The overwhelming number of negative articles in the media

Glideman

I think the club has to do a better job of shutting down the media. I really don't think Woodward is or has been as bad as presented...but not immediately discrediting the journalists writing this garbage has only allowed the stories fester about the club, transfers and woodward.
The problem is that it may lead to the media doubling down and not actually solve the issue. Like others have said United fans need to pick apart the facts and not be so influenced by the media. We need to think for ourselves and not be so easily swayed because the negative articles will keep coming.

If we win the league this year, it will be discredited that it was due to covid or Liverpool's injuries and if we have a slow start the following season United fans will again be influenced by it and discredit it too.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
OK so as we know, content involving us is the most profitable. Also on social media you get more responses online and engagement from creating something the vast majority will disagree with and want to argue against. We can then gather in our bubbles ( like the 'Caf) and share this thing we disagree with and that sets the rest of us visiting their pages to give them a good telling to. So riling the largest fanbase in sport to engage is primary policy for lots of news sites. Now add into that the push of the likes of City to basically bribe the media into positive only content with regards to them and whitewash the owners online and finally the amount of ex-scouser's or scouse loving fanboys in the media it surprises me there's anything positive said about us whatsoever.

GiddyUp

TBH...all of a sudden now we suddenly have great depth, yet when the window was finished, both fans and the media consistently bashed our spending. I said it then and I will say it again, the main problem we had last season was the lack of quality in depth we had particularly in attack. This season, it's clearly showing how much of a success the transfer window actually was, despite only VDB really being available of the 5 signings. If we truly believe that we have quality in Greenwood, Fernandes, Rashford, Pogba and Martial...which we were shown at the end of last season, being able to give them rest despite fixture pile up would only allow them to be more consistent when they play. We now have Cavani, VDB, Mata, Matic, Fred, Telles, Tuanzebe and Henderson in depth, without even mentioning Amad Traore, who will come in January. Of all those players, we have about 4 or 5 that are legitimately competing with players in our starting xi for the starting position....yet somehow, we were poor in the market.

I personally believe our fans are the ones who let this happen. I understand that we have struggled to rebuild over the last 6 years, but I don't understand how our fans can't see the promising outlook of our club. This is by far the best team we have had since 2013 and none really have come close. We had had loads of depth without first xi quality ( 2017), quality in our first xi but poor depth ( 2018 and the last quarter of 2020), but we have not looked anywhere this complete since SAF and for me, that has been the difference between ourselves and ( Chelsea, Liverpool, City) over the last 6 seasons.
Seeing is believing my friend. I was extremely pissed of at our summer business like a lot of people but when you I stepped back and took it in I've become more positive and excited.
Sports fans are a fickle bunch and we have been an inconsistent mess so there will always be complaints, it's inevitable. If Ole gets us firing on a weekly basis the fan's optimism will follow.

GBBQ

OK so as we know, content involving us is the most profitable. Also on social media you get more responses online and engagement from creating something the vast majority will disagree with and want to argue against. We can then gather in our bubbles ( like the 'Caf) and share this thing we disagree with and that sets the rest of us visiting their pages to give them a good telling to. So riling the largest fanbase in sport to engage is primary policy for lots of news sites. Now add into that the push of the likes of City to basically bribe the media into positive only content with regards to them and whitewash the owners online and finally the amount of ex-scouser's or scouse loving fanboys in the media it surprises me there's anything positive said about us whatsoever.
Yeah I don't know what we expect. Papers are looking to generate money via ad revenue so allude to a negative story about a big club and have the fans flocking to see it.

Journalists have to be knee jerk and either tap into the fears of the fans (United) or feed the conspiracy of the fans (Liverpool).

Gavinb33

The media in football and most fans are obsessed with what managers had done previously, the guy who just won the treble at Bayern his managerial track record before Bayern was rubbish as was Joachim Low's and he won the world cup, sometimes its about being in the right situation, there are very few managers these days that can put in place a system with players that are not of the correct quality to carry it out.

tjb

The problem is that it may lead to the media doubling down and not actually solve the issue. Like others have said United fans need to pick apart the facts and not be so influenced by the media. We need to think for ourselves and not be so easily swayed because the negative articles will keep coming.

If we win the league this year, it will be discredited that it was due to covid or Liverpool's injuries and if we have a slow start the following season United fans will again be influenced by it and discredit it too.
Thing is, like Arsenal, Barcelona, Real Madrid or any big enough team with lots of fans and media coverage can speak to, that is hard to control simply due to the sheer attention and size of the fanbase. There are always going to be some reactionaries in the fanbase. When Fergie was winning the league every season, there were still people who wanted him gone so that we could "modernise". There were others who constantly questioned our questions and whether were capable of competing every season. You can legitmately make the case that at the start of the majority of the season before we won league titles, we were viewed as underdogs by the press. For example 2006- 2011, every summer the press were always talking about how good Chelsea would be, from 01-05 the same thing happened with Arsenal. What's even more baffling in that time period is how the media sold Arsenal as being more aesthetically pleasing to watch than we were. How they had so much flair due to the amount of French names they had in the team, whilst diminishing the level of skill and technique of players like Scholes, Giggs, Keane and Yorke.

It's always been like this.

tjb

The media in football and most fans are obsessed with what managers had done previously, the guy who just won the treble at Bayern his managerial track record before Bayern was rubbish as was Joachim Low's and he won the world cup, sometimes its about being in the right situation, there are very few managers these days that can put in place a system with players that are not of the correct quality to carry it out.
That is why our fans are supposed to be the managers number one supporters when he is getting things right like Ole has. The problem at United is this. Our fans were so used to success that despite our decline prior to Ole coming, they are finding it difficult to match our rebuilding realities to their expectations. They expect the club to immediately return to glory, not fully realizing how far back we actually went.

Even when it comes to issues of inconsistency or lack of depth, its becoming really clear how hard it is for our fans to comprehend having issues like these and why these issues would lead to us losing and drawing games. For example, last season we had a lot of injuries and were poorly staffed in terms of depth, and unlike SAF years where you could use Ole, Butt, Brown, Nani, Park, Fletcher, O'shea or the like to cover, we were playing Lingard, James and Pereira...which would explain the lack of results. We are getting there and the signs since the beginning of January are all pointing to that direction, the only question is whether our fans can temper their impatience to gain a better understanding of the situation.

edcunited1878

Unless it's the NBA, American football, MLB, MMA/UFC.....then ESPN is shit. Should never be used as a decent source for any content related to football/soccer. Just look at the times they put on any content and the types of fecking retread 'pundits' they use.

GazTheLegend

It’s led me to take a but of a break or at least a huge reduction in my online consumption. It’s so grating. Every conversation seems to directly or indirectly relate to us too. I saw a headline this morning quoting Souness saying ‘Manchester United would love to have Bale, Kane and Son’. What do they have to do with us? Why are we even in the conversation? About a trio that have never even played together either.

I didn’t watch too much of SSN during the window but tuned in on deadline day, and it was clear that the day had been almost dedicated to Manchester United, and every conversation was about what United will do, or for any other team’s business, it was ‘is this what Manchester United should have done?’.

There was a point in the window where United were considered the more likely destination for Gareth Bale. And if you took the temperature of media sentiment towards him at that time, it was overwhelmingly negative. Loads of gaslighting polls ‘United fans, would you be happy with Gareth Bale as an alternative to Sancho?’ In depth discussion of his injuries, salary, whether (as usual) our ‘structure’ needs an overhaul because we’ve known Gareth Bale existed for 10 years and are about to move for him now (‘why not sign him earlier?’). Fast forward just a couple of weeks and he joins Spurs and the narrative changed overnight. Documentaries on Sky, Hero returning, and not one mention of his salary.

Compare the coverage of Bale to the outright disrespect of Edinson Cavani, and then ask what the difference is in their respective circumstances. There isn’t any. Same when we were linked with Dembele. No different to Bale. Brilliant at his best, suffered with injuries, cost Real/Barca record money and a proposed loan. All of a sudden used as an excuse of ‘clueless United’.

Every deal done by every club in the final week of the window was just part of the game. It is only United who, every year, are demanded to have all of our number one targets signed on the day the window opens or something. Or we’re again ‘desperate and clueless’. We sign a player in September, it is ‘well why didn’t they sign him in July?’.

The worst part of it is that it creates an unnecessary cloud of negativity over the club all the time, which puts us under pressure before we’ve even had a chance to deserve it. Under Mourinho we finished second, and went into the next season in ‘crisis’. Liverpool finished fourth and were praised massively. This year, we finished third, and again, began the season with talk of ‘with all the problems at United’. And our own fans are entirely complicit in this nonsense with their endless complaining and frankly, naivety in seeing that they are being played for entertainment. Towards the end of the window I got exhausted going around the forum defending us from mindless playground derision, largely based on non-factual criticism.

It was so clear yesterday that everyone tuned in to see another car crash, and had to reluctantly praise us after winning. Even then, Miguel Delaney chose to adopt a take on our 1-4 away win by leading with ‘bar the corner, all of United’s goals came from counter attacks rather than breaking teams down’. Like really? Is this what we’re doing now?

The football hasn’t always been great, but I do feel that the actual football bit comes last. The scene has already been set and the crisis created before a ball is kicked. Any bad result, or even a win that wasn’t convincing enough for their liking just serves as a self-fulfilling prophesy.
Great post and I didn't see it until the latest bumps.

And completely spot on. What bothers me is that if it's bad for my mental health (and it is - the negativity on the radio, the papers and in Redcafe from our own fans!) then how bad could it be for anyone associated with Manchester United coming here?

And on the back of another fantastic result, I've heard the best part of NOTHING giving Solskjaer any credit from anyone in the media compared with directly after the Spurs result. It was all about Rashford and maybe rightly so but that tactical masterclass goes completely unrecognised. And you just know people on this forum are waiting for us to have a bad result against Arsenal or whoever.
At what point does Solskjaer become accepted as a Manchester United manager? Title win? CL win? I think that's why he puts out such strong teams in the cups you know, because he probably is well aware that even if he came second with a CL final people would be questioning whether he's good enough, but an FA cup or League cup win at least stops the Mourinho comparisons.

R77

This week there has been an overwhelming number of positive articles in the media.

Almost as though the key to fighting back against this dreadful ABU bias is winning a few games of football. Crazy, right?
I was about to post similar. Seems someone has a book to sell though.

HJ12

https://africa.espn.com/football/ma...ost-100-gamesbut-theres-no-clear-plan-forward

"No obvious plan

After 99 games, we still don't know Solskjaer's plan to take United back to the top. He has used a 4-3-3 formation, played with three at the back and deployed a diamond in midfield, but it seems as though he is still trying to work out what best suits his players. It's difficult to imagine the likes of Pep Guardiola, Jurgen Klopp, Mourinho or Mauricio Pochettino still not knowing their best approach after 99 games in charge, but whenever United play, it is a guessing game as to how they will line up.

Certainty is the only way to success, but confusion still reigns under Solskjaer."

I would've thought tactical flexibility is a good thing.

GazTheLegend

To be fair like, if you have to start digging as far as the Irish times, football365 and punters like Jamie Jackson to find positive things then I'd say my point still stands they're maybe tier 5 media entities at best. The Guardian, to be fair to it, is generally a reasonably unbiased newspaper when it comes to sport.

But I'll leave it at that.

https://africa.espn.com/football/ma...ost-100-gamesbut-theres-no-clear-plan-forward

"No obvious plan

After 99 games, we still don't know Solskjaer's plan to take United back to the top. He has used a 4-3-3 formation, played with three at the back and deployed a diamond in midfield, but it seems as though he is still trying to work out what best suits his players. It's difficult to imagine the likes of Pep Guardiola, Jurgen Klopp, Mourinho or Mauricio Pochettino still not knowing their best approach after 99 games in charge, but whenever United play, it is a guessing game as to how they will line up.

Certainty is the only way to success, but confusion still reigns under Solskjaer."

there are lots of things you could criticise United for, and the manger - most I wouldn’t agree with anyway, but this is ridiculous. Like you say, flexibility and being able to change your system is a positive.

are we seriously saying to be a good manager you need to be rigid in your approach. I’m sure Klopp plays different systems and variants of his 11?

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
This is what happens when you're the biggest around. People wanna talk about you.

Never ignored .

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
This week there has been an overwhelming number of positive articles in the media.

Almost as though the key to fighting back against this dreadful ABU bias is winning a few games of football. Crazy, right?
That would make sense if initial negativity was derived from poor results as opposed to transfer second guessing and everyone feeling they were fit to ‘structure’ Manchester United.

As far as winning football matches go, we had won nearly as many as anyone in 2020 by the time the nonsense was in full swing, and enough of them to finish with a respectable position last season.

RedDevil@84

"No obvious plan

After 99 games, we still don't know Solskjaer's plan to take United back to the top
. He has used a 4-3-3 formation, played with three at the back and deployed a diamond in midfield, but it seems as though he is still trying to work out what best suits his players. It's difficult to imagine the likes of Pep Guardiola, Jurgen Klopp, Mourinho or Mauricio Pochettino still not knowing their best approach after 99 games in charge, but whenever United play, it is a guessing game as to how they will line up.

Maybe he doesn't want bulls**rs to know.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Great post and I didn't see it until the latest bumps.

And completely spot on. What bothers me is that if it's bad for my mental health (and it is - the negativity on the radio, the papers and in Redcafe from our own fans!) then how bad could it be for anyone associated with Manchester United coming here?

And on the back of another fantastic result, I've heard the best part of NOTHING giving Solskjaer any credit from anyone in the media compared with directly after the Spurs result. It was all about Rashford and maybe rightly so but that tactical masterclass goes completely unrecognised. And you just know people on this forum are waiting for us to have a bad result against Arsenal or whoever.
At what point does Solskjaer become accepted as a Manchester United manager? Title win? CL win? I think that's why he puts out such strong teams in the cups you know, because he probably is well aware that even if he came second with a CL final people would be questioning whether he's good enough, but an FA cup or League cup win at least stops the Mourinho comparisons.
Honestly, the transfer window just gone was the absolute worst, and I’d like to think a fair few on here will hang their heads a but on reflection. I had to take a week/week and a half off after deadline day, and even now, my Redcafe interaction has lessened significantly. People acting like spoilt brats, nothing is ever good enough, it was exhausting.

And I totally agree on Ole too. Coming off our previous ‘terrible transfer window’ last summer, he led us to third with injuries that are often conveniently edited from consideration in any report card too. Beaten all the top sides bar Liverpool, and very unlucky to not beat Liverpool, with them getting a late equaliser at OT, and us being severely hampered by injuries in both games.

I think the club are reluctant to reset in a hurry, as we’ve done that a few times already to little avail. I’m certainly behind him for now, snd behind the group in general. I don’t think our players are as bad as implied, and I think Ole will win trophies with us in time.

On the whole, the moaning of the last transfer window, which, if we’re being honest, was just poorly disguised rage at not buying Jadon Sancho for a British record fee - and the constant uninformed bollocks about the clubs structure piss me off no end.

Last edited:

Fitchett

Funny how the media have barely mentioned that we set up a new club record of 10 successive away wins, when we won in Paris recently. Something Ferguson never achieved, something Busby never achieved. But let's ignore it, as their agenda doesn't include any positive reporting on Solskjaer.

SinNombre

Great posts @Rozay

I tried fighting against the tide but gave up quickly in September.

The amount of toxicity fueled by United fans in that period was crazy to say the least.

Robbie Boy

Stopped reading most online football news these days bar here. Got awfully fed up of the Liverpool jizz fest and the United bashing over the last 2 to 3 years.

Then the bizarre praising of Arteta and Lampard from some quarters.

Mindhunter

Honestly, the transfer window just gone was the absolute worst, and I’d like to think a fair few on here will hang their heads a but on reflection. I had to take a week/week and a half off after deadline day, and even now, my Redcafe interaction has lessened significantly. People acting like spoilt brats, nothing is ever good enough, it was exhausting.

And I totally agree on Ole too. Coming off our previous ‘terrible transfer window’ last summer, he led us to third with injuries that are often conveniently edited from consideration in any report card too. Beaten all the top sides bar Liverpool, and very unlucky to not beat Liverpool, with them getting a late equaliser at OT, and us being severely hampered by injuries in both games.

I think the club are reluctant to reset in a hurry, as we’ve done that a few times already to little avail. I’m certainly behind him for now, snd behind the group in general. I don’t think our players are as bad as implied, and I think Ole will win trophies with us in time.

On the whole, the moaning of the last transfer window, which, if we’re being honest, was just poorly disguised rage at not buying Jadon Sancho for a British record fee - and the constant uninformed bollocks about the clubs structure piss me off no end.
This. Couldn’t have said it better myself. I was disappointed not to get a big name but understood the financial risk of opening our purse strings in such an unpredictable economy.

Gabagoo

We've gone from perennial title winners with Ferguson to perennial also-rans after him.

The media are totally correct to be negative, we've for a long time been a shit-show, on and off the pitch.

Fans should be less worried about neutrals correctly laughing at us and more concerned with voicing their frustrations - not abuse, personal attacks or throwing tantrums - at players not trying hard enough, coaching staff if they appear useless, our inept board and Woodward for pissing money away without a plan.

Get angry at the people who stand in the way of the club being successful, not outsiders that write articles for clicks.

royalewithcheese2006

Supports
A Director of Football
We controlled 1 game out of 13 this season? I've wasted 4 months watching a different season then.
We need to aspire to be where the all controlling City, Chelsea, Spurs and Arsenal are eh Duncan?

On a serious note, is he the eejit who called Arteta elite or are all journos bitter and stupid?

Plymouth Red

This interview with Micah Richards on the BBC website is a positive take on our progress, prospects, Ole and the team.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55388045

I recommend reading it because it’s fair and balanced. I haven’t been a big Ole fan so far because I think he can be naive sometimes and obstinate on other occasions, to the detriment of the team.

However, you cannot deny we are the PL form team currently and in fairness to him, he has been saying that we were just starting slowly this season. I hope my doubts are proved wrong and the reasons for optimism in Richards’ interview hold good.