere.

As for the teams I'm Bruno FC all the way. Wouldn't mind if all players from Pogba FC were playing for other clubs come start of season, but I don't afford myself to hate them.

Vanrouge

Bruno FC / Ole In

Pogba FC / Ole out

This appears to reflect... absolutely nothing. Everyone is unique. I personally am not an anyone out type; I'm a supporter, so in public I support our players and manager and rarely if ever speak negatively about any of them. So for me there are no "sides." I hope Pogba stays (players like him are why I watch and love football), that Martial rediscovers his form, that we find the balance in midfield to be able to fully utilize the abilities of our players, including McTominay, Fred (Copa America fully reinforced his value) and VDB (we should never judge a player new to the Prem after a single season), and that Maguire continues his exponential improvement. Rashford needs a rest and Bruno is perfectly fine. And who among United fans is not supportive of Luke Shaw?

Last edited:

AshRK

There is Jose FC as well who are ofcourse part of Ole out but rep Dalot, Matic, Telles

fergies coat

Bruno FC / Ole In

Pogba FC / Ole out
In a five a side game? Probably Bruno FC.

Bailly would get injured after 5 minutes.

Van de Beek wouldn't get of the bench.

Fred wouldn't score. Especially with smaller goals.

Pogba would be to busy moving beer bottles out of the way to care.

Martial would be Martial.