The Overlap | JJ Watt: NFL Superstar to Premier League Club Owner | Stick to Football EP 26

LARulz

That’s because it’s United related and Rio is out there with his own platform telling all these stories on that I bet most United fans watch every week. I don’t really watch his channels so for me it was an interesting episode.
Also because the questions led to those answers

I like Rio as he at least seems to be honest in his answers in most things and give his opinion

Spoony

The People's President
She’s a good addition. Had a good sense of humour and brings in tidbits from the women’s game too. Ideally they’d have a manager in there (someone whose managed at a good level) to give a bit of extra tactical inputs but otherwise it’s a great time.

She's utterly pointless*. And the others don't exactly show interest in her stories. Thing is most fans/viewers don't know much about her and women's football.

I know I'm well sexist and all that*

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
She's utterly pointless*. And the others don't exactly show interest in her stories. Thing is most fans/viewers don't know much about her and women's football.

She is in love with Roy, I think (I know she is gay). Just wants to banter with him.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
It's always good to great, but I sometimes get depressed watching and hearing stories about our standards under Fergie to what they are now. It's sad that we have allowed this mediocrity to become the standard at this great club. There isn't one player we have bought these last XI years that I can say I am fond of. I think RVP was the last player we bought that I liked and remember fondly.

Sir Marcus

If she’s pointless - then so are the rest of them. You surely can’t think the likes of Carragher and Wright are more insightful than she is?

Spoony

The People's President
If she’s pointless - then so are the rest of them. You surely can’t think the likes of Carragher and Wright are more insightful than she is?
It's not about insight though is it? I'd rather listen to Carragher and Wright's stories because I watched them play. Besides I like Ian Wright.

Sir Marcus

It's not about insight though is it? I'd rather listen to Carragher and Wright's stories because I watched them play. Besides I like Ian Wright.
Isn’t it? I’d rather listen to Scott than Carragher as she’s more likeable, funnier and less prone to discussing her latest Twitter argument every week.

E-mal

My thoughts exactly, I usually just skip her parts. Utterly pointless ad boring.

E-mal

That’s just a ridiculous post, I don’t like the scouse Cnut but he has more knowledge and better stories in his small toe than she does. Same goes for Wright

portrushred

I listen on Spotify and never understand why it takes 6 or 7 minutes for the show to get started. They play short bursts of whats to come in the show for what seems like forever. Very poor production. But usually an enjoyable listen.

E-mal

Well he’s just giving him the benefit of doubt instead of just calling him a crap footballer
Exactly. I just think we are reluctant to call ‘’shite’’ shite in this country. I’d he just said he hasn’t progressed and may be he is not in the top level of footballers.
It is not Rashford fault we pay him a Vinicius salary when he is actually not that level of a player and with that expectations goes up.

NWRed

It's always good to great, but I sometimes get depressed watching and hearing stories about our standards under Fergie to what they are now. It's sad that we have allowed this mediocrity to become the standard at this great club. There isn't one player we have bought these last XI years that I can say I am fond of. I think RVP was the last player we bought that I liked and remember fondly.
Mata? Herrera? Shaw? Ibrahimovic? Fernandes? Cavani? Martinez?

Sir Marcus

That’s just a ridiculous post, I don’t like the scouse Cnut but he has more knowledge and better stories in his small toe than she does. Same goes for Wright
Talks about ‘ridiculous post’ then goes to on to talk about ‘knowledge’ in Carraghers toe, couldn’t make it up.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
I listen on Spotify and never understand why it takes 6 or 7 minutes for the show to get started. They play short bursts of whats to come in the show for what seems like forever. Very poor production. But usually an enjoyable listen.
I think you're missing a big part of the show by going audio-only. The warm-up introduction is sometimes a bit long but i like it.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
Mata? Herrera? Shaw? Ibrahimovic? Fernandes? Cavani? Martinez?
No, no, no, no, no, no & no.

I have seen some great players play for this club and none of the players you mentioned come even close.

Mata - I am not easily impressed. For me, his purchase was the start of the Woody era where we started buying players without a plan. Even the Fellaini purchase before him made much more sense given our manager. I thought he was a thoroughly mediocre player for us and his constant apologies after each defeat irritated me. Besides that goal against Liverpool, I don't remember him making any significant impact. His touch was out of this world but besides that he was slow and lost the ball easily. The counters with him and Fellaini were some funniest I have seen (not in a good way).

Herrera - Another one of our most overrated players of this shit show era of the last XI years. Didn't really excel at anything. And I am not a fan of midfielders who can't pass the ball really well.

Shaw - Never made bone of the fact that I don't like him. This is his 10th season and he was been shit for the majority of them. A couple of really good seasons is not enough for me to really put him on the pedestal most fans put him on. I think he should have been sold when we gave him a contract extension.

Ibra - He was decent in his first season. I think he single handedly won us that league cup. Despite his goals, I felt he was slow and cumbersome in his general play. Not been a fan of getting these over the hill players on hefty wages in the Woody era.

Cavani - Was okay. Like I said, these over the hill players are remembered as good signings if they are coming to be the final piece of puzzle or just to give the team a extra something. Getting them as patchwork solutions hardly work out well.

Martinez - I like him. He is a warrior. But another one who I think is the wrong profile of player, just like Blind. I don't think he can be a CB solution in the long term in this league. May be he can be part of a man 3 man central defense if we get Inzaghi, otherwise I don't see any other manager making him a fixture in their central defense. His lack of pace and height are going to be a hindrance. He is another one whose reputation is enhanced more the more days he is out of the team. We suffered some of our heaviest losses under ETH with him in central defense.

NWRed

No, no, no, no, no, no & no.

I have seen some great players play for this club and none of the players you mentioned come even close.

Mata - I am not easily impressed. For me, his purchase was the start of the Woody era where we started buying players without a plan. Even the Fellaini purchase before him made much more sense given our manager. I thought he was a thoroughly mediocre player for us and his constant apologies after each defeat irritated me. Besides that goal against Liverpool, I don't remember him making any significant impact. His touch was out of this world but besides that he was slow and lost the ball easily. The counters with him and Fellaini were some funniest I have seen (not in a good way).

Herrera - Another one of our most overrated players of this shit show era of the last XI years. Didn't really excel at anything. And I am not a fan of midfielders who can't pass the ball really well.

Shaw - Never made bone of the fact that I don't like him. This is his 10th season and he was been shit for the majority of them. A couple of really good seasons is not enough for me to really put him on the pedestal most fans put him on. I think he should have been sold when we gave him a contract extension.

Ibra - He was decent in his first season. I think he single handedly won us that league cup. Despite his goals, I felt he was slow and cumbersome in his general play. Not been a fan of getting these over the hill players on hefty wages in the Woody era.

Cavani - Was okay. Like I said, these over the hill players are remembered as good signings if they are coming to be the final piece of puzzle or just to give the team a extra something. Getting them as patchwork solutions hardly work out well.

Martinez - I like him. He is a warrior. But another one who I think is the wrong profile of player, just like Blind. I don't think he can be a CB solution in the long term in this league. May be he can be part of a man 3 man central defense if we get Inzaghi, otherwise I don't see any other manager making him a fixture in their central defense. His lack of pace and height are going to be a hindrance. He is another one whose reputation is enhanced more the more days he is out of the team. We suffered some of our heaviest losses under ETH with him in central defense.
You didn't say there were no 'great' players signed (which may be correct) you said there were no players we had signed that you were fond of. I'd have thought most fans were fond of at least one, if not all, of the players I listed.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
You didn't say there were no 'great' players signed (which may be correct) you said there were no players we had signed that you were fond of. I'd have thought most fans were fond of at least one, if not all, of the players I listed.
It just not about great players, it's about affinity with certain players that played or are playing for your beloved club. I don't feel it for any of the players we have bought over the last XI years. The only players who I'd remember fondly ten years down the line are some of the academy graduates that have come through: the likes of Rashford, Mainoo, Garnacho, xxxx, etc.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Him talking about Moyes is like watching movie Damned United. That part when Clough came to Leeds and players were bitching about what former manager would do in this situation and that situation.
I am not fan of Moyes but he really didn't have any chance with those players. "Oh Fergie never did that", "oh Fergie would always do that"...shut the feck up and do what your current manager tells you to do!

I do love our former players (as a players) and Rio is my ideal defender for example but except Rooney, most of them are spoiled and cocky twats who live in the past.

And they have decency to criticize current players about their behaviour. What a bunch of hypocrites they all are.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I kind of shut off when Rio talks about Moyes, who seems to be the only former United player who continually talks about the Scott.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Him talking about Moyes is like watching movie Damned United. That part when Clough came to Leeds and players were bitching about what former manager would do in this situation and that situation.
I am not fan of Moyes but he really didn't have any chance with those players. "Oh Fergie never did that", "oh Fergie would always do that"...shut the feck up and do what your current manager tells you to do!

I do love our former players (as a players) and Rio is my ideal defender for example but except Rooney, most of them are spoiled and cocky twats who live in the past.

And they have decency to criticize current players about their behaviour. What a bunch of hypocrites they all are.
Interesting... That's not what I got at all from his recollection of the Moyes time. If anything, he sounded quite respectful of him as a person, dispelled the biggest myth involving him, and just highlighted what was apparent early on - that Moyes was out of his depth. And it had nothing to do with the squad in place. It was like if the owner of your local phone repair shop went on to manage Google.

crossy1686

career ending
It's called a 'warm intro' instead of starting straight with an introduction then jumping into the topics. If you watch YouTube you will see it's just them getting their makeup done, discussion their weekend, talking shit etc before the show actually starts. It's supposed to give you some insight into the people and make them seem less 'stiff'.

crossy1686

career ending
I kind of shut off when Rio talks about Moyes, who seems to be the only former United player who continually talks about the Scott.
He only repeats the same 3 things over and over, he's mostly right also. When he spoke this time though I got the impression it was more the players who weren't having him or allowing him an adaption phase more than it was Moyes who was totally out of his depth (and he was for the most part but there's no saying he might have adapted at some point).

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Interesting... That's not what I got at all from his recollection of the Moyes time. If anything, he sounded quite respectful of him as a person, dispelled the biggest myth involving him, and just highlighted what was apparent early on - that Moyes was out of his depth. And it had nothing to do with the squad in place. It was like if the owner of your local phone repair shop went on to manage Google.
From his old interview;
“I think the biggest thing for me was that there was always too much focus on our opponents in training. We’re Man Utd, they’re meant to worry about us more.

“The whole approach was alien. Other times Moyes wanted lots of passing. He’d say: ‘Today I want us to have 600 passes in the game. Last week it was only 400’. Who cares? I’d rather score five goals from 10 passes.”

"Sometimes our main tactic was the long, high, diagonal cross. It was embarrassing. In one home game against Fulham we had 81 crosses! I was thinking, ‘why are we doing this? Andy Carroll doesn’t play for us!’

“Moyes’s innovations mostly led to negativity and confusion. The biggest confusion was over how he wanted us to move the ball forward. Often he told us to play it long. Some players felt they kicked the ball long more than at any time in their career."

He can be right or wrong (i also think that Moyes was way out of depth) in all this but if you don't trust your manager's methods then that manager is doomed.

Quote 2 (about passes) is interesting one. Imagine that we hired Pep with 1000 passes style. Rio and crew would sack him in a month. :lol:

Last edited:

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Fundamentally it boils down to the individuals who picked Moyes.
I don't know why the hierarchy thought he was such a good choice.
The football he had Everton playing was aggressive but one dimensional.

whitbyviking

Interesting dynamic between Watt and Keane. They have some differences in opinion and style on leadership and it was great to see that discussion play out. Other than that I think they found it a bit hard to relate to American football and it ended up being more informative than the usual style.