The online civil war in our fanbase

Stacks

I’ve noticed this for a while but the euros seemed to amplify it. There seems to be 2 sides who all love/hate the same players

Bruno FC / Ole In
Bruno, Rashford, Maguire, Shaw, McTominay

Pogba FC / Ole out
Pogba, Martial, Fred, van de Beek, Bailly

has anyone else noticed this? Twitter is infested with it. I literally saw “United fans” wishing the worst for players like Bruno & Maguire at the euros, of course with the obligatory Pogba profile pic. What’s weird to me is they all parrot the exact same opinions as each other, particularly the Pogba side, they all hate Rashford & Bruno, they all think Maguire is a fridge & Shaw is fat, Bailly & Telles are better etc. If someone reps Pogba you can guarantee they love Martial and think Rashford/Bruno are shit. The other side are slightly less toxic but still unbearable, particularly with scrutinising every move Paul Pogba makes & making deluded claims about McTominay’s ceiling.
so true haha.

tomaldinho1

Bruno is infuriating, it’s not that he was run into the ground….it’s how he plays
I agree he loses possession way too much and has zero positional discipline but that’s also how he’s being asked to play. At the moment I don’t think any United fan would disagree that his goal contributions are worth the trade off. So far at least.

For what it’s worth I think he’d thrive in a more structured possession based system where he’s not trying to do everything.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
I agree he loses possession way too much and has zero positional discipline but that’s also how he’s being asked to play. At the moment I don’t think any United fan would disagree that his goal contributions are worth the trade off. So far at least.

For what it’s worth I think he’d thrive in a more structured possession based system where he’s not trying to do everything.
I believe I read recently Pogba has actually been dispossessed more than Bruno in about 15 less games… that’s not a good stat if it’s actually true

manutddjw

It's not just our fanbase.

With the rise of social media and fan channels particularly AFTV, people are seeing that either being a troll or ranting like an idiot will get you rich and famous. A channel where a person articulately breaks down tactics and provides constructive criticism with stats to back it up, won't draw anywhere near the views than some idiot who says "blud" and "fam" every other word.

Also with the rise of prices to watch football both live and on television and streaming not being as accessible as it once was, people aren't watching games but are relying on highlights and tweets to form an opinion. You can really tell whose watched a game and who hasn't.

Lastly people think FIFA is real life. Transfers are easy to complete, if you have pace you're as good as Messi, if you play any young player ever they will automatically become amazing in 3 seasons and so on. My buddy was arguing with his fellow Arsenal brethren were arguing on Twitter about Saliba and the other guy legit screenshotted a graphic from FIFA showing how high Saliba's potential was. I'm serious. The world's gone mad.

tomaldinho1

I believe I read recently Pogba has actually been dispossessed more than Bruno in about 15 less games… that’s not a good stat if it’s actually true
I'd imagine Pogba has lost the ball more from a tackle/bad touch whereas Bruno will be much worse for losing the ball from a bad pass. Both lose your team possession, Pogba's issue (and why he gets killed on here) is he often loses it much deeper. That said, Bruno tried that nutmeg when we were under pressure (can't remember against who) where we conceded from him being dispossessed and he was heavily criticised so I think we have a pretty balanced fan base for the most part.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Not sure about the Bruno/Pogba/Ole relation but it is definitely there. The OP isn't making this up. Mainly on Twitter you have Pogba vs Bruno, Martial vs Rashford, Fred vs McTominay (even a bit on the caf as well during Copa). They seem to be correlated in that same pattern as well. It is very weird.

slored1

What the feck is this tripe. I support all our players and the manager until the day they're not at the club. Only person I didn't support was Mourinho in October 2018 when it got toxic.

Last edited:

DSG

With the rise of social media and fan channels particularly AFTV, people are seeing that either being a troll or ranting like an idiot will get you rich and famous. A channel where a person articulately breaks down tactics and provides constructive criticism with stats to back it up, won't draw anywhere near the views than some idiot who says "blud" and "fam" every other word.

Also with the rise of prices to watch football both live and on television and streaming not being as accessible as it once was, people aren't watching games but are relying on highlights and tweets to form an opinion. You can really tell whose watched a game and who hasn't.

Lastly people think FIFA is real life. Transfers are easy to complete, if you have pace you're as good as Messi, if you play any young player ever they will automatically become amazing in 3 seasons and so on. My buddy was arguing with his fellow Arsenal brethren were arguing on Twitter about Saliba and the other guy legit screenshotted a graphic from FIFA showing how high Saliba's potential was. I'm serious. The world's gone mad.
There is no nuance or compromise left in society. This permeates all areas of daily life, from religion, politics, youth sports, food, music, movies…. The lack of ability to appreciate a different viewpoint, maybe disagree and argue, but learn something new, or maybe a different perspective, is now gone. It’s on BOTH sides. And the middle is becoming less and less populated.

Regarding the Ole in / Ole out debate, I personally lean hard towards Ole in, but we need to be intelligent enough to see that if the team underperforms after this transfer window AND a top manager becomes available, it may make sense to move on. Again, life is really shades of gray, not black and white. I blame social media, that’s why I’ve closed my accounts and restricted my news sources to straight reporting (Reuters, AP), stopped watching the news. My only true source of poison in the Caf, and that’s pretty manageable (ha!).

‘I’m the most excited I’ve ever been about a season post SAF, so I hope we can execute a few more transfers, both in and out, and continue progress.

DSG

Not sure about the Bruno/Pogba/Ole relation but it is definitely there. The OP isn't making this up. Mainly on Twitter you have Pogba vs Bruno, Martial vs Rashford, Fred vs McTominay (even a bit on the caf as well during Copa). They seem to be correlated in that same pattern as well. It is very weird.
Wow. I thought Martial Island was, like, down to a population of 7. :lol:

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
I am on nobody's side, because nobody is on my side

Andy_Cole

How about pro England and anti England.

The ones who love united hate England can feck off to be honest.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
Wait, what? There's fans that don't like/want Bruno?

:confused:
I've just learned this now, too. I don't have a twitter account and from what I've heard about it I don't understand people using it on a daily basis. Sure some transfer tweet can be useful sometimes but you already have a thread on that here.

People should seriously use as little social media as they absolutely have to imo. For their own's health sake.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Not sure why OP listed Fred on the 'Pogba FC' side. The others I can understand even if I don't necessary agree, but if anything the ones who are vocal Pogba fans tend to be the ones who most dislike Fred from what I see.

Of course I have no interest whatsoever in football twitter and don't understand why anybody would. Maybe follow some particular people who are good on there, but why would you trawl through the rest of the cesspool?

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
There is no nuance or compromise left in society. This permeates all areas of daily life, from religion, politics, youth sports, food, music, movies…. The lack of ability to appreciate a different viewpoint, maybe disagree and argue, but learn something new, or maybe a different perspective, is now gone. It’s on BOTH sides. And the middle is becoming less and less populated.

Regarding the Ole in / Ole out debate, I personally lean hard towards Ole in, but we need to be intelligent enough to see that if the team underperforms after this transfer window AND a top manager becomes available, it may make sense to move on. Again, life is really shades of gray, not black and white. I blame social media, that’s why I’ve closed my accounts and restricted my news sources to straight reporting (Reuters, AP), stopped watching the news. My only true source of poison in the Caf, and that’s pretty manageable (ha!).

‘I’m the most excited I’ve ever been about a season post SAF, so I hope we can execute a few more transfers, both in and out, and continue progress.
Just going on how online dialogue and banter had been evolving on the caf, I refused to get on Twitter when it came out ~15 years ago.

I've also pretty much stopped logging onto Facebook, just go in there to remind myself what so and so's kid was called and such.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
I've just learned this now, too. I don't have a twitter account and from what I've heard about it I don't understand people using it on a daily basis. Sure some transfer tweet can be useful sometimes but you already have a thread on that here.

People should seriously use as little social media as they absolutely have to imo. For their own's health sake.
And that is long enough!

Agree on SM, see above ^^^

Cloud7

In this thread: Having a discussion with differing viewpoints is called a civil war

OmarUnited4ever

I’ve noticed this for a while but the euros seemed to amplify it. There seems to be 2 sides who all love/hate the same players

Bruno FC / Ole In

Pogba FC / Ole out

has anyone else noticed this? Twitter is infested with it. I literally saw “United fans” wishing the worst for players like Bruno & Maguire at the euros, of course with the obligatory Pogba profile pic. What’s weird to me is they all parrot the exact same opinions as each other, particularly the Pogba side, they all hate Rashford & Bruno, they all think Maguire is a fridge & Shaw is fat, Bailly & Telles are better etc. If someone reps Pogba you can guarantee they love Martial and think Rashford/Bruno are shit. The other side are slightly less toxic but still unbearable, particularly with scrutinising every move Paul Pogba makes & making deluded claims about McTominay’s ceiling.

I am on the fence on Ole but leaning towards Ole In, a Pogba FC and a Rashford cultist

Occasionally Ole Out, but love Maguire, Bruno & McTominay.

I also have love/hate relationship with Bailly, and for some reason I am indifferent toward Lindelof.

But overall I generally support the players in our team and wish them success with United.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Who is in goal for Pogba FC? And who does Wan Bissaka play for?

Mainoldo

There’s was actually a very active thread on it. I found it very odd. Didn’t realise so many fans had this English hate.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22

I think you will find nobody really hates the England team. It’s just that many of the supporters are knob ends and folks just want to see them fail as a result.

Mainoldo

Who is in goal for Pogba FC? And who does Wan Bissaka play for?
De Gea.

Wan Bissaka is good for both sides I think.

Not quite tekky enough for the Pogba FC but he’s a brother so he can hang.

Very passionate so fits in with Bruno FC and he’s a brother that isn’t flamboyant so he can hang with them too.
:lol:

Mainoldo

I think you will find nobody really hates the England team. It’s just that many of the supporters are knob ends and folks just want to see them fail as a result.
What’s the supports have to do with the players though? Isn’t that who we are supposed to be supporting.

AFC NimbleThumb

Quite a few assumptions & generalisations in there.

Good point about the rise in cost to watch the game meaning not as many people are seeing the full 90 minutes though.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
De Gea.

Wan Bissaka is good for both sides I think.

Not quite tekky enough for the Pogba FC but he’s a brother so he can hang.

Very passionate so fits in with Bruno FC and he’s a brother that isn’t flamboyant so he can hang with them too.
:lol:
Lingard and Jones are also Pogba FC.

Foxbatt

Bruno FC / Ole In

Pogba FC / Ole out

What do you mean? I am Bruno in, Pogba in and I think Maguire is top class and Shaw is the best left back in the country and Bailly is a disaster waiting to happen and I do not think Telles is better. I am still not convinced by Ole. I have heard Maguire being called names but never a fridge. :lol:

lsd

The Oracle

That's Fergie gone then. Shame he was a great manager for us I thought.

Still so long as it never came home

Flytan

I'm of the mind that ole has done enough to keep his job but he will never win a major trophy. I don't think he's tactically good enough and unless he surrounds himself with better assistant managers he will be gone this season.

I think Bruno is fine but was ran into the ground due to no rest. I hope he can recover.

I also am fine with pogba leaving, great player, even if we have to strain ourselves to accommodate him but I'm tired of raiola and pogba doesn't ever shut him up.

Giggs86

What is this, Lost? Camp Jack vs camp Locke? Team 'man of science' vs team 'man of faith'?

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
I'm of the mind that ole has done enough to keep his job but he will never win a major trophy. I don't think he's tactically good enough and unless he surrounds himself with better assistant managers he will be gone this season.

I think Bruno is fine but was ran into the ground due to no rest. I hope he can recover.

I also am fine with pogba leaving, great player, even if we have to strain ourselves to accommodate him but I'm tired of raiola and pogba doesn't ever shut him up.
The source of the war isn't the players but the Manager.

Some of us feels that Ole is not the man for the job, while some other believes that he is. The rest probably lies somewhere in between. That's the Sokovia accord. The rest is just minor skirmishes.

If we somehow magically have a 60 years old Fergie at helm (or someone we all can rally behind) all this would be afterthought, pogba or no pogba if this is Fergie's era we won't even bat an eyelid.

Only now i realized the gravity of the lines "In SAF we trust"