The Penalty Thread

peridigm

All the talk about penalties 3 games into the season got me thinking about penalties and the PL. I think this year will break the record for penalties awarded in the season, 106 in the 09/10 and 16/17 seasons. In comparison, the PL had 92 last season. Serie A had 152 last season. La Liga had 149. Last year we broke the record for a single team being awarded 14 while Everton, New Castle, and Sheffield had 1. 16 awarded so far 3 match weeks into the season and there are still matches left to play. That's a rate of around 190 penalties over a season! I don't think it will get that high as I believe it will have to be brought under control but that's a staggering amount if it continues. I like looking at numbers in a table so here are some sites that show various penalty stats in the PL era.

All time penalties awarded by season.
https://www.myfootballfacts.com/pre...ier-league/premier-league-penalty-statistics/

All time penalties awarded by club.
https://www.statbunker.com/alltimestats/AllTimeClubPenaltiesFor?comp_code=EPL

Club penalty stats by season.
https://www.transfermarkt.us/premier-league/topErhalteneElfmeter/wettbewerb/GB1

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Said elsewhere but penalty being last goal of the game is a cracking bet this season. Real Madrid usually get 7/8 a season and today we had it in Bayern Munich/Man. City/Spurs games. Usually at least a 20/1 shot from the 80th minute mark.

Simply going to be more penalties due to the handball interpretation and also I think lack of pre season means defenders are lacking timing in their challenges.

Could actually add 5-10m on the reliable penalty takers in the game.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Inevitable that this will be the record year for penalties in the PL now that their interpretation of the handball rule has been brought into line with that in other leagues.

Use of the pitchside monitor will probably also result in a net increase too.

Gonna be an erratic year.

kettledrumhamster

I think it's really spoiling things. Refs are just giving penalties if there's the slightest possibility, then using VAR to be proven wrong - but watching something ten times in super slow motion will always look worse and so it's actually quite hard to prove wrong. That means you're more likely to get a foul given against you in the box more than anywhere on the pitch - an inversion of the history of football - so we're seeing players just claim for everything, getting in front of the defender and falling over. Unless it's very clear like Pogba's against Brighton, it won't be overridden. So Maddison's today, he just knew if there was any contact at all he could fling himself to the ground and there was a greater chance than ever before of getting a penalty. And a penalty is such a huge advantage which ofter bears little relationship to the threat at the time of the foul/handball. If things are going to be this way, then I honestly think we should make the box smaller or increase the distance of the penalty spot. Never gonna happen because goals are good for business, especially in new markets, but being in a position where a penalty is as good as guaranteed in every match does not make football better.

If you were Newcastle, wouldn't you just try and get as many big looping balls into the box for Carroll to win - not to score from, but hopefully to hit a defender's arm? That ain't football as I know or love it.

And people might say that a lot of penalties given are the right decision, but that kind of misses the point. VAR is being relied on for the opposite reason it was intended for - not to spot things the referee didn't, but to acquiesce to those barely possible penalties that he thought he did see.

To show the discrepancy when VAR is available:

Championship (without VAR) has had 7 pens in 72 matches - just under 1 in 10.
Premier League (with VAR) has had 20 in 45 - nearly 1 in 2.

That's not a coincidence. And whether you can invoke the rules or not, it just changes the game in (I think) a negative way.

Having said all that, it was hilarious that it impacted Mourinho today. God I love to see him being hard done to.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Richard Keys getting super salty over all our penalties. I’m yet to see someone moaning about them that is also able to point out which ones we shouldn’t have been awarded.

Idxomer

Richard Keys getting super salty over all our penalties. I’m yet to see someone moaning about them that is also able to point out which ones we shouldn’t have been awarded.
It’s not the team's fault defenders can't handle the quick feet of our forwards in the penalty area.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
All our penalties so far this year have been nailed on. The least convincing was probably the Newcastle one, but that was still a penalty.

SinNombre

Have you seen the bbc live commentary?

Every second comment allowed about United is about the penalties.

Today, they are also allowing comments on the unfairness of Navas not being allowed to cheat.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
It was a penalty but one which Martial created using striker dark arts.

Get right and wrap a leg around defender on the turn.

Oldest trick in the book. I used to train my under 15 team strikers to do the same.

Irwin99

If you play with ultra quick forwards who run in behind chances are you'll get them given.

Most of them have been stonewall penalties but I have to also say, the standard of defending is hilariously bad. The last two penalties Martial has won have been dumb as hell. Both definite penalties but the defending :lol: So many penalties from last season were like that. Not complaining though :D

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
If you ignore the league cup ties (because it helps my point) we've been awarded penalties in our last 7 games in a row :lol:

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Our constant penalties are a huge part to Martial more than Bruno just scoring them.

Respect to both.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
He's a nightmare in the box because the balls glued to his feet.
Yeah he makes a turn and the ball is with him, which leaves the defender going for his legs most of the time