Television The Outsider | HBO | Stephen King Adaptation

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
I don't think it's "gone to shit" but it's certainly treading water. I'm still invested in the characters, overall creepy atmosphere and story but not a lot has happened since episode 2 to service the main plot. I mean it's basically been Holly investigating and Ralph struggling to come to terms with the whole thing.

Like I said, it needed another murder in there somewhere. Or maybe put some of the investigative stuff in there
before Bateman was killed off
in Episode 2.

I think everyone is now expecting
Paddy Consadine to be the Outsiders next form and for the police ladies baby to be the potential target.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
Penny dropped for Ralph finally.

Good idea for The Outsider to target the redneck centre parks.
At least 2 peripheral characters to be wiped out before it finishes. Holly's fella fo sho and the guy who slept in the car. Maybe the ginger PI too since he's decided to help.

Looks like the baby was a red herring...

momo83

Massive Snowflake
I’ve liked it all along. The first two episodes were outstanding. After that I thought it was still very good at being “scary” in psychological tension kind of way, if anything as with all horror/supernatural the difficulty is always keeping it scary once you start to show more of the boogie man. Then it naturally turns away from tension and more into action/thriller.

peridigm

Aye he's great and I'd love to see him in more serious roles.
I've never been a fan of Bateman. One of the reasons I put off watching Ozark. I decided to watch it when the wife was away and ended up binging the first two seasons in about 3 days. I'll have to add this to my list.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I've never been a fan of Bateman. One of the reasons I put off watching Ozark. I decided to watch it when the wife was away and ended up binging the first two seasons in about 3 days. I'll have to add this to my list.
Aye that's a mint series too. He's an actor I can't help but quite like.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
It's so well shot and acted but the actual story is incredibly daft, I can't take it seriously. It makes me cringe when Holly goes on about the "entity".

evil_geko

Another great episode, I actually watched first 7 episodes for the second time while waiting for new one and it had even better experience.

nimic

something nice
Scout
Well, that was a terrible ending. It was boring and it made no sense. I heard that Stephen King has at best mixed success with endings, so I guess I shouldn't be so surprised. Though apparently the book ending is even worse.

evil_geko

I loved the whole season, watched it twice over even, read that second season is likely green lit but don't know how will they continue on this, maybe a whole different set of characters etc...make every season it's own story.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Started really well but I lost interest in the middle episodes & it was disappointing overall. If they had cut it by about 3/4 episodes I think it would’ve been better.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Meh...I had such high hopes for this given everyone involved.

Caf‘ers told me it was a poor idea and not enough material for a series; they were right.

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
Nice little show. Quite enjoyed it.

So the Cucuy (or some other Cucuy) still alive then?

Holly had a scratch in her arm in the mid-credits scene. (but she didn't had it when she said goodbye to Ralph)

Also, she didn't remember who was Terry (Maitland), when she was inside the cave.

So, it's possible that the Holly that we see during the last episodes, going to the cave, etc, wasn't really her, but some shapeshifter creature, while, the real Holly, is somewhere else.

So the only real Holly is the one in the end credits (she had the scratch in the arm, from where the cucuy took her DNA).

crazy shit... I hope it gets explained for the second season, if they make one. Still, not hard to imagine how it could have happened.

Last edited:

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Well, that was a terrible ending. It was boring and it made no sense. I heard that Stephen King has at best mixed success with endings, so I guess I shouldn't be so surprised. Though apparently the book ending is even worse.
He’s crap at them. I literally just finished this book as well.

nimic

something nice
Scout
Nice little show. Quite enjoyed it.

So the Cucuy (or some other Cucuy) still alive then?

Holly had a scratch in her arm in the mid-credits scene. (but she didn't had it when she said goodbye to Ralph)

Also, she didn't remember who was Terry (Maitland), when she was inside the cave.

So, it's possible that the Holly that we see during the last episodes, going to the cave, etc, wasn't really her, but some shapeshifter creature, while, the real Holly, is somewhere else.

So the only real Holly is the one in the end credits (she had the scratch in the arm, from where the cucuy took her DNA).

crazy shit... I hope it gets explained for the second season, if they make one. Still, not hard to imagine how it could have happened.
I've seen this theory on Reddit, and honestly it's bonkers. If it turns out to be true, it'll only be because the writers were desperately searching for a way to keep a second season open. It wouldn't fit anything we've seen for the entire series, which just makes it bad writing.

The first 2-3 episodes of this were truly amazing, but after that it went down hill a bit. I still enjoyed watching it, but the finale left me feeling a little bit like after Game of Thrones or Battlestar Galactica.

George Owen

I've seen this theory on Reddit, and honestly it's bonkers. If it turns out to be true, it'll only be because the writers were desperately searching for a way to keep a second season open. It wouldn't fit anything we've seen for the entire series, which just makes it bad writing.
What's your theory? Why Holly didn't remember who was Terry?

Who fed on that kid found in some other county? Why Holly kinky smiled when asked "what else is out there?"

There is clearly more to it.

nimic

something nice
Scout
What's your theory? Why Holly didn't remember who was Terry?

Who fed on that kid found in some other county? Why Holly kinky smiled when asked "what else is out there?"

There is clearly more to it.
My theory is that the last episode is poorly written. There are definitely other baddies out there, which has been established at other points in the season, but there's just no real reason why the... other thing... would be true, except for a weird line and a scene that I'd probably bet was filmed after production was finished, purely to set up a possible second season.

To me, this feels a bit like all the bad writing in the later seasons of Game of Thrones, where someone would come up with a sort grand theory that made sense of everything, but in the end it just turned out to be bad writing. Basically, I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm saying that you very well might be right, but that it's the result of bad writing.

George Owen

My theory is that the last episode is poorly written. There are definitely other baddies out there, which has been established at other points in the season, but there's just no real reason why the... other thing... would be true, except for a weird line and a scene that I'd probably bet was filmed after production was finished, purely to set up a possible second season.

To me, this feels a bit like all the bad writing in the later seasons of Game of Thrones, where someone would come up with a sort grand theory that made sense of everything, but in the end it just turned out to be bad writing. Basically, I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm saying that you very well might be right, but that it's the result of bad writing.
Yeah, kinda agree with you. Until those mid credits scene, I thought the ending was clear as it could. I was thinking maybe Holly and Ralph could team up again in the future to chase other super natural creatures, nothing more than that.

But that mid credit scene sent me back and had to re think everything again.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
Re: the "Who's Terry" comment....

I must say I didn't notice any scratch and the whole idea of Holly not being Holly would be ridiculous. Slightly disappointing finale but enjoyed the season overall.

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?
Realised half-way through the 3rd episode that me and the missus were both on our phones, and we no longer had any idea (or interest) of what was going on.

Packed it in.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Terrible finale. Not sure why I bothered after the disaster that was the book, maybe I thought they'd somehow do a better job with this.

They didn't.

AaronRedDevil

Just finished it today. Show was boring and way too long. Should have been about 5 or 6 episodes. It was done well, just drawn out for too long.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
How similar is this to the book? My wife is reluctant to watch it as she finished the book recently.

evil_geko

How similar is this to the book? My wife is reluctant to watch it as she finished the book recently.
Haven't read the book myself but I saw many say how the Show is actually better than the book. Don't know about particular similarities though.

Stick

Supports
Liverpool
I read the book just prior to the show and both were ok but it's fair to say that the endings in both although a bit different were weak and let the whole story down.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
I read the book just prior to the show and both were ok but it's fair to say that the endings in both although a bit different were weak and let the whole story down.
So a typical Stephen King story then :lol:

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Stumbled onto this series last night after dinner. Half-paying attention to the opening scene in the first episode then I see the kid's corpse - wtf?! Not what I was expecting (the carnage of it). Put the laptop to the side and focused, my next five hours consumed.

I agree with most on the first two/three episodes being very good.

I watched the first five last night, will try to finish the series this weekend.