The Overlap Live Fan Debate

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I enjoyed that. Every fan was sound, except for Ty, but I think that is exactly why he was invited.

Carra's point on United's spending was right, and made in relation to what Gary said. I don't know why some here feel offended. While City have splurged obscenely overall, when you compare players positionally United have spent more.
Again nothing wrong in that if that wins you the title or UCL. Chelsea do it. Even LFC did with Van Dijk and Alisson.
Carra’s point on United has to apply on Liverpool because Liverpool also did the same thing and now have squad that every position with big value fees of player. That means Carra shouldn’t say Liverpool won’t be challenging this season in that video.

I think the issue about Carra’s point is that he is not applying the logic on Liverpool this season. It means inconsistent point.

Carlsen19

Don't listen to my lies RE: Lineups
That was a good watch. I wouldn't mind a pint with the Everton fan.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I enjoyed that. Every fan was sound, except for Ty, but I think that is exactly why he was invited.

Carra's point on United's spending was right, and made in relation to what Gary said. I don't know why some here feel offended. While City have splurged obscenely overall, when you compare players positionally United have spent more.
Again nothing wrong in that if that wins you the title or UCL. Chelsea do it. Even LFC did with Van Dijk and Alisson.

Neville was defending Kane, and the United fan raised a decent point. Your gentlemen's aggrement counts for diddly squat.

Keane often makes good point, when he is not trying to be the hard man devoid of joy, which is how I usually see him on matchdays.
Him revealing about his love (soft corner) for Spurs was a nice surprise.
What on earth are you talking about? There’s not a metric in the universe where Utd have spent more than City.

Relfy

It would be nice if actual fans had that chance, and not people actively profiting by creating faux outrage online. These 'fancams' are the worst.

Hastar

Supports
Liverpool
The second episode was sound too.
I have been watching Tofee TV for Benitez, and the Everton bloke was decent and so was the Newcastle female fan.

The question about racism seemed forced. It's an important topic, but that was clearly forced.

Carra’s point on United has to apply on Liverpool because Liverpool also did the same thing and now have squad that every position with big value fees of player. That means Carra shouldn’t say Liverpool won’t be challenging this season in that video.

I think the issue about Carra’s point is that he is not applying the logic on Liverpool this season. It means inconsistent point.
The point was players at most positions with bigger/higher value when Man Utd is compared with City.

As for us, baring Van Dijk, Alisson and Fabinho, most of our signings were bought for thirties. You could push Keita but he isn't a starter.
The rest, well, Trent (HG), Robbo(8 mil, though we sold Kevin Stewart to Hull for 8 at the same time), Matip (free), Gomez (3.5), Thiago and Hendo (20each), Milner (free), Curtis (HG).

I would still agree that we should compete for the league.

It was a simple point, which says more about United's recruitment. You have overpaid on some players.
Maybe you have learned a thing or two, considering you have paid lesser than market value for Varane and Sancho.

What on earth are you talking about? There’s not a metric in the universe where Utd have spent more than City.
Dear me. English is not my first language and even I was able to get Carra's point.
He didn't say United spent the most. City have done that by a distance.
His point was that positonally United players were bought for higher amount than City.
For example Pogba was costlier than say Gundogan, or Maguire was costlier than Dias, etc.
You can see that his point somewhat makes sense.

Last edited:

Raoul

Admin
Staff
:lol:

Still can't get my head around them bringing in Neville, Keane, and Carragher only to allow Ty to dertail everything into an Arse FAM TV rant.

It was a simple point, which says more about United's recruitment. You have overpaid on some players.
Maybe you have learned a thing or two, considering you have paid lesser than market value for Varan

Dear me. English is not my first language and even I was able to get Carra's point.
His point was that positonally United players were bought for higher amount than City.
For example Pogba was costlier than say Gundogan, or Maguire was costlier than Dias, etc.
Neville was saying that Manchester United couldn't afford to pay what City can for Kane. Like, City could pay €200 million for kane, they have the budget for that. United don't.

Carragher turned that into an opportunity to criticise/take the piss out of United's spending. I mean, fine. Most United fans would agree that we have spent really badly over the last 8 years and overpaid loads. But that has nothing to do with Neville saying we don't have as much money as City to throw at Kane. Just felt like he wanted to jab at United for the sake of it, even if it derailed the conversation.

cyberman

The second episode was sound too.
I have been watching Tofee TV for Benitez, and the Everton bloke was decent and so was the Newcastle female fan.

The question about racism seemed forced. It's an important topic, but that was clearly forced.

The point was players at most positions with bigger/higher value when Man Utd is compared with City.

As for us, baring Van Dijk, Alisson and Fabinho, most of our signings were bought for thirties. You could push Keita but he isn't a starter.
The rest, well, Trent (HG), Robbo(8 mil, though we sold Kevin Stewart to Hull for 8 at the same time), Matip (free), Gomez (3.5), Thiago and Hendo (20each), Milner (free), Curtis (HG).

I would still agree that we should compete for the league.

Maybe you have learned a thing or two, considering you have paid lesser than market value for Varane and Sancho.

It doesn’t make any sense. They have a defence of 400m odd. They can buy and buy to get it right. That’s the difference. Thats the difference between first and second.

tomaldinho1

Some fans on here just won't accept we've splurged a silly amount of cash because they think players like ADM, Depay, Sanchez etc don't count as they didn't work out. Carra's point is fair and I don't know any United fans who don't accept with the fact that we have made a huge amount of high profile signings and that has continued under Ole.

The amount of players who are flopping is much lower now, that is credit to Ole and the transfer committee, I think here's a lot more to come/room from improvement from every player we have and that's why we have to be excited but also expectant around this season.

Amarsdd

It doesn’t make any sense. They have a defence of 400m odd. They can buy and buy to get it right. That’s the difference. Thats the difference between first and second.
This! That's why I hate people comparing United's spend vs City, Chelsea, PSG's spend. They can take risks all they want because they know they can fix it next window by buying another player. We just can't take that risk and need to prioritize. They don't. There's a reason we still don't have a proper DM and didn't have a proper RW for years. Whereas Stones has one bad season, they buy Laporte and whatever the other center back was, and then Laporte gets injured/coming back from injury and they buy Dias, and lets not even talk about their left backs.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff

Yes, we do tend to have one player for a higher amount but on the whole City sign a lot more players for £40M+. Looking at current CB options with Varane still to be confirmed:

Maguire - £80M
Lindelof - £31M
Bailly - £30M
Jones - £16M
United Total - £157M

Dias - £65M
Laporte - £57.2M
Stones - £47.5M
Ake - £40M
City Total - £209.7M

Fullback options:

Wan-Bissaka - £50M
Shaw - £27M
Dalot - £19M
Telles - £15.4M
Williams - Youth
United Total - £111.4M

Cancelo - £60M
Mendy - £52M
Walker - £45M
Zinchenko - £1.8M
City Total - £158.8M

Midfield options:

Pogba - £89M
Fernandes - £47M
Fred - £47M
Matic - £40M
Mata - £37.1M
van de Beek - £35M
Pereira - £100k
Garner - Youth
Lingard - Youth
McTominay - Youth
United Total - £295.1M

Grealish - £100M
Rodri - £62.8M
De Bruyne - £55M
Silva - £43M
Fernandinho - £30M
Gundogan - £20M
City Total - £310.8M

Attacking options:

Sancho - £73M
Martial - £36M
Diallo - £19M
James - £15M
Greenwood - Youth
Rashford - Youth
Cavani - Free
United Total - £143M

Mahrez - £60M
Sterling - £49M
Jesus - £27M
Torres - £20.87M
Roberts - £11M
Foden - Youth
City Total - £167.87M

Most expensive player in each position:

Goalkeeper: Ederson - £35M (City)
Centreback: Harry Maguire - £80M (United)
Fullback: Joao Cancelo - £60M (City)
Midfielder: Jack Grealish - £100M (City)
Attacker: Jadon Sancho - £73M (United)

I know players who have signed and left should be included, and in that case we'd probably overall be higher in attack but City would still be higher in defence as they've bought a ridiculous amount of defenders for £40M and even let them go on frees/sold them for a quarter of the price in the cases of Mangala and Otamendi. United couldn't afford to do that hence us still clinging on to Jones years later. Sanchez was a special case.

Dante

Average bang
This piss-weak meme of "imagine if Pogba had done that" needs to die. It's so fecking stupid.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Would be nice to see more of these throughout the year - does sound like there's some sort of plan for it but will probably depend on fan availability.

Swedish_Plumber

The midfield chat was as expected, so clear we need some people in. The fact that scholes questioned why we’ve not seen the Juve or France Pogba consistently is strange because it’s so clear that the quality of the two midfielders around him in those teams makes it a pretty obvious one to answer.

Dante

Average bang
I think Ty embarrassed himself even more than last time.

It was interesting seeing those two Geordies sitting there quietly in the background. The next episode of this is probably going to focus mostly on them.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Carragher was a bit out of order to the City fan.

Ty...nonsense as always.

FatTails

Ty is like 40 something right? Does he have children?

Imagine if Ty is your father and you have to watch him do this online.

Oranges038

Scholes - when talking about Rooney wanting to leave. :lol:

Ty is like that kid - We beat them and they beat you, so we are better than you.... what a bloody idiot.

izec

I think Ty embarrassed himself even more than last time.

It was interesting seeing those two Geordies sitting there quietly in the background. The next episode of this is probably going to focus mostly on them.
From skybet under the video: Part two will be out tomorrow! Plenty of chat around Newcastle's takeover, Rafa at Everton, Salah's contract and much more

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
Carragher was so rude to that City fan!

Thought he was coming across really well and speaking very fast in a way that showed he was time-aware. Plus he was asked follow up questions and was only answering them.

I do enjoy this but it feels very rushed. Like surely the hard part is setting the event up, why not let it run once it starts. Feels like they're milling through every fan/club as quickly as possible.

JamesB__

Supports
Stoke City
Crikey Ty is painful to listen to.

And Carragher was a proper prick to that City fan.

Port Vale Devil

Supports
Port Vale
Neville and Carragher are not too bad together but Scholes is just devoid of any personality whatsoever. Keane was great in the first one so why replace him?

That Arsenal guy is just fecking delusional and shouldn’t be on any future ones and neither should Scholes.

Dominos

Ty asking why Arsenal never get any credit... What on earth do they want credit for? Haven't they finished 8th two seasons running? Do they want praise for finishing top half or something? They've got a massive victim complex.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Scholes - when talking about Rooney wanting to leave. :lol:

Ty is like that kid - We beat them and they beat you, so we are better than you.... what a bloody idiot.
When he brings up invincibles I wish someone would say they ain't even the best Arsenal team in PL history.

I would be genuinely curious to his reaction, would he finally cross that line and slate an element of his club (the non invincible title sides)?

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
Clearly needs an hour run time. Thought it was enjoyable regardless though and hope they eventually make it a monthly thing.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
When he brings up invincibles I wish someone would say they ain't even the best Arsenal team in PL history.

I would be genuinely curious to his reaction, would he finally cross that line and slate an element of his club (the non invincible title sides)?
He’s a little too ridiculous, I get he’s acting for the cameras etc, but considering how grounded the other fans have been he does stand out. He’s fine in small doses but the man has the lack of self awareness most assume Liverpool fans have. At least there’s a substantial history to draw from.

jakko

Supports
Chelsea
Carragher was a bit out of order to the City fan.

Ty...nonsense as always.
I disagree, if it wasn't for Carragher he would still be talking now.
He was the same in the first episode, just never stopped talking. Im glad Carragher realised the same as me.