The overwhelming number of negative articles in the media

GazTheLegend

The media seem to have realised that putting up anything negative about our club gets a larger number of clicks.

Disillusioned Man Utd fans, or ABU supporters of any other team buy into it of course, but you really don't have to.

The number of antagonistic Dortmund headlines is winding me up, as is this continual infectious doom and gloom. Don't buy into it - things really aren't that bad. The rags couldn't even find a way to positively spin these two new wonderkid signings for us - much in the same way they were incredibly negative about Anthony Martial. Who knows how they'll turn out but why the endless shittery and finger pointing? You'd never have even known there was a disgusting red card decision that made that game on Sunday the slog it was, but if it was the other way around I bet it's all they'd have been talking about!?!!

They've tried to sack Solskjaer since day one and the thing about this endless cycle of negativity is that it has a way of becoming a post facto rationalisation - you can ignore 9 wins in a row but not 2 losses if those 2 losses were recent, so it builds momentum to that possible third loss and yet MORE headlines by the endlessly negative media.

The Glazers have sucked money out the club, yeah, but that doesn't mean you have to hate the clubs managers coaches and players the way the media wants us to. I hate all this continual whining, it's Arsenal-tv like. We aren't finished yet.

Anyone else sick of the media's obsession with doom and gloom and our club or are you succumbing or enjoying it you sick weirdos.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Everybody loves to hate United - including, unfortunately, most of our own fans these days. We are an easier target than ever because our fans want to believe everything that's said and written.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I wouldn't say Ole has been navigating some sacking-agenda by the media from day one. At all. First of all, his ex-teammates have all defended him to the hilt and it's only been recently when Keano said this is when the honeymoon period is well and truly over and he'll need to deliver.

I'd say he got a relatively easy ride given the disaster last season was up until the signing of Bruno, but the negative attention the owners and Woodward have increasingly got is absolutely warranted, and welcome.

It's a test of character for Ole and he looks beaten. He's too soft and nice. He's inconsistent in his messaging, all of which gives of the vibe that he knows he's not good enough.

It does seem though that since the start of this season, it's open season on everything United related, be it Ole, the board, the players.

Magical Manchester United

There's always seemed to be an anti United narrative in the media for as long as I can remember.

After every bad result there seems to be hundreds of articles about just how terrible things are at the club.

clarkydaz

I wouldn't say Ole has been navigating some sacking-agenda by the media from day one. At all. First of all, his ex-teammates have all defended him to the hilt and it's only been recently when Keano said this is when the honeymoon period is well and truly over and he'll need to deliver.
I'd say he got a relatively easy ride given the disaster last season was up until the signing of Bruno, but the negative attention the owners and Woodward have increasingly got is absolutely warranted, and welcome.
It does seem though that since the start of this season, it's open season on everything United related, be it Ole, the board, the players.
weve been smashed in all 3 league games weve played, its not a suprise

VanGaalEra

Delaney the massive wanker with the most predictable article today.

spiriticon

When we get battered 6-1, it's the end of the United as we know it.

When we win 6-1 (lol if only), it will be the genesis of a new era of dominance etc etc

The media works in extremes and always has

GazTheLegend

Delaney the massive wanker with the most predictable article today.
Yeah - one of many low hanging fruit articles I saw as well. God I hope we win the league against all odds and rationality - shutting those assholes up would be so insanely sweet.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
We’ve just been humiliated 6-1, at home, by our last manager, after starting the season in rotten form. And our transfer window has been pure hubris. Yet again. Plus we’re one of the biggest, most popular clubs in the world. How can anyone be surprised or annoyed about negative press coverage this week?!?

Varun1

Remember when Fergie would use the us-against-them attitude to push the team.. the good old days!

GazTheLegend

When we get battered 6-1, it's the end of the United as we know it.

When we win 6-1 (lol if only), it will be the genesis of a new era of dominance etc etc

The media works in extremes and always has
No mate. When we win 6-1 there is endless discussion about (insert 60-40 penalty decision here) instead and how it changed the game for an hour.

Jibbs

What are you talking about... the board has been clueless for past 7 years... making mistakes after mistakes, e have one of the worst ceos of all football clubs, who not only is incompetent but thinks he is mr know it all as well. Then we have a manager who's only got the job because he is a club legend for scoring that goal in 99. Media is filled with ex united players and their cronies. All these Nevilles, Rios and Evras are just waiting for their turn and want their own slice of United pie.

pacifictheme

A lot of opposition fans I know want ole to stay in case we get someone better in.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
We’ve just been humiliated 6-1, at home, by our last manager, after starting the season in rotten form. And our transfer window has been pure hubris. Yet again. Plus we’re one of the biggest, most popular clubs in the world. How can anyone be surprised or annoyed about negative press coverage this week?!?
This unfortunately.

GazTheLegend

Because it's over and done with. And the negative stuffs been going on for WEEKS. And there hasn't been a single article about these players we've bought that doesn't absolutely lay into us. I'm sick of it, on redcafe there's a moaning thread opened every two minutes and the media plays it's part as they're endlessly releasing puff pieces for every club but us. Arteta had a shite start to his tenure last season but he can do no wrong and they're not trying to sack him every evening.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
The club has put itself in that position. Do transfer business early, shut down rumours of players you aren’t interested in instantly etc. When you do things in a professional manner you will automatically face less scrutiny. During lockdown we were doing the right things and the media barely wrote a negative thing about the club, while classless clubs like Liverpool and Spurs were furloughing their staff and were getting destroyed by the media.

Glorio

The media seem to have realised that putting up anything negative about our club gets a larger number of clicks.

Disillusioned Man Utd fans, or ABU supporters of any other team buy into it of course, but you really don't have to.

The number of antagonistic Dortmund headlines is winding me up, as is this continual infectious doom and gloom. Don't buy into it - things really aren't that bad. The rags couldn't even find a way to positively spin these two new wonderkid signings for us - much in the same way they were incredibly negative about Anthony Martial. Who knows how they'll turn out but why the endless shittery and finger pointing? You'd never have even known there was a disgusting red card decision that made that game on Sunday the slog it was, but if it was the other way around I bet it's all they'd have been talking about!?!!

They've tried to sack Solskjaer since day one and the thing about this endless cycle of negativity is that it has a way of becoming a post facto rationalisation - you can ignore 9 wins in a row but not 2 losses if those 2 losses were recent, so it builds momentum to that possible third loss and yet MORE headlines by the endlessly negative media.

The Glazers have sucked money out the club, yeah, but that doesn't mean you have to hate the clubs managers coaches and players the way the media wants us to. I hate all this continual whining, it's Arsenal-tv like. We aren't finished yet.

Anyone else sick of the media's obsession with doom and gloom and our club or are you succumbing or enjoying it you sick weirdos.
10 Likes

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
No mate. When we win 6-1 there is endless discussion about (insert 60-40 penalty decision here) instead and how it changed the game for an hour.
When Ole first came in and put that run together there was nothing but fanfare in the media. When we beat PSG away the hype train went into overdrive. So it's both extremes like @spiriticon said.

The reality is, we've had two good runs of matches surrounded by horrendous football. The media reaction is also a culmination of our continued fall from grace.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Exactly, the club is writing the headlines for the press themselves and pathetic whiny threads like this are hardly likely to foster sympathy.
The fact he has a go at others whining is laughable.

Jippy

Staff
Because it's over and done with. And the negative stuffs been going on for WEEKS. And there hasn't been a single article about these players we've bought that doesn't absolutely lay into us. I'm sick of it, on redcafe there's a moaning thread opened every two minutes and the media plays it's part as they're endlessly releasing puff pieces for every club but us. Arteta had a shite start to his tenure last season but he can do no wrong and they're not trying to sack him every evening.
What like this one?

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I’m sick of it too. But it is what it is. This isn’t a bad run of results with a manager taking over a squad he didn’t build either. Ole’s had three transfer windows now. And this is the start of his second full season. If we were playing/getting results like Arsenal under Arteta right now we wouldn’t be getting any bad press. Performances and results matter.

GazTheLegend

Exactly, the club is writing the headlines for the press themselves and pathetic whiny threads like this are hardly likely to foster sympathy.
The fact he has a go at others whining is laughable.
Cheers top red. Get some flares together and I'll get you a map of Cheshire.

El Zoido

OP isn’t wrong about the red card. If we won 6-1 and the red card was the opposite way around it’s all the media would be talking about.

Jippy

Staff
Cheers top red. Get some flares together and I'll get you a map of Cheshire.
What do you expect though? The club is going to continue being a laughing stock for the foreseeable at this rate.
Hopefully Cavani can be a surprise inspiration. There's very little to be positive about for the fans, so it's no wonder the coverage is as it is.

The BBC was unbearable on Sunday, I'll agree there. They're fecking revelling in it.

Foxbatt

The players are expected to show passion for the club when they are on the pitch. The managers and the coaching staff are not exempt from this. They need to show the same passion too. What I do not understand is that he is the man who sprinted 80 yards to foul a Newcastle player who was going to score and now he sits there without any passion and has a smile on his face when we are getting beaten by every Jose, Roy and Julen.

Jippy

Staff
OP isn’t wrong about the red card. If we won 6-1 and the red card was the opposite way around it’s all the media would be talking about.
Yes, in this imaginary scenario in your head we'd have been slated even if we won.

Before lockdown the papers were raving about Rashford and Martial, and Bruno received loads of praise. It's not a total one-way street- City, Chelsea, Arse, Liverpool for years all went through the shreddings.

GazTheLegend

Yes. It's been glossed over as an irrelevance when the game was pretty even at that point. Our players falling to bits was despicable but that decision 100% factored in against a great spurs side.

What do you expect though? The club is going to continue being a laughing stock for the foreseeable at this rate.
Hopefully Cavani can be a surprise inspiration. There's very little to be positive about for the fans, so it's no wonder the coverage is as it is.

The BBC was unbearable on Sunday, I'll agree there. They're fecking revelling in it.
I hope so. But my point is that we are fans of the club and as pathetic as it might sound it feels like they really are trying to turn us against our players all the time with these constant articles about how embarassing we are etc etc. Well maybe - but we are supposed to stand by our players and not encourage all those idiots on twitter to start sending even MORE abuse towards our guys. Anybody that plays football knows you always play better if you feel like you're trusted and not under a microscope for every single pass.

Smores

Some of our fans are so sensitive recently. I've never known such a constant need for an always positive safe space.

When you support a team and its going through some bad times you don't get to complain that others dare discuss it. There's only one route out of negativity and that's results.

BR7

The pundits are making their money same as that Mark Goldberg pretending to be a united fan but how much is he raking off us with his BS. He talks drivel gets 80% of his transfer deals wrong but has a huge following. It’s the internet I’m afraid and that’s your answer,
When I was a kid we had oracle and Ceefax and had to wait days for any news and there were only a few reporters you followed on the news. Now every tw@t is making money from us including so called fans like Goldberg. We sell stories as the OP said. Let rm get on with it. WE WILL BE BACK

Champagne Football

I think many fans and media are not seeing the bigger picture and creating a doom and gloom narrative that is nowhere near as bad as it seems. We started our preseason a few weeks after everyone else and did our transfer business late in the window like a lot of big clubs tend to do, so we're still playing catch up.

Ole has stayed faithful to the XI that did so well at the end of last season to grab 3rd spot, and there's no reason that Xi can't go on a winning run again, but so far the likes of Pogba, Matic, Shaw, Greenwood, Bruno, Maguire all look off the pace still. But that form will come. With Telles, Cavani and De Beek ready to go straight into the first XI, I think it's very likely we'll go on a winning run soon.

Dve

It´s the dynamics of the press, kicking the ones lying down. Sometimes I feel I would have liked to hear the viewpoints of the other side.

Phil

Thank you for some logical reasoning here.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
It’s not really surprising when it’s not just opposition but our own fans thriving in it

Artimities

Media are like politicians.... full of shite!
It pains me to read junk media but I have learned to embrace and feed off of the negativity. I hope this team will as well.

I read just today that Bruno and Maguire got into it at half time. Heard Bruno tore into him for not being a leader. Who knows if it’s true but either way the team needs to harness that energy and bring it to the pitch.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Yes. It's been glossed over as an irrelevance when the game was pretty even at that point. Our players falling to bits was despicable but that decision 100% factored in against a great spurs side.

I hope so. But my point is that we are fans of the club and as pathetic as it might sound it feels like they really are trying to turn us against our players all the time with these constant articles about how embarassing we are etc etc. Well maybe - but we are supposed to stand by our players and not encourage all those idiots on twitter to start sending even MORE abuse towards our guys. Anybody that plays football knows you always play better if you feel like you're trusted and not under a microscope for every single pass.
From a fans point of view you’re not that different from other clubs. after our results against Chelsea, you and Everton, half of North Stand Chat (Brighton forum) was calling for Potter to be sacked as well. People just love to over react and vent online. The trouble is there’s more United fans than most other clubs so it gets magnified even more.

RUCK4444

Everybody loves to hate United - including, unfortunately, most of our own fans these days. We are an easier target than ever because our fans want to believe everything that's said and written.
This this this.

And it’s what makes it then very easy for the clowns running the club to sack the manager instead of taking any responsibility, because our own fans want our manager gone every time there is a bump in the road. Sickens me.