The overwhelming number of negative articles in the media

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
We are extremely upset about what is going on at the club and rightly so.
If someone thinks Ole is shit, they love an article ‘proving‘ that. If someone thinks Ed Woodward has fecked up they love an article ‘Proving’ it and revel in posting the links and sharing said articles tweets. So if the fans are the first to click these and sometimes I feel enjoy the critisicm then it’s obvious the press will live up to it

TheGodsInRed

What else would you be writing about if you were a football journalist right now?

Clicks pay the bills.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
We don't even win anything anymore. Don't know why everyone hates us so much.

tjb

It's been 3 games after a season of finishing third. We've been "embarassing" since Sancho didn't sign in August. The cloud of negativity already existed...the start We have had just made it a little bit worse. A few wins, getting our fitness back and no transfer window will help us get back. The club need to close up shop in regard to the media, they are not our friends, never have been and its fair now that we treat them with the disdain they deserve.

More than any media drivel has been the talk from our ex players recently.. Keane coming out and spewing trash about Ole being under pressure, Evra embarassing himself on TV because Woodward won't pick up the call of an agent wanting us to sign a player, insulting the other players while letting Pogba ride. I understand even Neville's anger at the way the club has been run, but I do not think they last two seasons have been an indication of that and I feel this has been an overreaction to a fitness issue. Ole or not, the board has done well over the last two seasons. There is pressure coming from all sides, what we need to do is just keep it tight and make them eat their words.

Foxbatt

If someone thinks Ole is shit, they love an article ‘proving‘ that. If someone thinks Ed Woodward has fecked up they love an article ‘Proving’ it and revel in posting the links and sharing said articles tweets. So if the fans are the first to click these and sometimes I feel enjoy the critisicm then it’s obvious the press will live up to it
Are the fans wrong in thinking that Ole is shit and Woodward has fecked up?

Jibbs

The OP thinks everything is fine with the club, it has passionate owners, amazing ceo, world class manager, a DoF with critical insights and knowledge (lol), the club just won the league and europa cup and has thrashed previous manager's team 6 1 at their own home. On top of that we just had a brilliant transfer window where we have made all the right signings in areas we needed most.
Stupid ABUs, biased media and delusional fans

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Are the fans wrong in thinking that Ole is shit and Woodward has fecked up?
I think each fan believes what they want and read. Some think Ole makes great signings, some think Ed has made shit signings. They can’t both be true.

I could have used any examples, I think you know that

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
United fans are massively spoilt and need to get some perspective but at the end of the day a club of our size that has grown even more commercially over the last 6 years should have a much better football team. The media are almost perplexed.

Foxbatt

I think each fan believes what they want and read. Some think Ole makes great signings, some think Ed has made shit signings. They can’t both be true.

I could have used any examples, I think you know that
I personally have not much issues about Ole's signings. They are good players but I feel that they have not been used properly. Ed or the Board has fecked up a lot of things.

KeanoMagicHat

Is it the media or is it the fans of the club? Most fans are pretty negative about the club now online at least and seem to enjoy permanently moaning about the club's fortunes. There are genuine problems that deserve to be criticised but you will see people say "x and y player isn't good enough, we should be winning the league" or "rip it all up and start again" but that's not how it works is it? If it was that easy, United would have won the league and Champions League under more than 2 managers since the Second World War.

Liverpool tried for 30 years to find the magic formula, with ex-pros as managers like Souness, boot room men like Roy Evans, best of foreign managers like Benitez, best of England like Hodgson. Yet it was only when they got Klopp, Salah, Van Dijk etc that it all really clicked and came together.

United lost their greatest manager Alex Ferguson, their best operator behind the scenes David Gill, two of their best and long-standing players in their history in Scholes and Giggs and their best ever defensive partnership in Ferdinand and Vidic all within a year or two. When you also include Rooney declining, Carrick retiring, it was always an uphill battle. None of the managers we have had since have been particularly amazing and Moyes was a disastrous appointment.

But at what point do you just accept it for what it is and actually enjoy when we win games? There have actually been a lot of great moments this year. The manager who was a playing legend and loved the club at the helm. Rashford a local lad doing United proud by campaigning to end child poverty. Winning several games with Rashford, Greenwood and Martial all coming through and growing at the club, playing as a front 3 playing in an exciting way. Beating Man City, Chelsea and Leicester. Stupid talk of a relegation battle this time last year and ending up 3rd in the table.

We sign one of the best strikers of the past 10 years, albeit past his peak, on a free transfer and the reaction is completely toxic. We fail to sign Sancho, who wasn't worth the money anyway, lose 2 of the first 3 games, and it's like nothing in the past 9 months even happened. The team had no pre-season whatsoever and it's a broken, bonkers season. Every player in the team needs replacing, Ole out, it's too depressing to watch this club anymore. It's madness. Just a reminder that Liverpool lost 7-2 to Aston Villa, City lost 5-2 at home to Leicester.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
I personally have not much issues about Ole's signings. They are good players but I feel that they have not been used properly. Ed or the Board has fecked up a lot of things.
So who signed or wanted cavani in your opinion, Ed, Ole or someone else? I often see here that Ed likes a galactico signing, I wonder what report to believe this week

Denis79

We’ve just been humiliated 6-1, at home, by our last manager, after starting the season in rotten form. And our transfer window has been pure hubris. Yet again. Plus we’re one of the biggest, most popular clubs in the world. How can anyone be surprised or annoyed about negative press coverage this week?!?
Well said.

el3mel

Really weird how the media is talking negatively about us. We are doing great, smashing teams and dominating trophies. How dare they.

Foxbatt

So who signed or wanted cavani in your opinion, Ed, Ole or someone else? I often see here that Ed likes a galactico signing, I wonder what report to believe this week
I think it is Ed with all the negativity around the lack of transfers. Cavani was a big name. I do not think it is a bad move either. He brings something else to the team but hope Ole knows how to use him properly. He is not going to be able to play like Martial or Rashford with balls over the top.

Denis79

I think it is Ed with all the negativity around the lack of transfers. Cavani was a big name. I do not think it is a bad move either. He brings something else to the team but hope Ole knows how to use him properly. He is not going to be able to play like Martial or Rashford with balls over the top.
This is what I'm looking forward to, see if Ole can set us up differently.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
I agree I don’t think cavani is a bad signing. My point was depending who or what you read determines who makes our signings. ‘Good‘ ones Like Maguire and wan bissaka were Ole signings, superstars are Ed’s signings. Maybe they are both choosing their own players which is leading to our mishmash of a team

clarkydaz

United fans are massively spoilt and need to get some perspective but at the end of the day a club of our size that has grown even more commercially over the last 6 years should have a much better football team. The media are almost perplexed.
Fans are genuinely concerned about the club. its toxic.

trafford1980

Hated. Adored. Never Ignored.

Relish the attention whilst we still have it.

No one talks about other teams awful transfer windows because no-one gives a feck.

Foxbatt

I agree I don’t think cavani is a bad signing. My point was depending who or what you read determines who makes our signings. ‘Good‘ ones Like Maguire and wan bissaka were Ole signings, superstars are Ed’s signings. Maybe they are both choosing their own players which is leading to our mishmash of a team
I personally do not think Ed is going to sign any player over the vehement protests of the manager be it LVG, Jose or Ole.

tjb

Is it the media or is it the fans of the club? Most fans are pretty negative about the club now online at least and seem to enjoy permanently moaning about the club's fortunes. There are genuine problems that deserve to be criticised but you will see people say "x and y player isn't good enough, we should be winning the league" or "rip it all up and start again" but that's not how it works is it? If it was that easy, United would have won the league and Champions League under more than 2 managers since the Second World War.

Liverpool tried for 30 years to find the magic formula, with ex-pros as managers like Souness, boot room men like Roy Evans, best of foreign managers like Benitez, best of England like Hodgson. Yet it was only when they got Klopp, Salah, Van Dijk etc that it all really clicked and came together.

United lost their greatest manager Alex Ferguson, their best operator behind the scenes David Gill, two of their best and long-standing players in their history in Scholes and Giggs and their best ever defensive partnership in Ferdinand and Vidic all within a year or two. When you also include Rooney declining, Carrick retiring, it was always an uphill battle. None of the managers we have had since have been particularly amazing and Moyes was a disastrous appointment.

But at what point do you just accept it for what it is and actually enjoy when we win games? There have actually been a lot of great moments this year. The manager who was a playing legend and loved the club at the helm. Rashford a local lad doing United proud by campaigning to end child poverty. Winning several games with Rashford, Greenwood and Martial all coming through and growing at the club, playing as a front 3 playing in an exciting way. Beating Man City, Chelsea and Leicester. Stupid talk of a relegation battle this time last year and ending up 3rd in the table.

We sign one of the best strikers of the past 10 years, albeit past his peak, on a free transfer and the reaction is completely toxic. We fail to sign Sancho, who wasn't worth the money anyway, lose 2 of the first 3 games, and it's like nothing in the past 9 months even happened. The team had no pre-season whatsoever and it's a broken, bonkers season. Every player in the team needs replacing, Ole out, it's too depressing to watch this club anymore. It's madness. Just a reminder that Liverpool lost 7-2 to Aston Villa, City lost 5-2 at home to Leicester.
This. Particularly the part about last season seeming like it didnt happen. It's almost as though some of our "fans" have been waiting to bash the club and ole, but were delayed due to last years success. I understand their issues with the club and maybe signing a director of football may appease them, but I don't see what the club, board, whoever you want to call it, have done or could have done in the last two seasons to appease our fans anymore than they have.

The owners will not leave unless they sell the club. They have spent money over the last ten years, call it the clubs money or debt financing, but the fact remains they have spent more than most owners. They aren't arsenals owners who are usually skint, or the boards of both real and Barca that interfere.

Foxbatt

This. Particularly the part about last season seeming like it didnt happen. It's almost as though some of our "fans" have been waiting to bash the club and ole, but were delayed due to last years success. I understand their issues with the club and maybe signing a director of football may appease them, but I don't see what the club, board, whoever you want to call it, have done or could have done in the last two seasons to appease our fans anymore than they have.

The owners will not leave unless they sell the club. They have spent money over the last ten years, call it the clubs money or debt financing, but the fact remains they have spent more than most owners. They aren't arsenals owners who are usually skint, or the boards of both real and Barca that interfere.
A lot of fans have a decent knowledge of football so they know a cockup when they see one. When Moyes was signed my first reaction was Oh No not him. I am sure many fans thought the same but supported him because SAF said so. Most thought he may just be successful but from the start when he went on holiday people started realising that he was not up to the job and when he sacked the back room staff most people knew the jig was going to be up for him.
I still think LVG was sacked a season too early. Yes it was boring as heck but he was getting something going but from the moment he was forced to accept Giggs as his deputy I had a feeling it was not going to end well. I still think if Jose was at Chelsea LVG would not have been sacked. Jose was supposed to be an instant success and he almost got it in his second season but for some extreme good football by City. But he was never going to last anyway and Ole was unfit to be given the job. More unfit than Moyes to be honest. We all want success for the club and different fans think different managers should be given the job but the end result is the success for the club.

Leethal

Firstly, we're the most popular football team in the world - or at least one of. It's natural in this click-hungry world we're going to be getting all the attention.

Secondly, we've just been absolutely humiliated and battered 6-1 by the manager we sacked, on our own patch.

Thirdly, we just had a fecking horrendous transfer window; with our marquee iconic number 7 signing being a 33 year old striker we got on a free as he had no club and nobody half decent was interested, (so was looking at retirement), and has just finished up his career playing in the farmers league after spending the last two years in and out of injuries . . and oh yeah, he hasn't played a game in 7 months. I could go on and on about this fecking horrendous signing, but I ran that course yesterday.

And honestly, who really cares if we bought a couple of kids who might come good? They will have zero impact on the first team for a good while yet, when its our first team that needs addressing; as it is a steaming pile of turd that is either severely underperforming, or just simply not good enough? The media certainly doesn't.

Oh yeah, let's not forget we bought a squad-playing CM and a left back that was just about to have his contract expire from the Portuguese league.

Of course the media is going to be all over our shit. We brought it all on ourselves.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
United sell more than any other story. So of course writing about our demise gets clicks.

But also, let's not conveniently ignore that we are terribly run. You sound like you're sweeping everything under the carpet which isn't balanced either.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Firstly, we're the most popular football team in the world - or at least one of. It's natural in this click-hungry world we're going to be getting all the attention.

Secondly, we've just been absolutely humiliated and battered 6-1 by the manager we sacked, on our own patch.

Thirdly, we just had a fecking horrendous transfer window; with our marquee iconic number 7 signing being a 33 year old striker we got on a free as he had no club and nobody half decent was interested, (so was looking at retirement), and has just finished up his career playing in the farmers league after spending the last two years in and out of injuries . . and oh yeah, he hasn't played a game in 7 months. I could go on and on about this fecking horrendous signing, but I ran that course yesterday.

And honestly, who really cares if we bought a couple of kids who might come good? They will have zero impact on the first team for a good while yet, when its our first team that needs addressing; as it is a steaming pile of turd that is either severely underperforming, or just simply not good enough? The media certainly doesn't.

Oh yeah, let's not forget we bought a squad-playing CM and a left back that was just about to have his contract expire from the Portuguese league.

Of course the media is going to be all over our shit. We brought it all on ourselves.
I bet you read a good few of those articles licking your lips

Red4Life_#7

The club are thinking long term and the media and ex players (non MU) just don't get that. We can't expect great performances week in week out. It's a very young team and youth are always inconsistent.

Last season we were superb from Jan onwards. We saw great signs of the future... Bruno, Greenwood etc.

The club are also trying to stop teams ripping them off when we come knocking for their players. Sancho is worth 80-85m tops, Magiure 55m tops.

Thanks to LVG and mainly JM our scouting system is top class. Our project of buying the best young talent in the world/Europe will bear fruit in a few seasons from now.

We are on our way back to being one of Europe's best sides, but it will take at least 2 more years (unfortunately).

Leethal

Are you serious?

I'll tell you what they could have done:

They could have looked at strengthening and bridging the gap after last seasons overperformance, that somehow got us into 3rd place. We repeated the same mistake as after Jose got us second. We didn't build on it, again, as mediocrity and 4th place is all that matters seemingly. League and Champions League competitiveness costs too much, so feck that. 4th will do.

42 years I have supported United. I've seen the lot. From shite, to good, to stellar, to good, to shite again. But one thing that has always been a constant, up until now, is that we have been ambitious. This is where the fan frustration stems from. We aren't showing any real ambition when we have an opportunity to really push on and get us back to competing again.

This transfer window just passed was an absolute fecking disgrace. Our rivals and competitors, (who have significantly less money than us), all strengthened their first XI. We did not. We might have upgraded one position; Left back. And the jury is out on that one, too.

amolbhatia50k

I think there's an element of excessiveness from the media in this regard. But yeah I don't get it. There's constantly this call on the caf for people to be kind and positive with regards to United. I mean, how does pretending things are fine while the club is being run woefully actually help? I was positive at the end of last season when we got the bare minimum (4th) but when we're making absolute clowns of ourselves being all positive and "don't be harsh on United" only aims to serve the agenda of and protect the Glazers/Woodward. Don't know why United fans would want to protect them at this stage. I suppose this is why people feel our fans can't United for a cause. Becuase so many constantly in need of feeling like top reds and telling the world that things are okay.

amolbhatia50k

We’ve just been humiliated 6-1, at home, by our last manager, after starting the season in rotten form. And our transfer window has been pure hubris. Yet again. Plus we’re one of the biggest, most popular clubs in the world. How can anyone be surprised or annoyed about negative press coverage this week?!?
Bingo.

Leethal

I think there's an element of excessiveness from the media in this regard. But yeah I don't get it. There's constantly this call on the caf for people to be kind and positive with regards to United. I mean, how does pretending things are fine while the club is being run woefully actually help? I was positive at the end of last season when we got the bare minimum (4th) but when we're making absolute clowns of ourselves being all positive and "don't be harsh on United" only aims to serve the agenda of and protect the Glazers/Woodward. Don't know why United fans would want to protect them at this stage. I suppose this is why people feel our fans can't United for a cause. Becuase so many constantly in need of feeling like top reds and telling the world that things are okay.
Yep. 100%. All these people circle-jerking pretending everything is ok, are part of the problem. The quicker we stop accepting mediocrity, and start calling a spade a spade, the better as a club we will be. Because right now, things are not ok. Things need to change.

Leethal

I bet you read a good few of those articles licking your lips
Absolutely not. I fecking hate it. But I accept that it's about, because of our own fault. I'm not going to pretend everything is ok when it clearly is not. Why would I do that? I've been around this football club long enough to have seen it all, and as I stated earlier, right now is the lowest I have felt - as up until now, we've always shown ambition so the optimism and hope always existed.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Absolutely not. I fecking hate it. But I accept that it's about, because of our own fault. I'm not going to pretend everything is ok when it clearly is not. Why would I do that? I've been around this football club long enough to have seen it all, and as I stated earlier, right now is the lowest I have felt - as up until now, we've always shown ambition so the optimism and hope always existed.
But your moaning about things like shirt numbers. Made up icon numbers, no one give a shit about the 7 when beckham got it, was he continuing a massive history, what about when coppel wore it or owen or Valencia or any other number of players. We’ve had world class players play in all different numbers. The fact this gets to you so much seems like you just want the news to reinforce your views.
You then go on to absolutely slate that signing, a signing that Rio and RVP have spoke highly of, I think I’d rather take their views at the moment and see how the transfer works out.

it doesn’t mean someone is a top red just because they don’t moan about everything under the sun to do with United at the moment. There’s issues yeah but they are magnified times a hundred for clicks and a lot of our fans seem to lap it up.

Leethal

But your moaning about things like shirt numbers. Made up icon numbers, no one give a shit about the 7 when beckham got it, was he continuing a massive history, what about when coppel wore it or owen or Valencia or any other number of players. We’ve had world class players play in all different numbers. The fact this gets to you so much seems like you just want the news to reinforce your views.
You then go on to absolutely slate that signing, a signing that Rio and RVP have spoke highly of, I think I’d rather take their views at the moment and see how the transfer works out.

it doesn’t mean someone is a top red just because they don’t moan about everything under the sun to do with United at the moment. There’s issues yeah but they are magnified times a hundred for clicks and a lot of our fans seem to lap it up.
The shirt number was one of many points. I'm not sure why you pay particular attention to it. I associate the shirt with players I grew up with: Robson, Cantona, Beckham, Kanchelskis, Ronaldo, etc. I agree with you that the shirt lost it's romanticism recently when people like Valencia, Owen, Depay, Di Maria, and Sanchez got it. And for people of the younger generation, that's all they remember it for. Regardless, you can't deny that the #7 shirt has always been a special part of United's history, as even the club likes to carry on about the romance of the shirt, and we've just handed it over to a fecking 33 year old club-less Cavani who hasn't kicked a football in 7 months.

Feel free to take Rio and Van Persie's view. That's your right. Just like it's my right to despise the transfer. That's the thing about being a football club supporter - fans are allowed to have differing views; and this being a discussion board, is the correct forum to air those views.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
The shirt number was one of many points. I'm not sure why you pay particular attention to it. I associate the shirt with players I grew up with: Robson, Cantona, Beckham, Kanchelskis, Ronaldo, etc. I agree with you that the shirt lost it's romanticism recently when people like Valencia, Owen, Depay, Di Maria, and Sanchez got it. And for people of the younger generation, that's all they remember it for. Regardless, you can't deny that the #7 shirt has always been a special part of United's history, as even the club likes to carry on about the romance of the shirt, and we've just handed it over to a fecking 33 year old club-less Cavani who hasn't kicked a football in 7 months.

Feel free to take Rio and Van Persie's view. That's your right. Just like it's my right to despise the transfer. That's the thing about being a football club supporter - fans are allowed to have differing views; and this being a discussion board, is the correct forum to air those views.
I paid attention to it because it was your point you wrote most about. Your other two points are obvious and I agree we’re a big club and that we just lost 6-1 so they’re bound to cause stories.

The number though, that’s noise over nothing. I can’t remember a big fan fare around Cantona given the 7, I honestly can’t. I’m sure best played more in number 11 and that’s what the fuss was when Giggs was 11. The club make a big deal out of it these days because since then beckham and ronaldo have worn it, probably 2 of the most famous footballers in the last 20 years, it suits United now to make a deal out of it, it also suits the press to make a big deal out of it.

Leethal

I paid attention to it because it was your point you wrote most about. Your other two points are obvious and I agree we’re a big club and that we just lost 6-1 so they’re bound to cause stories.

The number though, that’s noise over nothing. I can’t remember a big fan fare around Cantona given the 7, I honestly can’t. I’m sure best played more in number 11 and that’s what the fuss was when Giggs was 11. The club make a big deal out of it these days because since then beckham and ronaldo have worn it, probably 2 of the most famous footballers in the last 20 years, it suits United now to make a deal out of it, it also suits the press to make a big deal out of it.
I mentioned it, as I mentioned many other points, while holistically ranting about Cavani.

I really don't care about it too much, tbh.

What I do care about is the fecking shithouse signing in Cavani. But like I said, I've ranted enough about that.

SirMattlives

The media know what attracts attention, so anything about us is fair game. You know how it is, a player does not join, for whatever reason, and it's headlined as a SNUB; we fail to buy someone and it's Ed's incompetence; fans are supposedly always pissed off; experts are always full of one-line answers to our problem, shirt number is apparently symbolic and causing uproar in the dressing room....blah blah blah. It sells so it gets said, so play the anti-United trope to catch the eyes of opposition fans and know United fans will also click. Rinse and repeat.

What's more frustrating for me is the tenor here, which is so reactionary, dismissive and and simplistic in its finger-pointing and whining. We're the fans....sometimes it's hard to believe. I wish there were more threads where we could seriously discuss the club and try to understand the coaching, the tactics, the management - it comes through in places but it is usually shouted down by naysayers who traffic in Daily Mirror-level 'insights' and 'analysis'. We all want the club to succeed and to play the game the right way. I like to think most of us want the club to behave the right way as an organization in the community too. Let the outsiders sneer and hate, we know why they do; no need for us to do so too. As for the new signings, let's just see, ok?

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
I mentioned it, as I mentioned many other points, while holistically ranting about Cavani.

I really don't care about it too much, tbh.

What I do care about is the fecking shithouse signing in Cavani. But like I said, I've ranted enough about that.
You made 3 points, with the number 7 and cavani being by far the biggest point. Sorry if I read it wrong and you didn’t mean it that way. I couldn’t give a shit who got the number either aslong whoever’s wearing it plays well, I hoping cavani will do that, he’s a class act

KristianMackle

Am I the only not to fussed that we missed out on Sancho? Especially at that price.

I'm quite excited about all our signings. Disappointed we didnt go for a CB but if Ole plays the right formation with the right players, we have every chance of being decent.

Telles gives us even more options from the width and have been wanting him at United for years, Cavani - if you feed him, he'll score, Donny is a starter and I don't know what Ole is doing but he needs to figure out a way to get him in there. The Uruguayan winger also gives us more depth and I'm excited to see what he's got. Diallo is probably the signing I'm most excited about; he'll make Pepe's price look silly.

I stopped watching Goldbridge and all the other fan pages for my sanity. There's a lot to be disappointed about but there's also a lot more to be excited about in my opinion.

Cloud7

When Ole first came in and put that run together there was nothing but fanfare in the media. When we beat PSG away the hype train went into overdrive. So it's both extremes like @spiriticon said.

The reality is, we've had two good runs of matches surrounded by horrendous football. The media reaction is also a culmination of our continued fall from grace.
Agreed on both counts here. This thread comes across as being overly sensitive. Even during the days of Sir Alex, there were constant negative articles about us. Almost every season started off with declaring 'the fall of the dynasty' and predicting us to flounder. This is nothing new. The difference now is that we're crap.

Fridge chutney

I ignore the press to be honest. Sensationalist garbage. We know our issues. The press knows shit, as proven this transfer window.