The opportunism of MUST during Rooneygate.

B Cantona

Desperate
I do love how Jason doesn't seem to realise just how many folk think he's a knob, who spouts nothing but garbage about the game and events surrounding it on a regular basis

Not to blow my own trumpet, but at least when I'm called a tiresome prick, it's usually with the words 'your contributions to the football forums are great, BUT'... followed by said insult :)

Jason is about as intellectually dishonest as it gets. Everything he accuses others off, he performs two fold himself

Bearded but no genius

I'm not getting into that debate with you given your previous action, but suffice to say everybody in here (including the other mods, I'm sure) knows there was no genuine allegation of racism, so I really don't know who you're trying to kid with that.
Suit yourself. Self pitying is the phrase that comes to mind.

Bearded but no genius

I do love how Jason doesn't seem to realise just how many folk think he's a knob, who spouts nothing but garbage about the game and events surrounding it on a regular basis

Not to blow my own trumpet, but at least when I'm called a tiresome prick, it's usually with the words 'your contributions to the football forums are great, BUT'... followed by said insult :)

Jason is about as intellectually dishonest as it gets. Everything he accuses others off, he performs two fold himself
Thank you.

B Cantona

Desperate
I'm always upset, so technically I can never 'become'

Marching my mate has been PNE home and away virtually unbroken for the decade, completely unbroken for about 7 years including pre season

He got a job opportunity in China which he took up a few weeks back

Guess which game he missed because he was boarding a plane to his new country?!

Marching

Somehow still supports Leeds
I'm always upset, so technically I can never 'become'

Marching my mate has been PNE home and away virtually unbroken for the decade, completely unbroken for about 7 years including pre season

He got a job opportunity in China which he took up a few weeks back

Guess which game he missed because he was boarding a plane to his new country?!
:lol:

Guess which Leeds game I thought would be a good one to go and see in Sept...easy home win I thought.

Marching

Somehow still supports Leeds
I love lesbians!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I do seem to have upset Brad. We can't have him holding a grudge against RedCafe, can we?
Can we just have him bear a grudge against you? :lol:

He does have a sense of humour though...

:lol:

B Cantona

Desperate
Jason, stop confusing 'the Caf' and 'the mods' with you

Not that I have a grudge with you, as you know when I've sent you friendly PM's (that you've ignored, probably lost in that vortex that comes up here when it suits :)), I just happen to think you spout the most tripe of any person I've ever had the privilege to, well, not meet

And the evidence is I'm far from alone

Redjazz

Sorry ralphie but you continue to make things up to support your argument.

The only "top, top player" that I can remember us buying was Veron. That really was one for the transfer muppets to get orgasmic about at the time.

Yes, we have always bought high quality players but I think you're looking back with the red-tinted specs a bit here.

In 2001 Real Madrid signed Zidane for 75million (euros) - at the time, I think that was in the region of £45million. Now, that is a top, top player going for a fee that we have never even come close to matching to this day - almost ten years on.

But this is where you are coming from with your argument, that we should be buying the "Zidane's" of today because that's what we used to do. You're wrong.

You're also forgetting the fact that our most expensive transfer came during the Glazer era (Berbatov).
True. We did buy "top, top players such as Djemba Djemba, Bellion and Kleberson" during the PLC days. We also purchased complete duds in Ferdinand(2002) and Rooney (2005). What was Fergie thinking, paying British and World record fees for a defender and a teenager? Presumably he must have thought he was buying world class talent with those world record fees. Will he ever learn?

As for the pressures to reduce costs being less under the PLC, I don't know where you're coming from to be honest.

The wage bill under the PLC was £80m at its peak. Turnover was around £150m at its peak.

The wage bill is now £130m and the turnover £285m.

That means that, all else being equal, we should have £85m more to play with under the Glazers than we did before. This being the case, the debt is having very little effect on us in terms of us being under pressure to cut costs at the expense of a competitive squad.

You're basically doing what MUST do in a lot of their arguments - just looking for the anti-Glazer angle and going with it without regard for where it leaves other arguments (in a state of contradiction mostly).

Again, I point you to something I was saying a few days ago - look at where we were in the league for the last couple of years of the PLC - miles behind. Chelsea were buying all the players and we were reduced to buying such "top, top players" such as Djemba Djemba, Bellion and Kleberson.
Where do you get your figures? I hope you aren't in the habit of making "things up to support your argument".

Turnover in 2004 was 170m. Turnover in 2003 was 173m.

We had\have other operating expenses besides staff costs; and those jumped from 30-35m then to 50m-60m today.

True, EBITDA (cash profits) has increased from the last full year accounts under the plc-58m in 2004 (peak) to 100m today. But in the last 7 years of the PLC proper (1998-2004), cash profits (ranging from 27m to 58m) supported an average net spend on players of c. 20m pa. Since then the net spend has halved (10m-11m) even though cash profits have increased.

The total deficit in player net spend (under the Glazer plan) is around 70-80m- this is (25-10'ish) by 5. Had we used all the 'Ronaldo money' to purchase players then the actual net spend would equal the planned net spend and hence no deficit and fewer complaints about the net spend figures.

However, the total deficit in net spend (roughly the fungible equivalent of the 'Ronaldo money') still remains in the bank (or did so at YE 2010).
It's ridiculous to claim that all the 'Ronaldo money' has been spent when the club's accounts categorically refute it: Cash in bank at YE 2008 was 50m. Cash in bank at YE 2009- post the Ronaldo sale and the Aon downpayment- was 150m. It has since increased to 164m. Andersred, in his blog, provides a more complete explanation for this build-up in cash reserves.

Of course it's nonsense to claim that the club must spend 25m (net) on players every year merely because that is what the plan allows. But if the club spends less than plan, then you would expect a surplus to build up (Vs plan) and, indeed, that's the situation the club finds itself in; the club has a large cash surplus than can be directed to inward investment. A large chunk of it (95m in carveouts) can also be used to pay down the PIK.

If the Glazers take the carveouts, it will happen this year; financially, it makes senses to do so as soon as possible; and next year the carveouts would be treated as a 'relevant expense' under the FFP regs, with our break-even position taking a massive hit. And if\when the carveouts are taken, cash reserves will fall back to pre-Ronaldo, pre-Aon levels.

I realise I'm circling the 'Mulberry bush' a bit here and I am likey to draw deserved censure along the lines of:

Does this not all belong in the main Glazer thread?
But, in my defence, I am responding to the dodgy financial finaglings of a certain poster.

B Cantona

Desperate
I asked you how you were doing and how life was treating you, the last PM I sent you. Was a while back now, it met no response

I don't keep my sent mail anymore, you can believe me or not but I have (marginally slightly) better things to do with my time than make up things like this

TheMancRedDevil

True. We did buy "top, top players such as Djemba Djemba, Bellion and Kleberson" during the PLC days. We also purchased complete duds in Ferdinand(2002) and Rooney (2005). What was Fergie thinking, paying British and World record fees for a defender and a teenager? Presumably he must have thought he was buying world class talent with those world record fees. Will he ever learn?
Yawn, redjazz. Fergie does what Fergie has always done is my point. Yes, he has bought a few duds since 2005 and yes he bought a few duds prior to 2005 but the opposite is also true.

ralphie was trying to make out that before 2005, we always bought "top, top players" and I was just pointing out the error of his ways.

Where do you get your figures? I hope you aren't in the habit of making "things up to support your argument".

Turnover in 2004 was 170m. Turnover in 2003 was 173m.
I am embarrassed at this. It was a genuine mistake because I always argue these figures from memory. Unlike others, I don't sit here with a dossier of facts and figures by my side - perhaps I should start to do that.

I can only say that it was not a deliberate attempt to bullshit but a genuine memory lapse.

We had\have other operating expenses besides staff costs; and those jumped from 30-35m then to 50m-60m today.

True, EBITDA (cash profits) has increased from the last full year accounts under the plc-58m in 2004 (peak) to 100m today. But in the last 7 years of the PLC proper (1998-2004), cash profits (ranging from 27m to 58m) supported an average net spend on players of c. 20m pa. Since then the net spend has halved (10m-11m) even though cash profits have increased.

The total deficit in player net spend (under the Glazer plan) is around 70-80m- this is (25-10'ish) by 5. Had we used all the 'Ronaldo money' to purchase players then the actual net spend would equal the planned net spend and hence no deficit and fewer complaints about the net spend figures.

However, the total deficit in net spend (roughly the fungible equivalent of the 'Ronaldo money') still remains in the bank (or did so at YE 2010).
It's ridiculous to claim that all the 'Ronaldo money' has been spent when the club's accounts categorically refute it: Cash in bank at YE 2008 was 50m. Cash in bank at YE 2009- post the Ronaldo sale and the Aon downpayment- was 150m. It has since increased to 164m. Andersred, in his blog, provides a more complete explanation for this build-up in cash reserves.

Of course it's nonsense to claim that the club must spend 25m (net) on players every year merely because that is what the plan allows. But if the club spends less than plan, then you would expect a surplus to build up (Vs plan) and, indeed, that's the situation the club finds itself in; the club has a large cash surplus than can be directed to inward investment. A large chunk of it (95m in carveouts) can also be used to pay down the PIK.

If the Glazers take the carveouts, it will happen this year; financially, it makes senses to do so as soon as possible; and next year the carveouts would be treated as a 'relevant expense' under the FFP regs, with our break-even position taking a massive hit. And if\when the carveouts are taken, cash reserves will fall back to pre-Ronaldo, pre-Aon levels.

I realise I'm circling the 'Mulberry bush' a bit here and I am likey to draw deserved censure along the lines of:

But, in my defence, I am responding to the dodgy financial finaglings of a certain poster.
Yes, take it to the Glazer thread. I have deliberately toned down my Glazer stuff on this thread in order that Brad, Jason and A1Dan have more room for their petty squabbles.

I general, as I have advised you before... let's wait until the money is taken out before we start to factor in it's effect, eh?

I'm not playing your game anymore Redjazz. Your game is as much about inventing scenarios as mine is... except my mistake was accidental.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Yes, I thought that too, to be fair.

Chuck it in the thread that no one ever reads! :lol:
and why does no-one ever read it?

because its half a dozen posters going round and round in circles playing the same records. The rest of us are bored listening to you all.

Now its happening in this thread too

TheMancRedDevil

and why does no-one ever read it?

because its half a dozen posters going round and round in circles playing the same records. The rest of us are bored listening to you all.

Now its happening in this thread too
It's a very unfortunate position to be in, to be honest.

Time and again I see someone say something money-related in the footballing threads and I'm sure I am not the only one who wants to jump in and say something but I don't because I respect the fact that not everyone wants to hear a financial diatribe.

The Glazer thread is a merge of a merge of a merged thread and has become a complete mess.

Unfortunately, a lot of fan opinion is based around an erroneous view of our financial situation and the Glazer ownership.

I wish more people would get involved because if more people knew our true situation instead of relying on the one-sided view of MUST for their information, the world would be a better place.

golden_blunder

Staff
because if more people knew our true situation instead of relying on the one-sided view of MUST for their information, the world would be a better place.
This is where i take exception with both sides of the argument. No-one, apart from the Glazers (and perhaps Gill), knows the TRUE situation that the club is in.

The rest is people making informed and uninformed readings of financials, etc.

Frankly both sides are talking shite IMHO.

B Cantona

Desperate
This is where i take exception with both sides of the argument. No-one, apart from the Glazers (and perhaps Gill), knows the TRUE situation that the club is in.

We all know how much better we'd be doing if the club didn't have a giant debt not of its own making to service though GB, that's irrefutable

golden_blunder

Staff
Well, close the thread.

That seems to be standard procedure for anything criticising MUST around here.
don't get narky with me

If i close the thread its because its ran its course. I'm not picking sides in this, i'm saying both sides are now running out the same verbal diarrhea that has oozed out of their bungholes in every other thread about MUST or the Glazers

golden_blunder

Staff
We all know how much better we'd be doing if the club didn't have a giant debt not of its own making to service though GB, that's irrefutable
I agree

but im sick of the second guessing and speculation. No-one knows whats going to happen apart from the owners and Gill

B Cantona

Desperate
I agree

but im sick of the second guessing and speculation. No-one knows whats going to happen apart from the owners and Gill
I wouldn't agree totally, they have to publish the financial figures now, and there are enough 'facts' about the situation that there's scope for educated and reasoned debate on the issue. Not that it happens on here too often as the parties involved resort to petty nonsense

There are always things you don't know entirely though, that's kind of a given for almost any subject you debate on a forum though no?

TheMancRedDevil

You're wrong and that is a completely ignorant view to take. The truth pobably lies somewhere in the middle, if anything but unless you read both sides, how would you know?

The financials are there for all to see. They are not up for debate. It is figures on a sheet of paper. Facts, in other words.

Where the problem lies is people trying to second-guess what the Glazers have in mind for the money on those financials.

The anti-Glazers (mostly MUST) are the worst culprits because not only do they believe that certain things are going to happen, they actually count these things as already happened in their calculations (I can give you evidence of this if you wish) when putting forward their arguments.

The solution is obviously just to ignore it all. Let's all just concentrate on the football. Trust in Fergie. Trust in Manchester United.

The problem is that we have this bunch of fecking amateurs (self-confessed) who seem hell-bent on misleading the United support into believing that we're on our way to hell in a hand-basket and will peddle any nonsense in order to get the United support to believe them.

Some people take exception to this because some people have viewed the situation with a less jaundiced eye and have seen the reality and hate to be taken for a fool by a bunch of fools with a very specific agenda.

Basically, our intelligence has been insulted and people generally don't like to have their intelligence insulted. Most of us can think for ourselves, thank you very much.

The problem is: how deeply does the bullshit pervade? Is it just amongst the fans or does it go deeper? Has Rooney been reading the press releases from MUST? Do Manchester United targets read the press releases from MUST?

Is there this perception amongst the wider footballing community that Manchester United are terminally fecked and so should be avoided like the plague?

Maybe, maybe not but some of us won't let MUST have a free run at declaring it so for their own ends because some of us feel more passionately about our club than our personal agendas. Some of us don't want to see our name in the papers or our face on the telly.

We just want the fecking truth!

TheMancRedDevil

I am interested, but i'm interested in hearing NEW information or NEW points of view
Well, don't read anything from MUST then. It's a rehash of everything they have said for the last five years.

What do you want me to say? If we're not fecked, we're not fecked. I can't say it in a new and original way every time. Would you like me to post it as a Youtube video with me putting across the message in dance form or something?

The fact is that everytime some crap comes out from MUST, there's going to be a counter. It won't say anything new or original it will just provide the alternate point of view. As I say, why should MUST get a free reign on repetitive, unoriginal crap on here whilst the rest of us aren't allowed to counter because the almighty geebs will merely sigh at our contributions?

As an aside, do you ever post outside of this type of thread?
Sigh...

golden_blunder

Staff
As I say, why should MUST get a free reign on repetitive, unoriginal crap on here whilst the rest of us aren't allowed to counter because the almighty geebs will merely sigh at our contributions?

Sigh...
MUST dont post here btw, there are posters here who may support them but thats a different matter

TheMancRedDevil

MUST dont post here btw, there are posters here who may support them but thats a different matter
Hmm... that's debatable in itself.

It doesn't really matter though does it? This is a big Manchester United forum which has obviously caught the eye of the tabloids as some posters have been quoted in recent weeks.

If I were a MUST supporter and I copy/pasted the latest MUST Press Release then I am furthering the propaganda on their behalf.

If others are put off from attacking/commenting/debating what they have said because they are being "unoriginal" then where does that leave things?

MUST have free reign.

The so-called "pro-Glazer" camp have no press releases to put out there because they don't exist as an entity. I dare say that most of the people who are labelled such wish that they didn't have to take such an interest in the situation - that the group who are supposed to be doing all this stuff on our behalf would evaluate the situation and give us the low-down in a fair, unbiased and sensible way.

That they don't is 90% of the problem.